Formal Nights to be dropped

stu042

The formal dress shoes. Having under shirt long sleeve shirt tie and yes on occasion the neck line is bothersome. Wearing the jacket I get hot on a ship. Very hot. Others find it cold on the ship but I roast in a suit myself Also my suits are not cotton and don't breathe as well as a cotton casual outfit. Some people are totally comfortable in a suit. I don't count myself in that unfortunately. These are all personal reasons pertaining to myself only. Everyone has a different comfort level. [emoji106]

Glad to hear that observation from someone who's experienced Quantum & Dynamic Dining. Kind of flies in the face of those who have already predicted here that The Grande would be virtually empty every night because no one wants to dress formally. Definitely reinforces my past statements that its really not the majority who want "all casual all the time" but rather a very vocal Cruise Critic minority who'd like you to think they represent the majority.

I'm not sure the early reports of attendance in Grande are definitive. Those who booked Quantum on the earliest cruises are probably more representative of the long time cruising public than the average cruiser. These more traditional cruisers are more likely to like formal nights. It's a big leap to extrapolate these early reports to being representative of the general cruising public.

The same is true about Cruise Critic posters. Even if you are correct that those who prefer all casual are a minority on cruise critic, that says very little about the preferences of the majority of cruisers.

BTW, I love the concept of Grande where anyone can dress up anytime they like. I firmly believe that a cruise ship is large enough for everyone to indulge their desires. I personally won't visit Grande but I'm glad it's there.

Edited by RocketMan275

I'm not sure the early reports of attendance in Grande are definitive. Those who booked Quantum on the earliest cruises are probably more representative of the long time cruising public than the average cruiser. These more traditional cruisers are more likely to like formal nights. It's a big leap to extrapolate these early reports to being representative of the general cruising public.

Well, let's just say that those early reports are a whole lot more definitive than the predictions (with NO data behind them) of the CC "I wanna wear shorts" vocal minority that The Grande was likely to be underutilized & half empty all the time. ;)

On the other hand, very few people actually dress formally now. Many dress no differently than they do on smart casual nights, and many more dress up a LITTLE more but are no where close to being in formal attire. Lots of men in a jacket but no tie (or a shirt and tie but no jacket) and not many at all in a suit or tux; women in black pants and a slightly dressy top, or a casual maxi dress with flip flop style sandals. This seems to me that most people would prefer to have smart casual every night. Case in point: On the Quantum there is no formal night per se, but The Grande restaurant is formal every night. We didn't eat at the Grande, but walking around the ship in the evening, I never saw anyone in formal attire or even dressier-than-usual-but-not-formal attire. May have been a few that I didn't see, but even the "formal" restaurant was not drawing people in formal attire.

Or they dressed for dinner, then changed into casual clothes for the rest of the evening.

We didn't eat at the Grande, but even the Grande's definition of "formal" is simply that men need to wear a jacket.... no tie, suit or tux required. And we certainly didn't see very many people around the ship in the evening dressed in anything other than smart casual. If people dressed up more to go the Grande, they must have changed back to smart casual right after dinner, LOL.

That was the definition of "formal" on our Allure cruise in January.

I will wear something dressy, but short of true formal, on any cruise that requires a flight. DH will rent a tux if there are 2 or more formal nights. If we can drive to the port, then we'll bring our own formal wear. I enjoy the occasional dress up, but don't really care if they want to eliminate a true formal night.

Yes, and the funny thing was I read not once but a few times that this was something they were watching to see if it was popular to keep it a formal venue. Guess time will tell on this one.

On the other ships I would think the decline of photo sales would be the deciding factor if it does go away. I know I have noticed less and less people in formal wear and more and more people eating at the WJ that night!!

I too have noticed less people getting photos. Formal nights were pretty neat in past when most dressed up (late 1990's) when we first sailed.

As a previous poster mention, we do not dress formally now as it is true for us that we do not like to dress formally and walk around with most people not dressed similarly. I do still bring dark jacket/tie and wear with stone colored chinos on formal night, but that might change in future.

Well, let's just say that those early reports are a whole lot more definitive than the predictions (with NO data behind them) of the CC "I wanna wear shorts" vocal minority that The Grande was likely to be underutilized & half empty all the time. ;)

I do remember some saying that Grande would be underutilized in the future but I don't remember anyone saying Grande would be half empty on a TA with a very high percentage of Diamond and up. You'll have to wait while for good data.

From what i understand Quantum will be going to Asia and Anthem will be mostly European. The only ships sailing the Caribbean with DD will be Oasis and Allure in the near future. Far too early to call this election.

It's not what a "vocal minority" of cruise critic posters want, it's what the majority of the cruising public that RCI wants to attract that will determine the future of dress codes. Whether those with a preference for casual dress are a "vocal minority" or a "vocal majority" really doesn't matter.

