Disappointing Cruise...Who can I contact?

NHcruiserguy

I suspect that that's EXACTLY it. I bet if it were a different group the OP wouldn't have been so "disappointed".

I see Your 2 previous cruises are with NCL -- ?

Your assumption is not based on any fact and is ridiculous.

I sympathise with the OP concerning blocked venues, our Sept. Canaries cruise on Eclipse had a large group on board, and prior to the cruise I was concerned this might happen. Fortunately only the theatre was involved and this only during the day, so although there were 800 in this group it did not really affect our enjoyment.

I would agree that joining the CC roll call is a good way to pre-check this possibility if you definitely do not want to be on a "themed cruise".

We had traveled as part of a large group on a December cruise quite a few years ago. Had a wonderful time, but remember thinking how annoyed I would have been if I didn't have access to the many venues that were closed to passengers other than those in our group.

People were being turned away when they wanted to enter one of the bars, etc. that our group was in and many were upset over this.

Reading this thread reminds me to check as much as possible to see if any large groups are booked for any of our upcoming cruises.

Again OP did not say he didnt like his fellow cruise mates. He asked who / how he could complain and all of a sudden everyone makes assumotions and adds their views and opinions about him / her and what they can expect. Just answer the question or dont reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

I'm guessing people just assume he didn't like the group, since he called it a LARGE special interest group, instead of just saying a large group, and sighting that it was incredibly uncomfortable.

I've been on cruises when there are large groups and when one venue is closed off, you just find another venue. Since they don't block off any venue for the entire cruise, there is still time to enjoy every venue.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I see Your 2 previous cruises are with NCL -- ?

Your assumption is not based on any fact and is ridiculous.

What does my previous sailing with NCL have anything to do with this? Since you're so concerned, I've actually sailed more, just not since I've been on CC.

Since the OP didn't mention any specific concerns other than his/her "extreme discomfort" with the "large special interest group" and there was a large gay group on-board, I'm confident in the assumption. Their gripe is thinly veiled at best.

Edited by Scott2.0

Just ended my cruise on the Silhouette and was extremely disappointed. There was a LARGE special interest group on the ship taking up more than 50% of the cabins. Bars were blocked, pools were reserved...it was incredibly uncomfortable. If I had been given notice of a group this large being booked, I would have changed my ship/week. But because I was not able to do so, I had a miserable experience.

Who can I get in touch with that can address my concerns?

the time to complain was while you were still on board. just having a large group on board taking over certain areas for X number of hours is not a valid reason to be owed anything.. but if said group was disruptive in public areas that were NOT reserved for their exclusive use, you have a claim.

but that has to be addressed AT THE TIME.

No need for that, you were not there and have no idea how disruptive the group was.

I WAS there and can say how disruptive the group really wasn't.

The group took over the AquaSpa pool one afternoon for 1 hour, from 3 to 4, on a port day, the same day as Liquid Nightlclub, when it would have closed early to prepare for that event. The times were listed in Celebrity Today. I could see how this might be considered disruptive, but it was scheduled on a port day when there would be the least use of the space and the least disruptive to others, and was only a 2 hour time frame.

They also did a private pool/costume party in the evening after the pools were closed. This could not be considered disruptive.

There as a mixer at the pool on sail away, after dark, from 7:30-8:30 that the pool deck was closed and at prime dining time, though in reality anyone was able to gain access. This may be considered disruptive for that 60 minute period of time.

They brought their own entertainers on board and used the theatre after the evening theatre was done, at 11 pm. This also was not disruptive.

They used Quasar one afternoon from 4pm to 7pm, a time of day the venue is normally not open for any activity anyway. Also, not disruptive.

Martini Bar added a side bar to handle the demand for drinks. This is the first time I've ever seen Martini Bar add a side bar, something that could be useful on any cruise in that location especially at pre dinner times, not just for groups. Not only NOT disruptive, but actually quite helpful.

The group never took exclusive control over any bar at any time, a small portion of Sky Lounge was used at embarkation to pass out paperwork, but remained open to all. A singles mixer was also in Sky lunge, but not exclusive, on Monday.

There were fewer people on this ship than typical sailings, with several open cabins, so there was no extra added work or effort required of staff. Bars were full at busy times, empty at non busy times. Just like on any cruise.

