Eclipse Review - 11/9/14. PLUS!

howndder

I have just returned from my 14 day crossing from Southampton to Miami on the "SS Minow". Before I write my own review about our ill fated voyage, I would like to introduce another couple of the "CAST", that experienced their own kind of disappointment. I ask you to please sit back and hear their tale of woe, through me.

"A SET OF CURIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES"

Since I ate at the Oceanview Café most evenings, I was able to meet some interesting people. I was happy to meet "LIZ and STU". They're retired police officers from a small town outside of Glasgow, Scotland. They had been dreaming of this cruise for a very long time.

They had never been to New York and asked me about diners in NYC. (Yes, they asked about diners in NYC), since I lived there for many years, I gave them my info and I left them to their day. I wasn't in any hurry to get off as I was meeting family at 6:30PM for dinner so, I went to my cabin and read.

I had no idea that it took them 6 hours to get off this ship and go through Immigrations. It seems that there were not enough US Customs agents available at that time. I'm sorry? 3,000 people and 2,000 are non US citizens. What was Celebrity thinking. Their day was completely ruined as was just about everyone else's on board. (I had no idea) .

Then they're next place of paradise, "BERMUDA", was totally cancelled. They were heart-broken. But, at the end of the cruise they were booked for a 1 week stay on a house boat on one of the Isles smack against "Los Olas Blvd.". I told them that they had a most perfect area they had. We spoke throughout the cruise and on Saturday I looked for them to say goodbye and give directions to Los Olas Blvd, needless to say, I never saw them. Since I had top status for departure I left early and never saw them, before getting off the ship. Later that day, I met a friend for lunch and decided I would check in on them to see if they got in okay. I only live a few miles away from that address.

When I arrived at their address, they had just arrived at 1:45PM??? Another problem with departure and all these non-citizens and probably the "Ebola" scare. They're taxi driver had just dropped them off, and left them. I saw "Liz", just standing there and "Stu", was no where to be seen. I went out back and discovered that there was no sign of the house boat or anything that looked like one. Stu was quite overcome. We eventually checked her printouts and called the lady who was local. (Since LIZ is almost completely deaf and Stu had left the building, I took over). "She" advised us that she had not renewed the lease on the Slip and the rental agent had had it towed to a place at least 5 miles north of Los Olas Blvd. It was totally unacceptable and they couldn't accept because they had no car, and they would be totally stranded. Plus, they're phone is registered in Scotland, etc.

The Rental Agent promised full refunds. I promised them I would find them a great new offer and took them all around the area and settled them into "The Riverside Hotel", smack dab on Los Olas Blvd. Right in the middle of it all. They loved it and are now ensconced there, even as we speak.

Now, my review.

First, I want to say that I recommend Celebrity Cruise Lines unecquivickably. I think they give me the most bang for the buck. My problem is that they charge me double for single occupancy. Not even 10 or 20% off. If they had done something like that, given me a discount, I would not be having this conversation with you. I don't want to share my cabin with anyone, thank you very much. Give me something, Please! If I had a roommate that I had paid for, which I do, they would also have the same perks. So, why can't I have, "HIS"?

The FOOD, Oh, how should I put this? Poor. That's how. Everything was cut too thin and therefore unable to be juicy. I won't even guess what was in the hamburger. Yuck. You know Celebrity? You charge a fortune for just about everything else, like drinks ($14.00 for a martini) :eek: , don't you think we deserve a break somewhere???

I must say, "Holland America" has, on the buffet, whatever is being served in the main dining room. Celebrity could learn something from this.

I was thrilled with the "Sky Lounge", being so popular, at cocktail hour, but I'm looking for some exclusivity. It would have been nicer if that had been an "Elite Plus" private room. You dilute the product, Celebrity. I expect better. So should everyone else.

I was overwhelmed at the thought that so many visitors to our country were made to go through hoops to get admitted. I'm ashamed. We should do better than that.

Of course, Celebrity does not have control of the weather. What could they do? I think that a "Terrible set of Circumstances", came together and created a total mess for everyone. Mostly the worst for Liz and Stu. I'm seeing them for lunch tomorrow and as of now are having a good time.

