post cruise hotel Vancouver

nana51

When we did our cruise to Alaska this summer we used the hotel package through HAL. The hotel in Anchorage was pretty bad but we liked the Denali one. Now we are doing a one way to Vancouver out of San Diego. HAL recommends the Pan Pacific. It is quite expensive for a few days. It looks really lovely though. Does HAL have a special deal including transfers that is it bit (o.k. a lot) cheaper. There are oodles of hotels to chose from but the Pan Pacific is nice and close and looks lovely.

When we did our cruise to Alaska this summer we used the hotel package through HAL. The hotel in Anchorage was pretty bad but we liked the Denali one. Now we are doing a one way to Vancouver out of San Diego. HAL recommends the Pan Pacific. It is quite expensive for a few days. It looks really lovely though. Does HAL have a special deal including transfers that is it bit (o.k. a lot) cheaper. There are oodles of hotels to chose from but the Pan Pacific is nice and close and looks lovely.

We love the Pan Pacific. It is more than close to the port. It is just an elevator ride up. The Fairmont Hotel is also right across the street from the terminal. There is an underground mall under the Fairmont with a very large food court.

We paid for an extra night (HAL paid for the first) after our cruise. The room was available when we got off the Zuiderdam in Vancouver.

img_0590.jpg

I have stayed at the Pan Pacific several times as well as the Fairmont Waterfront. Both are excellent hotels with the Pan Pacific having better harbor view rooms, maybe.

Since you are ending your cruise in Vancouver, what do you to intend to do with your time in this magnificent city? Suggest as a thought: perhaps a hotel away from the harbor might be a better choice than one that is where the Fairmont and the Pan Pacific is located.

I have stayed at the Pan Pacific several times as well as the Fairmont Waterfront. Both are excellent hotels with the Pan Pacific having better harbor view rooms, maybe.

Since you are ending your cruise in Vancouver, what do you to intend to do with your time in this magnificent city? Suggest as a thought: perhaps a hotel away from the harbor might be a better choice than one that is where the Fairmont and the Pan Pacific is located.

We plan to spend a couple (or 3) days enjoying the beauty of Vancouver and Victoria. I think you are right as we would like to do some excursions. I am checking out hotels.

We plan to spend a couple (or 3) days enjoying the beauty of Vancouver and Victoria. I think you are right as we would like to do some excursions. I am checking out hotels.

When we returned from our CruiseTour last year, we stayed post-cruise at the Pan Pacific. We purchased the HAL post-cruise package which included 2 nights at the Pan Pacific, a day trip to Victoria (Butchart Gardens, Victoria Inner harbour, Empress Hotel area) and transfer to the airport via a taxi. The HAL package was about $70 cheaper than booking the Pan Pacific on your own and a separate day trip to Victoria not including the taxi fare to the airport.

We were able to walk to Gastown the day of arrival as well as walk to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Gardens.

I was going to say the same thing.

there are some gorgeous Hotels a little uphill from the port, in particular around the "Gastown" area.

I won't recommend where we stayed (although it was very near to Stanley park). . but i WILL recommend at least a full day spent in the park/Aquarium (the horse-drawn tour around the park is WONDRFUL. . and hint. .you can buy your aquarium ticket there as a combo with the carriage ride, and it will allow you to skip the aquarium lines).

also don't miss Granville Island!.. a great artists "market". . we always buy things there http://www.tourismvancouver.com/do/entertainment/shopping/arts-crafts-granville-island/

Edited by bert425

Most Vancouver locals will tell you that the PP is WAAAAAY overpriced. However, cruisers seem to like it for the convenience. But seriously - there are many lovely hotels in the downtown area that are much cheaper.

I was going to say the same thing.

there are some gorgeous Hotels a little uphill from the port, in particular around the "Gastown" area.

