Upgrade, or stay put?

Caribe87

Looking forward to our third trip aboard the Ruby Princess this year. Currently in obstructed oceanview Emerald deck to save some money, as we did Caribe balcony last two. However, see that E731 still available...probably our last time on the Ruby, thinking of upgrading. Thoughts on this; probably about $300.00 to upgrade. Any one have experience on this or similar far aft stateroom? Thank you.

Everyone has their own preferences, so please, all you Obstructed OV loyalists, don't slam me........but I would never stay in an Obstructed OV if $300 more would buy me a large balcony, a bath tub, a sitting area, and that Oh-So-Wonderful glass of sparkling gorilla pee that they serve upon boarding. :D Seriously. If you can get that cabin for only $300 above the price of an Obstructed OV, you should grab it.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I'd probably stick with the obstructed view cabin and save the money for something else. I've never seen the appeal of mini suites (other than of course the larger cabin and the balcony). We can get by in a smaller cabin without a balcony if we have to.

I'd probably stick with the obstructed view cabin and save the money for something else. I've never seen the appeal of mini suites (other than of course the larger cabin and the balcony). We can get by in a smaller cabin without a balcony if we have to.

The OP didn't say anything about having to settle for less. "Go for it" is my answer to the question. :cool:

But why do it if you don't have to :rolleyes:

Ok it is a mini suite but it is at the very back of the ship. Do you get motion sickness easily? If so then stay put. You are also going to be over Club Fusion. Granted you will be at the opposite side of where they play the music but how much noise will you be hearing from them and for how long into the evening. For me I would not take it due to location even though we love a mini suite.

I am pretty sure that is the cabin DD had on the Crown(so it should be just like Ruby) She was there with her husband and 1 year old. It was not noisy, and they loved it. If you can go to mini from ov for $300 DO IT!!!! Since this is a lower deck you should not have motion problems unless it's very rough. We have stayed in the aft end on 3 of 4 cruises and loved that section of the boat.

Edited by knbcruisers

I would grab the mini. I have stayed in the Emerald deck minis on the starboard side on multiple ships and never experienced any noise issue. It is quiet. The only noise issue is on the portside directly under the stage. The Emerald deck minis are preferable to me because they have covered balconies, unlike Dolphin minis.

If it is $300 per cabin to upgrade from the obstructed OV it is a steal. If it is $300 per person, it is a very good deal. Also the last Emerald deck aft has side and aft views and I believe the balcony is bigger than the usual mini.

Looking forward to our third trip aboard the Ruby Princess this year. Currently in obstructed oceanview Emerald deck to save some money, as we did Caribe balcony last two. However, see that E731 still available...probably our last time on the Ruby, thinking of upgrading. Thoughts on this; probably about $300.00 to upgrade. Any one have experience on this or similar far aft stateroom? Thank you.

E-731 is a great mini-suite with an extended balcony. We were in it last February and will be again next week. There is no comparison with an oceanview cabin. Go for it!

Take the mini--even if it's $600 more; and don't worry about Club Fusion--it's on the other side and you won't hear a thing. That is the most desirable cabin on the ship next to a full suite; in fact I prefer it to a couple of Vista Suites I've seen.

I personally would never stay in an obstructed view. If you want the balcony then go for it. If saving money is your thing then just go for an inside. That is what I always do. It is either inside or balcony for me. You are not seeing anything special from your obstructed view as the view is blocked so you may just as well book an inside and have exactly the same. If it is natural light you want then get that idea out of your head right away. People tend to sleep in their cabins and they sleep in them when it is dark. My guess is most people are not in their cabins during the day so purchasing an obstructed view for natural light is counter-productive as you never use it.

In my opinion all obstructed view cabins should be smashed out of ships and done away with and the area should be used for public space and bars.

GO FOR IT! On my upcoming cruise on the Ruby 4/15,I was booked in a balcony, then on a whim I did a mock booking and E731 was suddenly available (It was booked earlier) I called my TA and had her grab it. The best mini on the ship well worth the $$$!

Like so much in life, what one prefers or doesn't prefer, is subjective. I don't mind obstructed ocean views at all. On my first three cruises, I had a balcony and I thought I could never do without. I had the opportunity to cruise to NZ/Australia but in an obstructed view. Imagine my surprise when I discovered my view was barely obstructed and the joy of sitting up in bed as we drifted by the Sydney Opera House. My next cruise was obstructed OV and my next will be as well. For me, I'd rather spend the $300. on some great adventure in port. But, that's just me and my choice. I would never denigrate the choices that others make. Many thanks to renmar's site for helping us pick obstructed ov's that are barely obstructed!

...In my opinion all obstructed view cabins should be smashed out of ships and done away with and the area should be used for public space and bars.

A bit OT: On some newbuilds, obstructed OVs have been eliminated by sitting lifeboats directly on the Promenade decks and replacing the OVs with balcony cabins. More $$$ for the cruiselines. Less view from Promenade decks.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Balcony is worth it.