I will be glad to answer any question about this trip. I loved meeting so many interesting people. I love sea days and never get sea-sick, but I will never take this route again. Give me the southerly west and for that matter, east coast crossings.

Howard in another beautiful day in Fort Lauderdale.

I have just returned from my 14 day crossing from Southampton to Miami on the "SS Minow". Before I write my own review about our ill fated voyage, I would like to introduce another couple of the "CAST", that experienced their own kind of disappointment. I ask you to please sit back and hear their tale of woe, through me.

"A SET OF CURIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES"

Since I ate at the Oceanview Café most evenings, I was able to meet some interesting people. I was happy to meet "LIZ and STU". They're retired police officers from a small town outside of Glasgow, Scotland. They had been dreaming of this cruise for a very long time.

They had never been to New York and asked me about diners in NYC. (Yes, they asked about diners in NYC), since I lived there for many years, I gave them my info and I left them to their day. I wasn't in any hurry to get off as I was meeting family at 6:30PM for dinner so, I went to my cabin and read.

I had no idea that it took them 6 hours to get off this ship and go through Immigrations. It seems that there were not enough US Customs agents available at that time. I'm sorry? 3,000 people and 2,000 are non US citizens. What was Celebrity thinking. Their day was completely ruined as was just about everyone else's on board. (I had no idea) .

Then they're next place of paradise, "BERMUDA", was totally cancelled. They were heart-broken. But, at the end of the cruise they were booked for a 1 week stay on a house boat on one of the Isles smack against "Los Olas Blvd.". I told them that they had a most perfect area they had. We spoke throughout the cruise and on Saturday I looked for them to say goodbye and give directions to Los Olas Blvd, needless to say, I never saw them. Since I had top status for departure I left early and never saw them, before getting off the ship. Later that day, I met a friend for lunch and decided I would check in on them to see if they got in okay. I only live a few miles away from that address.

When I arrived at their address, they had just arrived at 1:45PM??? Another problem with departure and all these non-citizens and probably the "Ebola" scare. They're taxi driver had just dropped them off, and left them. I saw "Liz", just standing there and "Stu", was no where to be seen. I went out back and discovered that there was no sign of the house boat or anything that looked like one. Stu was quite overcome. We eventually checked her printouts and called the lady who was local. (Since LIZ is almost completely deaf and Stu had left the building, I took over). "She" advised us that she had not renewed the lease on the Slip and the rental agent had had it towed to a place at least 5 miles north of Los Olas Blvd. It was totally unacceptable and they couldn't accept because they had no car, and they would be totally stranded. Plus, they're phone is registered in Scotland, etc.

The Rental Agent promised full refunds. I promised them I would find them a great new offer and took them all around the area and settled them into "The Riverside Hotel", smack dab on Los Olas Blvd. Right in the middle of it all. They loved it and are now ensconced there, even as we speak.

Now, my review.

First, I want to say that I recommend Celebrity Cruise Lines unecquivickably. I think they give me the most bang for the buck. My problem is that they charge me double for single occupancy. Not even 10 or 20% off. If they had done something like that, given me a discount, I would not be having this conversation with you. I don't want to share my cabin with anyone, thank you very much. Give me something, Please! If I had a roommate that I had paid for, which I do, they would also have the same perks. So, why can't I have, "HIS"?

The FOOD, Oh, how should I put this? Poor. That's how. Everything was cut too thin and therefore unable to be juicy. I won't even guess what was in the hamburger. Yuck. You know Celebrity? You charge a fortune for just about everything else, like drinks ($14.00 for a martini) :eek: , don't you think we deserve a break somewhere???

I must say, "Holland America" has, on the buffet, whatever is being served in the main dining room. Celebrity could learn something from this.

I was thrilled with the "Sky Lounge", being so popular, at cocktail hour, but I'm looking for some exclusivity. It would have been nicer if that had been an "Elite Plus" private room. You dilute the product, Celebrity. I expect better. So should everyone else.

I was overwhelmed at the thought that so many visitors to our country were made to go through hoops to get admitted. I'm ashamed. We should do better than that.

