Beware!!!! If wanting to go to Coco Cay!!!!

Really?

We also list Coco Cay as our 'least favorite'!

The best private island in our opinion goes to Disney's Castaway Cay!

Big plus is they 'Dock' at Castaway, they don't tender!

Coco Cay 140 acres, Castaway Cay 1000 acres!

You never feel crowded at Castaway Cay!

DCL ships don't always make it to the dock at Castaway, so there have been sailings when they don't get there.

You don't have use of all 1000 acres; you have use of what they allow you to use. And when we were at Coco, walking around, I realized that it felt a lot like the same amount of usable space. At Coco we felt like each of the little beach inlets were very private, and so we didn't feel like we were just one more group on a long long beach of groups. But that's how we feel at Castaway. First day last cruise (a double dip) I *definitely* felt crowded.

We even had a cabana the last day we were on Castaway, which was nice (though not worth the new higher cost on the family beach), and still, we'd all love to get back to Coco. :)

It's too bad manager say things like that. From another post, it seems that Enchantment was *just* there, so why it would be said by managers that they hadn't gotten supplies in 3 months is mind-boggling.

We just got off Quantum yesterday and missed Cocoa Cay due to rough waters. The Captain gave a talk and told us that since Royal doesn't own the island they can't make any improvements to it like building a breakwater that would improve the wave conditions in the harbor. Not that they haven't asked numerous times. :(

I was on Big Stirrup cay recently with NCL and noticed they had built a new landing on the other side of the breakwater for their ferry's. I was surprised to learn that NCL owns their island. I assumed they had a long term lease, similar to Royal Caribbean on Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay). Too bad they can't just buy it...they certainly have invested quite a sum on the island itself.

We have also made it 75-80% of the many times Coco Cay is on the itinerary.

Weather always plays into whether a ship does her itinerary as planned. Much like airline flights don't end up where planned due to weather.

Those planning a cruise vacation should take that into consideration. Not being able to tender into Coco Cay has been discussed on CC ad nausium!

OP, unless it has changed, Majesty is the resupply ship for Coco Cay. Anyone know if Majesty hasn't been able to get into Coco Cay for three months?

No problems with Majesty being able to stop at CoCo Cay On September 13 of this year ... 2-1/2 months ago anyway.

I'm 3 for 3 on CoCo Cay, and I consider myself one of the lucky ones ... but if we miss a port, I'm the type that just considers that another reason to book another cruise. I cruise more for the ship than for the ports. (If I was cruising Europe, that would be a different story, but the Caribbean cruises are all about the ship.)

We just got off Quantum yesterday and missed Cocoa Cay due to rough waters. The Captain gave a talk and told us that since Royal doesn't own the island they can't make any improvements to it like building a breakwater that would improve the wave conditions in the harbor. Not that they haven't asked numerous times. :(

It's got nothing to do with ownership of the island. All of the 'private' islands (Castaway Cay, Halfmoon Cay and Coco Cay) are leased from the Bahamian Government on 99 year leases.

Disney was able to build a dock at Castaway because the area around that island is less sensitive and had a fairly deep approach already. However, Coco Cay has living coral reefs on that side of the island and is relatively shallow. That's why the ships dock so far out. In order to build a dock they'd have to dredge through coral to deepen the approach or build out to where the ships currently dock and it's not likely that either of those will happen.

My family of 7, traveling with my sister's family of 4, was also on this cruise. I have personally made it to Coco Cay 1 out of 3 times. The first was actually a medical emergency diverted to Nassau. Having visited Coco Cay once, I consider it just a simple beach day. Yes, it's enjoyable, but it was very easy to spend the day out in the sun by the pools on board instead.

When we travel we always keep in mind that plans can change, and the Captain makes decisions for the safety of the passengers, as he is ultimately responsible. While we were anchored off Coco Cay in the morning, we witnessed one of the tender boats coming out of the harbor to receive supplies, and I was amazed at how the boat was being tossed around! It was rising and dropping hard with the swells. I knew right then that chances were we were not staying. If we had tried to tender, there would have most likely been some sick passengers and even more complaints.

We enjoyed our day at sea and attended some of the extra onboard activities that were added to the schedule. I was impressed that while the pool deck was crowded, I did not witness much chair hogging and we were able to find 2 chairs right by the kids' pool while our kids were playing in the water in the afternoon. Our kids also took advantage of the extra hours at the Jump Zone (trampoline) and Rock Wall.

In no way did I feel as though my vacation was diminished by not visiting Coco Cay. I also consider that the cost of a cruise vacation primarily covers the ship experience, cabin, food, etc., not necessarily the ports.

