Royal Caribbean Conciege Lounge Crowding

KatnBob

I didn't know the EX had a DL.
Of course not, they had the card room and the kids playroom set up as a "D, D+, Plat" event each evening. Again, no room to accommodate everyone.

I don't mind sitting in the other lounges around the ship and meeting the other "classless" passengers.:eek: Some of the other bartenders around the ship were various generous with their fills.

Edited by cruzincurt

Out last cruise we went in the CL on the 1st nite (we are d+) i sat down to chat with a couple and they acted like I was going to mug them ( hopped up and left abuptly) I am used to the connection of the "frequent floaters". It was missing that nite. Think the DL will be our new hangout

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Of course not, they had the card room and the kids playroom set up as a "D, D+, Plat" event each evening. Again, no room to accommodate everyone.

I don't mind sitting in the other lounges around the ship and meeting the other "classless" passengers.:eek: Some of the other bartenders around the ship were various generous with their fills.

I assume you mean D, D+ and Pinnacle. :confused:

Having been in the CL on Mariner, Freedom and Allure on multiple sailings...

Yes we have observed crowding, but, not to the point of not being served.

Yes we have observed cruisers with " attitude" we walk away...I am sure they say that of me for walking away.

Yes, we have seen people camped out before it opens and after it closes cocktail hour................We have in the past done first dinner, and go early and leave by 6pm. On a rare occasion we have seen same people there at 8pm. They could have left, eaten and come back, but, wondered.

We try to make the most of it.

We have met some very nice families in the lounge.

Heres hoping the Oasis suite lounge is nice and friendly.

Sea ya

Example of "Group Mentality": (on the Quantum)

We got in line early at the theater to wait for the doors to open for "Sonic Odessey".

To help the time pass, I went into the Diamond Lounge to get 2 get us glasses of wine (leaving my spouse in line).

I placed my order, and leaned against the wall to wait for the glasses to be brought to me.

There was a group of about 6 people sitting on the sofa and chairs near me and chatting among themselves. They saw me leaning against the wall and motioned to offer me a spot among them. I did share with them that I was waiting for wine to consume while standing in the theater line. We had a brief, pleasant conversation.

There ARE many nice, considerate, welcoming people in the lounges. I hope to emulate them.

Edited by beachnative

Many of the CL and DL are near another bar area. We were on the Jewel and Adventure recently. We just took our drinks out in the Centrum area where the extra seating outside the CL is located. We did this also with our family on the Adventure, since the DL is next to the Viking Crown lounge. The bar staff on both ships would check on us to see if we needed another drink.

On the Adventure we had our 2 sons, one DIL, so we were a group of 5. It was much easier for us to go out to the Viking with our appetizers and drinks. It left 5 seats open for others in the DL.

With the introduction of the pre-loaded drink vouchers, I've found the Concierges on 3 different ships now have no problem with drinks being taken out of the lounge, and yes, I did ask on each ship.

One of the DL Concierges told me that D+ will definitely be phased out of the CL on all ships. They will accomodate us in the DL's and around the ship with the pre-loaded drink vouchers, as well as overflow lounges if there are large numbers on the sailing. We have no problem with this, since we can take our appetizers and drinks to the bar lounge that is inevitably located right next to the DL on most ships.

CL's have never been our favorites, except for the Radiance. Most CL's tend to be large inside closets to us, and we prefer to have a view in the early part of the happy hour.

Hello Everyone...I haven't had the time to read every single post, so, my comments may have already been mentioned.

We are currently Diamond status, and have two cruises planned this coming April. After the first April cruise, we will become Diamond+ members.

We've been cruising since 1997, and feel very fortunate to be able to cruise. When in the Diamond Lounge on some ships, and, in previous years, in the Concierge Lounge, we've always kept a low profile, met some great people, and went about our business.

I guess I would like other thoughts on the following too:

We have seen Diamond, Diamond+ and Suite guests, very polite and respectful, and some, very rude with an attitude that the world owes them a favor.

For a Suite person that has access to the Concierge lounge, BUT, acts rude, and, doesn't respect a Diamond or Diamond+ member, is that the right attitude? I've always had this question: If a person pays for a Suite, and, cruises often, again, in a Suite, I suppose they might get get out of character on occasion. HOWEVER, if that same person is just an occasional cruiser, or even less than that, should they feel any superiority over a Diamond or Diamond+ member? Why? Because the Diamond or Diamond+ member had to invest a lot more money total on their cruises to get the privilege to be Diamond or Diamond+.

