Do you exercise while crusing?

kandj05

I am just curious who exercises while on a cruise. We have never done it thus far. But we have changed our lifestyle since Jan. 2014 so we will definitely be hitting the gym on the Panama Canal cruise. What workout do you do?

I primarily use the elliptical. My husband will use the weights, rowing machine, elliptical and jogging track. We usually do not take any classes.

The gyms are nice, but can get crowded, esp in the beginning of the cruise.

Congrats on the healthier lifestyle! Have a great cruise!

Was just on the Grandeur over Thanksgiving. I'm an early riser, so for six out of the 8 days, I hit the fitness center at 7AM. Each morning I did a 45 min program on the recumbent bike. A good number of people were there each morning. In addition, the gym instructor had a stretching class going on each day. Afterwards, I felt invigorated ready for the rest of the day. I recommend bringing your own Nalgene/Camelbak water bottle and fill with ice water at the Windjammer prior to your workout as there are no complimentary bottles of water available in the fitness room.

I am just curious who exercises while on a cruise. We have never done it thus far. But we have changed our lifestyle since Jan. 2014 so we will definitely be hitting the gym on the Panama Canal cruise. What workout do you do?

I always use the stairs while on the ship. One hour walk (track) early in the morning. I also use the recumbent bikes in the gym in the late afternoon for 45 minutes while the wife is taking a shower. We also do a lot of walking while visiting the ports.

I keep up with cardio. Running on the jogging track is nice, but it is a little bit of a pain to have to dodge those meandering between the walk and the jog lanes (No offense intended).

I found it very relaxing running on the treadmill in the gym looking out on the ocean, it was very surreal and calming.

YES!!! A million times yes!!!! I am a gym rat, work out at least 2-3 hours a day. On a cruise I settle for an hour. I am up at 5:45 am so I am in the gym on the ship by 6 am. Get my workout done, so we can head out and enjoy the day.

At home I am at the gym by 5 am every day, so getting to the gym on the ship at 6 is no bigger. NEVER crowded if you get up early and get going. I can stay out until midnight on the ship and I am still at the gym by no later than 6 am.

There is no way I could go anywhere where I could not workout at least somewhere. When we go somewhere w/o a gym I get up and walk. Something is better than nothing. Just a part of my life.

They have exercise equipment on the ships?:eek:

YES!! All the normal stuff, not tons of it, but if you go early you won't have any trouble finding something to work out on. I normally go for the elliptical and get my hour in. Many times I am the only one in there when I first start at 5:45 or 6 am. By the time I leave there might be a few more.

Majesty does not have ellipticals b/c of the low ceilings, but all the other ships have those, treadmills, bikes, weights, workout classes, etc.

Absolutely. We do the pool deck triathilon - Push-ups, sprints and waitlifting. Push ourselves up from a lounger, sprint to the closest bar, wait for the bartender to make our next rounds and lift a glass to being on a cruise. Best done with significant repetition :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Absolutely. We do the pool deck triathilon - Push-ups, sprints and waitlifting. Push ourselves up from a lounger, sprint to the closest bar, wait for the bartender to make our next rounds and lift a glass to being on a cruise. Best done with significant repetition :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Funny! I do that also, but after I get my hour workout in the gym:D

No really. I go to the gym in land, if I workout at the beginning of the cruise I will be soared the whole week. Now I'm doing t25 not daily but at least every other day. If I still doing it I might do some cardio but nothing intense

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I keep up with cardio. Running on the jogging track is nice, but it is a little bit of a pain to have to dodge those meandering between the walk and the jog lanes (No offense intended).

I love the track and have given up on being bugged by the weave and start/stop due to traffic and just make it part of the workout. I try to do pick ups when I am approaching a pack and slow down when I reach the pack, or a pack of bikini sunbathers :D To anyone who has a Garmin or similar device, running on the ships track with it is a must so you can see your circles across the sea when you download your data.

To the OP, if my wife and I have to use the gym, we do "bricks" (bike/run combos) to break things up. 10 minutes on the treadmill followed by 15 minutes on the spin bike and repeat as long as you like. You can "brick" out to whatever combos you like (elliptical, rowing machine, etc).

I generally try to copy the cardio program I do at the local Y (treadmill, rower, bike, elliptical and a few weight machines). On Brilliance, Clo O'Connor, the CD, holds a mile walk every morning up on Deck 12 (weather-permitting) and I try to make it a point to join her and others each day.

I belong to a health club and I am there 5-7 days a week.While on a cruise I usually try and get there every morning at 7:00.I use the bike ,weights ,rowing machine and anything else that I can find . I generally will be there 45 minutes (at home I exercise 90 minutes a day).

I power walk on the track, my husband runs and we never take an elevator. Sometimes, I will do extra sets of stairs for some extra steps.

I feel viruous having exercised but that doesn't give me an excuse to overindulge food-wise; I still eat healthfully and don't drink alcohol.

Edited by Bookish Angel

If you haven't tried a spinning class, you might give it a try on your cruise. Its fun to try new things, if you've never tried it yet. The only negative is it does cost a little ($10 or so.) I like group classes and do them at home. I find it more motivating than working out on my own. However, I do like running on my own so I also try to get in the track a few times during the cruise. I don't work out as much on a cruise as I do at home, but I try to do it at least 3 or 4 times during a 7 day cruise. I wait until I get home to do weights/abs, etc. Wait, I do bicep work, as in lifting food and drink to mouth.

Keep up the good work!

Koohiichan

I actually work out more on a cruise than I do at home! Many times at home, my schedule is too crazy to work out as consistently as I would like, so on a cruise, I love having time for a 3-5 mile run every morning, in addition to taking the stairs everywhere. I get into more of an exercise routine on vacation than I'm able to at home!