Positive Things you love on cruise ship

Aqua water

What a nice thread! Here are my top 10 reasons for cruising (in no particular order):

1) I can do everything I want - or nothing at all. Most relaxing way to spend holidays

2) see many different places without having to pack/unpack all the time

3) meet many nice people from all over the world

4) great food

5) escape the winter climate by cruising the Canary Islands

6) try new things I never cared about at home

7) have holdidays between the "real" holidays (I live about 1 hr. each by car/train from the 3 major German cruise ports so it´s easy to fit in a 3-4 days cruise on a long weekend)

8) I can take family members who can´t fly for medical reasons on holidays with me and spend a great time together and get them to see places they would never be able to see

9) sunrise and sunset on sea are overwhelming each time I sit there watching

10) cruising is why I am a member with 2 great cruise forums (cruisecritic and a German one) and being online in these forums is almost like a little cruise :D

Embarkation day is definitely our favourite day - the anticipation of a fantastic cruise and having that first cocktail in the Sunset Bar.

Sitting on the balcony, watching the wake from our aft cabin, kindle in one hand and a glass of vino in the other on a sea day, watching the sea go by. Peace, perfect peace

Sail aways each day - glass in hand again toasting the place you're leaving and looking forward to the next one.

Coming back to the cabin at the end of a great day, bed turned down, lights dimmed and that chocolate on the pillow (we hope).

I love the boink noise too as we board - but it always makes me cry when I leave for the last time .... :(

Edited by Presto2

Appreciate the great and varied mentions on this thread. Helps bring back nice memories from our five previous sailing experiences. We are somewhat "newbies" compared to others on these boards.

Yes, the sail-aways can be great, especially in scenic locations such as Venice, Sydney, Kotor, Norway's coast, etc. Love nice areas of the ship, such as the Solarium on the Solstice-class ships. Like the evening entertainment programs. Below are a few visuals to prove why and how for these opinions.

We are now getting ready for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. First time for these areas of the world. Fun doing that future research and planning!!

PLUS, the best part? Seeing great locations around the world, not having to do too much work with the logistics, packing and unpacking, etc.

Yes, lots of good food and drinks, too!! Being with friends, wife, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 79,422 views for this fun posting.

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Don’t miss the sail-out and/or sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of our ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

Here is one of our Cruise Critic group, capturing some of the folks during our sail-away party at the Sunset Bar on the magical 15th level of the Solstice. Such a wonderful location to soak up the spectacular sights during this sail-away.:

SydneyDepartSolstice9_zps1cd6db7a.jpg

Here is a photo highlight from our ship's production show called "Ghostlight--The Spirit of Broadway". Lots of great tunes, including many from the Four Seasons as done on Broadway with Jersey Boys. Nice lighting, staging, sets, etc.:

SolsticeShows17_zps45d5d28d.jpg

For me, the best part of cruising is:

Waking up somewhere new every day, even if that somewhere new is just in the middle of "no where"

Being greeted by name by staff who has never met you. It's such a small thing but it makes me smile every time.

Having a wide array of food at my fingertips, even with allergies!

The sound of the waves, the smell of the ocean air...

But best of all - forced to be UNPLUGGED while at sea. That down time from being connected to digital devices is priceless!!!!

To the original poster....thanks for starting such a lovely, positive

thread:)

I love many of the things mentioned by previous posters.:D

Having my bed made & bathroom cleaned....:).....and wait, the

bed turned down at the end of the evening too!

Not having a worry in the world for a week:)

Having 1 or 2 ...or maybe even 3 of those wonderful cocktails in

the Molecular Bar......ahhhhh............

Seeing staff and crew I have possibly sailed with before....they are

all terrific:) and yes, meeting new folks as well....always a smile

and a greeting......

Now, I just have to wait about 40 more days and will be looking

forward to experiencing all the above on REFLECTION:D

Oh and that peaceful, serene wake....looking out from the balcony...

It is all good...........

OH MY GOODNESS! Reading this thread is getting me sooooo excited! I want my whole family to read it and join me in anxious anticipation for our first RC sailing coming up Dec 20. Yes, instead of flying everyone home for Christmas, we're doing Christmas in the Caribbean on the Oasis. Cannot wait... To see my family all together (we have two adult children living far from home - one now married in CA and one in law school in Chicago) - plus two teens at home here in CO. It has been a dream of mine to get everyone together for a vacay, and as I read through these descriptions I am busting with gratitude that we will all experience such blessings as one big spread out and growing fam! :) WOOHOO!!!!!!!

OH, and thanks especially for the pictures and fun little details. That shot of the Solarium is stunning, and now I look forward to hearing my Sea Pass "boonk" for the first time. LOL!

OH MY GOODNESS! Reading this thread is getting me sooooo excited! I want my whole family to read it and join me in anxious anticipation for our first RC sailing coming up Dec 20. Yes, instead of flying everyone home for Christmas, we're doing Christmas in the Caribbean on the Oasis. Cannot wait... To see my family all together (we have two adult children living far from home - one now married in CA and one in law school in Chicago) - plus two teens at home here in CO. It has been a dream of mine to get everyone together for a vacay, and as I read through these descriptions I am busting with gratitude that we will all experience such blessings as one big spread out and growing fam! :) WOOHOO!!!!!!!

OH, and thanks especially for the pictures and fun little details. That shot of the Solarium is stunning, and now I look forward to hearing my Sea Pass "boonk" for the first time. LOL!

