it!s the little things that get me

DOJO466

Perhaps when this poster is referring to agency fees, they mean the O deviation fee of $175 p/p? Yet another bothersome fee

Looks like we were on the same wave length ...

That fee wasn't so bothersome when it was $50pp ...

Mura

Edited by Mura

No offense meant to you Caroldoll but most of us here cannot afford a private flight. We are all aware that you book the Owners Suite, travel in utmost comfort, and obviously enjoy the finer things in life. Your comments on finding "THE" agent to get us what we want does not apply to the vast majority on this board. Kudos to you for being able to enjoy such luxuries but.....I need to stop here:rolleyes:

Looks like we were on the same wave length ...

That fee wasn't so bothersome when it was $50pp ...

Mura

No it was't at all. You go a bit further back than us. When we started w/O it was $75 p/p. DidnT give it a second thought. Now it gets a lot of thought. Wish we had enough miles to do business class...but working on points (all these cruise charges add up:D) so someday soon we will do it and it will feel so good!:D

No it was't at all. You go a bit further back than us. When we started w/O it was $75 p/p. DidnT give it a second thought. Now it gets a lot of thought. Wish we had enough miles to do business class...but working on points (all these cruise charges add up:D) so someday soon we will do it and it will feel so good!:D

Deb,

We'll have that talk for sure :D

Paul

omg -- you are paying for a TA? You should never have to pay for a travel agent when you are booking an Oceania cruise. On top of that, they seem clueless in terms of being able to do business with Oceania. I understand that you are probably stuck this time, but, PLEASE do not use a TA that: 1) charges for their services and; 2) does not regularly book Oceania cruises. You would have done better to book directly with Oceania. I truly hope you are getting a large on board credit from this travel agent.

I do hope that you enjoy your Oceania experience and realize that the entire "colossal clusterfumble" is caused by your TA -- not Oceania.

The agency fee I mentioned is the O deviation fee. If they're going to charge the fee they need to do the job.

My TA is VERY experienced with the cruise industry, and used to work with one of the major airlines doing cruise bookings. I am a frequent flyer with status on two airlines. Between us, we know the airline business and how the booking game works better than some of the O people we have dealt with. That's actually part of the problem - we know how it's supposed to be done, and some of the O agents are clueless.

The problem here is with O, not my TA.

Colleen,

We look forward to sailing with you again and playing trivia.

Best to you both till then.

And Ken and I will be on board too - I hope I can play Trivia with all of you!

As for flights - we have a different situation as we can never use the Regent Air which wouldnt get us back to Switzerland - we have to get, one way, to Miami which is really expensive since we fly Business. Luckily I had a lot of BA miles and Iberia flies Geneva/Madrid/ Miami - so we are doing that for free! Getting from BCN to Switzerland is easy-peasy - Swiss allows one way business fares so we got seats to Zürich that didn't cost an arm - and a leg!:)

Looking forward to seeing you on board!!

Gerry

And Ken and I will be on board too - I hope I can play Trivia with all of you!

Looking forward to seeing you on board!!

Gerry

Gerry,

I would welcome you on our team.

I have been reading your posts here for some time and am looking forward to meeting you in person and putting a face to a CC name :)

Paul

I agree. When we first sailed the fee was $75pp which was acceptable. The $175pp is excessive. Now that I am retired I don't accrue frequent flyer miles like before so business class is not in the picture.

Lufthansa is considered a "low cost Carrier" so that may be why they joined the fees for seats bandwagon. I have not been charged to date for Qantas, Delta or American.

Sorry, I did misinterpret the agency fee to mean travel agency instead of deviation fee.

TERRIER1: Had to laugh at your post about Lufthansa being a low cost carrier. That is how I view Delta and American Airlines. Not certain how you view British Airways but they charge the most for seats -- even for business class. We booked business class seats in advance for our last flight - one way and it cost $128/person (note: it was more money for business class upstairs than downstairs -- approximately a $25/person difference).

The airlines are definitely in the "drivers seat" and can charge whatever they want to since people are not about to stop flying. My guess is that other airlines will begin charging for booking seats in advance. Very sad state of affairs for customers.

I also do not have FF points ..we just do not spend enough through the yr to get enough points to travel even economy

First & business, economy comfort so far do not charge bag or seat fees

I think the long haul flights overseas are so far exempt

Perhaps if you are willing to pay the fee your TA can book seats for you or instruct Oceania to do so & pay the fee with your CC at the time of booking

Lyn

Oh to be rich instead of pretty ...:D

I am currently having major problems with O's air department - colossal clusterfumble. Seat selection is only one of the issues.

