Where to start?

Koshlong

Although we've cruised a fair bit, mostly on HAL, we've just started to think about river cruising. We'd probably try a European one to start with.

I've browsed the websites of Viking, Uniworld, AMA, and Avalon, ordered and read a guidebook on river cruising...and I really don't know what to do next.

I'd love some ideas on how to decide on a line, a ship, and an itinerary. I think the itinerary is going to be the easiest part.

Can you please share with me some of the "getting started" information you/ve picked up?

Thanks in advance

I've browsed the websites of Viking, Uniworld, AMA, and Avalon, ordered and read a guidebook on river cruising...and I really don't know what to do next.

Just book it :)

In fact IMO itinerary is the most important in river cruising. The cruise lines you mentioned are pretty much the same with some differences that should not affect your first river cruise impression. Though everyone's here has a different opinion about the service, ship etc...

Try to compare the prices as well. Few years ago we selected Viking and never regretted.

Although we've cruised a fair bit, mostly on HAL, we've just started to think about river cruising. We'd probably try a European one to start with.

I'd love some ideas on how to decide on a line, a ship, and an itinerary. I think the itinerary is going to be the easiest part.

Can you please share with me some of the "getting started" information you/ve picked up?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to cruise critic! The most important thing is the itinerary. If the ship doesn't go where you want to go, it doesn't matter how good the food is or how luxurious the cabin is, you're going to be miserable!! Our first river cruise was Castles on the Rhine, which is a good one to start with because it's just so beautiful. I've done 7 cruises with Vantage and I keep coming back for more. Only problem is they don't market outside the US and they don't use travel agents and I'm not sure if they market in Canada. I chose them the first time because they include all your shore excursions and offer only a couple of optional excursions. As an experienced cruiser you know how quickly optionals can add up, so that was important to me and the optionals you pay extra for are usually special places that require a bus and include a meal and admission. Start collecting catalogs and comparing itineraries, pick out the one that goes where you want to go, then look at things like cost, cabin size, dates, etc. And keep posting and asking questions. No matter what your question, someone on CC has dealt with it!

Edited by Hydrokitty

We had been considering a river cruise for years, everyone we talked to enjoyed this experience. We wanted to add a river cruise onto a European vacation. We attended a local presentation, there were many river cruise repeaters in the audience, all were enthusiastic. We started pricing various options and learned the 2014 summer season was largely sold out, some lines like Tauck were completely booked months in advance. I was sticker shocked at some of the pricing and our desired time frame was unavailable except for suites.

I am on numerous email lists and started paying attention to last minute river cruise deals. We had flexibility to travel in 2014 and I jumped on an inclusive package for 15 days on Viking on a brand new longship, departing in two weeks. So we started with Viking. We didn't think a seven night trip was worth the long flight, we did Budapest to Amsterdam Grand European and enjoyed our experience. I would classify Viking as a midrange line, most of the food was good, not great, the ships are new and nice and the included tours were interesting as an overview experience. If you want a high end cruise look into Tauck or Uniworld.

Yes, itinerary is first. [And Hydrokitty is right that a cruise that includes the Rhine Castles is a great first cruise.] But once you have decided on any itinerary, you will have to choose between several cruise lines.

Hydrokitty is also right about the excursions. I think that all river cruise lines offer at least one included excursion per day, but some have choices that cost more. The more inclusive lines include all excursion choices. AMA is another line that includes all excursion choices.

The other variables are the boat and the services. River boats vary from just over 100 passengers to about 200, with the average at 140-160. Many cruisers feel that the larger ships dilute the comfy feel of river cruising, and reduce the level of service. Inclusivity varies more than just excursions: are wine and beer included at meals? (most lines yes), at all times? (only the most luxurious), spirits too? (again only the most luxurious); butlers?; gratuities? (this is a big cost factor which may change your perception of "expensive" lines). Cabin size? Balcony vs French balcony vs "Aquarium class"?

OK, now that I have you totally confused: check out the sticky at the top of this forum for several helpful links, especially this one:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Just book it :)

In fact IMO itinerary is the most important in river cruising. The cruise lines you mentioned are pretty much the same with some differences that should not affect your first river cruise impression. Though everyone's here has a different opinion about the service, ship etc...

Try to compare the prices as well. Few years ago we selected Viking and never regretted.

Take a look at the reviews for the itineraries you favor. While I confess to not reading every review, my impression is that there are very few negative reviews . . . almost universally, people enjoyed their experience. Between the reviews, the stickies above and cost comparisons you will be able to figure out which line is for you.

