Thanksgiving on a cruise ship?

albingirl

DH and I had Thanksgiving on HAL ships about 4 or so times. They do a very nice job and serve a traditional dinner. I will say most of our turkey dinners were 'real' turkey but some here have speculated HAL may now be serving turkey 'roll'. In any case, we were never disappointed and I very much enjoyed seeing large family groups of multiple generations at large tables all enjoying the holiday together. The dining stewards try very hard to make the dinner as special as they can. :)

We have been on HAL twice during Thanksgiving - decorations in the Lido and MDR and a very traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings including pumpkin pie. BTW - tomorrow (Oct 13) is the Canadian Thanksgiving day.

Our plan is to be boarding the Veendam in San Diego on Thanksgiving Day 2015 for a round trip to Hawaii and back. Some immediate family will be traveling with us. Perhaps I am crazy but I am wondering if we want to be on the ship around midday or eat with other family members (who live in SD) and then going to the ship between 2 and 3. Thoughts.

Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving in Canada - I spent all day today preparing, baking, cleaning etc. Lots of work, but we will have a great time tomorrow. However, I am looking forward to spending the U.S. Thanksgiving on board the Regal Princess. All the fun, none of the work.:D

Last 5 years we have done and will this year Thanksgiving cruising. We enjoy it because we love being together, just the two of us, but be prepared about 1/3 of the passengers are kids. We really do not notice them much except at the pool and when trying to get off the elevators:)!

You will enjoy it!

Have sent several Thanksgivings on board a HAL ship. It is fairly low key with nice decorations, a traditional dinner with all the fixings (never had a turkey roll - must be just luck) but have to say, the pumpkin pie left much to be desired. Had the pumpkin mousse and it was very good.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians!!

It's good to know that HAL decorates for Thanksgiving and has a traditional meal. This will be the 1st year that we won't be with family this holiday.

My question.... What about the football games?

Is Thanksgiving November 27th this year? If it is, we'll be at sea, so it will probably be a formal night. If it's the 20th, we'll also be at sea. Maybe it was planned that way!

Yes, November 27th. I guess I've been unlucky because I've only seen Turkey roll or the turkey breast which doesn't taste the the whole bird. It's quite salty and this is coming from someone that loves salt. Hal also puts fruit in its stuffing and serves sweet potatoes. It's way to much sweet stuff on a plate and not what I'm used to in a turkey dinner.

Had one of the best turkey dinners I've ever had on a Maasdam transatlantic in 2011 with the best dressing ever. It was definitely NOT turkey roll. I'll be on the Prinsendam for Thanksgiving next month. My friends and I are happy that we won't have to bring a covered dish to someone's Thanksgiving gathering. The dish will be brought to us by a smiling steward!

If you want a Thanksgiving cruise without a lot of kids, book something longer than 7 days. I did a 10-day partial Canal transit over Thanksgiving, and just a handul of pre-schoolers.

Roz

We have been on 2 HAL sailings over Thanksgiving. As others have stated, they will definitely offer a traditional turkey dinner, as well as other options. In our cases, I recall we had carved roasted turkey both times (2008 and 2012). However, as others have cautioned, be aware you might be presented with processed turkey.

We had some decorations, but they don't do nearly as much as, say, for Christmas.

First time, ever, that we will be spending the holiday on a ship. Of course we will miss our loved ones at home. So, what is your experience if you have done this?

We spent Thanksgiving on Volendam in 2011 while cruising New Zealand and Australia. Dinner was very good with traditional American menu items. The wonderful wait staff even found me a piece of pumpkin pie the next night, even though it wasn't on the menu. The other thing I enjoyed was Christmas decorations magically appeared overnight on Thanksgiving night. I wish that would happen at my house!

We've been on several Thanksgivings on HAL and the dinners have become quite disappointing. It's not just the quality of the meat-- everything looked and tasted like it came straight out of a local cafeteria. The "traditional" components are all there, but the last time they were served cold and the quality was terrible.

We've been on several Thanksgivings on HAL and the dinners have become quite disappointing. It's not just the quality of the meat-- everything looked and tasted like it came straight out of a local cafeteria. The "traditional" components are all there, but the last time they were served cold and the quality was terrible.

Agree -- that is why we head to one of the specialty restaurants.