Island Princess- Grand Med May 2015 Appreciate suggestions

kpblade

My wife and I will be sailing on the Island Princess for its May 22, 2015 Grand Mediterranean Venice to Barcelona 12 day itinerary. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary during the voyage. We're booked into Baja 229 mini-suite (can't afford a suite, but hoping for an upsell). We've only cruised on a couple of 3-5 day trips before, and its been at least 10 years since we sailed with Princess. I"m asking for any insights, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, etc.

I know this will be the first sailing coming off its drydock; should I have any concerns, anything to watch out for. Our actual anniversary date is during an at sea day. I was thinking of doing spa day with massages and then the Ultimate Balcony dining for that evening. I saw their Anniversary and their Vow renewal packages. Does anyone have any experience with these, ie are they worth it, or are they too corny?

We have first seating for dinner, the idea being that if we're running late in port, it would probably be easier to switch to a later time than an earlier time. Are the specialty restaurants, Sabatini's and Bayou Cafe worthwhile, and if so, worthwhile for a second go round, or a second go round for the UBD.

Is the Sanctuary on this type of trip with only 3 at sea days worthwhile?

We will be In Venice for a few days prior and Barcelona for a few days after, so I'm not too concerned about timing regarding embarkation or disembarkation times. However, what is the likelihood that all the specialty restaurant reservations or Sanctuary reservations are gone by the time we board if it is later in the day?

We are not the privileged platinum or elite cruisers, but may want to take advantage of the ship laundry as compared to DIY in the laundry rooms. For the common folk, what kind of turn around can be expected?

I know, we''ll have other questions, but the last for now is any thoughts on the Princess Port Excursions offered, or are some ports better for DIY.

Thanks to the community

Ed and Julie

You can't just switch back and for between early seating and second seating. All of the tables are assigned for each seating. So you would have to go to another venue (room service, buffet, specialty restaurant, etc) if you were too late for your regular table.

Another option would be to change to Anytime Dining. With this option, you show up when you are ready to eat and are given a table.

You won't have any problem booking specialty dining after boarding. No rush. As for the Sanctuary, if you plan to book for the entire cruise, go as soon as you board to book. If you plan to book for a day at a time, you'll need to get to the Sanctuary very early in the morning if the day you want. Some ships are allowing pre-booking the afternoon before.

Congratulations in advance on your 30th anniversary! That's a lovely milestone. The only time we sailed on the Island Princess some of our cruisemates were celebrating an anniversary and they did the renewal of vows. I didn't think it was corny at all. I thought it was very nicely done and our friends clearly enjoyed it.

I also would recommend that you change to Anytime Dining. On a cruise like yours with so many port days, you may find early dining a real stretch to make. As for the Sanctuary, I would not book it for the entire cruise on such a port-intensive cruise. It's just my opinion, but I think that would be a waste of money. When my DH and I did a Grand Med cruise a few years ago we didn't book the Sanctuary even though we normally do. I would take my chances on the sea days instead.

I would definitely book the Sanctuary for the week and enjoy it on those 3 sea days and when you return from excursions-unless you plan all-day ones.

You would need to board early to bag the S for the week and get your pick of the loungers.

I just did a week on a ship without a Sanctuary but it was port intensive-one sea day-and we took long excursions so we only missed it on our one sea day. They serve Afternoon Tea there so if you go stick around until 3.30!

As Paul said you can't bounce around from Early TD to Late so Anytime Dining is the way to go to be fair to everyone. I haven't waited more than 5 minutes ever for a table but your mileage may vary-you can get a pager and go relax in a bar, no hardship in waiting.

The UBD is the best $100 you will ever spend. Enjoy to the max.

Have a stellar cruise!!

Norris

Thank you everyone for your input. Regarding Anytime Dining, I have read on the forums that it does not particularly work well on the Island Princess. Is this an over exaggeration, or maybe I should just change to late seating. Thanks again.

Don't change to late seating. You have a very port intense cruise. Probably will go to bed early as the tours start early in morning. Eating late, you may not leave the dining room till 10:15pm. No time for food to digest. Your tours should get you back in time for dinner on early seating. We had early on ours, and not a problem. A couple of days we were just too tired to go to dining room and just went to Horizon Ct. instead.

As far as the sanctuary, with only a couple of sea days, don't book the week. No time to use it.

Enjoy your cruise, one of our favorites, especially the time in Venice.

Edited by san diego sue

We normally do Anytime and while our experiences on Coral and Island were not as good as on the other ships, for a port intensive itinerary it should work much better as folks are eating at all different times.