I won't recommend where we stayed (although it was very near to Stanley park). . but i WILL recommend at least a full day spent in the park/Aquarium (the horse-drawn tour around the park is WONDRFUL. . and hint. .you can buy your aquarium ticket there as a combo with the carriage ride, and it will allow you to skip the aquarium lines).

also don't miss Granville Island!.. a great artists "market". . we always buy things there http://www.tourismvancouver.com/do/entertainment/shopping/arts-crafts-granville-island/

I wouldn't recommend any hotel in Gastown (in fact, I don't think there are any, apart from SRO's). Actually I wouldn't recommend going any further than about the first 4 or 5 blocks into Gastown. "Up the hill" is not Gastown, it is in the opposite direction. Vancouver does have a dark side.

I have stayed in several downtown hotels over the decades. One reasonably-priced hotel I can recommend is the Delta Suites. If you don't have much luggage - and it's on wheels - you could walk to it from Canada Place.

For our next cruise we have booked the club section of the Pan Pacific. I don't think it's overpriced at all. By booking many months in advance, it is only two-thirds of what the Fairmont hotels are charging for the equivalent luxury floor(s).

When we returned from our CruiseTour last year, we stayed post-cruise at the Pan Pacific. We purchased the HAL post-cruise package which included 2 nights at the Pan Pacific, a day trip to Victoria (Butchart Gardens, Victoria Inner harbour, Empress Hotel area) and transfer to the airport via a taxi. The HAL package was about $70 cheaper than booking the Pan Pacific on your own and a separate day trip to Victoria not including the taxi fare to the airport.

We were able to walk to Gastown the day of arrival as well as walk to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Gardens.

Was the day trip to Victoria by plane or ferry?

I wouldn't recommend any hotel in Gastown (in fact, I don't think there are any, apart from SRO's). Actually I wouldn't recommend going any further than about the first 4 or 5 blocks into Gastown. "Up the hill" is not Gastown, it is in the opposite direction. Vancouver does have a dark side.

I was talking "up the hill" from the Cruise terminal towards the main restaurant strip. (Robson)

(and offering Gastown as a place to visit -- tho the two thoughts got mixed up)

there are TONS of great hotels headed towards Robson -- including the Hyatt, and the Fairmont Castle location.

we had no trouble walking from the cruise port to Gastown and back (during the day of course). . then again, we had no trouble walking from where we stayed (Empire Landmark -- which once was a nice hotel, but now only has location going for it, and I would NOT recommend it) to, and around Stanley Park.

but we walk alot.

if one doesn't do a lot of walking, then a cab. . but I have not feet unsafe in Vancouver any time I've been -- even taking trains out to New Westminster to meet friends.

I just got home from my cruise on Monday but spent a day in YVR at the Pan Pacific when we docked on the 5th. It's a beautiful hotel and even with two conventions taking place that weekend it was top notch. I could view my ship from my window as well as Stanley Park and Lions Gate Bridge. If you have the chance, stay here.

We just stayed for a night in between cruises at the Pan Pacific to save on cab fare to get back and forth from the pier. Wow....what a great hotel. I cannot say enough good things about it.

My review is posted under trip advisor...gave it a full 5 stars. We started looking months and months in advance. Had actually booked the Fairmont Waterfront as well -- both at about the same price ($200 per night). When one of the larger online travel sites had a promo code, I canceled both reservations and rebooked only the Pan Pacific for the one night and got a heck of a deal. If far enough out there, the PP does offer great prices and for what you get, well, there is no substitute in my book.

It was raining in Vancouver the day we disembarked. You merely have to pick up your luggage from the room and there is somebody there from the Pan Pacific that takes it directly to your room once you have checked in. This is complimentary. Although, we missed this as we had other things on our minds....but were told they were indeed there. A customary tip is all that is really required. Then, while still in the underground garage area, you just go through a set of doors to get to the Pan Pacific with a short walk / elevator ride to the registration desk. It is just that simple.

