Standing on line at Guest Relations and.....

Lois R

[quote name='sloopsailor']A quick score so far:

people who think it's OK to cut in line: 1
people who think it's [B]NOT[/B] OK to cut in line: 40+

So nice to see that all but one person here understand that cutting in line is rude and inappropriate. For most people, practicing good manners is the best way to behave. Sadly, one person has no clue.[/QUOTE]

Sloop:

GHSTudio is one of the best posters ever on this board, been here for many years, that is just his opinion.

I do on this one have to agree with Lois, I probably would have thrown the lady overboard, not because she cut in line but because she got nasty with Lois.

So I'm standing in line today at the Guest relations counter on Millennium. I had just wasted half an hour in the i-lounge trying to check in with the air line we're flying tomorrow when I suddenly realize the date of my record locator does not match. I'm stressed because choice Air booked my flight for the wrong day and I need immediate attention to change my flight. You might think that your 15 seconds won't delay my place in line much but I would have gone ballistic.
If one's request can be resolved in only 15 seconds it's not important enough to jump in front of the person with a real issue that needs resolving.

[quote name='ghstudio']Sorry, but if your room key is demagnitized (and it can and does happen very easily), it is a very quick transaction at guest services. It's a bit like being in a grocery store where there is a line of folks with baskets of food and someone comes up wanting to check out just two items....I let them jump ahead. I put getting a new card key into the same bucket.....it's not going to delay you very much. It's not being entitled or special.....it's just reasonable to let someone get a new key without standing in line.

when the new aqua spa cafe format started, I wanted to order one of the specials...that's it....just order it. There was a long line of folks wanting salads made to order. I thought about it and decided that it was unreasonable to have to wait in a long line, just to order something...about a 15 second transaction....so I went up to the counter and between folks in line, got my order in. Maybe I should have waited in that 10 minute line to place my 15 second order.... I guess I'm now a "special people"....[/QUOTE]

Well sounds like you consider yourself one of the ENTITLED ones, so that's okay 😒

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='kitty9']I also agree with Lois. I've had the demagnetized key problem many times, and it doesn't take 10 seconds to remake a key. Heck, I've had some persons behind the desk take 5 minutes to do the key change.
You go, Lois. I admire your moxy.[/QUOTE]

Same thoughts here. Better for the blood pressure, too, to speak up instead of fuming afterward and wishing you had.

Unless you are rushing up to the desk to report someone unconscious, choking, bleeding, or having a seizure - get in line like everyone else!

[quote name='4cats4me']I disagree. A rule is a rule. If someone has been patiently waiting their turn and someone else strolls up for anything, it is cutting and it is wrong to do so.

The analogy at the grocery store is not comparable to a cruise ship line or any other line, for that matter. I don't have the right to go to the front of the line in an airport or at a security checkpoint. I see no difference in the line at the pursers desk. Lois was actually a lot nicer than I would have been. What nerve of someone to barge their way in. Imagine if 50 different people had "quick" little transactions and they wanted to jump ahead :rolleyes:
No. I especially resent when some play the "dumb" act hoping that nobody else notices. Most people won't speak up. I,however, have never been very shy about asserting myself in situations like this. ;)[/QUOTE]

GRRRRRRRR my skin crawls with all the special circumstances, playing dumb, all of the sudden no one "comprendes". Too many people think" me first"

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher . now of course we handle all police calls not just life and death . And of course we have to prioritize calls and make sure the resources go to the most crucial calls first. Yes we will respond to the nuisance routine calls , but you are going to have to wait . Depending on the time of day , volume of calls at that time, whatever ...it may be quite awhile .

The academy award winning, melodramatic , Lifetime movie circumstances people will give you so someone can come out to their priority 3 call first is actually funny.

[quote name='sloopsailor']A quick score so far:

people who think it's OK to cut in line: 1
people who think it's [B]NOT[/B] OK to cut in line: 40+

So nice to see that all but one person here understand that cutting in line is rude and inappropriate. For most people, practicing good manners is the best way to behave. Sadly, one person has no clue.[/QUOTE]

Better score that as 1 1/2 because I am cutting some slack.

Being told you don't have to line up again on a return issue at the Pursers desk happens ALL THE TIME

Whiners are the only thing that's a constant. :cool:

PS. The low opinion that people on this board have for the staff at the "desk" is sad. The hardest job on the ship, and they (not the cruise critic) know what's waht...

Mt 3 Cents. Edited by A Sixth?