We did just a very port intensive cruise on Holland America, and found ourselves so exhausted that we ate dinner in the buffet some evenings, wanting a quicker dining experience and much more casual dress (no MDR dress comments, please!!).

Make sure to spend lots of time on the Europe Boards researching port tours, etc. We did Grand Med. in 2013 on the Royal Princess, reverse direction and it is a spectacular itinerary!

Thank you everyone for your input. Regarding Anytime Dining, I have read on the forums that it does not particularly work well on the Island Princess. Is this an over exaggeration, or maybe I should just change to late seating. Thanks again.

How well it works depends on how many of about 1000 of your new best friends want to dine at the same time you want to.

We did it twice on Coral and had no problems. Once as a party of 3 in Alaska; once as a couple on Panama Canal rt itinerary. No waits. We usually offered to share but always got our own table.

I know this will be the first sailing coming off its drydock; should I have any concerns, anything to watch out for.

Drydocks often affect the last cruise prior and the first cruise post, so there may be work continuing on your cruise. You don't mention where your cabin is located -- if it's in an existing cabin area on a deck with cabins above and below, you shouldn't have any issues in your cabin. They will be doing a ton of work at the stern of the ship (on many decks), so that is where I would be more worried.

One issue some of us expect the changes may affect permanently is the evening shows. They are eliminating the Universe Lounge venue and adding 240 additional passengers, so the shows may become crowded and require early arrival to snag a good seat (or any seat).

And -- PLEASE come back to the Princess forum once you get back and start a new thread with your review! Many of us are very interested in hearing your experience with the new layout. This is a cruise I have been watching for a while, and the substitution of Island for the mega-ships made it even better -- unless the changes totally ruin Island Princess (so let's hope that we have been over-reacting and it will still be a really nice ship). Enjoy!

Drydocks often affect the last cruise prior and the first cruise post, so there may be work continuing on your cruise. You don't mention where your cabin is located -- if it's in an existing cabin area on a deck with cabins above and below, you shouldn't have any issues in your cabin. They will be doing a ton of work at the stern of the ship (on many decks), so that is where I would be more worried.

One issue some of us expect the changes may affect permanently is the evening shows. They are eliminating the Universe Lounge venue and adding 240 additional passengers, so the shows may become crowded and require early arrival to snag a good seat (or any seat).

We'll be in Baja 229, forward in the ship. I don't think there will be construction around us, but am still worried that ongoing work after sailing would detract from the on-board experience. Thanks, Ed

And since the dining rooms will remain the same size, up to 240 additional passengers will be assigned to Anytime.

Our recent experience on the Island was that their Any Time Dining did not work well. But there is usually a solution to problems if you take the time to think them out. Instead of going to Crooner's for our before dinner cocktail and then going on to dinner we stopped by the Any Time Dining room on our way to Crooners and picked up a pager. Took the pager with us to Crooners and by the time we finished our cocktail and went down to the dining room our table was usually ready. ;)

Our experience aboard both the Island (PC) and the Coral (Alaska) in regard to anytime dining are nothing but positive. The only time we ever waited for a table was when we request a table for 2... and that wait was no more then five to ten minutes. The thing we found most beneficial was we never had to hurry to get back to the ship for a traditional seating. However, like several CC 's mentioned we are very concerned with the new layout for the Island... we are dong the Grand Med cruise August 2015..... 240 more people for everything... lounge chairs, drinks, dining... I hope Princess realizes what a great ship Island was... we see the only improvements to the Island with this retrofit will be Princess' profits!

The Grand Med cruise is very port intensive and can be quite tiring if you try to see everything. However on your cruise you will have two half days and three sea days. Depending what you do in Toulon you might have another half day. You might get value out of the Sanctuary on your cruise even thought you probably won't make it up there on the Istanbul, Athens, Naples, Florence and Rome days.

Timing of formal nights might be unusual on your cruise and the second one might be on the last sea day. The first formal night will probably be on one of the first two sea days. The Spa is quite busy on the days of formal nights and the spa can be pre-reserved online. I would suggest making reservations in advance if you plan to celebrate your anniversary on a sea day.

The formal night menus are typically pretty good and you might not want to miss those nights in the DR. We did the Grand Med this year and many days when we got back to the ship we wanted to relax a bit and early TD would not have been good. Late TD may be too late if you want to rest up for the next day. With the UBD, a specialty dinner or two and a couple of late ports, you probably wouldn't use early TD that much. You can hold on to it for now, but I would recommend AT dining on the Grand Med. If the Regal was still able to sail in to Venice it would be a no brainer because the Horizon Court/Bistro is so great with so many good options every day. The Island's HC will be modified but it won't compare to the Royal/Regal.

