Euros

ashvb

I have had ATM cards not work. I take 300 Euros, even if it costs a little extra. Need it for taxi to pre-cruise hotel. We go 3 days in advance to recover from jet lag. Also for buying little stuff at the ports.

cb

We also have gotten our euros at the airport ATM . We use our Capital One Visa. No foreign transactions fees, and we pay it off when we get home, so the cost is minimal. We also feel $300-400 euros in cash is sufficent, depending on the number of days you'll be there. We do try to use a charge card for larger purchases where we can, or for restaurants.

Enjoy your cruise!

Becki

You can get some at AAA. That will be enough to pay for transportation from airport just in case you can't find access to an atm. Also many banks only allow a withdrawal of $300 per day so call your bank to find out what they allow.

Edited by Got2Cruise

You can get some at AAA. That will be enough to pay for transportation from airport just in case you can't find access to an atm. Also many banks only allow a withdrawal of $300 per day so call your bank to find out what they allow.

You will need very few Euroes unless you are a relentless shopper.

Use an ATM card which are at every airport. So convenient.

Well it depends if you are doing pre and post cruise diy. Also if you are paying ship gratuities in cash if not prepaid

We usually bring 100 Euros with us for things like coffee, magazine, porter, etc. and then use our ATM for additional cash. We've been all over Europe and never had a problem with the ATM, with ONE exception: make sure you are not exceeding the local ATM's maximum withdrawal amount! Happened in Cairo, I was asking for $200 in American and when converted to Egyptian was more than the machine would dispense so it refused the card.....problem was it wouldn't give a reason!! Check your trip dox and see what and HOW they want tips handled. Some will allow you to put tips on credit card, some will take USD, some want only Euros in cash! It depends on the company and I am sure they will have a section on tipping in your documents. For my first trip I got $100 in Euro from local AAA office, now I just save whatever I have left and bring it next time. River cruising is like that, you never just take one!!!:D

Get them at an ATM. Shopping: just about everyone takes credit cards. We just keep Euros handy for small items, tips off-vessel and, of course, for restrooms. Be sure to have some on hand for that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are not relentless shoppers but do enjoy meals in port, a stop at a pub or wine bar, a stop at a wine store for something special to bring back to boat. And we do pre and post in Europe DIY. For us, 300-400E is an average cash spend.

We are not relentless shoppers but do enjoy meals in port, a stop at a pub or wine bar, a stop at a wine store for something special to bring back to boat. And we do pre and post in Europe DIY. For us, 300-400E is an average cash spend.

With my Barclay Arrival+ Mastercard (with Chip & PIN), that amount of spending would net me a $10 bonus and I wouldn't have to worry about carrying a lot of cash. I get the same exchange rate as with my Schwab ATM card. Neither card charges any fees (foreign exchange or ATM).

I have a quick question . None of our credit cards have a pin and chip. We have never had a problem, but know this could change at any time. We carry far more cash than we would like for fear our non chip( it has pin#) ATM card might not work. Do ATM cards require an embedded chip? Thanks Clark

Most banks will not give coins of any foreign currency, nor will they take them in to exchange IME.

Pre-cruise, the best way to get foreign cash is:

https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/index.html?partnerid=FES&serviceType=order

I've even been told that other banks order from Wells Fargo, as does AAA. Go to the source and use Wells Fargo. They'll deliver right to your door usually within 2 days depending on where you live. In the past, we've ordered enough cash to bypass the fee. I've used the service twice and will definitely do so again.

Once you're on vacation, use the ATMs. Just remember that you:

1. Have to have a 4 number PIN (no letters, no 6 digit ones)

2. You can only withdraw up to your daily limit. If that amount is $300, it may only get you about 168GBP per day with fees added in and the exchange rate. If you have an expensive tour or dinner planned, it may take you a couple days to get enough cash to pay for it.

I've even been told that other banks order from Wells Fargo, as does AAA. Go to the source and use Wells Fargo. They'll deliver right to your door usually within 2 days depending on where you live. In the past, we've ordered enough cash to bypass the fee. I've used the service twice and will definitely do so again.