On the other hand, very few people actually dress formally now. Many dress no differently than they do on smart casual nights, and many more dress up a LITTLE more but are no where close to being in formal attire. Lots of men in a jacket but no tie (or a shirt and tie but no jacket) and not many at all in a suit or tux; women in black pants and a slightly dressy top, or a casual maxi dress with flip flop style sandals. This seems to me that most people would prefer to have smart casual every night. Case in point: On the Quantum there is no formal night per se, but The Grande restaurant is formal every night. We didn't eat at the Grande, but walking around the ship in the evening, I never saw anyone in formal attire or even dressier-than-usual-but-not-formal attire. May have been a few that I didn't see, but even the "formal" restaurant was not drawing people in formal attire.

Even the definition of formal has changed through the years. Started cruising in 1984, at that time FORMAL was Tux, informal was Jacket and tie, casual nigh was usually few and far between and would be tied to island night shirts and such. That was too much, afternoon tea was black tie service and you were Jacket and Tie, not little sandwiches at buffet. The pendulum swings, often too far. Some ships form some areas you can see as many shorts for dinner in the main dining room as dark suits. Have actually witnessed a guy in pajamas at main dining room formal night.

So other tan DD on Quantum that has no fixed formal nights merely a formal restaurant, formal is not been announced yet as gone but really most aren't apparently waiting for an announcement.

Used to love watching a ship transform into something special on formal night, then people started changing right after dinner, now I am happy if they appear not to be going commando at least.

George in NY

Used to love watching a ship transform into something special on formal night, then people started changing right after dinner, now I am happy if they appear not to be going commando at least.

Just don't look to closely, and you'll have that thought forever. :D

The formal dress shoes. Having under shirt long sleeve shirt tie and yes on occasion the neck line is bothersome. Wearing the jacket I get hot on a ship. Very hot. Others find it cold on the ship but I roast in a suit myself Also my suits are not cotton and don't breathe as well as a cotton casual outfit. Some people are totally comfortable in a suit. I don't count myself in that unfortunately. These are all personal reasons pertaining to myself only. Everyone has a different comfort level. [emoji106]

Not arguing, just still not really "getting" it. Again, to me, from a comfort perspective mens shoes are mens shoes - GIVEN that you have the right size - unless you're talking about dress shoes vs. sandals or something. And I wouldn't be wearing sandals to dinner, but that's just me.

As for roasting in a suit - that argument makes the most sense - although, given that a nice suit is more than sufficient for formal nights, I have a couple of summer linen suits which are quite cool to wear - and I also don't bother with an undershirt under the dress shirt either. At least one of those linen suits generally goes with me on our cruises - and if packed well and hung out in the bathroom with the shower running on hot for a few minutes to steam out any wrinkles, always look nice.

To me though, wearing a tux in the evening, after the sun has gone down, isn't hot or uncomfortable. Now in the middle of the day in the sun, it would be unbearable, but that's not when I'm wearing it. :)

I do remember some saying that Grande would be underutilized in the future...

Far too early to call this election.

Just please remember to also point out that its too early to call this election when the others show up and state that The Grande will be underutilized, with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. ;)

We didn't eat at the Grande, but even the Grande's definition of "formal" is simply that men need to wear a jacket.... no tie, suit or tux required. And we certainly didn't see very many people around the ship in the evening dressed in anything other than smart casual. If people dressed up more to go the Grande, they must have changed back to smart casual right after dinner, LOL.

Is Grande a restaurant that's included in cruise fare or a restaurant that charges?

still not really "getting" it. Again, to me, from a comfort perspective mens shoes are mens shoes - GIVEN that you have the right size - unless you're talking about dress shoes vs. sandals or something.

We are all special snowflakes. Unique and different in our subjective opinions of personal comfort.

Is Grande a restaurant that's included in cruise fare or a restaurant that charges?

It is included in the cruise fare. They do request "formal" but they now define formal, on Quantum, basically as having a jacket on. No mention of tux, suit, tie, etc.

To me though, wearing a tux in the evening, after the sun has gone down, isn't hot or uncomfortable. Now in the middle of the day in the sun, it would be unbearable, but that's not when I'm wearing it. :)

I am like a one main rain storm when I wear a tux to the gym or for a bike ride:D

It is included in the cruise fare. They do request "formal" but they now define formal, on Quantum, basically as having a jacket on. No mention of tux, suit, tie, etc.

"Request", "Suggest", "Require",whatever. Honestly I expect that (unfortunately) any type of "formal" requirement will not be enforced.