Those are my thoughts based upon our experience. Enjoy you cruise and you 30th anniversary. The Grand Med is a great way to celebrate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My wife and I will be sailing on the Island Princess for its May 22, 2015 Grand Mediterranean Venice to Barcelona 12 day itinerary. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary during the voyage. We're booked into Baja 229 mini-suite (can't afford a suite, but hoping for an upsell). We've only cruised on a couple of 3-5 day trips before, and its been at least 10 years since we sailed with Princess. I"m asking for any insights, suggestions, warnings, recommendations, etc.

I know this will be the first sailing coming off its drydock; should I have any concerns, anything to watch out for. Our actual anniversary date is during an at sea day. I was thinking of doing spa day with massages and then the Ultimate Balcony dining for that evening. I saw their Anniversary and their Vow renewal packages. Does anyone have any experience with these, ie are they worth it, or are they too corny?

We have first seating for dinner, the idea being that if we're running late in port, it would probably be easier to switch to a later time than an earlier time. Are the specialty restaurants, Sabatini's and Bayou Cafe worthwhile, and if so, worthwhile for a second go round, or a second go round for the UBD.

Is the Sanctuary on this type of trip with only 3 at sea days worthwhile?

We will be In Venice for a few days prior and Barcelona for a few days after, so I'm not too concerned about timing regarding embarkation or disembarkation times. However, what is the likelihood that all the specialty restaurant reservations or Sanctuary reservations are gone by the time we board if it is later in the day?

We are not the privileged platinum or elite cruisers, but may want to take advantage of the ship laundry as compared to DIY in the laundry rooms. For the common folk, what kind of turn around can be expected?

I know, we''ll have other questions, but the last for now is any thoughts on the Princess Port Excursions offered, or are some ports better for DIY.

Thanks to the community

Ed and Julie

Hi, have a wonderful cruise, we were on the Island in June this year for 34 days and it is now our favourite Ship, and it was in great condition then ,so any improvements after dry dock will be a bonus.We were in Mini B228 for 14 days which is the exact position as yours but on the Port side, A Very Quiet area and Covered,We were also in C226 Mini for 20 days ,but not as quiet as B228 , both an easy walk up to the Horizon Court.Also they have one of the best Walking tracks too. In regard to Seating, after trying them all we liked the Anytime Dining as we are anytime eaters. We also tried the Specialty Restaurants and found them overhyped and not worth the money. Have not been on the Coral yet but they say she is also a beautiful Ship. The Atrium on the Island is the most beautiful of all the Princess Ships we have been on. We are now Just looking to find another Itinery that suits so we can go on her OR the Coral again. Brenda & Geoff

Hi, have a wonderful cruise, we were on the Island in June this year for 34 days and it is now our favourite Ship, and it was in great condition then ,so any improvements after dry dock will be a bonus.We were in Mini B228 for 14 days which is the exact position as yours but on the Port side, A Very Quiet area and Covered,We were also in C226 Mini for 20 days ,but not as quiet as B228 , both an easy walk up to the Horizon Court.Also they have one of the best Walking tracks too. In regard to Seating, after trying them all we liked the Anytime Dining as we are anytime eaters. We also tried the Specialty Restaurants and found them overhyped and not worth the money. Have not been on the Coral yet but they say she is also a beautiful Ship. The Atrium on the Island is the most beautiful of all the Princess Ships we have been on. We are now Just looking to find another Itinery that suits so we can go on her OR the Coral again. Brenda & Geoff

Coral's two main itineraries -- Alaska Inside Passage and Panama Canal -- are both wonderful cruises.

We did the grand med 2012 and did all excursions using princess shore excursions...loved them all.

Some ports like Rome are far away from the sites and rail, cars, taxis are all subject to the will of the Italian..schedules are iffy.

We did a full day Rome tour that had us walking thru streets and alleys like a local with a guide and it was fabulous...bus drops you off and you walk to,Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon, Piaza Navona Etc

In Naples we did the tour to Pompeii and Sorrento..another full day.

In Florence, we did a full day tour to Cinque Terre..off the beaten path and unbelievable...google it and you will want to go.

Istanbul we did a tour to the Blue mosque and sophia Hagia.

Kusadasi we did the tour to Ephesus ...breathtaking.

Mykonos you can do on your own as the port town is right there.

When we did it the port was Monaco now Toulon so,cant comment.

Yes you could do it all on your own but given the very port intensive nature of this cruise, it is really nice to sit back and let someone else do the planning, scheduling, and driving.

Most nites we just ate dinner ( anytime but we were on the much larger Ruby) and went to bed as most days were early starts given the distance to be travelled from many of the ports.

This was our favourite cruise so enjoy!

Edited by remydiva