Another lie from Celebrity, re: Silhouette

rucruisn2

We are on Sunday's sailing of Silhouette. Just called Celebrity to verify rumor about Puerto Rico being cancelled as a port stop. Yes, we are not stopping in San Juan, but they said it was "due to a problem in the port of San Juan"! Well, we all know it's due to the engine problems. We will get $100 OBC, Suites will get $200.

Why can't they just be honest?

As Celebrity cannot offer the product they advertised then customers should be offered the opportunity to cancel with a full refund. $100 OBC doesn't seem a lot of compensation for missing 33% of the ports.

Of course the small print in that cruise document says they can do anything they want including change all the ports, shorten the cruise, serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for all meals.

So while you are intellectually being reasonable, no way celebrity will give up revenue. If there is a legal case to be made, it would have to be based someohow on false advertising...but then there's that pesky small print. Oh, you didn't see that until after final payment...hmmm! Actually, there's a legal hole right there....interesting.....unless those small print words are in something you receive when you book a cruise (I don't think they are).

Can a company impose fine print terms and conditions after the point where you can't get a full refund. Very interesting question....

Ports missed by my family:

RCCL 0 over 3 cruises

Princess 0 over 1 cruise

Cunard 1 over 1 cruise *

Celebrirty 3 plus 1 two days late over 5 cruises - all blamed on the weather.

Celebrity are in a class of their own in term of missed ports with my family. A bad workman blames his tools (weather in this case). If Celebrity continue with this attitude towards their customers then they will ultimately lose market share.

* The Cunard port wasn't actually missed. The captain reached port in time but due to a serious storm that would be appearing before our due time to leave he took the decision to move on rather than be stuck in the port. The next port was the Holy Land - the principal reason for the cruise for most people - hence an excellent decision by the captain.

Edited by candhu18

Shouldn't we receive a refund of some of our port charges in addition to the OBC?

Since we are not going to San Juan, where do the port charges go? Or is that already paid by Celebrity in advance?

Port fees are refunded to passengers; they aren't in the form of OBC.

RCCL 0 over 3 cruises

Princess 0 over 1 cruise

Cunard 1 over 1 cruise *

Carnival 1 port missed in 10 cruises

Royal 1 missed in 8

Celebrity 0 missed in 7 cruises.

Guess we have been lucky.

RCCL 0 over 3 cruises

Princess 0 over 1 cruise

Cunard 1 over 1 cruise *

Celebrity are in a class of their own in term of missed ports with my family. A bad workman blames his tools (weather in this case). If Celebrity continue with this attitude towards their customers then they will ultimately lose market share.

Have done 3 cruises on Celebrity....2 with stops in San Juan, and never missed a port. Princess.... 3 missed ports over 20 cruises all weather related.

RCCL 0 over 3 cruises

Princess 0 over 1 cruise

Cunard 1 over 1 cruise *

Ports missed on my cruises

RCCL 4 ports over 13 cruises

Princess 5 ports over 10 cruises

Celebrity 0 over 14 cruises, left Bermuda one day early because of hurricane

Holland America 0 over 5, left New York one day late because of hurricane

Azamara, 0 over 1

Carnival, 0 over 2

NCL , 0 over 2

Cunard, 0 over 1, it was a TA with all sea says

Edited by Charles4515

On the 12/7 cruise also. Would loved to have visited San Juan again, during Christmas time but, it is what it is. However, I also don't appreciate Celebrity trying to pass this missed port off as a harbor problem when indeed it is a Celebrity Silhouette problem that has been know about, by Celebrity, for some time now. :(

I'm on the Sunday sailing as well. I've only been notified by my TA via e-mail and per them, "We have been informed by Celebrity that the port call to San Juan, Puerto Rico on December 9 has been replaced with a day at sea due to limitations with the top speed of the vessel." At least they are being honest.

There was however no mention of an additional OBC as compensation. Is there anything I need to do to ensure I receive the additional OBC?

On the Dec 21st sailing. Will be very disappointed if Celebrity is not honest about this situation.

I bet you'll get the problem with the port story, they also told me that they had sent me an email about the missed port yesterday, that didn't happen either.

I guess we have been lucky too.

Celebrity 20 missed 1 port, charges refunded.

Princess 3 missed 1 port, got nothing, nada.

Both were due to weather.

Silhouette is a beautiful ship with a great crew and wonderful food. I would be happy with another long cruise on her going nowhere.:D

My experience is that the people at the call centers are not told much. If they are even at a call center. They may be working from home.

Celebrity home office told the phone reps what to say, I didn't blame the phone rep, I blame Celebrity for lying.

And yes, Silhouette is a beautiful ship!!!

Edited by rucruisn2