Leaving aside the fee for seat selection, when I pay $350 in agency fees I expect the agent to do their job, which includes booking the seats, even if I have to pay the fee. :mad:

O is 0 for 2 on my scoreboard because of the air arrangements. This is probably a deal breaker for future cruises. I hope someone from O is lurking: you really need to fix this problem!

You seem to have an axe to grind with Oceania in all of your posts here. With this attitude going in it will unfortunately color your experience. Don't know what cruise you're taking but you might check the cancellation rates. I'd hate to spend the kind of money that O costs and then be miserable the whole time.

Good luck with your issues.

Edited by ORV

The agency fee I mentioned is the O deviation fee. If they're going to charge the fee they need to do the job.

My TA is VERY experienced with the cruise industry, and used to work with one of the major airlines doing cruise bookings. I am a frequent flyer with status on two airlines. Between us, we know the airline business and how the booking game works better than some of the O people we have dealt with. That's actually part of the problem - we know how it's supposed to be done, and some of the O agents are clueless.

The problem here is with O, not my TA.

If you are that knowledgeable, why not use your computer and do your own air? TA's get little or nothing anymore from airlines for booking a client's air; hence little motivation to get involved- unless you are willing to pay a fee to them for this service.

Handle your own air and be in control of flights, seats,connections, etc.

There is no fee, "agency" or otherwise, to use Oceania's standard air. The deviation fee is an administrative fee charged to offset the extra time and effort to create a custom booking, and has nothing to do with seats and such. The air department is limited by contracts and such in what they can do. Folks who are not willing to work within these limitations don't usually complain, they simply book their own air. Folks with "status" on airlines usually have miles they can use.

Gerry,

I have been reading your posts here for some time and am looking forward to meeting you in person and putting a face to a CC name :)

Paul

Many thanks Paul! Are you on the Roll Call thread for the cruise? I think there is going to be a CC "Meet and Greet" on the day after we sail...

Jackie - I, too, don't think of LH as being "low cost" - and also on BA had to pay 100frs/seat to get seats in Business class even though we were paying 100% for the ticket - no miles involved. Apparently their lower price Business class doesn't include reserving seats unless you pay more whereas the Business Flex, high price fare does include the seats. On Swiss, on the other hand, the fare includes the seat res. But then Swiss is usually more expensive (after all, it is owned 100% by LH!!)

Gerry

Edited by Hambagahle

Gerry - We had no idea that Swiss was owned by Lufthansa. We really like the service and food on LH but find the angle of the Business class seats quite uncomfortable. However, we would rather fly almost any airline that is not based in the U.S. As much as I love my country, I find the service and food terrible - even in Business class or First class on U.S. airlines to be horrible. We were once served a hamburger in First class that was offered for sale in Coach for $5.

In any case, we are not happy to see more airlines charging for booking seats in advance.

As much as I love my country, I find the service and food terrible - even in Business class or First class on U.S. airlines to be horrible

I wouldn't get caught up into the food or seats too much as looking first at the safety record. The USA airlines are the best.

I wouldn't get caught up into the food or seats too much as looking first at the safety record. The USA airlines are the best.

Just did some research and, unfortunately, airlines in the USA do not rank the highest for safety. Below is from CNN and reports top airlines for safety as of 2013. Note: Qantas has been #1 for as long as I can remember. Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines have also made the top list for a long time. I also have a list of the least safest airlines but don't want to freak all of us out (I'm already in shock over one of them).

(CNN) -- Flight-phobics, relax -- a list of the world's safest airlines has just been released.

Top of the ranking from AirlineRatings.com of the safest carriers in 2013 is the Australian airline Qantas.

Awarding it a full seven stars, the website cites the airline's fatality-free flying record from the beginning of the jet era in the early 1950s.

Other airlines sharing the seven-star rating and winning a place among the top 10 safest airlines are, in alphabetical order, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Eva Air, Royal Jordanian, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic.

Edited by Travelcat2

Gerry,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have been reading YOUR posts on CC for years also. I am very much looking forward to meeting you on the TA in April and putting a face with your name! I always try and read your posts because I consider you the frequent flyer guru and would also enjoy hearing your ideas -- either on board or via email (billiehatcableonedotnet). My husband is all legs and so we have been biting the bullet and paying for Business Class on international flights for years.

