bucket list...still haven't heard one word from HAL...

Kjw1856

It has been one week since we disembarked the HAL Veendam in San Diego. I have traveled the world and have never once complained to anyone.. In 50 years, I have never returned a purchase, nor have I EVER sent food back at a restaurant. I am a kindergarten teacher who was included in grandmas plans because she knows I will ensure safe travels. I failed. I could not believe the Veendam staff would do nothing... Grandma had no way to bathe, and all I could muster was a suggestion that they waive the day use fee for her to use the showers in the spa...nothing. We ended up buying adult diapers... A very humbling experience for my 95 yo grandmother. She went I to the hospital upon our return with severe UT infection that had her talking like she was having a stroke... Just brought her home, a week later. I wish the Holland America people could have met and discussed this issue with the fiesty, awnry, tough grandma I remember from 40 years ago... Heck.

Though I am very sorry for your Grandmother's discomfort and health issues. It sounds like poor planning contributed to this? You did not book an accessible cabin? You could not pay to use the spa for showering, yet can afford to cruise?

We did arrange for a "modified" cabin. We also took it upon ourselves to arrange and pay for spa services. We also had to pay the $95 for their portable comode. We just wish they didn't act as if this was the first mistake they've dealt with. Not to mention... not a word from HAL. Except their parting comment "we didn't ruin her life, just made the end a Lil less fun"

I am very sorry about your experience with your 95 year old grandmother but it sounds like very poor planning on your part. It sounds as though you should have booked a handicap cabin with a walk in shower.

All cabins are equipped with toilets so I don't understand how HAL was responsible for her having to use adult diapers.

It sounds like you are understandably upset but your anger is misdirected. I have a 90 year old mother and I know the last place on Earth she belongs is on a cruise ship. In my opinion you should be mad at yourself for not asking the right questions and doing research before taking someone that elderly on a cruise.

I apologise if I sound harsh as I really don't mean to, but reality is sometimes hard to face.

I am very sorry about your experience with your 95 year old grandmother but it sounds like very poor planning on your part. It sounds as though you should have booked a handicap cabin with a walk in shower.

All cabins are equipped with toilets so I don't understand how HAL was responsible for her having to use adult diapers.

It sounds like you are understandably upset but your anger is misdirected. I have a 90 year old mother and I know the last place on Earth she belongs is on a cruise ship. In my opinion you should be mad at yourself for not asking the right questions and doing research before taking someone that elderly on a cruise.

I apologise if I sound harsh as I really don't mean to, but reality is sometimes hard to face.

+1

From reading the first post, it seems that 95 yo grandmother made the plans and included the granddaughter. That's commendable for her at her age, but perhaps OP should have checked her grandmothers planning a little more carefully.

I am sure that grandmother has made changes to her life and home as the years progress. How could she, or indeed you, consider that a cruise ship could (or would be able to) cater for the needs of a 95yo, without special planning?

+1

From reading the first post, it seems that 95 yo grandmother made the plans and included the granddaughter. That's commendable for her at her age, but perhaps OP should have checked her grandmothers planning a little more carefully.

I am sure that grandmother has made changes to her life and home as the years progress. How could she, or indeed you, consider that a cruise ship could (or would be able to) cater for the needs of a 95yo, without special planning?

Exactly! My mother is 88 and I would never dream of taking her on a cruise even though she is still sharp and vibrant. there would be just too many challenges.

Everyone has to take responsibility for themselves. Doesn't sound like Grandma was in shape to even be on a cruiseship.

My husband is only 71, but he suffered a stroke in July 2013. I had a cruise to Alaska booked for August 2014. In April, we were invited to his Sister's for a family gathering. First time I really sat and watched him walk, talk and get around. I kept thinking to myself, there is no way he is going to be able to get through the airport, handle luggage, or even get around on the ship. I cancelled the cruise and took the losses.

While HAL does try to accommodate special needs, it isn't always possible. And the traveler or traveler's family are the ones that should be prepared to handle unknown circumstances.

I do hope your Grandmother has recovered. Illness on vacation is not fun.

It is most unfortunate that your grandmother had this experience. We had a terrible experience on one HAL cruise and if I recall correctly, it took about 4 weeks for us to receive a written response from HAL. Keep in mind though, I did write HAL after the cruise and provided a detailed description of the issues that we experienced while on its ship. Have you followed up with HAL in writing? If not, I suggest that you do so.