The first step I took was to sit down with a travel agent who was familiar and actively books the different lines. Initially I went in just to talk about Viking since that was the only line I had heard of. She took the time to provide a number of brochures and ask questions about my likes and dislikes. Over a period of about an hour she recommended I look at Uniworld since I tend to prefer all inclusive. We went on Uniworld's Castles along the Rhine on the SS Antoinette in July and it was the best vacation we ever had. If you want all inclusive such as all beer/wine/spirits at any time, gratuities, excursions(other then 3 optionals when there is a free one offered at the same time), transfers, literally no charges at the end of the trip then companies such as Uniworld and Tauck(and I believe Scenic but not sure) are at the more expensive end of the spectrum and considered luxury. But when I compared Uniworld and Viking and added all that I would need to add to Viking to make them comparable I found very little difference. And yet the food, service, and amenities were truly 6 star. I researched this to death and booked a year in advance to get the cabin and cruise I desired. But it paid off. Good luck and you will probably be happy no matter what. Probably will be the difference in a good decision and a great decision.

i would recommend the Rhine cruise also. We did it with Vantage a few years ago. Below is the link to our trip story

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/europe2010.pdf

There is a great book called Castles along the Rhine you can get from Amazon. It has pictures and descriptions of each castle.

Edited by Talisker92

Oh my! You've given me so much to consider. I knew I'd get good answers here, but your information is amazing. Thank you so much.

I must admit that the "Castles on the Rhine" idea is my head too. Now I've got more companies to investigate as well.

I'm sure you'll soon hear from me with more specific questions.

Thanks again.

Oh my! You've given me so much to consider. I knew I'd get good answers here, but your information is amazing. Thank you so much.

I must admit that the "Castles on the Rhine" idea is my head too. Now I've got more companies to investigate as well.

I'm sure you'll soon hear from me with more specific questions.

Thanks again.

This is a wonderful itinerary. Please note that the itinerary changes slightly depending upon the direction. Also note that this is the most popular itinerary and gets sold out quickly

Edited by Got2Cruise

Hello,

I agree with Got2Cruise: great, popular itinerary for those new to river cruising. It gives you four countries as the starting and ending points are normally Amsterdam and Basel. it is a standard with almost all river cruise lines from what I have seen. The German company Arosa entered the American market (to compete with the North-American lines) with that itinerary because it is so popular with you across the Atlantic! And you are right to love it. :)

What has not been mentioned yet: time of year for your cruise. You might prefer higher temperatures or Spring buds or the falling leaves in Autumn... or wintery landscapes. Perhaps visualize what season you would most like to experience in Europe. And then check available dates. Yes, hurry, a lot of people have booked 2015 already, you might find quite a few dates sold out.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

As a prospective newbie, I think that time of year and climate would play into which itinerary you choose rather strongly. I'm looking at mid-September to mid-October 2015, and I really don't want to experience cold weather. I know rain is a crapshoot, but want a more "benign" climate. So, for me, the Rhine would be out, at least in October. The Danube might do it, but the Rhone or the Douro would do it better. The Seine might be fine in September, but not October.

The other reason to avoid the Rhine is precisely what people have been saying--it's the most popular itinerary. That combined with summer being the high tourist season everywhere in Europe, would be a dis-incentive, for me.

(I did drive the Rhine once, years ago, and it is indeed beautiful.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We were on the Rhine mid October with Uniworld and had beautiful weather. Our castles day was a little cool but Uniworld provided indoor viewing and listening or outdoors there were blankets heated with hot water bottles. Very comfortable!!!

Also when comparing pricing, remember Uniworld is ALL INCLUSIVE. That means all tips on the ship, the buses, the guides, your transfers, all beverages from the moment you wake up til you go to bed at night no matter what you drink whether it is hard liquor or a soft drink!!! Even all excursions are included, one per day (there may be 2-3 optional).

Diane

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on the Rhine mid October with Uniworld and had beautiful weather. Our castles day was a little cool but Uniworld provided indoor viewing and listening or outdoors there were blankets heated with hot water bottles. Very comfortable!!!

Also when comparing pricing, remember Uniworld is ALL INCLUSIVE. That means all tips on the ship, the buses, the guides, your transfers, all beverages from the moment you wake up til you go to bed at night no matter what you drink whether it is hard liquor or a soft drink!!! Even all excursions are included, one per day (there may be 2-3 optional).

Diane

We did Castles in September and it was glorious, not terribly crowded and no need for blankets with hot water bottles!

Uniworld is truly inclusive, but keep in mind you're paying for all those perks!!

Diane

We did Castles in September and it was glorious, not terribly crowded and no need for blankets with hot water bottles!

Uniworld is truly inclusive, but keep in mind you're paying for all those perks!!

Actually in some ports there are Two included tours (AM & PM) and sometimes you have a choice of several included tours to choose from on a particular day. We love Uniworld and are super excited to be on the initial voyage of what will be the newest Super Ship the S.S. Maria Theresa.

In addition to Amsterdam to Basel, you might also consider Paris to Basel (ex. Viking Rhine Rhapsody). This includes the scenic Rhine gorge where most of the castles are along with the wonderful small towns and beautiful vineyards along the Moselle.

FuelScience

I'm beginning to feel like a kid in a candy store! The choices are close to mind-boggling. I really appreciate all the help and information. I'm also just learning to use an IPad keyboard. It's kind of fun!