New Celebrity Check in and Boarding Policy "Disaster"

Travel Hunter

his is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on November 29, 2014, onboard Celebrity Reflection. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive to the terminal based on your assigned decks. 12:00 to 12:30 PM = Deck 14, Deck 12, & Deck 11; 12:30 to 1:00 PM = Deck 10; 1:00 to 1:30 PM = Deck 9; 1:30 to 2:00 PM = Deck 8; 2:00 to 2:30 PM = Deck 7; 2:30 to 3:00 PM = Deck 6 & Deck 3. We invite our Suites and Zenith guests to arrive anytime between 11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Reflection.

I received this text four days before the cruise was about to begin. I already have booked airfare and ground transportation and will arrive at the port at 11:30. I cant change these arrangements. I paid for a concierge balcony cabin on deck 8 which means I will have to sit around at the port for three hours. There is no mention of the captains club elite benefit which is advertised as getting priority boarding. This tactic is advertised as making boarding more organized but is most likely a ploy to get future cruisers to pay more for the upper balconies

Has anyone else experienced this, do they honor elite benefits

calm down, take a deep breath, it isn't a disaster. Follow through with your original plan. They are asking you to show up at your time, not requiring it. There will still be Elite check in lines, all they are trying to do is keep everyone from coming all at the same moment. It isn't a ploy to get you to book certain cabins, it's just an effort to spread the boarding process out. Sounds like you need a vacation!

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on November 29, 2014, onboard Celebrity Reflection. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive to the terminal based on your assigned decks. 12:00 to 12:30 PM = Deck 14, Deck 12, & Deck 11; 12:30 to 1:00 PM = Deck 10; 1:00 to 1:30 PM = Deck 9; 1:30 to 2:00 PM = Deck 8; 2:00 to 2:30 PM = Deck 7; 2:30 to 3:00 PM = Deck 6 & Deck 3. We invite our Suites and Zenith guests to arrive anytime between 11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Reflection.

I received this text four days before the cruise was about to begin. I already have booked airfare and ground transportation and will arrive at the port at 11:30. I cant change these arrangements. I paid for a concierge balcony cabin on deck 8 which means I will have to sit around at the port for three hours. There is no mention of the captains club elite benefit which is advertised as getting priority boarding. This tactic is advertised as making boarding more organized but is most likely a ploy to get future cruisers to pay more for the upper balconies

You will not have to sit there for hours, just go when you planned. This is to just make things more orderly overall. Just as an FYI, priority boarding in a concierge cabin only means a separate line at the pier, nothing else.

There is no mention of the captains club elite benefit which is advertised as getting priority boarding. This tactic is advertised as making boarding more organized but is most likely a ploy to get future cruisers to pay more for the upper balconies

Yes. In your cruise documents it will say:

Suite Guests and our Captain Club Members can check-in and board anytime at their convenience between the hours of 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM.

This also applies for any guests who have purchased Flights and/or Transfers through Celebrity Cruises International

Yes. In your cruise documents it will say:

Actually several people have reported back that Elites are not always included in the early boarding times, probably depends on how many are on board on any given cruise.

Also, suggestion to the hosts, perhaps you should make this topic a sticky as we seem to be getting several threads started every week since this procedure started.

The purpose of the note is to try to space out arrivals rather than having everyone arrive to check in at the same time. It sounds official, but it's really just a request/suggestion, if you will. Celebrity provides transfers from the airport to check in...folks arrive when they arrive...the buses take them to the pier when they are full...and they check in...they don't have to sit there for three hours just because their deck hasn't been called.

If you lived in the miami/FLL area, then delay your arrival...if you are flying in, just do what you planned to do....and you'll have no problems at all.

I recently purchase air from Celebrity for the TA on Reflection in October 2015.

The arranged flight ( by Celebrity) arrives in Rome at 11.00. I then have a Celebrity transfer arranged, so we should arrive at the port between 1-2pm.

Celebrity have arranged this in accordance with available flights, not when my deck is available for boarding.

Far from being a disaster.

We had to wait three hours to check in for Infinity in Buenos Aires. due to two other ships boarding first. Had to stand around for an hour. Once we got seats, just pulled out the paperback and waited until called.

This is a part of travel.

A disaster is when the propulsion on the ship goes out or the ship sinks due to a careless Captain's navigation.

