Book next cruise onboard or later?

Alberta Quilter

We're boarding the Westerdam this weekend. We have an eye on a cruise for next year. We already have FCDs. Is it better to book the next cruise onboard or wait until we get home and book? I know there is a promo that comes out, via email, after a cruise has ended offering additional OBC if one books within a certain time frame.

Can someone advise what, if any, perks are offered if we book the cruise onboard?

Thank you!

I always buy "open" FCDs and do not book on board. You still get the reduced deposit and the FCD OBC if you book after you get home. And even if you don't get the Welcome Home email 0 ask your TA to use the ZPN/ZPM code and you get that OBC, too.

I've never had a problem getting the cabin I want once I get home and book then.

This last cruise rather than waiting and waiting for the Future Cruise Consultant to show up...I just filled out the form and left it in the box...and got the deposit certificates 3 days later.

I always buy "open" FCDs and do not book on board.

This last cruise rather than waiting and waiting for the Future Cruise Consultant to show up...I just filled out the form and left it in the box...and got the deposit certificates 3 days later.

Good idea. Does anyone know if we would be able to buy a FCD on board for our DD, who will not be with us on this cruise, bur perhaps the next?

Does anyone know if they send out the letters after the cruise if you have FCDs on their records. I am not sure but we have not usually had such letters but if we have not actually booked a cruise on board we get an FCD instead. The purpose of the letter is to keep you with HAL and arguably they may think they have done that with an FCD. Just wondering.

Does anyone know if they send out the letters after the cruise if you have FCDs on their records. I am not sure but we have not usually had such letters but if we have not actually booked a cruise on board we get an FCD instead. The purpose of the letter is to keep you with HAL and arguably they may think they have done that with an FCD. Just wondering.

On our last cruise, in May, we already had one FCD and purchased another. We had no other cruises booked at the time. After arriving home, we both received an email offering further OBC if we booked within 60 days. I think it was a newer version of the Welcome Back email offer.

Thanks for the other responses to my query. I'm not as concerned about the cabin of choice as others may be. As long as we get a decent cabin that fits our requirements and budget, we're good.

We're boarding the Westerdam this weekend. We have an eye on a cruise for next year. We already have FCDs. Is it better to book the next cruise onboard or wait until we get home and book? I know there is a promo that comes out, via email, after a cruise has ended offering additional OBC if one books within a certain time frame.

Can someone advise what, if any, perks are offered if we book the cruise onboard?

Thank you!

Hey, no fair! This is your second cruise and I'm still waiting for mine:(. I hope you know I'm joking;). I have nothing to add to the conversation other then to wish you a wonderful time.

Good idea. Does anyone know if we would be able to buy a FCD on board for our DD, who will not be with us on this cruise, bur perhaps the next?

Yes you can buy a FCD for your daughter, when you're on board.

Alberta Quilter, I think your best bet is buy your FCD without setting up a cruise while on board. Then when you get home wait for the 'welcome home' email and apply that and your FCD to the cruise you want. That way you get double OBC........nice.:)

Hey, no fair! This is your second cruise and I'm still waiting for mine:(. I hope you know I'm joking;). I have nothing to add to the conversation other then to wish you a wonderful time.

Well, this is my Bingo win cruise! Yes, I know you're joking. If it makes you feel better, this is only a 5 day cruise. But we have one heck of a roll call! About 850 posts for a 5 day cruise!!!

Alberta Quilter, I think your best bet is buy your FCD without setting up a cruise while on board. Then when you get home wait for the 'welcome home' email and apply that and your FCD to the cruise you want. That way you get double OBC........nice.:)

Thanks, PE! That's the way I'm leaning; just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. We already have the FCD; one each in US$ and Cdn$. My only concern is not getting that welcome home email. But we have no other cruises booked; well, not with HAL, so, hopefully, we'll get the email.

Well, this is my Bingo win cruise! Yes, I know you're joking. If it makes you feel better, this is only a 5 day cruise. But we have one heck of a roll call! About 850 posts for a 5 day cruise!!!

Excellent! It does make me feel a bit better:D. Dress warm, it's cold on those

repositioning cruises.

Thank you!

I would say to book on board. If it turns out this would not work for you, you can always cancel.

I have heard this often by various cruise consultants on HAL... Would my TA not be able to get me any of the available cabins same as the consultant on board?

Carol

The pool of available cabins could easily be reduced if you wait. If a particular cabin is important to you, or if there are very few cabins left in your preferred category, it's better to book sooner than later.

One time I snagged the last cabin in the category I wanted. Had I waited, who knows if it would have been gone.

I agree - buy your FCD onboard and wait 2-3 weeks for your welcome home email - get double OBC that way. If no welcome home email, tell your travel agent to use Code ZPM or ZPN anyway.

I would only book onboard if they were to offer something better than I could get online (check out your potential cruise on the website before you go to know what is a good deal).

DaveOKC

We have not bought any FCD's in about 2 years. Thus nothing on record.

And still no e-mails.

I think you will also need her Mariner #, but they might be able to look that up for you.

I'm often a do it yourself online planner but when I'm on a ship I take advantage of the FCC and her knowledge and the speed with which she can provide the info needed to make a decision. Earlier this month my TC and I were all set to book a cruise for next September after first discussing it in June but ended up booking another one instead when we found there weren't any cabins left in the category we wanted. Also, I've not had trouble making a deposit/booking a cruise for someone not on board with me. Just gave the name and phone number to confirm and she could get the Mariner # on file.

We will be sailing in Nov... on the Noordham... have sailed HAL once

before.. but have not taken advantage of the FCD... will someone tell me how much that is when you do this on board... and also is there a time frame to have to use it??

We have taken advantage of this while on Princess, and love it.. so wondering if HAL is about the same procedure. thanks for your help.

We will be sailing in Nov... on the Noordham... have sailed HAL once

before.. but have not taken advantage of the FCD... will someone tell me how much that is when you do this on board... and also is there a time frame to have to use it??

We have taken advantage of this while on Princess, and love it.. so wondering if HAL is about the same procedure. thanks for your help.

For shorter cruises (under 14 days?), the deposit is only $100 pp and you have up to 4 years to use it. You can cancel or transfer deposit to another cruise up to the cancellation date without penalty. I know some people place a deposit without booking while on board.

Thanks so much Meke'sMom for your reply... I had hoped that is what it would be.. Also like the fact that you don't have to book while on the ship.. as we sometimes don't know where or when we will be going.. we usually do 10=11 day cruises... so its always nice to have that extra OBC..plus the reduced deposit...