All Open Seating in MDR (no "Fixed")

SilvertoGold

Then what game was he playing?

I can assure you, there was no game.

I requested a change to open seating, and my request was handled to my satisfaction. However, when it is that late in a cruise, it can be more difficult to make changes than it would be early in a cruise.

The point is, that there are no guarantees in making changes---in either direction.

I'm saddened and concerned by this rumor (as too many rumors have had a way of coming to fruition). If HAL were to eliminate fixed seating it would mean the end of my solo cruising on this line.

Now, if I were sailing with friends we can make our own table, and go to dinner together. But alone? I do not wish to be seated with a brand new group of people every night over the course of a few weeks. :rolleyes:

I've gotten used to dining alone at home most nights. When I cruise I love the treat of having the same tablemates. Having people I get to know, and to share the details of the day, is something I miss at home---and won't give up when I cruise.

My wife and I dine alone at home most nights of the year, so we find joining a group of six or eight for the length of a cruise one of the attractions of traditional dining - beyond the obvious one of knowing when and where you will dine each night and being able to go directly to your table rather than wait for an assignment. The sharing of details of the day with a group you come to know is not just for solo sailors. Of course, we have been generally very fortunate in the groups of table mates - perhaps the fact that they share our interest in forming such a group leads to the sort of compatibility we enjoy.

If HAL does away with that option, we will try to find it elsewhere.

My wife and I dine alone at home most nights of the year, so we find joining a group of six or eight for the length of a cruise one of the attractions of traditional dining - beyond the obvious one of knowing when and where you will dine each night and being able to go directly to your table rather than wait for an assignment. The sharing of details of the day with a group you come to know is not just for solo sailors. Of course, we have been generally very fortunate in the groups of table mates - perhaps the fact that they share our interest in forming such a group leads to the sort of compatibility we enjoy.

You have the same reasons for wanting fixed seating over open seating. We will also be looking elsewhere if open seating is our only option on HAL.

Fun and elegance are mutually exclusive?

Nah... It depends on the people involved. Fun people are typically fun people, completely independent of what they're wearing.

I've yet to run across anyone who is a non-stop barrel of laughs in shorts and a t-shirt, mildly amusing in a golf shirt & khakis, but a wet blanket, snooze fest in a coat and tie.

A couple of observations after reading most (if not all) posts.

MSC and Cunard are two cruise lines I know of that still have fixed dining only.

The upper level is used for fixed dining and the lower level for open dining. Due to the open area in the center there are more tables in open dining downstairs than in fixed dining upstairs. ;)

I remember the uproar when here on CC when HAL introduced open dining but it seems like a lot of previous fixed dining cruisers were converted to open dining. I suspect that the trend is less and less towards fixed dining, especially as more and more alternative dining options are introduced. I know for many that would be a negative or even a deal breaker but I think that is an inevitable outcome.

A couple of observations after reading most (if not all) posts.

MSC and Cunard are two cruise lines I know of that still have fixed dining only.

The upper level is used for fixed dining and the lower level for open dining. Due to the open area in the center there are more tables in open dining downstairs than in fixed dining upstairs. ;)

I remember the uproar when here on CC when HAL introduced open dining but it seems like a lot of previous fixed dining cruisers were converted to open dining. I suspect that the trend is less and less towards fixed dining, especially as more and more alternative dining options are introduced. I know for many that would be a negative or even a deal breaker but I think that is an inevitable outcome.

And Disney.:)

...With fixed dining you have a high point, where all of your staff are used, a slump where no one is dining and then a high demand. With open seating the demand is more evenly distributed...

I have found with open seating on several lines, a large number of passengers all tend to converge on the DR about the same time (6-7ish) every night, causing long wait times for a table. I've only been seated promptly when I arrived very early or very late.

I'm in favor of keeping both fixed and open as they are. Each has its advantages and drawbacks, so let passengers choose between them.

You have the same reasons for wanting fixed seating over open seating. We will also be looking elsewhere if open seating is our only option on HAL.

We absolutely and completely agree with these sentiments.

Scott & Karen

We prefer open seating and usually make a reservation for 7pm.

