Am I the only one in this day and age that feels that WIFI should be free to everyone

Disagree.

The technology it takes to delivery high speed Internet to ships (which will begin to appear on the Oasis class and Quantum class ships soon) is expensive to deploy.

I'd agree the current slow version should be much cheaper...but the new stuff at or below the current rates.

Pure profit to the cruise line. Unlikely they'd give up that revenue stream that costs then nothing to provide.

But yes, I agree with you.

That is very naive. Do you really think all the IT equipment, cabling, space, HVAC for onboard IT, etc. is free? Not to mention the charges for actual transmission of data to satellites while at sea, provided through a third party? There is no doubt that cruise lines make a profit but it is completely wrong to state it costs them nothing to provide.

Pure profit to the cruise line. Unlikely they'd give up that revenue stream that costs then nothing to provide.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

It's not even close to pure profit. Traditional satellite internet service is EXPENSIVE, and even when they get o3b up and running on the Oasis and Quantum ships it will still cost Royal Caribbean a huge amount, as each o3b satellite can only talk to 10 ground stations at a time so each ship will be using 10% of a $25 million satellite .

Edited by ahecht

I am glad it is not free. I get tired of seeing people with their faces in their phones. I can imagine the whole ship walking and texting and bumping into me. So nice to tell people back home that I am totally unavailable.

Same here. I love being disconnected. I don't want to subsidize others need to be online.

When did "I want" equate to "give it to me free"?

Let's see, devleop the technology, build it, stick it on the top of a rocket, then make an effort to sell you service. And those that buy it, they should eat the costs so you can have it free?

Nothing is free. Nothing.

Edited by TEXASMUNK

OK, let's see if we can understand this. People who book and pay for suites will get upgraded service, people who cruise often will receive perks, people who pay for unlimited drinks will receive same, if you want specialty dinning....guess what.... PAY for it. If you want unlimited internet you should expect to pay for it. No one owes you anything.

Not sure I disagree with you, but I would also like to see the fares raised so I can drink as much alcohol as I want. They could just charge you a little more and my 20 drinks a day would be paid for. Seriously, it is just a revenue stream for them. It does not cost them $5 for a beer, so raising YOUR cruise price by an extra $100 per week would make my cruise cheaper!!!:D

Same idea as yours, but slanted to my vice, beer, vs your vice of wifi.

How do you reach the conclusion that it costs them nothing to provide?

I don't think it is pure revenue

As said before if it was included the infrastructure would need to be a lot bigger to cater for the huge demand

Supply demand pricing and what equipment is feasible

I think what they are doing is great

Sent from my iPhone using Forums