Ultimate ship tour or Chefs table?

Bimmie Girl

Really need to know if you are both foodies or not. My husband is definitely not, so we did the UST and loved it. Loved the goodies and pics we got along with the tour. Enjoyed seeing all the inside areas of the ship and the bridge and meeting the captain.

However, if you are both foodies and love wine(we are not drinkers either!), I then would suggest you do the Chef's Table.

Of course, both would be fantastic! Grin.

Pooh

Really need to know if you are both foodies or not. My husband is definitely not, so we did the UST and loved it. Loved the goodies and pics we got along with the tour. Enjoyed seeing all the inside areas of the ship and the bridge and meeting the captain.

However, if you are both foodies and love wine(we are not drinkers either!), I then would suggest you do the Chef's Table.

I have a different opinion here. If you are real FOODIES and have done chef's table dinners in land restaurants, you would be disappointed in the Chef's Table onboard a ship. I am a certified sommelier and have attended a lot of these dinners, including two on the Sapphire Princess, and can assure you that they are not that great. The visit to the galley for appetizers is nice but the main course is usually quite lacking, an assortment of three meats all tasting the same with a small piece of lobster. I think that if you are real FOODIES, the ship's tour following by a nice dinner in the Crown Grill would be much better.

It depends on the EC as well. The Chef's table on the Island was spectacular. The one on the Royal was just good.

I wait till the first night on board to try for Chef's Table based on the dinner in the MDR. If the dinner on hectic embarkation day is good, that speaks well for the kitchen...

I have a different opinion here. If you are real FOODIES and have done chef's table dinners in land restaurants, you would be disappointed in the Chef's Table onboard a ship. I am a certified sommelier and have attended a lot of these dinners, including two on the Sapphire Princess, and can assure you that they are not that great. The visit to the galley for appetizers is nice but the main course is usually quite lacking, an assortment of three meats all tasting the same with a small piece of lobster. I think that if you are real FOODIES, the ship's tour following by a nice dinner in the Crown Grill would be much better.

They are such different things it is hard to say, the ultimate ships tour is a real behind the scenes look at the operation of a cruise ship. From the bridge to the food storage coolers and almost everything in between. You get to meet and interact with many crew members the passengers don't normally see such as the onboard HR person, and the laundry staff, but also the bridge crew and the dancers in their dressing room.

Edited by PenguinLife

I enjoyed the Chef's Table all three times I've done it. I haven't been able to take the Ultimate Ship's Tour yet. And just to throw in something else to consider--the Ultimate Balcony Dinner if you have a balcony. It's cheaper than the other two options and a very nice experience.

I'm sure the Chef's Table is different on each ship, but when we did it on the Ruby the experience and food were fantastic. I also enjoyed the Crown Grill and Sabatini's, but the Chef's Table topped them both. We also had a great group which probably helped with the enjoyment. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

If you had a choice between the Ultimate ships tour or the Chefs Table, which would you pick?

we are sailing Emerald in Feb. for our first Princess cruise and thought we should do at least one of these:rolleyes:

Which is more interesting to you? Seeing some of the behind the scenes action or eating? :confused:

The Chefs Table is a great experience. The menu varies among ships and it is a convivial evening with a group of new people. I would recommend it and will hopefully do it again in 2 weeks on the Regal along with the Winemakers evening on a different night.

See my review of the Royal. The Chef's table experience on the Royal/Regal is very different than what you are used to in presentation. I'd still do it, but be prepared for some differences (no tableside preparation for example)

The Chefs Table is a great experience. The menu varies among ships and it is a convivial evening with a group of new people. I would recommend it and will hopefully do it again in 2 weeks on the Regal along with the Winemakers evening on a different night.

See my review of the Royal. The Chef's table experience on the Royal/Regal is very different than what you are used to in presentation. I'd still do it, but be prepared for some differences (no tableside preparation for example)

Which is precisely why I do these things to experience something new on occasions. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone. DH read all these comments and so we are going to do both!!!! Already planned on eating at the on board steak house and considered the Ultimate Balcony dinner, but we are on deck 15 and all the way forward so worried about the wind, so decided to save that one for our Alaskan cruise. First time sailing Princess and want to enjoy it all, can't wait!!!!

I trust you have read that depending on the length of your cruise, the Chef's Table is offered only on a few (or even only one) evenings and subject to availability. You will want to make a request to be "invited" by calling on the DINE line from your cabin or any house phone immediately upon boarding.

We have done it twice, the first time on the Emerald and the second time on the Golden. We loved it both times for different reasons. A big part of it (at least back then) was the comedic interaction between the Chef and the Maitre D. On both, they were a big part of the "show." As for dining with new people, everyone is on such a "high" because this is something everyone really wanted to do that we had a great time with everyone.

I would highly recommend eating VERY light the day of. ;)

We would also like to do the UST someday. It looks well worth it, as well.

Let us know what you thought when you get home!

We tried to do the Chef's Table on our Eastern Med cruise last year and signed up on the Dine Line as soon as we boarded (you can only sign up after you board the ship). Two days later they called and said it had been cancelled due to Technical Difficulties, maybe not enough folks signed up, but never found out.

Good for you guys. We have done both several times and they are so very different it is hard to choose between them - AND - the events themselves can be different depending upon the ship, the Chef/Maitre d' and the staff that run the UST.

Ray

Thank you everyone. DH read all these comments and so we are going to do both!!!! Already planned on eating at the on board steak house and considered the Ultimate Balcony dinner, but we are on deck 15 and all the way forward so worried about the wind, so decided to save that one for our Alaskan cruise. First time sailing Princess and want to enjoy it all, can't wait!!!!

Chef's table looks like too much food to me. I'd take the tour.

We did the Chef's Table on our first Princess Cruise (CB) and while it was nice, I was "done" after the galley tour (with the champagne and appetizers). I basically stopped eating once the actual entrees arrived. It was way too much food, and many of the other participants felt the same way. So, for me, not worth the money food-wise. But, still, it was a new & interesting experience.

I hope you guys have a wonderful time on both!

I definitely would do the Chef's Table. It's certainly a dining experience I've never experienced anywhere else. I agree with the poster who suggested eating lightly that day. Something that hasn't come up is the group will meet with the maitre 'd a couple/few days before the dinner to discuss the menu and to find out if anyone has a food allergy to anything on the menu.