My family of 7, traveling with my sister's family of 4, was also on this cruise. I have personally made it to Coco Cay 1 out of 3 times. The first was actually a medical emergency diverted to Nassau. Having visited Coco Cay once, I consider it just a simple beach day. Yes, it's enjoyable, but it was very easy to spend the day out in the sun by the pools on board instead.

When we travel we always keep in mind that plans can change, and the Captain makes decisions for the safety of the passengers, as he is ultimately responsible. While we were anchored off Coco Cay in the morning, we witnessed one of the tender boats coming out of the harbor to receive supplies, and I was amazed at how the boat was being tossed around! It was rising and dropping hard with the swells. I knew right then that chances were we were not staying. If we had tried to tender, there would have most likely been some sick passengers and even more complaints.

We enjoyed our day at sea and attended some of the extra onboard activities that were added to the schedule. I was impressed that while the pool deck was crowded, I did not witness much chair hogging and we were able to find 2 chairs right by the kids' pool while our kids were playing in the water in the afternoon. Our kids also took advantage of the extra hours at the Jump Zone (trampoline) and Rock Wall.

In no way did I feel as though my vacation was diminished by not visiting Coco Cay. I also consider that the cost of a cruise vacation primarily covers the ship experience, cabin, food, etc., not necessarily the ports.

And injuries. My husband fell into the tender boat because of such swells one cruise. We decided after that if they have to delay tendering weather related we stay on board! We've heard many stories since on cruises of fun tendering or time on the island in " inclement" conditions usually just wind but not always just..

I'm just off the Enchantment if the seas and what a huge disappointment! If your booking Royal and wanting or planning of going to coco cay don't bet on it we missed the port due to conditions then were told they only get in less than 20% of the time this time of year and haven't been able to get supplies to the island for the last 3 months until we dropped supplies but we couldn't stop.

So beware if your bilking something that has coco cay odds are you won't get to stop. Had I known that prior to booking I would have picked another cruise. Was expensive cruise for 1 port!!!!

Whether you are cruising on Enchantment or Majesty or any other ship that calls on CocoCay, to say that someone is booking the cruise because of the stop in CocoCay -- I doubt that. We have cruised Majesty 11 times and Enchantment once, and made it to CocoCay MOST times. If we can't stop there, as we could not this past weekend from Majesty, so be it. They change the activities for the day, and arrive in Nassau in the early evening and everyone has a different experience.

There was one time, when we did tender to CocoCay and the seas were very rough....that tender ride was not fun.....if that is the alternative, I would rather skip the private island.

DCL ships don't always make it to the dock at Castaway, so there have been sailings when they don't get there.

You don't have use of all 1000 acres; you have use of what they allow you to use. And when we were at Coco, walking around, I realized that it felt a lot like the same amount of usable space. At Coco we felt like each of the little beach inlets were very private, and so we didn't feel like we were just one more group on a long long beach of groups. But that's how we feel at Castaway. First day last cruise (a double dip) I *definitely* felt crowded.

We even had a cabana the last day we were on Castaway, which was nice (though not worth the new higher cost on the family beach), and still, we'd all love to get back to Coco. :)

It's too bad manager say things like that. From another post, it seems that Enchantment was *just* there, so why it would be said by managers that they hadn't gotten supplies in 3 months is mind-boggling.

Accept your opinion on your preference, but docking is much more likely then tendering! And you dock at Disney's island!

About the size difference (140 acres vs 1000 acres) all the acreage at Coco Cay isn't used for cruisers either, and they do double dip at Coco Cay also, so there is more room at Disney's island!

Accept you opinion, but a lot of people like us also chose itinerary, and like to get off the ship, especially a small ship! Its easier if you're on a larger ship!:)

We have been to Coco Cay and enjoyed it- but missed it in March. However, we were able to dock overnight in Nassau- had enough time to go to the Melia on Cable Beach (the first afternoon) and had a great excursion the next day to Blue Lagoon Island.

We would be sure to book a good excursion in Nassau if a private island is on the itinerary.

Edited by cruiseapril

I'm 3 for 3 making it to Coco Cay.

I'm 0 for 1 in scuba diving there. I had a great time snorkeling there so I decided to scuba. They canceled my excursion saying it was too rough, but it wasn't too rough for snorkeling or wave runners.

Having done beach dives, I would say it was marginal, but I suspect I was the only one who signed up. I wish they would allocate a boat and make it a boat dive excursion.

