Time to sell stock?

I have 92 shares of Royal stock that I bought back when it was under$10 a share. Its now over $70 so I am tempted to sell it and bank my money. Does the stock have a history of splitting though? I did it for fun, and made a nice profit but would love for it to make me more if its splits and goes back up again. ;)

I have 92 shares of Royal stock that I bought back when it was under$10 a share. Its now over $70 so I am tempted to sell it and bank my money. Does the stock have a history of splitting though? I did it for fun, and made a nice profit but would love for it to make me more if its splits and goes back up again. ;)

8 more shares would have given you Shareholder Benefits....:confused:

Unlikely to split at this price; it simply isn't that expensive and/or there appear to be plenty available for sale (the two reasons why a stock would likely split).

I would consult an accountant (or do research) and see if there are any tax advantages to cashing out now versus next year. If capital gains taxes are going up next year it could cost you a few hundred extra to wait.

If you don't need the money I'd sell it and buy Apple. Looks like they are going to turn in a monster quarter on the back of iPhone 6 sales (not to mention Christmas).

Idea #2: Get on Twitter and tweet @jimcramer - he answers questions like this all day. He is very likely to tell you to ring the register (as he puts it).

Disclaimer: I am not an accountant or investment consultant.

FYI a stock splitting does not increase the value in any way nor increase the odds of it going up in the future. In a 2-for-1 split while you end up with double the shares, each share is worth half of what it used to be worth. The total value, PE Ratios, future earning prospects, growth, and all factors used to value a stock remain completely unchanged.

FYI a stock splitting does not increase the value in any way nor increase the odds of it going up in the future. In a 2-for-1 split while you end up with double the shares, each share is worth half of what it used to be worth. The total value, PE Ratios, future earning prospects, growth, and all factors used to value a stock remain completely unchanged.

Technically true, except that historically, stocks (in general) tend to trend upward after a split.

As for the OP's question, if it were me, I would sell sufficient shares to cover my original investment (~$1000 if I calculate correctly) and hold the rest. Since you don't have 100 shares to start with, there are no shareholder benefits being lost.

If I could time the market, I wouldn't be reading these cruise message boards right now, I'd be sailing somewhere on a luxury cruise ship :)

Depends on your tax situations to some extent. On face value, I would be selling at least half of mine if I had it. Cruise prices are plummeting right now so that cannot be good. If I were forced to invest money into the stock right now, I'd be tempted to short it vs. going long. That is just me though, do your own research and make your own decisions. Can you sleep well if that stock drops to a certain point? If not, make a plan to start selling and sleep well.

cramer did a segment on the cruise industry just weeks ago

rccl was his favorite

He is very entertaining, but he is a trader, not an investor. One could flip a coin and have the same luck. Funny when he gives his pics for the most part the stock is at or close to highs. Day traders love him. Bulls make money, bears make money, hogs get slaughtered

Edited by setsail

If I could time the market, I wouldn't be reading these cruise message boards right now, I'd be sailing somewhere on a luxury cruise ship :)

I did that once. Bought the stock when it was way down, sold at 500% and paid for a 7 day cruise with it.

Why would you not have purchased the extra 10 shares somewhere along the way , to take advantage of the Shareholder Benefit all this time ????????

I don't need to benefit, can't combine it with anything any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The best, and really only practical advice is to consultant your financial advisor, if you have one, or compare what the stock has done versus your overall investment strategy and either sell or hold based on that.

Other than seeing some overall larger company / industry trends emerging from information on this website I would not solicit any investment advice from anyone here.

I don't need the money. I asked here too because I know there are people here who would be helpful with advice.

Respectfully you don't need 'helpful' advice. You need knowledgeable expert advise.

Taking financial advice on CC or from some talking head on TV is not advisable. Speak to your financial adviser, someone with a licence and expertise in investments.

I don't need the money. I asked here too because I know there are people here who would be helpful with advice.

Like me who has stock in a few companies. I missed the splits part. my bad.

Edited by trev71

Funny but people on the boards have been saying "SELL ASAP" when it got to 30 (that's when I bought), then SELL ASAP when it got to 40, then SELL ASAP at 50 and 60 and now it's at 70. Since for me it doubled in about 2 year,s I'm considering selling b/c as others have pointed out, for me it only seems to be combinable on odd years, in months without an R in them, if you book between 1AM and 1:05AM.

When is it a good time to buy or sell any stock....depends upon your goals -- but the first conversation should be with someone who knows your personal financial situation and consequences that might occur from the sale of the stock.

We bought our Royal stock when it was in the $50 range; sure we wish we had bought it lower....but we did not. It has increased nicely in less than a year for us. When/if we can use the stock owner benefits, fine. We just got a small OBC for the first time. I wish it was combinable with other benefits, but it isn't. The OBC is just an extra reason to keep it, nothing else.

I want and expect the stock to continue to rise......I don't see any reason for the stock to stop increasing in value.