So, even if a couple booked an inside cabin for a 7-day cruise at $1000, total, and gets 7-points for the cruise, they would have to invest $25,000 or, do 25 cruises. If a person gets a suite, and they are only going to cruise once or twice, they won't have to invest nearly as much as the Diamond/Diamond+ couple had to do to just get into the Concierge Lounge. So, I think that's why some Diamond/Diamond+ members get upset, when a suite person gets Concierge access.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, the voucher system seems like a nice alternative to being cooped up in the C-Lounge when it is full of people.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Dave

Hello Everyone...I haven't had the time to read every single post, so, my comments may have already been mentioned.

We are currently Diamond status, and have two cruises planned this coming April. After the first April cruise, we will become Diamond+ members.

We've been cruising since 1997, and feel very fortunate to be able to cruise. When in the Diamond Lounge on some ships, and, in previous years, in the Concierge Lounge, we've always kept a low profile, met some great people, and went about our business.

We have seen Diamond, Diamond+ and Suite guests, very polite and respectful, and some, very rude with an attitude that the world owes them a favor.

For a Suite person that has access to the Concierge lounge, BUT, acts rude, and, doesn't respect a Diamond or Diamond+ member, is that the right attitude? I've always had this question: If a person pays for a Suite, and, cruises often, again, in a Suite, I suppose they might get get out of character on occasion. HOWEVER, if that same person is just an occasional cruiser, or even less than that, should they feel any superiority over a Diamond or Diamond+ member? Why? Because the Diamond or Diamond+ member had to invest a lot more money total on their cruises to get the privilege to be Diamond or Diamond+.

So, even if a couple booked an inside cabin for a 7-day cruise at $1000, total, and gets 7-points for the cruise, they would have to invest $25,000 or, do 25 cruises. If a person gets a suite, and they are only going to cruise once or twice, they won't have to invest nearly as much as the Diamond/Diamond+ couple had to do to just get into the Concierge Lounge. So, I think that's why some Diamond/Diamond+ members get upset, when a suite person gets Concierge access.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, the voucher system seems like a nice alternative to being cooped up in the C-Lounge when it is full of people.

Dave

What took you 25 cruises to achieve only takes a suite guest 5-10. And when you pay 5-15k for a suite once or twice a year vs 1k for 1 or 2 cruises a year I think it is easy to assume which buyer is more attractive to RC. At the end of the day RC wants their money sooner than later. Also on our last cruise the concierge mentioned how Diamond/+ members tend not to tip. We travel in suites because that is the cabin and experience that suits us best. We are respectful and polite in the CL but most definitely have experienced some interesting upper CL members. However I will say that all of the pinnacle members we have met over the years have been welcoming and extremely polite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by CaribSailor

I still don't get the posts mentioning "suite guests" or D/D+ guests in the lounge. I've had many lovely conversations with others in the lounge and have NO IDEA if they are D+/P or in a suite. The accommodations or C&A "rank" is never part of any initial conversation. I figure they are one or the other (or both) or they would not be in the lounge. Yes -I see a few pins or the lanyard showing the card color, but those folks are the minority.

Have there been very lovely folks, YES. Have there been nasty folks, YES. But, how would I know their "rank" or accommodations?

M

I think where you really pick up the elitism among D/D+, etc. is in the separate dining room for breakfast. I overheard quite a few "entitled" type comments being made to the staff. Some was just conversational, but had that "I'm a such-and-such, so I'm going to impress with my elite status" tone, but the worst was the lady berating the server that the egg soaked in her french toast didn't go all the way THROUGH the bread. She was really ticked and went on for a loooooong time berating him.

Reminds me of Princess Butterpat here on CC many years ago: the lady that complained that RCCL wasn't refined enough because they didn't emboss their logo on the butter pats.

It is possible to spend $25,000 for just one suite. I'm sure that Royal wants those that do to continue returning, even if only occasionally. Obviously Royal has come to the same conclusion with increasing the suite amenities, something they were way behind on compared to other lines.

To date we have had two couples on different cruises try to explain to us the errors in our ways. When we were in the concierge lounge they first asked if we were in a suite. When we replied yes we were told they were going to enlighten us on how we should really cruise. It basically was to book the lowest inside guarantee on the longest cruises possible. Spend little on board and even consider not tipping so we could cruise more often to get to Diamond or Diamond Plus quickly and get into the concierge lounge. Funny part was they never asked what our "status" was with Royal, I guess they just assumed (wrongly) that we hadn't achieved anything since we were "foolishly" paying for a suite. Our first cruises in the 80's were in inside cabins -- there is no way I was going back to that :)

Dave

We invest with brokerage firms, not with cruise fares.