I can only imagine the scenario when the passenger has made reservations for Grand, shows up in shorts and a polo shirt, and explains that he has no other type of clothing in the suitcase. It will likely be too late to get a reservation to a different restaurant.

I guess we'll wait and see.

M

I guess we'll wait and see.

M

Yes, we will. I think it takes a special type of obliviousness to try to get away with that. I will not be surprised when people try.

As much as I prefer smart casual, I think that if the venue requires, let's call it "new formal", I truly have no issue with a standard being maintained for The Grande, and if I want to dine there I'll comply with the standard.

I don't see them being dropped altogether on the non-DD ships just yet, although I will say that from the perspective of a first-time or infrequent cruiser, it can be seen as a drawback as much as a neat experience. Most people don't have purchased, fitted tuxes and evening gowns sitting around in their closets anymore, so it's this thing you've got to buy and prepare for specifically for one night of your cruise. Then the clothes sit around potentially for years until the next time, because where else do you actually where evening formal these days? Even if you're a member of someone's wedding, they typically want you to have a tux/dress that matches everyone else's.

I totally agree with you - we are infrequent cruisers and although my husband and I have somewhat formal attire (him a suit - not a tux - and me a dressy black dress) we are cruising with our three children in their teens, early twenties and they do not have appropriate dress for formal night. My sons will wear a dress shirt and tie because buying a suit for just this occasion is not cost effective - especially after paying the cost of the cruise for 5 people!! I know people will say just eat at Windjammer on formal night but why should we give up a good meal that we already paid for just because the still growing teens don't have a suit to wear.

I totally agree with you - we are infrequent cruisers and although my husband and I have somewhat formal attire (him a suit - not a tux - and me a dressy black dress) we are cruising with our three children in their teens, early twenties and they do not have appropriate dress for formal night. My sons will wear a dress shirt and tie because buying a suit for just this occasion is not cost effective - especially after paying the cost of the cruise for 5 people!! I know people will say just eat at Windjammer on formal night but why should we give up a good meal that we already paid for just because the still growing teens don't have a suit to wear.

I agree with you. There is no way I am eating in the WJ on formal nights! I paid for dining in dining room, and I expect to eat there! I dress in a dressy dress, but nothing I would call formal. And my hubby would wear his suit on those nights--not a tux. On our next cruise in Feb, we are traveling with 2 adult sons and their families. They have been worried about the kids (all teens) not having formal wear, and they did not want to spend a lot on something they will never wear again! I told them not to worry. Just a pair of khakis should be fine with a neat shirt. With more and more families cruising, I think cruise lines are re-thinking the traditional formal night. I do like the idea of just one venue for formal wear (The Grande in DD), and would love to try it when traveling alone with my hubby. I have spent a lot of time finding dressy items to wear (often browsing the sale racks can reap great rewards prior to a cruise!) and enjoy wearing them, but none are what I would consider as formal. I personally do not want to lug all that on a plane! Just easy dresses I can roll and place in our suitcase. And generally one pair of dressy shoes to go with all. I remember back in 1995, on our first cruise, I packed a pair of shoes to match every outfit! Hubby says NEVER AGAIN!! LOL!

There are no special drinks, appetizers, etc. like there used to be. Why would people feel like dressing to the nines for the lackluster experience they are given? Why pay extra to lug extra luggage? RC puts zero effort into formal nights imo. How about a real flower on a table?

There are no special drinks, appetizers, etc. like there used to be. Why would people feel like dressing to the nines for the lackluster experience they are given? Why pay extra to lug extra luggage? RC puts zero effort into formal nights imo. How about a real flower on a table?

Last year was our first RCCL cruise, and we were surprised that we didn't have a formal night reception where free cocktails and appetizers were served! Our previous experiences have all been with Carnival, and we always had those perks on formal night.

My sons will wear a dress shirt and tie because buying a suit for just this occasion is not cost effective - especially after paying the cost of the cruise for 5 people!!

Have them wear dress shirt and tie and enjoy your dinner!

That said, if you can pick up a (used?) blue blazer for cheap it does add a bit of pizzazz to the look... and doesn't really cost that much.

I always enjoyed the atmosphere on the ship on formal night. On the ships that had the Captain's night on a formal night, the Promenade would be full of dressed up people enjoying champagne. I will probably dress up in my version of formal to eat at the Grande, but the evening won't have the special feel to it with most of the ship being dressed down quite a bit.

I don't think the Grande will be half empty since they probably won't enforce a dress code. People will feel they have a right to eat in that restaurant dressed as they like, just as they argue now on formal nights to eat in the dining room dressed as they like. I think the Grande will be as full as the other restaurants.

I will be on the Oasis at the end of February, just before the change to Dynamic Dining. We will enjoy our last formal nights.

Edited by KansasK