Oasis of the Seas TransAtlantic Voyage Through the Eyes of Art & Ellie

artbcpa

Thank you Ken.

This is a postscript to my thread. I truly wanted to end on a positive note, but I also want to tell the truth.

The cruise is ending the same way it began - with long lines, delays, and much chaos. They are now over an 1 1/2 hours late with the disembarkation, with little end in sight. We heard so much about how what happened in Rotterdam and Southampton with the embarkation was an aberration and we will see the difference when we land in Fort Lauderdale.

Well we did and we didn't.

Many of the same issues that took place in Europe were repeated here in Florida. Problems arose, RCI blamed someone else (this time it was immigration) and nobody from RCI was around to help. It actually feels like they hide whenever things don't go smoothly.

It also happened during the performances of Cats as there were long lines, without any assistance by RCI personnel. It seems like they don't learn a thing and history continues to repeat itself.

I guess my final evaluation of RCI as a cruise line would weigh in heavily on the negative side. Sure it could be great if everything ran perfectly. But we all know that isn't reality and when things do go wrong, RCI does not put the passengers first. There were one or two exceptions - like Israel Sanchez and Rami Tabassi - who went out of their way to try and help. But that was the exception not the norm.

Ellie's definition of WOW is, "WOW, could they be any less caring or helpful"?

Two great guys. Please tell me, is Rami now co-concierge with Israel? He was the diamond lounge concierge not so long ago on Serenade.

Gina

Two great guys. Please tell me, is Rami now co-concierge with Israel? He was the diamond lounge concierge not so long ago on Serenade.

Gina

Gina, that's why I asked about Rami the other day. When we emailed Isreal he told me Charmaine is off, and that Rami came over from Serenade. I am not sure how long he is staying, but it sounds like he will be there for our cruise later in November.

From your positive comments as well as Art's I think he will be a great guy to meet.

Andrew

It was a nightmare!

Interesting. Ken and Paulette did self-disembark at 6:30 AM (one of the first) and were thru in 10 minutes, per his thread.

Not a good way to end the trip.

But then, TA's where the ship has been away for some months are always the worst, no matter what the port. FLL was better then Miami for us on our TA's. Customs people always take longer since the ship must be carefully checked over. One reason why we stopped with the TA's.

Added to my above post.

There is another post here on CC talking about Oasis today (10/27). The ship did not zero out until 3 PM in the afternoon, normally the counter zero outs around 10:30 - 11 AM. Evidently there were all kinds of extra inspections since the ship was gone for a while and it was rebuilt. Plus not only do the pax have to clear immigration but so do the crew, all 7,500-8,000 people.

If I had stayed with my original thought of booking the Allure Westbound TA next year, I would be on the phone with my TA Tuesday morning screaming CANCEL.

Oasis sailed out 3.5 hours late. 8 PM

Edited by The Big Booper

Interesting. Ken and Paulette did self-disembark at 6:30 AM (one of the first) and were thru in 10 minutes, per his thread.

But then, TA's where the ship has been away for some months are always the worst, no matter what the port. FLL was better then Miami for us on our TA's. Customs people always take longer since the ship must be carefully checked over. One reason why we stopped with the TA's.

We got into the line around 8:50 and we walked out of the terminal at 11:40.

We also bought transfers to MIA but the bus did not leave until 12:45-ish. We had a 2:55 flight and got to the airport around 1:25. The driver dropped us as the far end of the terminal which took about 20 minutes to cross to our carrier. By the time we checked in and went through security they were starting pre-boarding. A very stressful experience and we had a mid-afternoon flight.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Thank you Ken.

This is a postscript to my thread. I truly wanted to end on a positive note, but I also want to tell the truth.

The cruise is ending the same way it began - with long lines, delays, and much chaos. They are now over an 1 1/2 hours late with the disembarkation, with little end in sight. We heard so much about how what happened in Rotterdam and Southampton with the embarkation was an aberration and we will see the difference when we land in Fort Lauderdale.

Many of the same issues that took place in Europe were repeated here in Florida. Problems arose, RCI blamed someone else (this time it was immigration) and nobody from RCI was around to help. It actually feels like they hide whenever things don't go smoothly.

It also happened during the performances of Cats as there were long lines, without any assistance by RCI personnel. It seems like they don't learn a thing and history continues to repeat itself.

I guess my final evaluation of RCI as a cruise line would weigh in heavily on the negative side. Sure it could be great if everything ran perfectly. But we all know that isn't reality and when things do go wrong, RCI does not put the passengers first. There were one or two exceptions - like Israel Sanchez and Rami Tabassi - who went out of their way to try and help. But that was the exception not the norm.

Amen. Totally correct on all accounts.RCI is off our list until these customer service problems fixed.

The first group off made it OK...the back up was exponential and self- perpetuating. Beside the fact that everyone-- including crew-- had to go through immigration, one worker stated that they were looking a lot longer at each passport. As we approached the final "leg" of the line they pulled out US and Canadian citizens to go to another line and that and luggage valet probably kept us from missing our flight--which was boarding when we got to the gate.

