Choosing NOT to do specialty dining on Oasis?

slfam

Next week will be my first cruise with DH (went on Disney Wonder with a friend in 2010) and we are on a fairly tight budget. I am wondering if the quality of the 'free' food on the Oasis will satisfy us. We are not foodies but do like to eat great food. I wonder if we should be saving our money for excursions and touring rather that specialty dining. I have read that several of the 'for cost' restaurants like 150 are great and don't want to miss them if the quality is a lot better. Anyone think they would be satisfied not doing the specialty restaurants or do you think it is worth the extra cost? (don't know if it makes a difference at any of the restaurants but we do not drink alcohol.)

Next week will be my first cruise with DH (went on Disney Wonder with a friend in 2010) and we are on a fairly tight budget. I am wondering if the quality of the 'free' food on the Oasis will satisfy us. We are not foodies but do like to eat great food. I wonder if we should be saving our money for excursions and touring rather that specialty dining. I have read that several of the 'for cost' restaurants like 150 are great and don't want to miss them if the quality is a lot better. Anyone think they would be satisfied not doing the specialty restaurants or do you think it is worth the extra cost? (don't know if it makes a difference at any of the restaurants but we do not drink alcohol.)

Alcohol is extra everywhere including the specialty restaurants so that wouldn't factor in. The MDR food is very good so don't feel that you have to spend money at a specialty restaurant. We usually go to one specialty restaurant. We have not been to 150 because the menu is too fancy, if you want to call it that, actually my husband is a meat and potatoes guy and doesn't like the menu there. You might be better off saving money for different activities at ports.

Hi slfam,

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The food on the Oasis of the Seas is good in the Main Dining Room. There is a different menu for each night based around a "theme" ingredient, but not really, it's hard to explain.

The link for the 7 night MDR menus are at http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/

Download the PDF from the 3rd choice "Royal Caribbean Main Dining Room Menu". Not sure which menu is offered on which night. There are also some always available items offered every night of the cruise.

I haven't eaten in any of the specialty restaurants and ate all my dinners in the MDR while on Oasis. I've heard the filets are good at Chops Grille. Food is subjective, so I recommend looking at the menus of the specialty restaurants and compare them to the MDR menus. From there decide which is more important, a specialty restaurant or going on a shore excursion if money is really tight.

Not sure if you're looking to eat all dinners at specialty restaurants or just one or two.

Enjoy your cruise on the Oasis of the Seas!

We used the MDR for all of our meals and had the first seating at 6pm. We enjoyed each and every one of our meals. I actually prefer having the same server each night. They get to know what you like quickly and work hard to make sure you have a great dining experience. The second night of the cruise I was not especially thrilled with my meal choice and he quickly whisked it away and replaced it with another choice. He checked every evening to make sure both DH and I liked the food. The head waiter also stopped by our table on several occasions to make sure we were happy with our meals and service. DH frequently asks for two entree selections and the server was happy to bring them.

You can look up the menus for each night for all of the dining areas on the ship on the interactive screens in each elevator lobby. We checked the menus daily and never wanted to eat anywhere else. There was always something on the menu that we liked or wanted to try. They also have 3 appetizers (shrimp cocktail, esgargot, and caeser salad) 5 entrees (a steak, marinated chicken, and 3 others I don't remember), and 3 deserts (which I don't remember what they are at all since I didn't order any of them) that remain on the menu for all the nights of the cruise.

From the first night when DH asked for Coffee with Baileys and I asked for hot decaf tea with desert, they automatically brought it out for us every night after. I only drink water with dinner ( I love the water on the ship) so the server and his assistant constantly came by to fill my water glass. It never even got below halfway. He would package up desert for us to take if we didn't want to eat it after the meal (sometimes we were too full but didn't want to miss desert)

The only specialty dining venue we did go to was Izumi (which did not have its menu listed on the screens) because DH wanted some sushi. They open at 5:30, so we went there when they opened, sat at the bar, watched them make the sushi, and then went to dinner. ( I don't like sushi but I did eat some made with tempora shrimp in it and it was delicious) We were about 10 minutes late to dinner but it was no problem and the server had our dinner out to us in no time.

I am sure you will find many tempting choices from the MDR menu. One of the gentlemen at the table next to us went crazy for the lamb that was served, asked for a second plate of it and got it, and asked if he could have it the next night ( the chef sent his regrets that it wasn't available the next night but lamb was offered again later in the week). The prime rib was excellent. DH ordered the scallops every time they were offered (apps and/or entrees) and he loved them. The chicken marsala was also delicious. (oh no I'm getting hungry!!)

Enjoy your cruise. Order something you've never had for dinner. Take some of the great excursions they offer and don't worry about using the free dining option. Don't miss the Dog House on the boardwalk or the Park Cafe in Central Park, also free dining options. We ate several of the hot dogs (GOOD!!) and roast beef sandwiches (YUMMY!!!) for our lunches. The Park Cafe also makes absolutley awesome salads and paninis too. We used the Windjammer only on day 1 for lunch and the last day for breakfast but they offer almost the same thing as the dining room for dinner.

