Disappointing Cruise...Who can I contact?

NHcruiserguy

I do not book any cruise that contains a large group.

I was on a recent cruise to Alaska and one of the best areas on the ship for viewing glaciers was blocked off for a groups use while we were near the glacier.

That would really make me mad :mad: It is one thing to have the occasional venue closed but to take the best public area during a critical viewing time - I'd have been complaining.

I believe that any group over the 50% mark - and the line should notify everyone. I wouldn't want to cruise with 50% of the ship being taken over by any specific group.

I believe that the line has a moral duty or a pr duty to inform all of its passengers that a large group will be sailing with them--many years ago I booked a bicycle tour --Prior to my booking airline tickets I received a call from the mangement informing me that the tour was filled with a group from the state of Conn.and offered me the choice of a complete refund or a different week.After discussion they started a new tour at the same time which filled up --the two would meet periodically ---Had I been with the Conn. group I would have left the tour and flown home--Even the management thought that the Conn. group were rude etc

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

There's really no way to know in advance for sure if there will be a large group on your ship on Celebrity or any other cruise line. :o

LuLu

Correct, this cruise may have been obvious because it was on the roll call but it really is the luck of the draw, not real easy. Also, every cruise line does the same thing as far as notifying customers. If you call they will not tell you.

I believe that the line has a moral duty or a pr duty to inform all of its passengers that a large group will be sailing with them--many years ago I booked a bicycle tour --Prior to my booking airline tickets I received a call from the mangement informing me that the tour was filled with a group from the state of Conn.and offered me the choice of a complete refund or a different week.After discussion they started a new tour at the same time which filled up --the two would meet periodically ---Had I been with the Conn. group I would have left the tour and flown home--Even the management thought that the Conn. group were rude etc

Sorry to say but the cruise line does not have to tell you if a large group has been booked for a particular cruise or not. Their first priority is to the shareholders who invest in their company.

A large group brings in extra revenue and will almost guarantee them a full ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lots of assumptions here.

First, the OP has never said what cruise they were on and what the group was.

It very well may have been a Pied Piper group, but no one knows that for sure. And they SURE don't know enough to drop only mildly veiled remarks basically accusing the OP of being homophobic.

If the OP returns and posts more information, than we can intelligently discuss. Until then a lot are blowing wind. Especially those who have never been on a group dominated cruise and are basically saying, "well, you didn't do your research" and "oh, just suck it up."

As Don said, it can be a problem. Not always, but there is the potential.

Lots of assumptions here.

First, the OP has never said what cruise they were on and what the group was.

It very well may have been a Pied Piper group, but no one knows that for sure. And they SURE don't know enough to drop only mildly veiled remarks basically accusing the OP of being homophobic.

If the OP returns and posts more information, than we can intelligently discuss. Until then a lot are blowing wind. Especially those who have never been on a group dominated cruise and are basically saying, "well, you didn't do your research" and "oh, just suck it up."

As Don said, it can be a problem. Not always, but there is the potential.

The OP didn't say it was a Pied Piper group but someone else posting here that was on the same cruise has stated that it was.

IF you don't want to cruise on sailings with the Pied Piper group all you have to do is access their website, they have all their group cruises posted well into the future.

I don't care who the group is, if it's large enough to take over venues on the ship that I might want to use then I would opt out of that trip...........I was on a 3 night cruise to nowhere once that had about 1000 travel industry folk on it...glad it was only 3 nights because the whole ship was dominated by this group.......

The OP didn't say it was a Pied Piper group but someone else posting here that was on the same cruise has stated that it was.

The OP never said what ship they were on, so how would someone else know they were on the same cruise unless, again, they were assuming and speculating.

Celebrity embarks 11 ships virtually every week. They MAY have been on the same sailing but may not. They may have been in Asia or South America, both of which have BIG groups on some of the sailings.

The OP never said what ship they were on, so how would someone else know they were on the same cruise unless, again, they were assuming and speculating.

Celebrity embarks 11 ships virtually every week. They MAY have been on the same sailing but may not. They may have been in Asia or South America, both of which have BIG groups on some of the sailings.

The OP said it was a recent Silhouette sailing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

I think some folks are directing a lot of unfair accusations at the OP based on comments he never made. He said nothing about the specific group; rather, he said it was a very large group and that bars and pools were blocked. As a gay person, I did not take his comments to be homophobic.

