Yikes!!

Ginnyjen

I really didn't mean to offend anyone, its just that we have cruised exclusively with HAL for many years (just short of 5 stars) and I was a little apprehensive to try another line, but I thought it would be a fun experience and interesting to hear if other "HAL Devotees" had done the same. Sorry if I upset anyone.

You have done absolutely nothing to offend anyone.

I have enjoyed this thread, as I sometimes wonder about trying Princess. With family members who sail on that line and are continually attempting to get us to switch, I find it really interesting to read others' opinions and comparisons. Your feelings about this are what mine would be, too.

Please come back and let us know how it compares to HAL. Have a great cruise!

I really didn't mean to offend anyone, its just that we have cruised exclusively with HAL for many years (just short of 5 stars) and I was a little apprehensive to try another line, but I thought it would be a fun experience and interesting to hear if other "HAL Devotees" had done the same. Sorry if I upset anyone.

Don't worry about it. This has been a pretty helpful thread for some of us. :)

I am not offended at all! My first impression regarding your inquiry was that you were seeking advise from fellow HAL cruisers who also may have sailed Princess.

As a regular HAL cruiser trying a different cruise line, I am sure you are excited and perhaps a little apprehensive about trying something new...

Can't wait to hear how your trip went and what you thought of Princess!

Have a Great Cruise!!!!:D

When I try to compare Princess and HAL there are +'s and -'s on both sides and at the end of the day I really can't split them. Save to say I really love Princess' Little Sisters, but as Ocean is going, and I suspect Pacific may follow, there really won't be the proverbial struck match between them.

Trying Princess for the first time...........have cruised exclusively with HAL (****), but this cruise leaves out of SF to Mexico for 10 days, which is our home, so we're giving it a shot. Big ship, 2600, which we are not use to, but will be fun to try something new...........which us luck!!

And this message is posted on the Holland America Line board exactly why???

To get opinions and comparisons I'm guessing. Would also like to ask you in kind why your post was made?

I asked the question because the OPs message said absolutely nothing about requesting opinions or comparisons. This seems to be purely the supposition of cruz chic. To me, the original posting was simply a statement that a cruise was being booked on Princess an as such, IMHO, belonged on the Princess board and not on the HAL board.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving

I asked the question because the OPs message said absolutely nothing about requesting opinions or comparisons. This seems to be purely the supposition of cruz chic. To me, the original posting was simply a statement that a cruise was being booked on Princess an as such, IMHO, belonged on the Princess board and not on the HAL board.

Scott & Karen

I have posted almost exclusively on this board since I joined CC and have come to know many posters whose opinions I value and who give reliable information. I don't "know" anybody on the Princess boards and would not know who was a reliable source of information. if I were to contemplate a Princess cruise I would want to hear from HAL cruisers on this board who had cruised Princess.

If that day should arise please feel free to skip over my request for input.

Scott & Karen

seriously????? When I report on my Oceania cruise for those HAL cruisers who may be interested in a comparison just skip my thread please.

I have posted almost exclusively on this board since I joined CC and have come to know many posters whose opinions I value and who give reliable information. I don't "know" anybody on the Princess boards and would not know who was a reliable source of information. if I were to contemplate a Princess cruise I would want to hear from HAL cruisers on this board who had cruised Princess.

If that day should arise please feel free to skip over my request for input.

Exactly. You are going to ask for opinions where your comfort level is.

I always have to laugh when I read these comparison threads, some of the HAL regulars get a little defensive. But when someone starts a thread such as the recent one discussing the deterioration of HAL food, many of the same people honestly say the food is not that good anymore.

For the record I love Princess which is on the upswing. Twelve or thirteen years ago HAL was a step better but now the reverse is true, IMO.

The parent company for both lines is Carnival and they are pouring money into Princess. Industry insiders have said for years they love Princess. IMO the Holland America line has been on the decline in comparison, as if it has been devalued by the parent company.

Both lines are mass market. It is fun to compare and contrast as long as people avoid being too defensive. They both offer a good product for the money, with the exception of Prinsendam which is a different price point. I did not see the value added component. For those that do more power to you and the execs love your business.

Edited by sammiedawg

To me, the original posting was simply a statement that a cruise was being booked on Princess an as such, IMHO, belonged on the Princess board and not on the HAL board.

I guess that sort of depends on what you see as the reason for the forum.

If you see it as only a place to ask cruise questions, or share cruise information, then maybe ("maybe", not "definitely") you are right.

But if you also see it as a place where people who love cruising can chat with each other, then the OP's post was perfectly appropriate on this board. She has posted here before.

Feel free to skip posts you don't approve of. You are also free to report such posts, and let the moderators apply the appropriate guidelines.

I guess that sort of depends on what you see as the reason for the forum.

If you see it as only a place to ask cruise questions, or share cruise information, then maybe ("maybe", not "definitely") you are right.

But if you also see it as a place where people who love cruising can chat with each other, then the OP's post was perfectly appropriate on this board. She has posted here before.

Feel free to skip posts you don't approve of. You are also free to report such posts, and let the moderators apply the appropriate guidelines.

Good, Ruth.

I would add that reading between the lines is a useful way of interacting with posts. People do not usually spell out ever last little thought and the OP is a good example.

If I were the OP, I would mean: "here is my position, any thoughts? I don't want to impose, but I am nervous and wondering and any info would be appreciated".