Quantum inaugural missed it Friday due to the winds and seas; so hi-tech doesn't help get in. [emoji335] [emoji341] [emoji340] [emoji571]

The problem is not the big ship with or without hi-tech it is the boats that tender passengers to shore. When they are bobbing up and down violently there is no good way to safely hook up with the big ship. One of the wildest rides I ever took was a cruise ships small tender craft in Olympia Greece. We tried at least 10 times and aborted before they actually tried to get hooked onto the landing deck on the side of a cruise ship. The ship and the tender came together violently knocking people in the tender in some cases to the ground. It also tore a 3 foot gash in the fiberglass of the roof of the tender. I was starting to think we were going to spend the night on the shore. I didn't see too many 5 star hotels in the little seaside town.

jc

Nope 20% came out of the 2 managers for this time of year

No way that is true. No way. And not being able to get to Coco Cay in the last 3 months? Come on. That one doesn't even make sense.

I'm 10 for 10 at Coco Cay, 4 for 4 at Labadee, 4 for 4 at Great Stirrup Cay, and 1 for 1 at Princess Cays, so I guess I've been very lucky with private islands.

I'm 1 for 1. For the 2 days leading up to it, the Captain didn't think we would be able to stop but he said he wouldn't rule it out until he saw the conditions for himself. The morning we got there he was happy that it wasn't as predicted and although it was a slightly rough tender, we had a great day.

No way that is true. No way. And not being able to get to Coco Cay in the last 3 months? Come on. That one doesn't even make sense.

I'm 10 for 10 at Coco Cay, 4 for 4 at Labadee, 4 for 4 at Great Stirrup Cay, and 1 for 1 at Princess Cays, so I guess I've been very lucky with private islands.

We were also perfect on Coco Cay until a few years ago, then its been about 50%, but they just head to Nassau!

• 1 month later...
Truer words have never been spoken! :D

Everyone is different!

We love Coco Cay ... but some don't and that's OK too.

LuLu

Any insight on Coco Cay?

I've seen very little info on it here..

Bearfoot beach? or no?

Doesn't seem near any food, so how far of a walk to the food is it AND how far is the actual walk to there in the AM?

TIA!

I'm just off the Enchantment if the seas and what a huge disappointment! If your booking Royal and wanting or planning of going to coco cay don't bet on it we missed the port due to conditions then were told they only get in less than 20% of the time this time of year and haven't been able to get supplies to the island for the last 3 months until we dropped supplies but we couldn't stop.

So beware if your bilking something that has coco cay odds are you won't get to stop. Had I known that prior to booking I would have picked another cruise. Was expensive cruise for 1 port!!!!

Not many options for short cruises, and most cruise lines stop at a "private" island on short cruises. These islands are notorious for being missed on all cruise lines during certain times.

Depending on what ship, and if 3 day or 4 day, may give you other options. For example, Majesty of the Seas 3 day stops at CC on the first stop. If it misses, it continues to Nassua for an overnight stop. If on the Enchantment, it is the second day stop, than usually a sea day happens.

On 4 day cruises, they have one more flexible day, and might use it to go back and try again.

Any insight on Coco Cay?

I've seen very little info on it here..

Bearfoot beach? or no?

Doesn't seem near any food, so how far of a walk to the food is it AND how far is the actual walk to there in the AM?

TIA!

What do you mean by barefoot beach? You do not have to wear shoes, if you don't want to.

The food is throughout the island. It is a typical barbecue lunch with hamburgers, hot dogs, rice, mac and cheese, fruit, etc. Nothing fancy.

The walk to the food? From when you get off? Depending on which side of the beach your ship tenders to either 4 or 5 minutes. From the main beach, it's almost next door. If you go past the water park (which was where the best seating was, in my opinion), 6-7 minutes. If you go all the way down to the other side of the island, then maybe 20. Maybe. So never a far walk at all.

What do you mean by barefoot beach? You do not have to wear shoes, if you don't want to.

The food is throughout the island. It is a typical barbecue lunch with hamburgers, hot dogs, rice, mac and cheese, fruit, etc. Nothing fancy.

The walk to the food? From when you get off? Depending on which side of the beach your ship tenders to either 4 or 5 minutes. From the main beach, it's almost next door. If you go past the water park (which was where the best seating was, in my opinion), 6-7 minutes. If you go all the way down to the other side of the island, then maybe 20. Maybe. So never a far walk at all.

I'm pretty sure they were asking about Barefoot Beach and its location, not if they can walk barefoot on the beach. ;)

cmpells87, Barefoot Beach is about a 5 minute walk from the buffet area....10 minutes if taking your time. If you pay for a clamshell there, you get free shuttle service back and forth that goes through the center of the island.

I'm 100% at Coco Cay (5 for 5?). I would be more than happy to skip Nassau and spend extra time in Key West.

Paul, why would a ship have to skip Key West? Weather?

OP, I know it's a bummer to miss a port, but at least you didn't have 30 people with you and a wedding planned. I was on a ship where a gal was supposed to get married in Cozumel--had the whole thing planned and PAID for--and we couldn't dock. Can you imagine?