Have a great time, wish I was there again!!

Thank you both very much! A couple of follow-up questions... First is there a lobster night on board? I am doubting it but really hoping... :) Second, are ALL of the restaurants (free as well as specialty) all you can eat type? DH may want to try every dessert on the menu! LOL!

Thank you both very much! A couple of follow-up questions... First is there a lobster night on board? I am doubting it but really hoping... :) Second, are ALL of the restaurants (free as well as specialty) all you can eat type? DH may want to try every dessert on the menu! LOL!

Windjammer has all kinds of deserts and your husband can indulge pretty much all day long. In MDR, they normally have 2-3 desserts to choose from but your server will certainly bring you seconds or thirds.

There are some changes in dining on the Oasis and I believe Grande will be serving lobster every night. This will go into effect in March. Next week, you should still get lobster second formal night. Your server will also give you a second lobster if you like. ;)

The specialty restaurants are not all you can eat. The servers may bring you an extra dessert if asked.

Edited by nednrom

We used the MDR for all of our meals and had the first seating at 6pm. We enjoyed each and every one of our meals. I actually prefer having the same server each night. They get to know what you like quickly and work hard to make sure you have a great dining experience. The second night of the cruise I was not especially thrilled with my meal choice and he quickly whisked it away and replaced it with another choice. He checked every evening to make sure both DH and I liked the food. The head waiter also stopped by our table on several occasions to make sure we were happy with our meals and service. DH frequently asks for two entree selections and the server was happy to bring them.

You can look up the menus for each night for all of the dining areas on the ship on the interactive screens in each elevator lobby. We checked the menus daily and never wanted to eat anywhere else. There was always something on the menu that we liked or wanted to try. They also have 3 appetizers (shrimp cocktail, esgargot, and caeser salad) 5 entrees (a steak, marinated chicken, and 3 others I don't remember), and 3 deserts (which I don't remember what they are at all since I didn't order any of them) that remain on the menu for all the nights of the cruise.

From the first night when DH asked for Coffee with Baileys and I asked for hot decaf tea with desert, they automatically brought it out for us every night after. I only drink water with dinner ( I love the water on the ship) so the server and his assistant constantly came by to fill my water glass. It never even got below halfway. He would package up desert for us to take if we didn't want to eat it after the meal (sometimes we were too full but didn't want to miss desert)

The only specialty dining venue we did go to was Izumi (which did not have its menu listed on the screens) because DH wanted some sushi. They open at 5:30, so we went there when they opened, sat at the bar, watched them make the sushi, and then went to dinner. ( I don't like sushi but I did eat some made with tempora shrimp in it and it was delicious) We were about 10 minutes late to dinner but it was no problem and the server had our dinner out to us in no time.

I am sure you will find many tempting choices from the MDR menu. One of the gentlemen at the table next to us went crazy for the lamb that was served, asked for a second plate of it and got it, and asked if he could have it the next night ( the chef sent his regrets that it wasn't available the next night but lamb was offered again later in the week). The prime rib was excellent. DH ordered the scallops every time they were offered (apps and/or entrees) and he loved them. The chicken marsala was also delicious. (oh no I'm getting hungry!!)

Enjoy your cruise. Order something you've never had for dinner. Take some of the great excursions they offer and don't worry about using the free dining option. Don't miss the Dog House on the boardwalk or the Park Cafe in Central Park, also free dining options. We ate several of the hot dogs (GOOD!!) and roast beef sandwiches (YUMMY!!!) for our lunches. The Park Cafe also makes absolutley awesome salads and paninis too. We used the Windjammer only on day 1 for lunch and the last day for breakfast but they offer almost the same thing as the dining room for dinner.

Have a great time, wish I was there again!!

Knewcrewzr, do you have the new menu for Izumi? We're thinking of going there for sushi too in January. I also wanted to see what they had on the hibachi side.

The food on Oasis in the MDR is really good. No need to book specialty restaurants. In case you want to try one, I would recommend Giovanni's Table. The price is reasonable and their Ossobucco is to die for! If the weather is good, you can even sit outside and enjoy the lovely atmosphere in the Central Park.

We managed with the included places on the 12n TA for the evening and did

a lunch in Sabor but would not bother next time.

Don't forget to check out Solarium bistro and Rockets for a breakfast change.

The Central park cafe has some different options, the beef and gravy sandwich is really good for a lunch.

Hot dog stand for a snack

I usually take in a steak restaurant on a ship but there was enough beef of good enough quality not to bother.

Izumi was closed on the TA but would probably have done that.