We have not had an open seating lining up issue on any of our recent cruises. We are an RCI Med cruise in 10 days. We booked in Sept, called, and were able to make reservations For various times throughout the cruise.

I think it comes down to how efficiently the cruise line or the ship handles open seating and of course on your personal preferences.

Our experience on a number of cruise lines/ships does not mean that open seating translates into long lines. And we found that the opposite is true if you have made an open seating reservation. But consistently getting a table for two could be a challenge depending on what time you dine.

Edited by iancal

...Our experience on a number of cruise lines/ships does not mean that open seating translates into long lines. And the opposite if you have a reservation.

Some lines do not accept reservations for open seating, or do so only on some sailings. Princess, to name one. I gave up one night on a recent sailing as the line was so long, and ate at the buffet.

I have found that princess handles their open seeing much better than hal. There is often a long line on hal ships. Celebrity also had longs lines for open. I'm going to see how princess is on a larger ship when I go in February. I've had several cruises on princess but most of the cruises have been on the sapphire.

<snip>

Our experience on a number of cruise lines/ships does not mean that open seating translates into long lines. And we found that the opposite is true if you have made an open seating reservation. But consistently getting a table for two could be a challenge depending on what time you dine.

Perhaps the change that is occurring is that more and more passengers simply do not wish to dine with other passengers? I read this morning that the Oasis and Allure are losing their 3 story dining room and it is being replaced with 3 separate dining venues. It may be time to give up the whole idea of a ship's dining room and replace it with smaller venues that offer more choice?

We prefer late fixed and request an 8 top. We have always been fortunate to have great table mates, and a number of these folks have become long time cruise friends.

We would not do anytime, but know there are many who prefer that, so keep both. If HAL were to go to anytime only then sadly, we would look to another line.

We would be very unhappy campers if HAL went to all Open Seating.

We also only like tables for 2.

We second Krazy Kruizers strong feeling.

We always confirm a specific Table for Two prior to final payment. If this was to change - NO final payment. Unfortunately this would certainly either curtail our cruising, after 30+ years, with HAL or at least change cruise lines.

Sail7Seas: Yes I was on Princess. And dinner was a fun part of the cruise as our table of 8 meshed so well together that by the middle of a cruise, we would order for the table a pasta dish or an entree that everyone wanted to try but no one ordered, have a separate serving utensil for the dish, and it would be passed around for "a taste." Our waiter got into the act and started making up sample plates for us that he would bring out and serve to us (much like the old French style service).

Sppunk, You mentioned Azamara as an example of a cruiseline that is only open dining. I also cruise Azamara and can tell you the open dining is levels above open dining on RCI and HAL and is comparing apples to oranges.

The Azamara main dining room is large enough to seat the majority of the passengers if all decided to eat at the same time. This doesn't happen and there is never a line for the MDR.

The buffet is superb and has a fresh cook station every night where the specialty of the night is cooked to order. Many nights, this is the fish that has been purchased from a local fisherman hours before dinner. At the station, the fresh fish is cleaned and prepared as the guest requests. This cook station is the only place that a line sometimes forms for food on the ship.

As a result, the buffet is a wonderful alternative to the MDR (the candles on the table and included wine doesn't hurt).

Azamara has a country club casual dress code. However, the passengers dress as this code implies: dresses or dressy slacks and tops for the women., dress pants and sports coats for the men. There is also always a small group in formal attire each night.

Perhaps the change that is occurring is that more and more passengers simply do not wish to dine with other passengers? I read this morning that the Oasis and Allure are losing their 3 story dining room and it is being replaced with 3 separate dining venues. It may be time to give up the whole idea of a ship's dining room and replace it with smaller venues that offer more choice?

As I understand it, RCI is eliminating all forms of Traditional Dining which includes both fixed and anytime dining options, on their Oasis and Quantum class ships. On those ships, the MDR is being divided into three separate dining rooms with different menus. However, I believe those menus are static - they remain the same for the entire cruise, so the menu on Day 1 is the same on Days 2,3,4, etc. Because those ships are so large, there are many other dining options available, some no charge, and others at an additional fee. RCI wants their passengers to make on-line reservations for all their dining choices prior to the cruise. Passengers can edit/change their reservations when they are on-board via some type of intranet connection accessed by the passenger's personal computing device like a smart phone, computer, or tablet.