If I had embarked on a cruise and learned to my surprise that there were many hundreds of people (or more) all booked with an affinity group, whatever the type of group it was, and that venues were blocked, I would not be a happy cruiser either. I don't know why so many people are dumping all over the OP; I suspect many if not most of you would not want to find yourselves on a ship with a huge group of which you were not a part, particularly if it meant that access to some venues was denied.

Yes, I get that cruise lines want to sell to groups, but there's a tipping point at which it's not fair to others and they should be notified. As for blaming the OP for not doing his homework -- as others have said, it's not always that easy to identify the fact that a group will be on a particular cruise. Maybe this one was easier for those who are experienced cruisers, but as a general matter it's not that easy to find these things out.

Edited by Turtles06

If I went on a cruise, and a venue or pool that I was looking forward to using was "off limits" to me, I would be VERY upset. I wouldn't care what group was booked, or how many people were in the group.

If I am not allowed to use a PUBLIC area that I want to use, that's a problem.

While I might be able to understand one bar or one restaurant closed for a private event, if there were large areas of the ship, or the POOL, closed to the public, I would be VERY upset.

Just ended my cruise on the Silhouette and was extremely disappointed. There was a LARGE special interest group on the ship taking up more than 50% of the cabins. Bars were blocked, pools were reserved...it was incredibly uncomfortable. If I had been given notice of a group this large being booked, I would have changed my ship/week. But because I was not able to do so, I had a miserable experience.

Who can I get in touch with that can address my concerns?

I feel bad that you did not like your fellow cruisers... If you look back at the Roll Call-- you would see that this was not a surprise booking.

There really is an advantage to investigating cruises here on Cruise Critic~ from researching the ship and the line to registering on "Roll Call."

After-the-Fact won't help you now and seeking another Cruise Line won't either. In fact, seeking another type of vacation won't do the trick either. Planes, Trains, Boats to Islands, Destinations and Resorts to small towns to cities.

At best you might get an On Board Credit for a future cruise.... just don't be disappointed if your request ends up with just a "We Apologize."

~Steve

I think some folks are directing a lot of unfair accusations at the OP based on comments he never made. He said nothing about the specific group; rather, he said it was a very large group and that bars and pools were blocked. As a gay person, I did not take his comments to be homophobic.

If I had embarked on a cruise and learned to my surprise that there were many hundreds of people (or more) all booked with an affinity group, whatever the type of group it was, and that venues were blocked, I would not be a happy cruiser either. I don't know why so many people are dumping all over the OP; I suspect many if not most of you would not want to find yourselves on a ship with a huge group of which you were not a part, particularly if it meant that access to some venues was denied.

Yes, I get that cruise lines want to sell to groups, but there's a tipping point at which it's not fair to others and they should be notified. As for blaming the OP for not doing his homework -- as others have said, it's not always that easy to identify the fact that a group will be on a particular cruise. Maybe this one was easier for those who are experienced cruisers, but as a general matter it's not that easy to find these things out.

Excellent post

I too agree, for most, it would be more about the size of a group vs what type of group

Googling most definitely will bring up larger groups on a cruise, maybe not so much smaller groups (as you say)

But then again, smaller groups usually don't impact a cruise to the same degree (venues / tone) as much as a larger group does

Which I read from the OPs post was their issue

And has been other Celebrity Cruisers in the past... The American Girl Cruise that happened also over a Thanksgiving timeframe several years ago comes to mind

And...

Most importantly / relative to this Posters Question / issue

Nothing in regards to informing or apologizing to Cruise Pax has changed since that timeframe in the industry

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The OP said it was a recent Silhouette sailing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

You are right. I need to incorporate reading into may skill set. And I assume that it was the sailing in question since they apparently just disembarked.

Edited by ECCruise

Just a heads-up for people who want to avoid big groups. Early December is when cruise line and resort sales people can offer their lowest-priced group deals and prices are low to begin with. It's one of the softest periods of the year for leisure travel since people are getting ready for the holidays and don't want to miss parties.

(And of course if you don't want to travel with hundreds of children, do not book anywhere close to spring break.)

Cruise lines do not tell people there's a big group blocking space early on because so many groups don't materialize and fall short of the organizers' forecasts.

(I speak from experience - worked as a cruise industry sales rep for years.)

I feel bad that you did not like your fellow cruisers... If you look back at the Roll Call-- you would see that this was not a surprise booking.

There really is an advantage to investigating cruises here on Cruise Critic~ from researching the ship and the line to registering on "Roll Call."

After-the-Fact won't help you now and seeking another Cruise Line won't either. In fact, seeking another type of vacation won't do the trick either. Planes, Trains, Boats to Islands, Destinations and Resorts to small towns to cities.

At best you might get an On Board Credit for a future cruise.... just don't be disappointed if your request ends up with just a "We Apologize."

~Steve

Again OP did not say he didnt like his fellow cruise mates. He asked who / how he could complain and all of a sudden everyone makes assumotions and adds their views and opinions about him / her and what they can expect. Just answer the question or dont reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

Again OP did not say he didnt like his fellow cruise mates. He asked who / how he could complain and all of a sudden everyone makes assumotions and adds their views and opinions about him / her and what they can expect. Just answer the question or dont reply.

I agree with you... Contact Captains Club 800-760-0654... They will be your best in hopefully resolving your concerns. Explain your situation, they should give you a future OBC at best but it may also be an apology.

Just realize this could be any cruise line so if you liked the cruise itself then stress this to your Captains Club Rep....

My other thought on this is that your Travel Agent should have a Celebrity Contact that oversees their territory... You should pursue that avenue as well.

Let's stick to the topic at hand not deviate from the specific question...

It is not the intent of our forum to promote an agenda, group, lifestyle or belief but rather ask, enlighten or reflect on cruise lines, activities, food, tours, excursions and all that cruising brings. For the Good and the Bad!

-Steve

Just ended my cruise on the Silhouette and was extremely disappointed. There was a LARGE special interest group on the ship taking up more than 50% of the cabins. Bars were blocked, pools were reserved...it was incredibly uncomfortable. If I had been given notice of a group this large being booked, I would have changed my ship/week. But because I was not able to do so, I had a miserable experience.

Who can I get in touch with that can address my concerns?

We always book a balcony stateroom. If the deck is crowded then we have our private space to read and relax. The cruise line is in it to make money so don't be surprised when this happens. As far as the bar goes we always tip very well so service tends to be excellent in any event. I'd suggest you get your drink then stand, smile and chat and make new friends. :)

Just a heads-up for people who want to avoid big groups. Early December is when cruise line and resort sales people can offer their lowest-priced group deals and prices are low to begin with. It's one of the softest periods of the year for leisure travel since people are getting ready for the holidays and don't want to miss parties.

(And of course if you don't want to travel with hundreds of children, do not book anywhere close to spring break.)

Cruise lines do not tell people there's a big group blocking space early on because so many groups don't materialize and fall short of the organizers' forecasts.

(I speak from experience - worked as a cruise industry sales rep for years.)

I would suspect the real reason they don't say is because it would make it harder to fill the space not taken by the group. A number of passenger would not like to sail with any larger group (I am in that category), others might not what to sail with the particular group. In either case the cruise line loses a percentage of potential passenger from which to fill the rest of the ship. The reality is most people don't search the Internet looking for their cruise to check for large groups, so as long as the cruise line doesn't say anything they won't know until they get on the ship.

Cruises sell to everyone...including large groups. If you don't want to sail with those groups, ask ahead of booking. It has happened to me. Cruise ships are so big that the large group usually is not bad. Or next time, rent a private yacht!

With all due respect, you're out of line here. Disrespectful of a poster's opinion and a bit inconsiderate

Well said

On my very first cruise they had a welcome back party for returning cruisers. I was not INVITED! In fact, I was turned away at the door. On another evening they had a party for those that had extensive cruising history with the cruise line. Again NO INVITE! I felt left out.

I suppose if they notified every passenger of every group ( and included past guest parties, weddings, private birthday parties, Cruise Critic groups, Friends of Bill W. etc) we could all choose whether or not to sail. But on some sailings, the past guests make up 50% of the passengers! Should I not sail because I will be shut out of these events? I guess only I can decide.

Really, where do you draw the line? Should all first time cruisers be advised before final payment they might want to cancel because there are too many frequent cruisers on this sailing which may take away your ability to use the showroom on night 2 of the sailing so they can have a repeat cruiser party which you will not be invited to.

Very well stated.

I was on a Pied Piper cruise once, though they had less than 500 passengers booked. They were a lot of fun, and we had a great cruise, but they did have several prime-time private events that closed venues like the pool and sky bar. For the pool party, both the pool and the deck above it were blocked off for hours. Most groups don't block off so much space in my experience.