We fly out of PHX and for this cruise, we will be flying on AA points in both directions and staying in Marriott hotels on points in Phoenix, Fort Lauderdale, and Barcelona so we always appreciate FF tips!

Hope to hear from you,

Billie

You seem to have an axe to grind with Oceania in all of your posts here. With this attitude going in it will unfortunately color your experience. Don't know what cruise you're taking but you might check the cancellation rates. I'd hate to spend the kind of money that O costs and then be miserable the whole time.

Good luck with your issues.

I am leaving today for Barcelona from Vancouver. I used O air with the deviation. They booked the flights and reserved the seats . I changed the seats with BA at no charge.

Hi Paul,

We fly out of PHX and for this cruise, we will be flying on AA points in both directions and staying in Marriott hotels on points in Phoenix, Fort Lauderdale, and Barcelona so we always appreciate FF tips!

Hope to hear from you,

Billie

You caught on well... I haven't flown coach or paid either domestic or international since 2000 ! and have in the bank 7 figures of miles and almost 2 weeks in Marriotts...

Points-points points..on everything your do. UAL allows you to do a Award accelerator and buy back miles for 2cents up to 3 times the distance flown.

Do you pay your home mort on cc? You can.

As to food....haven't had a bad meal on United. that I can remember ! and love the lie flat business first seats on the 757's and the 767-400 s

You caught on well... I haven't flown coach or paid either domestic or international since 2000 ! and have in the bank 7 figures of miles and almost 2 weeks in Marriotts...

Points-points points..on everything your do. UAL allows you to do a Award accelerator and buy back miles for 2cents up to 3 times the distance flown.

Do you pay your home mort on cc? You can.

As to food....haven't had a bad meal on United. that I can remember ! and love the lie flat business first seats on the 757's and the 767-400 s

Question for you..

EXCLUDING credit card churn, what's the MOST miles you have accrued in one year?

If not accruing miles from work travel.

Edited by kimanjo

Just went through booking my seats to Europe for next fall. My best connections and prices were with American. What I did was search and find American flights, not Iberian/BA flights that American codeshares with, and only booked American flight over the pond. Was able to do this both ways. The return is actually an US Airways flight that American can't book seats on yet. However, American will give you the USAir confirmation number and you can call USAir and they will give you a seat assignment for free.

As a note, the exact bookings I wanted didn't pop up as a choice on the system. I called American, told them what I wanted, and had them book the flight and seats. Since the computer did not offer me the American option, they did not charge me a fee for using their customer service rep on the phone. Then she transferred me straight over to USAir to get my seats there. I didn't even have to make the call. We are flying PE on American as with US Air. We did pay a separate fee to US Air for the seat upgrade, but even that was minor. Come January 15, the merger should be complete and everything on American's system.

I have done this in the past likewise with United. Only fly United's flights, not code share flights.

Hi Paul,

I have been reading YOUR posts on CC for years also. I am very much looking forward to meeting you on the TA in April and putting a face with your name! I always try and read your posts because I consider you the frequent flyer guru and would also enjoy hearing your ideas -- either on board or via email (billiehatcableonedotnet). My husband is all legs and so we have been biting the bullet and paying for Business Class on international flights for years.

Hope to hear from you,

Billie

Hi Billie,

Thank you for the compliment.

I will be happy to share with you (and Deb) all that I have learned over the last 10+ years about FF miles. While it is not that complicated for someone who has been doing it for a while, it can be a little overwhelming for a beginner. That is why it is best discussed in person rather than via an e mail. We should have enough time on the TA cruise on one of the sea days to do just that.

I look forward to meeting you as well.

Paul

Jackie - take heart! LH is slowly replacing its seats with lie-flat ones (not the angled ones they had). Swiss has excellent lie flat beds in Business already.

I would not get on a US airline unless I really had no choice. And I don't think they are the safest either - but having flown QANTAS I won't fly that again, ever. (Even though the coffee is terrific! - Plunger pot!) To us (Europeans) the standard of cabin service even in Business or First on a US carrier is terrible AND the flight attendants look sloppy too. (With few exceptions.) I am used to having reasonable food even in economy class on short haul flights AND no charge for drinks either. (I do not fly EasyJet!) I once had the fabulous chance to fly SQ (singapore) in business class SIN/ZRH. It was totally, utterly, fabulous. But Swiss AND BA are also very very good. Of the two I prefer Swiss and that isn't because I am Swiss!! Seats are wider and very comfortable as beds.