Of course, Celebrity does not have control of the weather. What could they do? I think that a "Terrible set of Circumstances", came together and created a total mess for everyone. Mostly the worst for Liz and Stu. I'm seeing them for lunch tomorrow and as of now are having a good time.

I will be glad to answer any question about this trip. I loved meeting so many interesting people. I love sea days and never get sea-sick, but I will never take this route again. Give me the southerly west and for that matter, east coast crossings.

Howard in another beautiful day in Fort Lauderdale.

Why didn't you eat in the dining room?? Of course the food in the cafe' is pretty boring. It's mainly for those who are unwilling to follow dresscodes, or there to grab a quick meal. We'll only eat there before an excursion or to grab a quick bite. We found the food to be standard buffett stuff. We have a catering company & it was the stuff you'd serve to a more low end client. We found the dining room to have excellent food overall. This was this past January. Murano & Qsine were both outstanding. We'll be on again this upcoming January for another 2 week trip.

Gosh, how sad that you had a bad experience with the food. We sail the Eclipse every winter. We only eat at the buffet (rarely) for lunch. The meals we have had, on the Eclipse have always been excellent, so much so, that last year we ate in Blu and as much as the food there is very good, we felt the MDR was just as good. This year we will be on the Eclipse for the whole month of Feb. and are very much looking forward to their cuisine again.

Also it was very nice of you to help out your new friends - I am sure they appreciate your concern in showing them the best of the people in Lauderdale!

I always say there is a special place in heaven for kind hearted people.

Celebrity? It has the US Customs.

"I was thrilled with the "Sky Lounge", being so popular, at cocktail hour, but I'm looking for some exclusivity. It would have been nicer if that had been an "Elite Plus" private room. You dilute the product, Celebrity. I expect better. So should everyone else."

It look me a very long time to reach elite status. The one thing I enjoy most is the nice lounge with passed nibbles. I would not be happy if they did what you are suggesting. I also expect better and I expect to not have something taken away that was given to me as a reward for my loyalty. If you reach Zenith, you can have the more exclusive private room. :rolleyes:

We very nearly booked the Eclipse, but at the last minute changed our mind and booked Silhouette. Looks like we made a very good choice. We followed the progress of Eclipse while we were on Silhouette and felt very sorry for the NY immigration debacle and the missed port of Bermuda. Ours was an amazing cruise. Thank you for your review. You sound like a very kind and thoughtful person.

"The FOOD, Oh, how should I put this? Poor. That's how. Everything was cut too thin and therefore unable to be juicy. I won't even guess what was in the hamburger. Yuck. You know Celebrity? You charge a fortune for just about everything else, like drinks ($14.00 for a martini) , don't you think we deserve a break somewhere???"

We were on this cruise also and found the food in the main dining room to be excellent, probably the best we've had on a Celebrity cruise. Those of you with upcoming cruises on Eclipse should not be worried about the food in the main dining room.

I'm booked on the TA next November. Interestingly the cruise stops in Boston the day before NYC so customs will be cleared there, hopefully meaning it won't take long to get off in NYC.

I do wonder whether I write off the day in Boston though. :confused:

I'm booked on the TA next November. Interestingly the cruise stops in Boston the day before NYC so customs will be cleared there, hopefully meaning it won't take long to get off in NYC.

Honestly, the immigration thing was the luck of the draw...difficult for some, a breeze for others.

We were at the head of the line to get our "tickets" (think tender tickets) and once the ship cleared were off and through immigration in about 5 minutes. The longest process was walking through the terminal.

I know people had problems but it definitely was not universal.

"The FOOD, Oh, how should I put this? Poor. That's how. Everything was cut too thin and therefore unable to be juicy. I won't even guess what was in the hamburger. Yuck. You know Celebrity? You charge a fortune for just about everything else, like drinks ($14.00 for a martini) , don't you think we deserve a break somewhere???"

We were on this cruise also and found the food in the main dining room to be excellent, probably the best we've had on a Celebrity cruise. Those of you with upcoming cruises on Eclipse should not be worried about the food in the main dining room.