Wells Fargo is our bank and my mom went there last week to buy some in advance of our upcoming trip. The cost for Euro is about 12 cents more per dollar than the bank exchange rate. Though they claim to have no fees, they pad the conversion to make up for it. Too much money left on the table IMO.

Edited by caviargal

With my Barclay Arrival+ Mastercard (with Chip & PIN), that amount of spending would net me a $10 bonus and I wouldn't have to worry about carrying a lot of cash. I get the same exchange rate as with my Schwab ATM card. Neither card charges any fees (foreign exchange or ATM).

We take only the cash we need for the day and the rest is kept in the safe. Nothing to worry about.

With the exception of ensuring you have some coins for restrooms, your rule of thumb should be do what you'd do in your own country. If you normally carry and pay with cash, then use ATMs, get Euros and do so. If you normally carry little cash and pay with credit cards, then do so. These aren't third-world countries. There are ATMs everywhere and almost everyone takes credit cards - even a lot of street vendors! Unless you really don't want to pay with credit cards, I find it hard to imagine when you'd need to withdraw more than your daily limit - but I'm a credit card guy.

I have a quick question . None of our credit cards have a pin and chip. We have never had a problem, but know this could change at any time. We carry far more cash than we would like for fear our non chip( it has pin#) ATM card might not work. Do ATM cards require an embedded chip? Thanks Clark

Morning Clark. To the best of my knowledge ATM cards do not require an embedded chip. We have used our bank ATM card all over the world and only time we ran into trouble was when DH got conversion wrong and asked ATM for the equivalent of $200US in local currency, which exceeded the ATM withdrawal allowance. Now we always check before we go. I would try to stick with ATM's that are located in banks, airports or hotels though, just for security and safety sake. As for credit cards....I have two with chip and sign and one without. I've never had a problem, however, I've never used one in an unattended kiosk (gas stations, parking garages), which is where I understand most of the problems occur.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Morning Clark. To the best of my knowledge ATM cards do not require an embedded chip. We have used our bank ATM card all over the world and only time we ran into trouble was when DH got conversion wrong and asked ATM for the equivalent of $200US in local currency, which exceeded the ATM withdrawal allowance. Now we always check before we go. I would try to stick with ATM's that are located in banks, airports or hotels though, just for security and safety sake. As for credit cards....I have two with chip and sign and one without. I've never had a problem, however, I've never used one in an unattended kiosk (gas stations, parking garages), which is where I understand most of the problems occur.

Thanks, and thats the answer I was wanting to hear.

We always take 150 - 200 Euros --> and then use ATMs. We have a currency exchange in our local mall, so try to get Euro coins before we go.

We look for ATM machines in banks if possible. I have always found that the local guides are a great source of information. For example, there are 2 ATMs in the Central Market in Budapest. Our guide recommended people use the one on the upper floor, as it charges less in transaction fees than the one on the main floor.

I also check with my bank. Our main bank has articulation agreements with various banks, so try to use those ATMs if possible (ie: no fees to use PNC Paribas in France, or Barclays in the UK).

We have no issue with our debit cards - as all are chip + pin. DH and I each have a daily limit, so we can each get money out if we need to.

I once - and only once - used the currency exchange at the airport for a rather obscure currency... NEVER again (the rates were horrible....)

Fran

Edited by franski

We are staying in a bed and breakfast in Amsterdam 2 nights pre-cruise that we booked independently and they requested cash upon arrival. ~350 Euros, would you wait until you get to the airport in Amsterdam to withdraw that or order from our local bank and carry with us?

I obtained a chip & pin credit card from USAA to use, and I have a Capitol One debit card with no foreign transaction fees, and no, it doesn't have a chip & PIN embedded in it and we didn't have trouble anywhere in the Med.

I am a bit confused, as Rick Steves really advises that cash is king, and if you want to bargain and purchase items locally in the street markets, carrying cash is the way to go. I admit, I have been reading his travel forum, as I would like to experience some local culture before getting on the ship.