Tough Chewy Steaks? Ranch Steaks?

gemz

This is terrible to hear that Allure/Oasis are serving steaks that can barely be cut with a knife when Princess and Celebrity both serve decent steaks and Celebrity even serves whole grilled fish at the buffet. I know RCCL was renowned for serving bad cuts of beef called Ranch Steak and then changed to a better cut of meat that was actually decent. Sad to hear that RCCL have gone back to tough steaks which is very disappointing.

Beef can vary depending on supplier, and an identical cut might be rated OK by one reviewer and way too tough by another.

I've had good steaks in MDR, tough in Chops, you never know, and I don't think anything has changed.

If you want consistency, eat hot dogs - always tender!

Beef can vary depending on supplier, and an identical cut might be rated OK by one reviewer and way too tough by another.

I've had good steaks in MDR, tough in Chops, you never know, and I don't think anything has changed.

Nice. :beer:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We were on FOS in September on a B2B, so I had an opportunity to try a lot of things on the MDR menu. I enjoyed the chicken breast offered on the every day menu, so thought I'd give the steak a try. It was everything I'd read about here on CC. :eek: It was like a tough piece of grizzle. I'm not exaggerating...it was hard to cut with a steak knife. I know I could have sent it back, but I didn't.

We were on FOS in September on a B2B, so I had an opportunity to try a lot of things on the MDR menu. I enjoyed the chicken breast offered on the every day menu, so thought I'd give the steak a try. It was everything I'd read about here on CC. :eek: It was like a tough piece of grizzle. I'm not exaggerating...it was hard to cut with a steak knife. I know I could have sent it back, but I didn't.

We had tablemates who ordered the steak from the everyday menu on Explorer and sent it back...same problem...thin and tough.

We just returned from consecutive sailings on Navigator October 12 th.

We ate beef every time it was offered, and we thought it was far superior to

beef prior to the dry dock. We were very pleasantly surprised.

Cruzin Lady

I think that in the dry dock they added a ranch on deck 3. So the beef is always fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had tablemates who ordered the steak from the everyday menu on Explorer and sent it back...same problem...thin and tough.

Interesting that it was "thin and tough". On Freedom last summer, grandson ordered the "everyday" steak almost every night and it was small but very thick - looked like a piece of filet. If kept rare, pretty good, but well done - bring your chainsaw.

Guessing that the cut used for the every day steak can vary.

We were on the legend last spring. Steaks were terrible. So after the second try we just stopped ordering. I will say they were delicious in Chops

I also found that on previous cruise on Freedom. My next cruise I just won't order unless we are at Chops I agree it must be because of the mass cooking in the MDR

We were on the Radiance in March and April 2014 for almost 3 weeks, and my husband orders beef every night for dinner. (He's one of those people with very low cholesterol for some reason). He had a variety of steaks and different cuts, and thought all the meat was good to very good.

We were in Australia and New Zealand, so maybe the beef there is a better quality?????

Beef can vary depending on supplier, and an identical cut might be rated OK by one reviewer and way too tough by another. I've had good steaks in MDR, tough in Chops, you never know, and I don't think anything has changed.

I've ordered the same beef item from the MDR menu several times ... quality and tenderness vary widely, even on the same cruise (I've sent a few back over the years, primarily because it would take a hand saw to cut them ... didn't even bother to try and chew them). Now that you bring it up, main-menu steaks are offered medium-rare or medium-well. My wife and I have ordered them each way, but they're consistently served cooked identically ... medium!

We're generally fortunate enough to receive a free dinner at a specialty restaurant from our travel agent ... we head straight for Chops and have yet to be disappointed.

I make it my business to stop by the Dog House when I'm in the mood for beef lips.

Al

I believe that quality of food, including the steaks, definitely varies ship to ship, and sometimes even varies cruise to cruise. You just never know.

On the Radiance this past June, we did not have one meal we did not like (including the steak on the everyday menu, along with the prime rib offered one night). Of course some meals were better than others, but overall, food was great.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Navigator. The Chop's Fillet in the MDR is now $16.95 (was $14.95) -- plus 15% tip added. Has the tip always been added -- I don't remember the 15% tip before.

As for the "free" steaks, the MDR was fair. I ordered it medium. The minute steaks in the Windjammer buffet at night was much better, and had a choice of sauces. I think the best free steak is the Fillet of Beef served the first formal night in the MDR.