Trust me!! We look forward to the same excellent cuisine that we had last Jan.The Ocean view Cafe' buffet(like pretty much any cruiseline buffet)is going to be pretty standard type food. Not terrible, but not memorable, either. The curry dishes, however were quite good. I did notice, that if you got there early(before the rush) the food was much better. It hadn't had the chance to get overdone in the heating trays.

If you've not been to Boston,it's worth a visit. We live in Southern NH, about 40 miles or so out of the city.If they have a tour of the Museum of Fine Arts, I highly recommend doing the tour.

if past history has taught all of us something...you indeed should.

Sequestration has impacted C&BP staffing levels everywhere. Without sarcasm, I see no reason why a 3200 guests ship arriving from half a year in Europe and needing all the TSA/C&BP/etc.etc .. usual process would have an easier time of it ,be it Boston ,NewYork,PortCanaveral ,Miami,Everglades, or wherever.

Cheers

if past history has taught all of us something...you indeed should.

Sequestration has impacted C&BP staffing levels everywhere. Without sarcasm, I see no reason why a 3200 guests ship arriving from half a year in Europe and needing all the TSA/C&BP/etc.etc .. usual process would have an easier time of it ,be it Boston ,NewYork,PortCanaveral ,Miami,Everglades, or wherever.

Cheers

I case you folks aren't aware of this Celebrity, can pay for as many extra C&BP agents that it want's to.

Passengers with US passports had a (relatively) easy time of it. But they were a small minority. Non US passengers found the lines long. And if you didn't want to go to NYC and just wanted to stay on the ship all day you ended up waiting for a long time in the draughty terminal

Can you be more specific re the Americans' experience and how things were handled? (I ask because we are booked on this TA next fall. We are U.S. citizens.)

I am sorry for the hassles that everyone endured, regardless of what country they hail from.

While standing in the long back and forth lines in the terminal, someone was walking through saying "US passports come over here". They lifted the ropes and let those people out to join a shorter line. Why the didn't separate out the US people before entering the back and forths was inexplicable, but in any case, those few people were allowed to exit the long queue and go to a much shorter one. It probably saved 15-30 minutes

US/Canadian passengers did not leave the ship any earlier than anyone else, but did get a small advantage once they were in line within the terminal, if they heard the person asking for them and were able to leave the line. Many didn't hear that announcement and stayed in the long lines.

The "plan" if once can call it that, was for those with Celebrity shore excursions to leave the ship and enter the terminal to go through Immigration first, followed by those with the lowest number exit tickets (they went from 1-35). There were no special tickets for US/Canadians.

The first few people who went through Immigration spent no time in the lines. But then it started to slow down. The line lengthened, and they stopped calling any numbers to let the backlog through.

The funniest (!) was when they started letting the US/Canadians into the shorter lines. When I went through there were 10 stations open. The group was split into two, with half lining up for station 1,2,3, 4 and half for 7, 8, 9, 10. Stations 5 & 6, in the center were for US/Canadian. But then, one or more of the stations 7,8,9,10 began going more slowly, or maybe one closed down, so they began calling people from there to move over to 1,2,3,4 which meant crossing the existing lines for 5 & 6. I can't begin to tell you how mixed up that was.

I was in line for about 15 minutes before being pulled out to go to station 5, then another 15 minutes to get to the front of that line.

As someone put it earlier, the entire process was excruciatingly slow.

I don't know if anyone will ever know exactly what the problems were: inadequate agents (whether requested and paid for by Celebrity or not), bad planning or whatever, but they did let everyone know in advance that it could take up to 5 hours, and about 5 hours start to finish it was.

I don't know if anyone will ever know exactly what the problems were: inadequate agents (whether requested and paid for by Celebrity or not), bad planning or whatever, but they did let everyone know in advance that it could take up to 5 hours, and about 5 hours start to finish it was.

Talking to people the time I was given for the final "0" count was 4pm so about 6 hours

the highest number I saw was 38.

Lucky for me I got number 4 and was in times square for about 11am

but I felt so sorry of the last ones off and think it could have been planned so much better.

This said, if we had made it to Bermuda we would have had to do it again in Florida