Just received 3* status

northernphoenix

Received confirmation from HAL...I do see the benefits, and the one Q I have is about the deviation waiver. I won a cruise for 2, while on the Eurodam, and should I make flight arrangements with HAL? DD and I will fly to Ft. Lauderdale from Ontario, Canada. How can I take advantage of this ?

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my opinion, you ought to do some shopping for flights and airfares. I have found HAL's airfares, thus using the air deviation waiver, far superior to any airfares that I could find on my own on open jaw tickets. For example: DAY to LAX; LAX-AKL; Vancouver-DAY.

Even flying Business Class, the savings were significant by using HAL air.

Have you booked your winning cruise yet? If not, when you call HAL's World Cruise Reservations to book your cruise, inquire about adding flights to your ticket. As others have noted, it makes sense to check out the price of flights yourself just to see if it is viable to purchase flights through HAL.

If you do add flights and need to change the flights, that is when the air deviation fee comes into play. HAL will not charge you the normal fee that it charges to change the flight tickets, but it will change you any increase in costs that may result from the change. For instance, if you were to go from 2 connecting flights at $250 to a direct flight at $300, you will be required to pay the $50 difference.

Hope tho shelps. The staff at the World Cruise Reservations should be able to answer any questions that you may have.

Congratulations on become '3' star and for winning the cruise.

Hope you realize that you don't have to do a Caribbean cruise for that freebie.

You actually can do a West Coast cruise or even an Alaska cruise.

Indeed, the prize included a 7 day on the Mexican itineraries, as well,as the Caribbean. No mention of Ak, but we have visited twice,and a hot weather itinerary in February would be awesome, since we live in Northern Ontario. Our winters are BRUTAL.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Coangratulations. Kind of interesting, when I made 3* (Veendam 9/13), the pin was sitting on my bed late in the cruise, although the benefits did not kick in until my next cruise. As others have said, compare HAL's price with what you can get outside. Coming back from my 6/15 Prinsendam cruise HAL's price was through the roof, while I got a great one way deal on my return from Rio next January. You really never know until you compare.

Roy

Cruise air pricing is all over the map. We priced open jaw to Santiago and back from Buenos A. Cruise air was much higher priced than what we could do on our own.

Just purchased one way cruise air home from Europe that was a bargain. But, there was a large price variance between airline options. Fortunately for us our airline of choice and preferred routing was one of the lowest priced options. We have never found cruise air in NA, on any cruise line, worth buying however this could simply be 'luck of the draw' as it were.