I mentioned to the registration clerk that I was celebrating my birthday and bingo, she upgraded us to a harbor view room. No kidding....that made it worth the cost alone. Unbelievable views...even in the rain.

There are your traditional taxes but no resort fee (for now) like it seems all the hotels the US have. The room is absolutely wonderful with some incredibly comfy beds, robes, etc. I felt so spoiled.

The next morning when we needed to embark on our next cruise, we called the bell hop to grab our luggage from the room and the next time we saw our luggage, it was in our stateroom on the cruise ship. We tipped well, but the service itself is complimentary. Sometimes the convenience makes it all so worthwhile. Final price for the one night was under $200 US with all taxes and tips provided. So, don't feel as though that was overpriced at all considering the view we had. Love, love, love that hotel. Would go back there in a heartbeat.

PS -- ate dinner at the Cactus Club Café, right on the other side of the convention center. yummmmy with some of the best service imaginable.

When I came into Vancouver on the Statendam this summer I had an early flight the next day and stayed at the Fairmont in the airport. It's pretty expensive but not outrageous.

When I boarded the ship there was an offer from HAL for disembarkation. They had a storage deal where we dropped out bags at a desk in Canada Place and they were stored for the day and delivered to the airport. The package also included a day pass for the hop on hop off bus and a skytrain ticket to the airport. I kind of expected to have to pick up the bags at the airport and schlep them to the Fairmont, but they did that as well, and the bags were in my room when I checked in that evening.

If you plan more than a day in Vancouver that wouldn't work as such but if you head to Victoria the next day the bus to Victoria stops right at the airport.

I'm pretty sure they would deliver to most hotels so a convenient location in the city should work as well.

The vendor for the package was:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/shopping-dining-services/personal-services/cds-ltd-baggage-services.aspx

so if that would interest you they could tell you what hotels they would work with.

Roy

If you are trying to save some money, definitely contact Tourism BC (it is a government department, and I think their phone # is 1-800-HELLOBC). They sometimes have specials available on hotels. Also check out the West Coast departures board here on CC. One hotel that gets a lot of recommendations on the West Coast board is the Blue Horizon.

I love the PP, but there are many nice (not as nice, but still very nice) hotels in the area. Be careful if you decide to go with one of the Fairmont properties, be certain you know which one it is you are booking. In Vancouver, there is the Fairmont Waterfront, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Fairmont Pacific Rim and Fairmont Vancouver Airport.

that sounds great. I don't really want to spend over $200.00 per night and right now the price for PP is showing $340.00 for May 1.

that sounds great. I don't really want to spend over $200.00 per night and right now the price for PP is showing $340.00 for May 1.

When I booked this about a year and a half ago, the package was $858cdn ($429 per person). It included 2 nights at the Pan Pacific, Day trip to Victoria with stop at Butchart Gardens and the transfer to the airport for 2 people. The day trip to Victoria via a different company is about $195cdn per person.

You can ask your TA for the current price and compare to see if it makes sense.

You will be in competition with more than 15,000 participants and spectators for a downtown hotel room. 36 downtown hotels are offering a $50 credit for marathon registration fees, so I'd assume that prices won't be coming down, and that room availability will decrease drastically as the event draws nearer.

If you find a hotel that fits your budget, book it now.

We had a similar experience a few years ago sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale when the gigantic boat show was being held. Six months out, there were no reasonably priced hotel rooms anywhere near Port Everglades, although there were a handful available for $500+ per night. We were fortunate to find a room at a price we could afford at a hotel near the airport, and that was after many hours of searching.

Good luck with your search.

Quality Inn Hotel in False Creek was excellent and good value We got a room after a cruise and were taken there at 9.30 - no waiti ng until 3pm.

Good food and free internet as well as being very convenient for transport completes the package We paid $110 per night

If you're looking for something nice but less pricey, the Granville Island hotel is good. I've also stayed at the Blue Horizon, which has very nice views if you get a high room and it's right on Robson Street for all the shopping. :)