Being British, we like to queue. We seem to do it well!

I annoy my husband by voicing opinions and I would have also said something. I don't see why people think it's acceptable to jump queue's. If it's urgent, then yes, go to the front but the only things I can think of being 'urgent' wouldn't involve the time to run down to GR. You'd find someone straight away and alert them to the issue.

A line is a line. If it's there, you stand in it and wait your turn. Common Courtesy. Is it gone everywhere but Canada? I certainly hope not. (Every time we go to Canada, we are amazed by the courtesy and good manners in that country. Everyone should behave like Canadians. We should all try to do that.)

Lois is right.

Ohiodoglover

[quote name='OhioDogLover']A line is a line. If it's there, you stand in it and wait your turn. Common Courtesy. Is it gone everywhere but Canada? I certainly hope not. (Every time we go to Canada, we are amazed by the courtesy and good manners in that country. Everyone should behave like Canadians. We should all try to do that.)

Lois is right.

Ohiodoglover[/QUOTE]

Maybe listening is a Canadian trait that's missing more and more in many places.

If you are told by the cruise staff to do something, do it.

I have met Lois and like her very much,,,, I'm just saying that I trust the crew's judgement more than the passengers on matters like this... and I have been told "Just come back,, don't line up" by the staff.

Relax.... trust the staff or make a complaint in writing, record it on your phone, start an occupy Pursers Desk" :p Edited by A Sixth?

I'll be more than happy to explain (nicely, of course) that the line forms that-a-way.

I wait my turn just like everyone else, and it really upsets me when someone decides their issue is more important, or they have better things to do than wait in line with the rest of the civilized folks.

I will be MORE than happy to explain it to them - nicely. I always have a smile on my face when I remind them politely that there's quite a few people who arrived ahead of them, and that the end of the line is that way.

There is also a very nice way for the Guest Relations person to remind them of the line - with a smile, of course.

"I will be very happy to help you once I am done helping those who are already in line."

That gives the line-cutter the option of getting in line, or just standing at the desk, making themselves look silly.

All of our issues are really important - to US!

[quote name='4cats4me']Uh-oh, yes, I know "that group" Lois. Had the same issues one year all week with "that group." Lol

Hope your cruise was wonderful, otherwise :)[/quote]

Hi Stranger:)...why can't I ever remember if it is Dana or Dina
Now THAT is embarrassing......:o

Yes, the cruise was great. I stepped outside of the box and purchased
the Ultimate Dining Package.....ate Specialty every night.....;)

[quote name='A Sixth?']Maybe listening is a Canadian trait that's missing more and more in many places.

If you are told by the cruise staff to do something, do it.

I have met Lois and like her very much,,,, I'm just saying that I trust the crew's judgement more than the passengers on matters like this... and I have been told "Just come back,, don't line up" by the staff.

Relax.... trust the staff or make a complaint in writing, record it on your phone, start an occupy Pursers Desk" :p[/QUOTE]

I had this same experience on a cruise recently. I stood in a very long line and in order to solve my problem I had to go back to my cabin to get a telephone number. I was told to not stand in line again when I returned so I stood to the side until the guest relations person waved at me to come forward explaining to the others that she had asked me to do so.

[quote name='A Sixth?']Better score that as 1 1/2 because I am cutting some slack.

[/QUOTE]

You're a brave soul :)

I admit to kind of taking a lawyer's view...there are two sides to every story...and suggested that maybe there was a reason...or was it really worth getting upset about, etc. I've obviously been told by the 40+ that I'm wrong....so I welcome the company.

I guess there's lots of built up frustration on this topic. My hat's off to the British who are seemingly born knowing how to queue...and seem to enjoy queuing almost as a social event (based on living there for two years)....and the Canadians as well, based on posts here. As an American, I'm not so sure we queue quite so well, but we're getting better...we haven't quite mastered the etiquette of letting your friends join you in line or not...which is, essentially, line jumping...but let's not go there.

I'm going to go on thinking that the woman who jumped in line might have gone for food for her sick child and on returning found her key didn't work...so she went to guest services for help.....or she was told by a guest services rep, after already having had her card replaced three times during the cruise, that she didn't have to wait in line...just come up to the counter if it happens again.

[quote name='ghstudio']You're a brave soul :)

I admit to kind of taking a lawyer's view...there are two sides to every story...and suggested that maybe there was a reason...or was it really worth getting upset about, etc. I've obviously been told by the 40+ that I'm wrong....so I welcome the company.