So I'd like to hear some specifics about what specifically was disruptive, as opposed to the OP's likely homophobia showing more than anything. It's clear to me with 99% certainty, he's talking about the 11/30 Sillie sailing as he posted he just got off the Sillie and it had a large group of more than 50% on board. Sillie docked Sunday, he posted Monday.

Edited by cle-guy

I do not book any cruise that contains a large group. Large to me means more than 5% of the ship passenger load. Such groups, no matter what they are, tend to lock up various portions of the ship for their activities and influence the feeling on the ship. When I say any group I do mean any political, sports, lifestyle, religious, etc.

I was on a recent cruise to Alaska and one of the best areas on the ship for viewing glaciers was blocked off for a groups use while we were near the glacier.

Your money is just as good as theirs, so if it was me I'd be complaining LOUDLY about it.

It's one thing to book, say, a specialty restaurant for a 2 hour block on one evening, it's another to push out other cruisers from viewing the sights.

I have sailed on a couple of cruises where there were large groups also sailing.

I have had the fun and non-opportunity to utilize some facilities when they would have been in prime time use. I have been excluded from a pool for about 2 hours when the group was having their own belly flop contest (male and female), then a large bar area was reserved for the whole evening (one night only)

Not sure how you get around this as I/anyone can be excluded if Celebrity, for example decides to sponsor an activity at the pool, etc.

At this point, I think it is somewhat hit or miss and you cannot fully get away from this as Group bookings are big business.

Finally, I can go elsewhere, another cruise line or even land based vacation and still no guarantee of full access to public areas at times I might want to use them.

So....... I go with an open mind and try to be flexible.

I too wish cruise lines would tell us, but then they know many cruisers would cancel that particular sailing.

Wow close pool for 2 hours just because of some group would make me mad. :mad:

Thank you, Curt, for taking the time to provide a different (and more detailed) account of how this group on this sailing was not as disruptive as may have been expressed by the OP. You were able to provide first-hand specifics that the OP chose only to reference in generalities.

This leads me to also believe the OP's true disappointment wasn't in a large group being on board, but the large group on board.

Thank you, Curt, for taking the time to provide a different (and more detailed) account of how this group on this sailing was not as disruptive as may have been expressed by the OP. You were able to provide first-hand specifics that the OP chose only to reference in generalities.

This leads me to also believe the OP's true disappointment wasn't in a large group being on board, but the large group on board.

You're assuming.

As for Curt's opinion, that's really all it is, "his opinion". What he sees as not so disruptive, may be disruptive to another depending on what they had planned to do.

For me, I enjoy sitting poolside in the evening at one of the bars because it's quiet. It very relaxing and usually not many people are around. I would find it quite disruptive if I was unable to do that during a cruise.

So while one person may not mind what's going on, don't assume that's the same for everyone.

The OP didn't say it was a Pied Piper group but someone else posting here that was on the same cruise has stated that it was.

IF you don't want to cruise on sailings with the Pied Piper group all you have to do is access their website, they have all their group cruises posted well into the future.

I don't care who the group is, if it's large enough to take over venues on the ship that I might want to use then I would opt out of that trip...........I was on a 3 night cruise to nowhere once that had about 1000 travel industry folk on it...glad it was only 3 nights because the whole ship was dominated by this group.......

I have to go to web site:cool:? Really? Why ? There is many groups I would not want to cruise with do I have to check them all ? Cruise line must make it clear to all passengers if big group is on board or it’s a theme cruise.

The group took over the AquaSpa pool one afternoon for 1 hour, from 3 to 4, on a port day, the same day as Liquid Nightlclub, when it would have closed early to prepare for that event. The times were listed in Celebrity Today. I could see how this might be considered disruptive, but it was scheduled on a port day when there would be the least use of the space and the least disruptive to others, and was only a 2 hour time frame.

They also did a private pool/costume party in the evening after the pools were closed. This could not be considered disruptive.

There as a mixer at the pool on sail away, after dark, from 7:30-8:30 that the pool deck was closed and at prime dining time, though in reality anyone was able to gain access. This may be considered disruptive for that 60 minute period of time.

They brought their own entertainers on board and used the theatre after the evening theatre was done, at 11 pm. This also was not disruptive.

They used Quasar one afternoon from 4pm to 7pm, a time of day the venue is normally not open for any activity anyway. Also, not disruptive.