We spend money on cruises, and we really enjoy the cruises.

At the end of the cruise, the money is gone, spent, never to return. Fortunately, the cruise lines have decided to reward us as returning customers. We very much appreciate those loyalty program rewards but know the cruise lines can change or revoke the loyalty at any time for any reason. They can also change the perks offered to those who book suites.

I do not want anybody to be disrespectful to any other guest. Currently D+ cards and suite cards open the CL door. If the cruise lines says you are welcome in the lounge on that cruise, there you go. Speculating on how much somebody has or has not spent with the cruise line is irrelevant and even a tad distasteful.

That's insulting for him/her to say that to anyone.

We'll there were some interesting characters in the lounge every day who were extremely demanding, chair hogging and making loud comments about others in the lounge and staff. Clearly the concierge said it out of frustration. One lady kept going up to them to "make sure" everyone who was in there belonged. I saw her husband take a tall glass and fill it with booze each night while the servers were busy or not around, giggle and say to all they were sitting with "I'm not paying for a single drink on this cruise" and "you should see the bar I have collected in my cabin". Some people are just lame. The funny thing about all this is the exact people who are complaining about the changes and their CA status, you would think that they were discussing their grand children. We ALL buy our way into the lounge, Some quicker than others.

Edited by CaribSailor

Hello Caribsailor...IF, someone takes 5-10 cruises that you mentioned and gets a suite all those times, I agree with you 100%. However, we both know that there are some people that will cruise once or twice as a trip of a lifetime, and, those are the people I'm talking about.

A person that cruises once or twice and gets a suite, then acts like the king of the hill, to me anyway, has no business acting that way, or, thinking they deserve higher treatment, because they are not spending a fraction of what a 25 cruise person has spent.

Hello Caribsailor...IF, someone takes 5-10 cruises that you mentioned and gets a suite all those times, I agree with you 100%. However, we both know that there are some people that will cruise once or twice as a trip of a lifetime, and, those are the people I'm talking about.

A person that cruises once or twice and gets a suite, then acts like the king of the hill, to me anyway, has no business acting that way, or, thinking they deserve higher treatment, because they are not spending a fraction of what a 25 cruise person has spent.

Point well taken. Unfortunately those individuals you speak of most likely act like that everyday of their lives.

1. There are nice people who are on their first cruise.

2. There are snobs who are on their first cruise.

3. There are nice people who are Gold C&A.

4. There are snobs who are Gold C&A.

5. There are nice people who are Platinum C&A.

6. There are snobs who are Platinum C&A.

7. There are nice people who are Emerald.

8. There are snobs who are Emerald.

9. There are nice people who are Diamond.

10. There are snobs who are Diamond.

11. There are nice people who are Diamond Plus.

12. There are snobs who are Diamond Plus.

13. There are nice people who are Pinnacle Club.

14. There are snobs who are Pinnacle Club.

15. There are nice people who are suite guests.

16. There are snobs who are suite guests.

The sniping and finger pointing on this thread are stupid. This thread is stupid.

Just my oh-so-humble opinion, of course.

At the end of the day RC wants their money sooner than later. Also on our last cruise the concierge mentioned how Diamond/+ members tend not to tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

:confused: That's pretty blanket statement. We are D+ and we tip pretty darn generously in the CL to concierges and servers. We also occasionally cruise in a suite. That's never made a difference in how we tip. :rolleyes:

Just thinking, the way people snap and snip at each other here. Condescending posts by some...........Royal probably is reading this and as the saying goes-be careful what you wish for. I think they are finally trying to cull the heard before it starts eating its young.

Once the decision is made on Oasis as to what will happen once the CL is closed to Wonderland, it will be interesting where they are dropping some of the herd off. Do some get to stay, all get to stay or some go off with daily credit at the feed store.

Merion_Mom has hit the nail on the head.

Merion_mom absolutely nailed it. I have never experienced crappy behavior in ether the D lounge or C lounge. Perhaps the reason for that is that if someone starts acting insufferable I tend to distance myself from them. I have always been so amazed that a person of such humble beginnings (myself) could live such a blessed life. I tend to dwell on the positive, after all....... We on da boat. How bad can life be?

The sniping and finger pointing on this thread are stupid. This thread is stupid.

Whilst I agree with the majority of your post I cannot agree with the comment "this thread is stupid"

You may ask why and that is because it has really opened my eyes to see how people view each other and will make my next trip to the Concierge and Diamond lounge much more interesting looking and listening for people who behave like those mentioned in these postings.;)

Well stated Carol.