I know that some blame the cruise line for the debarkation but I think some of the blame should be placed on the cruise port and customs and immigration.

I am going to say that since I live in Florida also and IMO people that work in South Florida are not the best when it comes to providing service. I know this is not everyone but good employees are hard to find in South Florida.

I believe the scheduled departure time yesterday was 7pm.

Right, they built a delay in. As S.Florida residents we sometimes go down to the rocks to take pictures as the ships leave before heading over to Gilbert's 17th for their most excellent burgers (Sat only:D)

Usually the parade is over by 5-5:30 PM.

I know that some blame the cruise line for the debarkation but I think some of the blame should be placed on the cruise port and customs and immigration.

I am going to say that since I live in Florida also and IMO people that work in South Florida are not the best when it comes to providing service. I know this is not everyone but good employees are hard to find in South Florida.

That is a big wide open fist you slapped across the faces of a lot of S. Florida workers -- and not always justified. I live in S. Florida, and work for a large company that has offices throughout the country. It is difficult to find workers that want to work hard and customer service is hard work. Too many people want a very nice salary and compensation package, but want to do little in return -- and that is NOT JUST IN Florida.

Perhaps your personal, independent firm doesn't have that issue but my company that has to staff locations with 55 or more employees each does, and it isn't just in S. Florida -- it is in all the locals we have offices in.

Thank you Ken.

Hello Art and Ellie,

It was very nice meeting both of you.

This is an excellent summary of our cruise. Ellie's quote was right on. We also experienced the long wait during disembarkation. Florida has been very nice. We head home tomorrow.

Ellen and Mark

A link to my photos from sailaway:

Unfortunately I had to greatly reduce the pixels in order to post them, but I still believe some of them are quite good, especially when you consider it was midnight.

Good photos. Wasn't that one of the spookiest sailaways ever? All that fog and turning in such a tight spot. Loved it!

I am sad to report that this was the very worst Meet and Mingle I have ever been to. How can you meet and mingle in a show room where the center is an ice skating rink? I understand it is difficult to have so many people in an event like this, but the seating arrangement and set up just was not well thought out. It really doesn't matter whose fault it was, it just needs to be done differently. We have always met people at the meet and mingle and often the captain or first officers have shown up for a brief time.

We were disappointed too that they moved us from Dazzles (much easier place to socialize) to the Ice Rink. I managed to meet a few other people during the Meet and Mingle, only because they sat near us.

Edited by janeyzee

Have dinner at Vintages sometime if you haven't already tried it. The assorted tapas are a pleasant surprise. We get the 7 item option for, I think, $11 and it's enough for both of us for a meal. We actually skipped formal night for the first time ever just a few weeks ago and ate at Vintages that night on Allure. We've eaten there on Oasis, too, with just as much satisfaction.

Unfortunately Vintages has drastically changed their menu. The options to order are about 8 items, no more 5 page menu. We never tried it on Allure and regret it. Would love to have tried all the options on that old menu. They did tell us we could order paella and a few different croquettes that were not on the new menu.

DSC03845_zps95a4e8b5.jpg

Unfortunately Vintages has drastically changed their menu. The options to order are about 8 items, no more 5 page menu. We never tried it on Allure and regret it. Would love to have tried all the options on that old menu. They did tell us we could order paella and a few different croquettes that were not on the new menu.

DSC03845_zps95a4e8b5.jpg

Disappointed to see this change. We enjoy the "old" menu. :mad:

Fort Lauderdale - Since I am originally from South Florida, it is always nice to visit. Much of my family is still there and we stayed at an outstanding hotel - The Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort - right across from the ocean. Fort Lauderdale beach brought back wonderful memories from the 60's, especially during Spring Break. :D The weather in Fort Lauderdale was wonderful, which helped make our 3-day stay there extra special.

Back home in Southern California - Our flights home were not quite as nice as the wonderful Air New Zealand flight to London, but was still much nicer than the surprise we found when we arrived home - a HUGE puddle in the middle of our family room. Apparently a pipe burst underneath the slab and now we are living with huge fans, and other drying equipment.

So sad:(

We started looking today for our next cruise and/or other vacation. I am leaning to our favorite all-inclusive resort - Couples Resorts in Jamaica. Ellie is checking out a back-to-back ocean and river cruise.

Added to my above post.

There is another post here on CC talking about Oasis today (10/27). The ship did not zero out until 3 PM in the afternoon, normally the counter zero outs around 10:30 - 11 AM. Evidently there were all kinds of extra inspections since the ship was gone for a while and it was rebuilt. Plus not only do the pax have to clear immigration but so do the crew, all 7,500-8,000 people.

If I had stayed with my original thought of booking the Allure Westbound TA next year, I would be on the phone with my TA Tuesday morning screaming CANCEL.

Oasis sailed out 3.5 hours late. 8 PM

I just did. Cancel. There were all kinds of things brought up in this thread, not specific to this cruise alone, that made me realize a TA is not the right choice for us.

DSC03845_zps95a4e8b5.jpg

We are disappointed too...we really liked the menu on the Allure and had it as dinner a couple of nights -- they don't even seem to have a antipasti platter!