Hi,:) hope you have a wonderful cruise with your family but I want to

make sure you know the photos on here are of Celebrity's ships.

I have a feeling Oasis looks nothing like the pictures on this thread:eek:

Just don't want you to get confused once you board your ship. I don't

know if Oasis has a Solarium Pool that looks like the S class pool. I have

not sailed Oasis before but I believe they are quite different from each other.

Now, I have sailed all the S class ships:) and I do love the Solariium Pool!

Edited by Lois R

I think it is more of a 'boink' - but it may be our English accent affecting translation. ;):) Have a great cruise :D

My keys are:

1) getting on ship with no schedule to speak of for the next 8-14 days to speak of.

2) locking cell phones and iPads in safe for next 8-14 days- zero contact with outside world.

3) doing what we want, when we want.

4) worry about nothing except what my next drink will be.

There are way to many things to list, but here are a few of mine:

• Feeling all stress and worries slide of your body as soon as you enter the ship for the first time
  • Being able to disconnect from everything/everywhere and only reconnect when YOU want to
  • Coming into your cabin at night and find it in turn-down mode
  • Being rocked to sleep by the motion of the sea
  • Not having to carry your wallet/mobile phone around, just your seapass
  • Enjoying a nice meal every night...with waiters that start to know your preferences after your first meal...It's so nice to have them bring your favourite beverage to you as soon as you sat down
  • Enjoying a nice cooked breakfast every morning and taking the time to digest your food

Just some things...I could go on and on :cool:

Great thread!

I agree with all of the previous posts about the joys of cruising - no housework, no going to work, complete relaxation, the anticipation of the weeks before the cruise, the fantastic feeling of first stepping aboard, the delicious food and drinks, meeting new friends, waking up and opening the balcony doors and breathing in the sea air, waking up in a new place each day, or waking up to a sea day of fun......

But most of all, the thing I love about cruising is spending quality time with my husband. No work, no television, no phones, no emails. Just wonderful quality time and spending every minute together. On some of our busy days during a normal week we might only see each other for half an hour! But on a cruise I really cherish the time we spend together. We talk, reconnect and make new memories. I Can't wait until our next cruise!

Definitely unpacking once.

No internet or phones, both of us are either on call or work some weekends as well as the 50hr+ working week, so love being a nobody to anyone.😜 being off line & uncontactable.

People watching. I giggle at petty bickering or smile at the romances, flirting, preening or chasing going on.😍

Being out on the balcony watching the water / waves / clouds.

Lapping around the ship & trying to beat my (imaginary) walking competitor who possibly has no idea I wait till I pass them, get around a bend and trot to try & pass them at an earlier spot on the next lap, ☺️ & in my head we are competing for gold / the ship / the next country! Cannot let them know I am cheating though!!!

The food. Choices choices choices. Just a little bit of this, a smidgen of that, a couple of those, another one of them, ooooh, they just came out fresh from the kitchen, must grab one + one for the "table minder"!!!

Plus everything else listed!

There are way to many things to list, but here are a few of mine:

[*]Feeling all stress and worries slide of your body as soon as you enter the ship for the first time

[*]Being able to disconnect from everything/everywhere and only reconnect when YOU want to

[*]Coming into your cabin at night and find it in turn-down mode

[*]Being rocked to sleep by the motion of the sea

All of these things are why I cruise - most importantly to disconnect - do not care if the internet is slow or not working - cruising is one of those vacations where I can tell the boss "sorry but I can't check in every day on my email".

The sound of the waves against the boat and the motion are sooooo relaxing. I can't wait till our trip next September.

I love just showing up for dinner without thinking about what to prepare for dinner each and every night! Just show up, enjoy being waited on with great food, and then leave.

Eating outside in the sea air is just my favorite thing to do. (We haven't gone on our Celebrity cruise yet, but I loved this on the Island Princess and Disney ships, so I'm looking forward to it on Eclipse next summer.)

So many things to do on the ship - or do nothing -- and there's something to everyone's taste. Listening to music from a comfy chair and watching people go by.

Having a drink with my husband outside under the moon.

Latte with breakfast.

Getting up to see where in the world we are today. Watching the process as we dock from the balcony.

1. Anticipating my next cruise --

-- shopping for my next itinerary, best deal

-- watching for prices going down

-- signing up for my roll call and meeting my fellow cruisers

2. Once I'm on the ship --

-- Cafe Bachio and all those yummy drinks

-- Bistro on 5 waiting for the rooms to open

-- going on excursions with CC buddies

-- Romantic dinners with DH

-- Fun dinners with fellow cruisers

-- Salmon, creamcheese, capers and red onions on bagels

-- Lamb - chops, racks, shanks - I love them all

-- Lobster - ordering 2 entrees

-- and finally, waking up to the ship sailing into a new port

Melissa

Great thread!

I agree with all of the previous posts about the joys of cruising - no housework, no going to work, complete relaxation, the anticipation of the weeks before the cruise, the fantastic feeling of first stepping aboard, the delicious food and drinks, meeting new friends, waking up and opening the balcony doors and breathing in the sea air, waking up in a new place each day, or waking up to a sea day of fun......

But most of all, the thing I love about cruising is spending quality time with my husband. No work, no television, no phones, no emails. Just wonderful quality time and spending every minute together. On some of our busy days during a normal week we might only see each other for half an hour! But on a cruise I really cherish the time we spend together. We talk, reconnect and make new memories. I Can't wait until our next cruise!

Ditto. Well said!