Knewcrewzr, do you have the new menu for Izumi? We're thinking of going there for sushi too in January. I also wanted to see what they had on the hibachi side.

We actually went to Izumi and looked at their menu since it was unavailable on the posted interactive boards around the ship. DH liked what he saw and decided to return the next day for appetizers before going to the MDR for dinner. Search around the RCCL website and there is an option to print a menu for Izumi but I don't think it shows all the selections.

Enjoy your cruise!

As you are cruising g next week, yes there is a lobster night in the main dining room, included in your fare. It is the second formal night, and yes you can have everything several lobster tails. My girl friend had about four the last time she was onboard.

Thr main dining room food has always been very good on Oasis. And yes, you can eat as much as you want for any meal. There are a choice of several appetizers, salads, soups and mains - and you can have as many of each as you like. Dessert sees around four to five options, along with the four or five always available such as creme brulee, chocolate cake, etc. There are also many included dining venues it's available throughout the day that are essentially all you can eat also including Windjammer buffet, Wipe Out Cafe (burgers, hot dogs, fries, pizza, etc), Sorrentos (pizzas both pre-made and made to order), Cafe Promenade (light bites, small sandwiches and sweet treats), Park Cafe (made to order salads, sandwich selections, etc) DogHouse (various higher end hot dog and sausage options). For breakfast, add in Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets, and wipe out Cafe. For lunch, Solarium Bistro and the foods at the Vitality Cafe is also included...plus room service, which is included in your fare (from midnight to 5pm, there is a small surcharge)

You will not go hungry or be lacking for delicious options if you choose to stick to the included food venues on Oasis. The food is great and you Have numerous options.

If you do decide to try a specialty restaurant for lunch or dinner, you'll Have a lovely time, I'm sure. But totally Unnecessary.

And, you can decide if you want to try a specialty once onboard....you don't need to make reservations this far in advance.....if you find you want a change from the MDR, then head to the restaurant you want (or call on your cabin phone) and reserve a time for that evening!

In 25+ cruises we have never ate at a "Pay" restaurant on any ship. We'd rather spend our money elsewhere!

Have an awesome cruise !!!

Anyone think they would be satisfied not doing the specialty restaurants

Than would be us. Heck-we're happy in the WJ for dinner.:o If you're not a big 'foodie' as they say I'm sure you'd be happy with what is included venues.

We were on The Oasis last week. We ate every night in The MDR and we had great food and service. We did MTD and contrary to the beliefs of some we had the same Wait Team every night and 5 out of 7 nights the same table mates. Lobster night was 2nd Formal Night Thusday. They offered us more Lobster Tails but by Thursday I was already stuffed from all the great food from the other 5 days. 😎

IMO a lot of the times when you see people saying that the quality of food has gone down, they are people who have a more extensive cruising history and probably have lots of memories in their heads of other cruises in what tends to be rose-colored glasses. We eat out more than we should shore-side and were perfectly happy with the various included options. We would check out the MDR menu at some point during the day (it's posted in advance) and the one or two nights one of us just wasn't into it, we found something else. You won't go hungry, I promise. Just roll with it :)

Am I correct in the understanding that once dynamic dining begins (March 14 - our sailing!) there will not be a main dining room?

Correct, the MDR will be split into three different venues with different menus.

Am I correct in the understanding that once dynamic dining begins (March 14 - our sailing!) there will not be a main dining room?

Each level of the Main Dinning Room has a new name. Deck 3 is now American Icon, Deck 4 is now The Grande and Deck 5 is Silk. Starting in March Dynamic Dinning will start and these will be the no extra charge Resturants for Dynamic Dinning. American Icon & Silk will be casual every night and The Grande will be semi-formal every night.

The only way is to try it and see if you like it. I've never had bad food in the MDR at all. One or two things I didn't like, but it wasn't that the food was bad or low quality, just something not to my taste. The majority of cruisers eat in the MDR; the amount that go to specialty is a relatively small fraction. You don't need to feel like you are missing out by not going for a pay place. Order multiple items, make a big feast, try new things. You won't be disappointed.

Lots of mention of Lobster, be bewared, it can but cooked poorly, some times tuff as a tennis ball, if it happens please send it back and ask for another tail or tails until they get it right or you give up.

Lots of mention of Lobster, be bewared, it can but cooked poorly, some times tuff as a tennis ball, if it happens please send it back and ask for another tail or tails until they get it right or you give up.

I can honestly say that I never tried eating a tennis ball!:rolleyes:

The lobster you will get on the ship is more like Red Lobsters lobster then you may get from a fine resturant paying a very high price for.

Seriously everyone - thanks so much for all of the tips and comments. I have looked at the menus and it all looks so good that I am sure I will be happy with eating in the MDR. I can't believe I am leaving in a few days! After 25 years of marriage dh and I are finally going on our first cruise to celebrate our anniversary and this sounds like a great ship to do it on! :)