I guess there's lots of built up frustration on this topic. My hat's off to the British who are seemingly born knowing how to queue...and seem to enjoy queuing almost as a social event (based on living there for two years)....and the Canadians as well, based on posts here. As an American, I'm not so sure we queue quite so well, but we're getting better...we haven't quite mastered the etiquette of letting your friends join you in line or not...which is, essentially, line jumping...but let's not go there.

I'm going to go on thinking that the woman who jumped in line might have gone for food for her sick child and on returning found her key didn't work...so she went to guest services for help.....or she was told by a guest services rep, after already having had her card replaced three times during the cruise, that she didn't have to wait in line...just come up to the counter if it happens again.[/quote]

You are giving her the benefit of the doubt.......I am not. I will bet
you a dinner there was no sick child involved. She answered me when
I called her out "it will only take a second, I need a new card".......
I saw the situation first hand. She got huffy when I said something.
The only thing sick about it? Her attitude.

[quote name='Ma Bell']I had this same experience on a cruise recently. I stood in a very long line and in order to solve my problem I had to go back to my cabin to get a telephone number. I was told to not stand in line again when I returned so I stood to the side until the guest relations person waved at me to come forward explaining to the others that she had asked me to do so.[/quote]

Hi Joanie:)..you stood to the side, makes sense....and the GR person
probably signaled for you to come up to the desk......

In this case? I know I what I saw and so did the guy standing behind me.
We both were like....omg she just decided to walk up to the desk:eek:
When I got up there, I politely told them, they were wrong and should
have sent that lady to the back of the line. The girl just kind of shrugged.

[quote name='ghstudio']You're a brave soul :)

I admit to kind of taking a lawyer's view...there are two sides to every story...and suggested that maybe there was a reason...or was it really worth getting upset about, etc. I've obviously been told by the 40+ that I'm wrong....so I welcome the company......

......I'm going to go on thinking that the woman who jumped in line might have gone for food for her sick child and on returning found her key didn't work...so she went to guest services for help.....or she was told by a guest services rep, after already having had her card replaced three times during the cruise, that she didn't have to wait in line...just come up to the counter if it happens again.[/QUOTE]

Sick child??.. What part of "it will only take a second, I need a new card" don't you understand? Or perhaps she thought the sick child part wasn't important enough to mention.

The woman's behavior was totally inappropriate....but if this kind of thing happens often (and sadly it sounds as though it does) then Guest Relations really needs to handle it differently. As Lois and others said, Guest Relations should most certainly have politely told the "lady" that they would be happy to help her but had to assist the others before her first. To not say this is only going to ensure this will happen again.

I have wondered the same thing about the lines for Select Dining. At the hostess stand there are two lines...one for those with reservations and one for those without. I have frequently had people without reservations opt for the shorter line which happens to be the one for those with reservations. I have been waiting my turn in the correct line and they walk up and say they don't have a reservation and the hostess seats them before us. I have often wondered why she couldn't say "Oh, I'm sorry sir. As you don't have a reservation I'll need you to wait a moment while I seat the people who were here before you."

But the polite hostess never says that! So I'm following the rules and the rule breaker is being rewarded. What incentive would I have in this situation to follow the rules in future were I raised without manners?

We British are not born knowing how to queue - it is taught to the majority of us by our parents as part of learning good manners. Neither my DH or I would dream of pushing into an existing queue or by-passing it to go straigt to the front. The idea would not enter our heads. However, I believe the majority of Americans are just as 'line' conscious as we are but the same cannot be said for a lot of our European neighbours 😱

If a sick child or similar was involved, as suggested, then the good-mannered thing to do would have been to explain and ask if it would be in order to go straight to the desk. I think it was just a case of some people thinking that their time is more precious than anyone else's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='ghstudio']
.....or she was told by a guest services rep, after already having had her card replaced three times during the cruise, that she didn't have to wait in line...just come up to the counter if it happens again.[/QUOTE]

More likely guest services would have nicely told her for the third time to please remember not to put the Seapass into an evening bag next to a magnetic clasp demagnetizing her Seapass.

(I just bought a couple of evening bags with zippers to solve this problem.)

[quote name='Lois R']Hi Joanie:)..you stood to the side, makes sense....and the GR person
probably signaled for you to come up to the desk......