Martini Bar added a side bar to handle the demand for drinks. This is the first time I've ever seen Martini Bar add a side bar, something that could be useful on any cruise in that location especially at pre dinner times, not just for groups. Not only NOT disruptive, but actually quite helpful.

The group never took exclusive control over any bar at any time, a small portion of Sky Lounge was used at embarkation to pass out paperwork, but remained open to all. A singles mixer was also in Sky lunge, but not exclusive, on Monday.

There were fewer people on this ship than typical sailings, with several open cabins, so there was no extra added work or effort required of staff. Bars were full at busy times, empty at non busy times. Just like on any cruise.

So I'd like to hear some specifics about what specifically was disruptive, as opposed to the OP's likely homophobia showing more than anything. It's clear to me with 99% certainty, he's talking about the 11/30 Sillie sailing as he posted he just got off the Sillie and it had a large group of more than 50% on board. Sillie docked Sunday, he posted Monday.

Curt -

Thanks for your report and glad to hear you had a wonderful time. I look forward to having the pleasure of sailing with you on any cruise, but especially a post-Thanksgiving cruise. :)

I have to go to web site:cool:? Really? Why ? There is many groups I would not want to cruise with do I have to check them all ? Cruise line must make it clear to all passengers if big group is on board or it’s a theme cruise.

Because while you think they "must" make it clear, the have no obligation to do so. What you probably mean to say is "should" make it clear. In the meantime, since it is clear they "don't" make it clear, as an informed consumer, and cruise critic user you can take matters into your own hand, and do a bit of research to avoid the situation.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Well if you want to NOT cruise with a large group, no matter who they are, then YES you have to do the due diligence and research and find out..... I don't depend on anyone but me to do my planning.....sorry if that's an issue for you. Would it be nice if Celebrity and every cruiseline had a web page that listed every group on every cruise, sure it would, but that's not going to happen so you either do the work or accept whatever groups may or may not be on board when you board.....:rolleyes:

because while you think they "must" make it clear, the have no obligation to do so. What you probably mean to say is "should" make it clear. In the meantime, since it is clear they "don't" make it clear, as an informed consumer, and cruise critic user you can take matters into your own hand, and do a bit of research to avoid the situation.

Happy sailing,

jenna

exactly!

You're assuming.

As for Curt's opinion, that's really all it is, "his opinion". What he sees as not so disruptive, may be disruptive to another depending on what they had planned to do.

For me, I enjoy sitting poolside in the evening at one of the bars because it's quiet. It very relaxing and usually not many people are around. I would find it quite disruptive if I was unable to do that during a cruise.

So while one person may not mind what's going on, don't assume that's the same for everyone.

Sorry... but a first hand account is NOT an opinion. It would stand up in a court of law where an "opinion" would not.

When people talk about "fair and balanced", I would consider Curt to be objective in his posts as well as very informative.

I'm not taking away from that minority of people that will continue to complain and howl about how they were terribly affected by a large group of people with organized events occurring sporadically on a cruise ship.

I was once on a 5-day Millennium cruise just prior to the ship going into dry dock for its "Solsticization". On this specific cruise was a "large" group from Pampered Chef. Apparently this cruise was their "thank you" present to the top sellers for the prior year. I thought the large group was interesting and we actually met some wonderful folks. However, I found all the prep work that was being performed by the ship staff for the dry dock activities to be much more invasive and restrictive and such prohibited me from enjoying that cruise as much as I would have liked to.

P.S. For the record, let me clarify that I was not "complaining" about the large group on my 5 day cruise... just using it as a past example that informed my "opinion".

P.P.S. To Sloop... thanks for quoting my post, and also, while I wasn't aware of the "going into dry dock" when I booked the cruise, I also did not put up a stink about it as I realized that I could have figured it out and chose not to let it bother me.

Thanks!

Edited by vulcan1971

Well if you want to NOT cruise with a large group, no matter who they are, then YES you have to do the due diligence and research and find out..... I don't depend on anyone but me to do my planning.....sorry if that's an issue for you. Would it be nice if Celebrity and every cruiseline had a web page that listed every group on every cruise, sure it would, but that's not going to happen so you either do the work or accept whatever groups may or may not be on board when you board.....:rolleyes:

I know it's never going to happen we only can dream about it . When did I said planning is issue for me:cool:? Some cruise lines DO post Theme cruises on line .