Italian Specialty

DesertPesce7751

We've never been to Canaletto. It didn't really look that impressive from the outside being just a corner of the Lido restaurant. What has everyone's experience been with dining there? Is it worth it? We're going on a longer cruise this time (1 month) and might consider mixing it up if there are enough dishes that aren't focused around starch. I've already googled and found a PDF of the menu, but it's hard to really tell what the portion ratios are and whether they're accommodating.

We have not been there since the menu change, so I can't comment on the current food choices. We dined there once under the old menu, and thought it was OK. Like you, it's the venue which makes it less appealing to us. That being said, for a month long cruise, I'd probably give it a try just for a change of pace.

We were not impressed with the old menu so only went to Canaletto once. Since there is a new menu and we are on the same 31 day cruise we will probably try it al least once. If we like the new menu may go more often. Looking forward to meeting you on board 4 weeks from tomorrow.:D

The way the new menu is set up, they expect you to share the main entrée. That doesn't appeal to us as we have different tastes.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam we walked by the Canaletto a few times and there was hardly anyone there.

The sizes are large, so sharing is suggested but certainly not required. We ate there twice on our recent Canada/New England cruise on the Eurodam. Honestly, once we were seated, I forgot that we were in the Lido. It's really a lovely restaurant. I will never forget the Pappardelle (pasta with shrimp and artichokes in a lemon-herb emulsion), which I could have made a meal of by itself. The chicken cacciatore and the sea bass were yummy. And on our cruise, Canaletto was always busy.

We tried Caneletto once when it was not extra charge and I assume the old menu. The server knew nothing. The antipasto served around a table of 6 was laborious as each guest had to point to what they wished from a large platter held by the server. No info on what meats or cheeses etc. Each olive was delivered separately... it went on forever. I don't know if they have a diferent way of doing it now but that was poor IMO.

The lasagna was "mushy" according to my husband... I think he expected it to be more al dente and the layers better defined, but to me lasagna is lasagna. I think I had the veal or chicken piccata which was ok. I tried gelato for dessert but it was the same ice cream as in the Lido... I should have had the lemoncello custard-like dessert which others said was quite good.

The venue was fine, you don't realize you are in the Lido but I would have preferred the MDR for dinner and have not gone back again. I will check out the new menu and see if anything looks appealing. m--

On a long cruise, a different dining venue is good once in awhile.

Displeased at any Canaletto on any ship that I have patronized? No. Food quality and service have varied.I have the impression that some of the regular Lido Restaurant Staff who have the potential are placed into the Canaletto uniforms and service for additional training. All with whom I have had any contact have been good.

The Wine List for Canaletto is different from the regular Wine List and I have found some goodies on it at better prices than in the MDR.

The one detractor from the experience is the fact that it is in, after all, the Lido Restaurant. When the Marco Polo Restaurant was introduced, it was more "special" because it was in a different area of the vessel. Hopefully, the Pinnacle Class vessel(s) will correct this and make an Italian specialty restaurant really a "specialty" dining venue.

Edited by rkacruiser

We have not been there since the menu change, so I can't comment on the current food choices. We dined there once under the old menu, and thought it was OK. Like you, it's the venue which makes it less appealing to us. That being said, for a month long cruise, I'd probably give it a try just for a change of pace.

:confused::confused:

We had always avoided the Canaletto because we kept reading here on CC how bad it was. But the last cruise on the Maasdam we decided to give it a try. We are glad we did. Yes it is just a section of the Lido but the way it is situated makes it semi private. The service was great. The first time we went we both had the veal osso bucco. It was delicious. We enjoyed it so much we ate there again on that cruise. DH had the osso bucco again, but I tried the chicken cacciatore and it was good also. Both times we had their limoncello dessert and loved it - it is a lemon lovers dream.

So my advice is give it a try. You will never know if you like it if you don't even try.

:confused::confused:

Why confused? :confused:

Although Canaletto didn't knock our socks off, if we were going to be on a ship for an entire month, I'm sure we'd probably try it once for something different. Heck, we might even eat in the Lido for dinner one night. :eek: :D

We have enjoyed the Canaletto on our cruises. Some better than others but all in all a nice change of especially on a long cruise.

We have experienced and witnessed many times when diners do not like to share a particular menu selection and the staff has been very accommodating.

We had eaten at Canaletto with the old menu and thought it was decent. We even had a good wine suggested to us there that we had not tried before. On our last cruise, we tried the new menu with another couple, and agree that the portions were large. That is about all we had that was a positive.

We were on the Amsterdam, and the server was very hard to find all through the meal. They forgot one of our entrees, and it was the only decent one (the sea bass). By the time it was delivered, everyone else was done eating.

We did stay to the bitter end for the meal, but what should have been a pleasant experience was a 3 hour disaster. We barely made the 9 PM show in the lounge.

I will give it a try again on our next cruise once, due to the length of the trip. If the same thing happens on the Maasdam, we'll never return.

This blog post has pictures and details of the updated Canaletto meun (from when it was being tested on the Oosterdam: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/05/17/a-look-at-holland-americas-updated-canaletto-restaurant-menu/

My traveling groups' opinion: the food was much better than the prior menu, but the "sharing" concept makes it difficult to get the food you want. (We just over-ordered to solve that problem so that everyone got what they wanted.)

The other challenge is the Lido location - we were rushed through the meal with an 8:30 reservation because they wanted to get ready for breakfast.

Still, a nice change of pace on longer cruises.

We had always avoided the Canaletto because we kept reading here on CC how bad it was. But the last cruise on the Maasdam we decided to give it a try. We are glad we did. Yes it is just a section of the Lido but the way it is situated makes it semi private. The service was great. The first time we went we both had the veal osso bucco. It was delicious. We enjoyed it so much we ate there again on that cruise. DH had the osso bucco again, but I tried the chicken cacciatore and it was good also. Both times we had their limoncello dessert and loved it - it is a lemon lovers dream.

So my advice is give it a try. You will never know if you like it if you don't even try.

Will have to give it a go. Love limoncello. First time we tried it was in Sicily.