In this case? I know I what I saw and so did the guy standing behind me.
We both were like....omg she just decided to walk up to the desk:eek:
When I got up there, I politely told them, they were wrong and should
have sent that lady to the back of the line. The girl just kind of shrugged.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I was just pointing out that the person at the desk handled my situation appropriately so no one was upset. Yours was completely wrong and that person was obviously not in line before.

[quote name='dkjretired']Sloop:

GHSTudio is one of the best posters ever on this board, been here for many years, that is just his opinion.[/QUOTE]

It is not only "just his opinion" - he backs it up by his actions. His admitted behavior of cutting in line at the Aqua Spa Cafe because he didn't feel he should wait with the others is against social norm. It, and his opinion that it is OK, should be singled out for how anti-social it is.

My opinion is that he is wrong. Everyone here, "been here for many years" or not, has an equal right to voice an opinion. Long time poster or not, all of our opinions are equally valid. Or none of them are. It can't be one way for some, and another for others. Edited by sloopsailor

Let me start another controversy. DW and I have become experts at "queue avoidance" techniques. Over the years (of which we have spent more then 3 1/2 years on cruise ships) we have noticed that some folks seem to love queues and often go out of their way to spent much of their day on long lines. I sometimes think its a "follow the leader" thing in that they just think they will miss something if they are not on line. So lets take the Guest Relations issue. Yes, there are times (such as when your key does not work) when you just must visit the place at a specific time. But experienced cruisers know that the longest lines at Guest Relations will happen in the afternoon of the last full cruise day (often a day at sea). So we simply avoid going to that place at that time (unless it is imperative). Many visit that last day queue because they do not want their account settled to a credit card...and we think those folks are creating their own problem. And then there are those that will wait in the queue for an hour to complain about not having ice in their cabin! And how about all the folks who queue-up for dinner when they already have an assigned table. On our last Princess Cruise (Ruby) the line stretched across the large foyer for the wine tasting (free for many on the ship) which was being held in the MDR. DW and I seeing the huge queue (15 min before the scheduled event) simply sat down at the nearby International Café and enjoyed some coffee. Once the queue was gone we walked right in, were seated at a table with others who had stood in line for over 20 min, and enjoyed our wine (having been braced with our coffee).

And then there is that awful debarkation morning when everyone is in a hurry. Many want to rush to the closest airport so they can "enjoy" waiting around for many hours (we all know how airports are such wonderful places to wait). Some folks have no choice because they must book and catch an early flight. But many others do have alternatives. For example, we will usually book an early afternoon flight. Then while the queue lovers are working themselves into a frenzy waiting in queues, fighting for an elevator, etc.....we are simply relaxing on the pool deck with our books and a cup of coffee. Then, about 9:30-10:00, when just about everyone is off the ship, we simply grab an elevator (no waiting at this point) to the debarkation deck, walk right off the ship, retrieve our luggage (easy to find at this point), hop in a taxi, and we are off. No queues, no sweating, no tempers flaring, etc.

And how about those who queue-up at 11:30-12:00 for lunch at the Lido? Has anyone noticed how many of the heaviest cruisers are the first to get in a queue for food? So instead of going at noon, why not just wait until 12:30 when there is no queue?

These are just a few examples of queue avoidance. Oh, and we just saw a great example 2 days ago while waiting for a flight in Auckland, NZ. Like many in the airport, we wanted to change our remaining NZ Dollars before leaving the country. The first Travelex exchange point had a huge queue of folks waiting to change their money. We simply walked on by....and stopped at another Travelex counter (about 50 feet along our route) where there were 3 open windows and not a single person waiting (because they all followed the leader to station with the longest queue.

And lastly we relate the longest queue mess we have ever witnessed on Celebrity. About 3 years ago we took a cruise on the Silhouette when more then 1000 cabin keys (issued at embarkation) did not work! This was a major screw-up with most passengers not being able to get into their cabin that embarkation day. There were hundreds in line at Guest Relations to get new (functioning keys) and most were visibly angry (with good cause). In the good queue avoidance tradition we simply found chairs on the pool deck, put our carry-ons under our loungers, read our books, and enjoyed a couple of nice adult beverages. By 3:00 the crew had set-up multiple locations around the ship where they were making new keys. Those that had spent their first 2 hours (or more) of their cruise waiting in queues finally had their keys, and those of us who had practiced queue avoidance simply had to go to one of those extra keying locations (or to Guest Relations) where our wait was less then 10 min. Yes, it was inconvenient not being able to get into our cabin until late in the afternoon, but it was much more inconvenient for those who spent hours waiting in queues.

Hank Edited by Hlitner