Good, Ruth.

I would add that reading between the lines is a useful way of interacting with posts. People do not usually spell out ever last little thought and the OP is a good example.

If I were the OP, I would mean: "here is my position, any thoughts? I don't want to impose, but I am nervous and wondering and any info would be appreciated".

Exactly. Sometimes the real question is behind the one that is posted. Sometimes the OP is trying to open a door so they can discuss a situation. And sometimes the OP doesn't have enough information to be able to formulate a question, but knows that they need to fill in the blanks somehow.

It's important to give them a chance, or move along if you don't want to do that. As my father used to say: If you can't help, don't hinder.

WOW! I was GOING to post that right after my HAL Westerdam cruise March 7-14th I am going to hop on the Carnival Conquest for another week ...and that while I have previously sailed both it will be very interesting to be able to compare cruiselines again back to back.

I know some people think Carnival is the Walmart of the Seas but for us it serves it purpose. We loved the ports we are going to, we think the ship is beautiful, but the price was awesome. That was the deal breaker..the price was so good I was kinda shocked. Also, we like some of the silly, fun things Carnival does because sometimes I like being silly and fun myself.

Even though we love HAL best we feel that other lines may meet our needs and checkbook.

But I won't post the above now so I don't get internetslapped:rolleyes:

WOW! I was GOING to post that right after my HAL Westerdam cruise March 7-14th I am going to hop on the Carnival Conquest for another week ...and that while I have previously sailed both it will be very interesting to be able to compare cruiselines again back to back.

I know some people think Carnival is the Walmart of the Seas but for us it serves it purpose. We loved the ports we are going to, we think the ship is beautiful, but the price was awesome. That was the deal breaker..the price was so good I was kinda shocked. Also, we like some of the silly, fun things Carnival does because sometimes I like being silly and fun myself.

Even though we love HAL best we feel that other lines may meet our needs and checkbook.

But I won't post the above now so I don't get internetslapped:rolleyes:

We are all looking to understand the differences and the similarities between lines. Depending on our needs at the moment -- another viewpoint its good. Please post your questions -- contrary to popular belief --many HAL sailors also sail Carnival and other lines -- depending on the situation. POST AWAY.

Edited by momatibm

This happens with the regulars of other lines, in their forums.

That's for sure. There is a queen bee over on the princess forum and you better not be saying anything bad about princess. I get very irritated at how difficult it is to get the shareholders obc applied on princess. I got beaten up over that with queenie. I had to laugh when some of the regulars agreed with me:D.

This itinerary looks wonderful, and we're thinking about taking the same cruise in February. We've sailed HAL and Princess. I'm just a bit apprehensive about the size of the Princess ship and whether there'll be loads of kids. Being a 10 night cruise, that seems less likely. Husband wants to give it a go, but I'm just not sure about the massive size of the Star. Still... the itinerary is great, and perhaps we can splurge a bit and do a mini suite. The prices seem almost too good to pass up. I'll look forward to your trip report when you return. When is your cruise? Have a ton of fun!

We are all looking to understand the differences and the similarities between lines. Depending on our needs at the moment -- another viewpoint its good. Please post your questions -- contrary to popular belief --many HAL sailors also sail Carnival and other lines -- depending on the situation. POST AWAY.

Agree whole heartily.

Scott & Karen

Along the way in this world you learn life skills. You have travelled extensively which usually helps, but perhaps not always. It was not necessary for the OP to spell out exactly the feedback they were seeking. It was quite evident to the majority and they responded accordingly. If you didn't understand you could have just moved on or asked politely instead of being critical. Hopefully other CC-ers have helped you along the way at some point.

This itinerary looks wonderful, and we're thinking about taking the same cruise in February. We've sailed HAL and Princess. I'm just a bit apprehensive about the size of the Princess ship and whether there'll be loads of kids. Being a 10 night cruise, that seems less likely. Husband wants to give it a go, but I'm just not sure about the massive size of the Star. Still... the itinerary is great, and perhaps we can splurge a bit and do a mini suite. The prices seem almost too good to pass up. I'll look forward to your trip report when you return. When is your cruise? Have a ton of fun!

We've cruised Princess pretty often and haven't run into very many kid-crowds on board. Though we generally do 10-day or longer winter itineraries (avoiding Spring break), so the U.S. school schedule probably impacted the number of kids aboard when we've cruised. It seems to me I remember more kids on RCI ships. And our Med cruise on HAL had more kids than we've seen on Princess. So--time of year and length of cruise will likely have a bigger impact on the number of kids on board either HAL or Princess ships.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed our first cruise on Princess...........10 day round trip from SF to Mexico......We have cruised strictly on HAL for quite a while so we were looking forward to something new......It is a beautiful ship, many dining venues, great food and entertainment, very diverse crew. We really had a great time. But being a frequent HAL cruiser, we found the Veranda cabins to be very small, especially the bathrooms (tiny). To equal a veranda cabin on HAL you have to upgrade to a mini-suite. Also, when disembarking, you have to be out of your cabin by 8 am and wait in a public area for your number to be called. But I have to say, the ship had 2600 passengers and everything went very smoothly. The age range was 40 - 80, very few kids. All in all, very enjoyable, but when you're use to traveling in a certain way, its fun to try new things, but you always go back to what you're use to, which we like.