When I send my cloths out to be washed, are they washed with someone else's?

Another word of warning about sending fine articles out for laundry.

Many ships use the condensate from the A/C system (this can run to 20 tons per day) in the laundry. This water, having condensed on the copper chiller coils, tends to have copper concentrations in it. When whites are washed in this water, in a hot cycle, they will tend to come out green. To counteract this, the machines dose a small amount of acid into the wash cycle to neutralize the copper oxide. Long term, this acid is not good for fabrics.

Thanks for the tip!:)

Sorry, but are you that stu....ah....stran.....ah.....serious?

Let's give you the answer you want(?).....

Yes. Your individual bras (ooh are these size -2?) ,and panties (oh my, are these really 42?) are individually and lovingly hand washed; exactly as you yourself would do them if you were doing them in the sink in your cabin's bathroom! Yeah, uh huh.

Now. Let's give you the answer that you want to avoid. YES! Your stuff is bouncing around in a machine next to and rubbing against mine. I have no conrol over that and just have to hope that YOUR unmentionables are not passing on to me all sorts of .............stuff, things etc.......

Wow! I thought we were adults here. No need to be so rude. It was a simple

question.

When we did the all access tour on the Allure, we were told that yes all the guest laundry is placed in individual mesh bags.

And they all go into these giant drums of washers that hold large amounts of bags.

Then added to it was an industrial laundry detergent and washed then moved to the dryers to dry.

That is why they only want socks, undies, and t shirts.

They come out not like you would have at home.

Was very interesting and those washers are massive!

Sea Ya

That explains why the t-shirts are always so wrinkled. The undies and socks don't matter, but the t-shirts look like mine do when a full dryer stops and they sit there all day. There are t-shirts and then there are t-shirts, so maybe they mean the kind of t-shirt you wear under a shirt. I put in the kind you would wear with jeans or shorts.

I have been in the laundry room on the All Access Tour and I can tell you there are no small washing machines that I saw. One neat thing they have in the laundry room is a machine that folds sheets. The sheet starts out flat and ends up folded and stacked in just a few seconds.

Shak

I have been in the laundry room on the All Access Tour and I can tell you there are no small washing machines that I saw. One neat thing they have in the laundry room is a machine that folds sheets. The sheet starts out flat and ends up folded and stacked in just a few seconds.

Shak

That would be the roll ironer/cross folder. it not only folds, but presses the items as well. At the beginning is a large drum that is filled with steam, and pressure rollers hold the item to be pressed against this like a steam iron.

Cross folders will not only fold sheets, they can be used for everything from queen duvet covers to dinner napkins. Various programs in the machine will fold different items in different configurations, and sensors will also detect size differences so that twin sheets are folded the same way as queen sheets, but just in smaller folds. It can even determine when the laundry crew are running three rows of pillow cases at a time, or 4 rows of dinner napkins.

Very often the smaller machines are in a separate room from the main laundry, and hold the dry cleaning machines as well. The main laundry will have the big washers and dryers, the roll ironer/cross folder, and the towel folding machines, and is what wows the tour. The uniform laundry isn't much to look at, small washers and dryers, dry cleaning machines, and pressing machines for trousers and shirts.

Edited by chengkp75

If you don't ask you won't know. Some very snarky answers.

I pack light from years of doing Europe with one 22 inch roller bag so have always stuck to one main color that I can mix up a bit with scarves and tees. I wear a lot of quick dry clothes and wash things out in my sink when traveling. I don't over pack for a cruise and I don't look like a slob. I also find a laundromat on long road trips and it doesn't gross me out to use public ones. I would not send my clothes to be washed on a cruise unless it was jeans or pants because I care for my clothes differently.

The detergent they use must be unscented. :)

I noticed this on our Celebrity cruise where we used the laundry service for the first time. I was convinced that the laundry was not clean. It came back with a dirty smell and dingy looking.

Oh, and I am sorry to the person that had blue undies. We sent out a package of darks one day, and I sent a brand new pair of navy jeans in the load. They returned rather faded, so I guess everyone else's laundry picked up a blue hint. :eek: I really thought that our laundry was washed in individual tiny washers, and not with others. :rolleyes:

Many ships use the condensate from the A/C system (this can run to 20 tons per day) in the laundry. This water, having condensed on the copper chiller coils, tends to have copper concentrations in it. When whites are washed in this water, in a hot cycle, they will tend to come out green. To counteract this, the machines dose a small amount of acid into the wash cycle to neutralize the copper oxide. Long term, this acid is not good for fabrics.

This does it for me! I think I will start over packing again, and hand wash if needed. Undies do not take up that much room in the suitcase, so one might as well bring enough for the entire cruise.

Edited by Iamthesea

Not good for ALL fabrics or fine fabrics (which is what your warning it's about)?

This acid sounds like bleach.

By long term, do you mean, with repeated exposure? Meaning, if your clothes were exposed to this acid weekly for a year? Or, after one exposure this acid will slowly damage your clothes?

Not good for ALL fabrics or fine fabrics (which is what your warning it's about)?

This acid sounds like bleach.

By long term, do you mean, with repeated exposure? Meaning, if your clothes were exposed to this acid weekly for a year? Or, after one exposure this acid will slowly damage your clothes?

No, bleach is another thing added to the white cycle, the acid is only a few drops per load. All of the cleaning agents (detergent, bleach, acid, etc are minutely metered to the machines). A few washes won't do normal fabrics damage. It does cause the tablecloths, napkins, and sheets to deteriorated faster than you would expect.

No, bleach is another thing added to the white cycle, the acid is only a few drops per load. All of the cleaning agents (detergent, bleach, acid, etc are minutely metered to the machines). A few washes won't do normal fabrics damage. It does cause the tablecloths, napkins, and sheets to deteriorated faster than you would expect.

Do the ships use the condensate in the washing machines so as to avoid using their fresh water stock?

Sorry,I have to ask, when sending my cloths out for wash and fold whats the process? I dont like the thought of my unmentionables being intermingled with someone elses. :cool:

Wow. Very good and interesting question. It has me thinking! Now i have to read the replies. :eek::rolleyes:

Do the ships use the condensate in the washing machines so as to avoid using their fresh water stock?

Yep, "free" water that is not considered potable. As I've said, in Hawaii and the Caribbean in summer, this can be 20 tons or more.

I never really thought about that but I do know on Princess ships all my clothes that are sent to the laundery are tagged with a number that identifies my clothes I am removing these little things for what seems like years! But on our Oasis cruise there was not any tags that I remember so I don't know how they would know who belongs to what if they are washed together.

royal and Celebrity use those same little tags. :) On Princess, I have only used the self laundry.

I too forget about them and then months later something is scratching my neck and I realize it is a laundry tag :D

Don't bother, its a waste of your time. They are just snarky and and not very helpful. I wish I could just delete the thread.

Why? I don't think of the comments as being snarky but just having fun with a topic. Just go along with it and enjoy.