What do you mean by "modified" cabin and "Grandma had no way to bathe"? I think you need to be a little more specific or you invite gratuitous responses like above from folks who really don't understand what the problem was.

+ Like

It has been one week since we disembarked the HAL Veendam in San Diego. I have traveled the world and have never once complained to anyone.. In 50 years, I have never returned a purchase, nor have I EVER sent food back at a restaurant. I am a kindergarten teacher who was included in grandmas plans because she knows I will ensure safe travels. I failed. I could not believe the Veendam staff would do nothing... Grandma had no way to bathe, and all I could muster was a suggestion that they waive the day use fee for her to use the showers in the spa...nothing. We ended up buying adult diapers... A very humbling experience for my 95 yo grandmother. She went I to the hospital upon our return with severe UT infection that had her talking like she was having a stroke... Just brought her home, a week later. I wish the Holland America people could have met and discussed this issue with the fiesty, awnry, tough grandma I remember from 40 years ago... Heck.

I think you need to be more specific. Every cabin has a bathroom with a tub and shower. H/C cabins have a shower stall, and some regular cabins have just a shower stall, so they are easy to get in and out of. My DH is partially disabled, and the crew provided a shower seat without our asking on our last 2 cruises. As for the toilet issues - every cabin has one of those too! If you grandmother could not make it to the toilet in time, that is not HAL's fault.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but no cruise line is equipped like a nursing home or a hospital. You must carry the responsibility for the choice you made. From what you have written, there is no way your grandmother should have been on the cruise. Unfortunately, there comes a time in life where some things are beyond us.

Please come back and let us know how HAL responds to your complaints.

First of all I applaud you for trying to give your grandmother a nice vacation. Having cared for my Mom for 11 years I know it is difficult to say the least. That she was still able to go on a cruise at age 95 is amazing.

There are, however, some things I do not understand. If you were assigned an accessible cabin, every one of these have showers on the Veendam. Are "modified" cabins different from "accessible" cabins?

I'm not sure what the mistake was. If you paid for spa services, you should have been able to use the showers.

I'm not a HAL cheerleader, I'm just not getting the full picture.

I'm sorry it didn't work out because I'm sure it was difficult enough to travel with your grandma under normal circumstances and if everything had gone right.

I hope HAL answers you soon with some resolution.

Terri

I'm very interested in disability issues and a strong advocate. But I am like others here in that I'm having a hard time understanding what the problem was. You need to explain it in detail. I wonder if your complaint to HAL was similarly vague.

I think you need to be more specific. Every cabin has a bathroom with a tub and shower. H/C cabins have a shower stall, and some regular cabins have just a shower stall, so they are easy to get in and out of. My DH is partially disabled, and the crew provided a shower seat without our asking on our last 2 cruises. As for the toilet issues - every cabin has one of those too! If you grandmother could not make it to the toilet in time, that is not HAL's fault.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but no cruise line is equipped like a nursing home or a hospital. You must carry the responsibility for the choice you made. From what you have written, there is no way your grandmother should have been on the cruise. Unfortunately, there comes a time in life where some things are beyond us.

Please come back and let us know how HAL responds to your complaints.

I actually don't understand what it is you wanted HAL to do..

I completely agree with both of these responses... As mentioned HAL is not equipped like a Nursing Home, nor should they be, & definitely should not be held responsible for your Grandmother.. Understand that you are upset about your Grandmother, but it is an accompanying member or family's responsibility to advise HAL, before a cruise, if a person might need assistance..

It sounds like you Grandmother booked a cabin with a tub which she was not able to use.. I understand that, because I'm just about 5 ft tall & have had back/hip problems... I can not get into those high European type tubs.. Therefore, I book cabins with showers only.. Why do you believe that HAL should have waived the Spa fee?

If you wrote a letter to HAL about your cruise, you probably will have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for a response.. That is the time it takes most large companies to answer, as they probably will contact the ship first & ask them to respond before answering your complaint..

I'm sorry for your dear Grandmothers problems.. Happy to hear she is on the mend.. However, if you decide to take another cruise, being a teacher, you should understand the importance of preparing & doing your homework!