That's too much work for me. If your choice/time is not available on a particular night, you'd need to have Plans B,C and D ready.

Figuring out a dining schedule months in advance just doesn't seem like vacation to me.

I was always a person that wanted traditional early. It was almost a deal breaker for me. A job change a few years back made it impossible for me to take the cruise I had booked and I got stuck in open on the new one I booked. I was quite sure I wouldn't enjoy it. I now choose open for every cruise. You might want to try it before you decide it's really bad. That said, if you tend to be higher maintenance it might not be for you.

We definately like choice-not only in venue but also in time. More and more we are be getting turned off by the MDR. We don"t eat at the same time every night at home or on vacation.

Many of the MDR's have become very noisy with poor service and mediocre food dressed up a little. Far too much clanging and banging especially if you ar near a serving station. HAL is no exception and simply does not have the choice of venues, formal and informal, that some others cruise lines/ships have. Perhaps this will chance with the new build. Hopefully they will see the light.

I think the challenge for HAL is that other lines have moved forward to respond to customer preferences in this area. There is a definite trend in this direction if you experience other cruise lines.

.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Homosassa']Sail7Seas: Yes I was on Princess. And dinner was a fun part of the cruise as our table of 8 meshed so well together that by the middle of a cruise, we would order for the table a pasta dish or an entree that everyone wanted to try but no one ordered, have a separate serving utensil for the dish, and it would be passed around for "a taste." Our waiter got into the act and started making up sample plates for us that he would bring out and serve to us (much like the old French style service).

<snip>
[/QUOTE]

[B] That is a wonderful experience but likely will not happen for everyone on every cruise. And it is great the steward 'caught on' and started serving everyone so you didn't have to continue passing the bowl around the table. Sounds like he was a good steward. :)

Also sounds like you had lots of fun at your table and that certainly is great.

[/B]

This seems to be a rather active thread so I will pose my question here (as I don't see it addressed anywhere in the thread):
We have requested 5:30 Fixed Seating at a table of six (there are two of us on our booking). We are hoping to sit by a window as previous cruises we have thoroughly enjoyed the view while we settle in for dinner. Am I understanding that all Fixed seating is in the upper dining room? What is the best way to ensure both early fixed seating and a table by the window?

[quote name='iancal']We definately like choice-not only in venue but also in time. More and more we are be getting turned off by the MDR. We don"t eat at the same time every night at home or on vacation.

Many of the MDR's have become very noisy with poor service and mediocre food dressed up a little. Far too much clanging and banging especially if you ar near a serving station. HAL is no exception and simply does not have the choice of venues, formal and informal, that some others cruise lines/ships have. Perhaps this will chance with the new build. Hopefully they will see the light.

I think the challenge for HAL is that other lines have moved forward to respond to customer preferences in this area. There is a definite trend in this direction if you experience other cruise lines.[/QUOTE]

We feel the same way. We do not need to dine at the same time every day and we like having choices. We usually book just one PG dinner prior to boarding. That is usually always on a formal night and the primary goal is to avoid the MDR. I do understand though that there are lots of folks like my father, whose motto is, "we can have dinner anytime, as long as it is 5:00 pm."

[quote name='mhurdle127']This seems to be a rather active thread so I will pose my question here (as I don't see it addressed anywhere in the thread):
We have requested 5:30 Fixed Seating at a table of six (there are two of us on our booking). We are hoping to sit by a window as previous cruises we have thoroughly enjoyed the view while we settle in for dinner. Am I understanding that all Fixed seating is in the upper dining room? What is the best way to ensure both early fixed seating and a table by the window?[/QUOTE]

[B] Fixed dining is all on the upper level of MDR.
You don't say which ship but there are dining room charts with table numbers.
You could check on halfacts.com to see if there is a chart for your ship or ask here and we will try to help you. Once you find a table you want, you can call ship's services and request you be assigned to that table. Their number is 800-541-1576.

Edit: I just saw you are sailing October 25. It may be too late for your special request. We always request 'our' table months in advance. Nothing to lose by trying.

Have a great cruise.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas