Health Risks On Infinity

lschnauz

Take this as a WARNING!

Just off Infinity, unsanitary conditions on board. Bathrooms dirty, dirty dishes not picked up. My husband and I developed Coughing Conditions, and when returning home to our own Doctor, were immediately sent for Xrays, other tests, I have Pneumonia, and my husband terrible Bronchitis. We did go to the Med Center 4 times, to the tune of $700, this would have been okay, but we were given all the wrong Meds. Our own Doctor was shocked at the prescribed Meds.

In any case, we have been on about 20 Celeb Cruises, but no more.

The "Bean Counters" have made a lot of cuts, it's is not the elegance of prior cruises, especially the food.

Hope now one else got this ill, there was a lot of illness on board, they should not have been allowed to sail out of FLL without the CDC coming on board. Good luck to those on the So American Cruise

I guess you're not going to cruise any line if getting sick is your main complaint. Every single line has had issues with various illnesses on board, some to the tune of hundreds getting sick. It seems not a week goes by when some ship comes back to port with more than a few passengers and crew sick. And these illnesses are usually caused by passengers coming on board sick, and nothing to do with ship appearance.

Might I suggest a pneumonia shot and flu shots before your next cruise.

Sorry OP and spouse got so sick...

this is a bad time of yr and lots of strong germs going around this yr. We were sick about a month before our cruise...finally got rid of the cough and had clean bill of health..

Unfortunateky, we.picked up coughs again on vacation...could have been infected on the plane, at the hotel or on the ship...lots of coughing all over..DH back on meds again!

Does not sound like the ship was at fault making people sick , It is a close environment where germs spread easily.......but it does sound like onbd med treatment was not the best!

We were on the Infinity just before you. We sailed from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego. I saw nothing of what you mentioned. Everything was sparkling clean. I find it hard to believe it got so dirty between the time we got off and you got on. There were some people on our cruise who were coughing but I didn't hear of anyone getting very sick. However, that being said, any time you have that many people in an essentially enclosed space for that long, people are going to get sick. People are sick before they even get on the ship, people pick up illness from the plane flight and/or airport, people pick up illnesses while they are off the ship and bring them back on. You cannot in any way blame this on the ship. That's like saying your home is dirty because you caught a cold.

We were on Infinity October 1 to October 27 (back to back Harwich to Fort Lauderdale). No issues. But we weren't on the OP's cruise so I will not take him to task on his experience.

First of all, I am sorry both you and your husband have been ill.

When you mentioned the Infinity I thought you were going to post about the Noro. We were on her last year and Noro was a problem. My DH unfortunately succumbed to it.

But you were citing respiratory difficulties and we can relate to those too. We disembarked mid November from another line and the respiratory illnesses were a real problem. We were sailing in a group of 18 and I was the only one who did not get sick. I think this was probably about the average on board too. BUT we were in Canada for five days before we sailed and people were coughing and wheezing everywhere we went. They were also ailing in our home town in October before we left. This has not been a good year for respiratory illnesses.

Shipboard illnesses, as you know, are related to confinement and absolutely no cruise line is immune - none.

Is the Infinity my favorite ship - not by a long shot but the sanitary conditions you described will eventually be reflected in her next inspection report.

Please don't abandon the entire cruise line, the grass may not be much greener elsewhere if you choose to sail at this time of the year.

I was on the same cruise and developed a cold as well. But the more logical explanation is due to the heat/humidity outside and the air conditioning inside - and going between to the two extremes on a daily basis. Unless you stayed inside the ship the entire time...

Never saw a dirty bathroom and there were plenty of sanitizer stations placed around the ship, before the dining rooms, in the bathrooms, getting off and on the ship.

So sorry the OP took I'll and was displeased with the medical center, but blaming the ship is a bit of a leap. were you on a plane? did you take shore excursions, meet a guide or a bus driver? shop in town? you caught your diseases from someone, theres no way to know who. But you can be sure that the bronchitis and pneumonia didn't come from plates or bathrooms.

Sailed on Infinity Sept/Oct. found the ship to be very clean. I always wipe down our cabin and balcony to try and keep germs at bay. Did find the plane (US air ) to be basically filthy.(use lots of Purell and wipe down your seat, tray table magazines etc.) my DH has breathing issues so I try not to take chances so we make sure that we have a shots up to date before getting on a plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Take this as a WARNING!

Just off Infinity, unsanitary conditions on board. Bathrooms dirty, dirty dishes not picked up. My husband and I developed Coughing Conditions, and when returning home to our own Doctor, were immediately sent for Xrays, other tests, I have Pneumonia, and my husband terrible Bronchitis. We did go to the Med Center 4 times, to the tune of $700, this would have been okay, but we were given all the wrong Meds. Our own Doctor was shocked at the prescribed Meds.

In any case, we have been on about 20 Celeb Cruises, but no more.

The "Bean Counters" have made a lot of cuts, it's is not the elegance of prior cruises, especially the food.

Hope now one else got this ill, there was a lot of illness on board, they should not have been allowed to sail out of FLL without the CDC coming on board. Good luck to those on the So American Cruise

Sorry about your illnesses, but we have been on Infinity four times in the last 3 years and did not see anything like what you describe.

It is soooo easy to blame everything on "Bean Counters" and cuts in service.

Sorry, we have been cruising for four years and have not experienced any changes in service (cuts).

If you had a problem with an uncleaned bathroom, did you call the room attendant?

Sorry you both got sick.

Dirty dishes, don't know what to say.

Getting sick is gonna happen. Since my grand kids started school we seem to be passing a cough around for the last month.

Hey the bright side is maybe we will be amuned by our January 18 Milli cruise. :)

Edited by tomcruiser1234
Spelling

Hi LSCHNAUZ,

Sorry to hear that both yourself & Hubby have been ill

And while on vacation too... That sucks

Plain & simple answer... IT IS FLU SEASON

People are going to get sick with Influenza, Colds, and Respiratory Issues

It cannot be blamed on the ship ... Or even good old Hot & Cold (ie Caribbean Heat & Air Conditioning) which is a myth / old wives tale

It comes down to one person having it and spreading their germs to others via the air... Coughing, Sneezing etc

It then naturally multiples because these illnesses are airborne

Sick folks should stay at home until they are better / not contagious... But they do not

Want to truly protect yourself (well as best as you medically can ) GET THE FLU SHOT

This is particularly important if you are going to be around hoards of people (you cannot control others behaviors) or in confined areas... Like Planes, Ships, Schools, Hospitals etc

Or most importantly if you are going to be socializing with those among us who have weaker ammune systems who are the most susceptable at getting sick (or dying ... More people die each year from Influenza than any other cause)... So babies, kids, those over 65, and folks being treated for Cancer etc

Everyone should do themselves & their fellow man a favour this Christmas Season... And get a Flu Shot

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I only ever get sick once a year and it's always on our annual cruise. I have very good habits, wash my hands regularly but I still get sick on a cruise ship. It just is what it is... Yet I keep booking year after year because it's my favorite way to vacation.

I was on the same cruise and developed a cold as well. But the more logical explanation is due to the heat/humidity outside and the air conditioning inside - and going between to the two extremes on a daily basis. Unless you stayed inside the ship the entire time...

These factors in themselves will not cause colds! There needs to be a cold virus present and that virus needs to be transmitted to the you for you to get a cold. Things like air conditioning and humidity can affect your sinuses and this might make you feel groggy

I only ever get sick once a year and it's always on our annual cruise. I have very good habits, wash my hands regularly but I still get sick on a cruise ship. It just is what it is... Yet I keep booking year after year because it's my favorite way to vacation.

Isn't that true...we always develope some sniffles

We were on the Equinox in April, 10 day caribbean. About half way through we started hearing coughing. Lounging around the solarium the last 2 sea days...coughing was EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Fortunately neither of us got sick but I just chalked it up as as lot of people in a confined space for an extended period.

Washy...Washy those hands.....

I am also quite careful on the ship....but unfortunately, we have to fly to some cruises and more often than not it's the plane, not the ship, where I pick up something that comes out on day 2 or 3 of the cruise.

I am also quite careful on the ship....but unfortunately, we have to fly to some cruises and more often than not it's the plane, not the ship, where I pick up something that comes out on day 2 or 3 of the cruise.

Actually, for me, it's the ship. I fly approximately 8 - 10 times a year for work and never get sick. There's something about being on the ship and each year I try to be more and more careful. Who knows, maybe this will be my year! I'll let you know, I board in 5 days! :D

First let me start with how sorry I am that you and your husband both got sick . Great way to ruin a vacation. However I would caution you not to blame it on Celebrity. I work in healthcare and this has been a bad year for respiratory issues in general and being in close quarters such as a cruise ship makes it easier to transfer the illness. this being said it could have happened on any cruise line. Hope your both feeling better soon.

Take this as a WARNING!

Just off Infinity, unsanitary conditions on board. Bathrooms dirty, dirty dishes not picked up. My husband and I developed Coughing Conditions, and when returning home to our own Doctor, were immediately sent for Xrays, other tests, I have Pneumonia, and my husband terrible Bronchitis.e

Please explain to me based on your extensive medical knowledge how dirty bathrooms or left dirty dishes can cause pneumonia and / or bronchitis.

DON

OP, here's an example for you. Dawn Princess currently has more than 200 passengers who are confirmed sick on a New Zealand cruise. So, as you see, it's not just Celebrity that can have issues with illness.

And as others have said, dirty dishes, unless they have a virus on them and you touch those dishes and then put your hands or fingers in your mouth or eyes, cannot make you sick. And neither can going in and out of air conditioning. Illness is caused by bacteria or viruses.

Edited by cruisead

Actually, for me, it's the ship. I fly approximately 8 - 10 times a year for work and never get sick. There's something about being on the ship and each year I try to be more and more careful. Who knows, maybe this will be my year! I'll let you know, I board in 5 days! :D

A plane has a couple hundred people and you are on there for a matter of hours.

A ship has a couple THOUSAND people (and more), and you are on a ship for a week or more. You also have much more contact with other people on a ship - even just touching handrails, chairs, tables, etc.

Many of those ships passengers have also traveled on a plane to get there, so anything they picked up on a plane (or at their office or grocery store) will have enough incubation time to be transmitted to others days later on the ship. They (or you) may not have been sick when you boarded, but got sick while on board due to something you picked up BEFORE you boarded.

Dirty dishes being left on a table can't cause coughing issues, pneumonia, or anything else like that.