Relax, as concierge you have right for priority boarding...

May I make a suggestion:

Prepare for the worst: bring a good book or IPAD in case you have to wait

Hope for the best: likely you will be able to board without delay.

The more you worry about it, the more it will upset you and ruin what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

Worst case is you have to sit for a couple hours. Not really a "disaster"

Edited by Nachosdelux

Sailed Reflection 11/8. Received the same email. It was not a disaster.

A disaster? Nope, not even close. A natural disaster? Hurricanes

Katrina, Sandy, etc......

A man made disaster? The Captain of the Concordia, 9/11, or Sandy

Hook.

Disaster would not be the word I would use and boarding went very

smoothly.

On our 10 November 2014 boarding of Equinox the only priority lines were for Suites, Zenith and handicapped in wheelchairs. All others were boarded by Deck assignment. There were several handicapped in line with us for deck 8 who had a cane and difficulty standing. My wife uses a cane and cannot stand for long times without some pain. This was for a cruise after the TA where we were told to arrive late due to multiple government inspections.

Is not having Captain's Club Priority Boarding a new norm at Port Everglades? We were on Connie earlier this year and there was priority boarding.

Not sure why they are doing this at the Port of Miami. Ironically, I just took a look at that Nov 29 cruise and they are practically giving the thing away. Inside cabins are now as low as $299 (plus fees) and even balconies are as low as $449 (+ fees). Makes me think this particular cruise has plenty of empty cabins.

Hank

Not sure why they are doing this at the Port of Miami. Ironically, I just took a look at that Nov 29 cruise and they are practically giving the thing away. Inside cabins are now as low as $299 (plus fees) and even balconies are as low as $449 (+ fees). Makes me think this particular cruise has plenty of empty cabins.

Hank

The ship is just about sold out and they are just selling off the few remaining cabins.

POM is very busy on the 29th with 6 ships debarking and embarking pax at the same time. Going to be a busy Saturday:eek:

Actually several people have reported back that Elites are not always included in the early boarding times, probably depends on how many are on board on any given cruise.

Also, suggestion to the hosts, perhaps you should make this topic a sticky as we seem to be getting several threads started every week since this procedure started.

Agreed

I too think this should be made a STICKY

I see this is going to be almost a daily issue now for the rest of the Caribbean Season

And 2 points should be made:

1- It is a Request (not a Rule) as the wording states:

To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive to the terminal based on your assigned decks.

2- That it is clarified that as per Celebrity's Website List of Perks, they do not offer Priority Boarding... Just Priority Check In.

You get aboard WHEN the ship is ready, and Celebrity says so, not necessarily dependent on what Class you have booked

Sometimes they just open the gang plank... At other times they load as first arrived, and sometimes they call out Decks or Classes.

Their choice, based on what they determine will work best on any given day or time

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I spoke to celebrity their response was you will have to wait Elite or not. I also spoke to a supervisor with the same response

Again I think this is terrible, short notice and waiting for three hours

This sounds like what happened back about 20 years ago when the airlines moved from a board when ready to a board by seat row policy. When the first class pasengers finally were permitted to board, all the overhead bins were filled with stuff brought on by coach passengers.

Then the rocket scientists figured out they should let the first class passengers to board whenever they wanted. The folks with seats near the front of coach lost stowage space and were unhappy.

So the rocket scientists offered early boarding to their high status mileage program members. That caused problems with the high status folks who were traveling with family who had no frequent flier status.

So the rocket scientists said it was OK for those traveling with high status passengers could board early.

So the boarding process was so full of exceptions that the effort to go with a sequential boarding procedure resulted in a much less efficient procedure than the original board at will procedure.

Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, Celebrity decided to embark on a boarding procedure that looked good on paper but had not been researched and tested properly.

The ill will they are creating by doing this is totally unnecessary, especially because most, if not all, cruisers are anticipating a relaxing and enjoyable experience that starts when the cruisers see their ship in port up close for the first time. Forcing them to sit and wait in a sparse and amenity starved waiting area for an hour or more is a really lousy way for anyone to start a cruise.

A bad taste at the beginning can cause the entire cruise experience to be compromised.

Hank

There's only 15 cabins left. There are very few left in each category and nothing above a veranda. Better for Celebrity to sell them cheap at the last minute than to have them sold to employees at $10/day or something like that