Edited by serendipity1499

We did arrange for a "modified" cabin. We also took it upon ourselves to arrange and pay for spa services. We also had to pay the $95 for their portable comode. We just wish they didn't act as if this was the first mistake they've dealt with. Not to mention... not a word from HAL. Except their parting comment "we didn't ruin her life, just made the end a Lil less fun"

The parting comment by a HAL employee, is unconscionable & hope that you mentioned in your letter the name of the person who made that insensitive comment!

BTW realize someone else asked, but don't understand what a modified cabin is? If you mean shower only, then HAL was able to assist with your problem.. /SIZE]

The parting comment by a HAL employee, is unconscionable & hope that you mentioned in your letter the name of the person who made that insensitive comment! /SIZE]

I was stunned when I read this. I am hopeful that perhaps in your upset state, you may have misheard or misunderstood the person. If indeed this comment was made, I hope you reported this person and I hope that HAL has taken action. In all my years of cruising, mostly on HAL and Princess, I have never come close to hearing something so rude and inconsiderate said by a ship's employee. Like others here, I am still having trouble understanding what the problem was.

For those who've asked:

A modified Handicapped stateroom is one where a wheelchair will fit through the doorway into the stateroom and there are handrails in the tub. Bare (and I do mean BARE) basics. The bathroom is Usually a couple of inches to step up into, so you cannot roll into it (as I said "Usually.")

A fully Handicapped stateroom is not only wide enough for a wheelchair to fit through the door but also has ramps for the verandah doorway and roll into bathrooms with the toilet (I think the toilets in fully accessible staterooms are a tad higher than regular ones, but cannot remember 100%) and a pull down seat for the shower and drains in the floor for the shower runoff.

I can understand what the OP is intending to say because IF they had a "Modified" Stateroom, her grandmother may have had the step up into the bathroom and it sounds to me as if that was the biggest problem.

I cannot believe anyone would say that the OP and her grandmother should not cruise........ I dare any one to tell Mama Lou not to cruise.

OP, I am sorry that your Grandmother and you went through such a distressing situation. I do hope though that she and you were able to enjoy most of the cruise.

Joanie

Edited by Host Walt
Adjusted font to conform to posting guideleines.

I was on that cruise and I have never been on a cruise with so many elderly people with wheel chairs and walkers. 80% were mariners and a lot of them seemed to be with paired with sons or daughters or other family members.

I do not know how ambulatory your grandmother was when she booked the cruise or when she boarded the cruise but I do know from experience that for people over 90 issues can arise overnight. She needed a shower only or handicapped cabin but with the clientele on the cruise they may have been booked by others. Toileting problems??????Was she in a wheelchair and you were unable to assist with the transfer?????

This is not the feisty, awnry, tough grandma from 40 years ago. This is a woman who is courageous, for sure, and I admire her tenacity but she probably should not have booked this cruise.

Edited by oaktreerb

Omigosh, I missed this bit about the parting comment. If this is truly what was said, then instant dismissal is the only option for that crew member. I hope you got a name of that person, and reported it. But I am really hoping you misheard as I cannot imagine anyone saying such a thing, let alone the very professional members of the HAL crew.

Thanks Joanie,

For the explanation about the modified bathroom.. We had one like that on the Prinsendam..

The OP did not say that her Grandmother was in a wheelchair, so assume that was the reason for not being able to take a shower or step up to use the toilet..

But, also wonder why HAL would be responsible for auto waiving the SPA fee & giving the Psgr. a portable commode free of charge unless that is normal for a Handicapped cabin..

I'm not completely sure about Handicapped facilities, but know the cruise line should be notified in advance... Most wheelchair bound people I know, say they make their reservations almost a year in advance to get needed cabins.. Correct me if I'm wrong..

And as others mentioned, Mama Lou obviously can't be compared to this Psgr.. She was on one of our cruises last year & she is completely capable of cruising alone without assistance, even though she is on a walker now.. However, do admit, the crew loves her & watches out for her.. She said she is still cruising 9months out of the year.. An incredible lady!.

I may be having a dense moment....but please....what is "awnry?"....

I see OP used that word describing the lady her grandmom was 40 years ago. Maybe she meant 'ornery'? If so, that wouldn't necessarily be considered a compliment by some. :)

Perhaps I am wrong and that is not what was meant. :confused:

Edited by sail7seas

Am I wrong here - I thought everyone can use the Spa showers for free. We did this on one cruise when we had my 85 year old Mom with us and she could not use the tub/shower.

Please let me know what the rule is for future reference.

DaveOKC