Itinerary for Alaska Cruise

Twinkd

Hi there - my husband and I have cruised to Alaska twice - both times on Radiance of the Seas and same itinerary - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway then Hubbard Glacier (first time to see what we wanted to do the next time :) ). LOVED LOVED LOVED it both times. We are looking at going again sometime next year but would like to do a different itinerary. Do any of the Cruiselines go to different towns. Want to do Northbound preferably from Vancouver as we want to do another drive around after the cruise.

Thanks for any help in advance.:)

There aren't a lot of different ports in Alaska, so you are going to have repeats. A little reading on the board would reveal there is Sitka, Victoria, Haines, Icy Strait Passage, Tracy Arm and perhaps one or two other lesser visited ports.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks for that - yes I do understand that there will be double ups but don't mind this as Alaska is so beautiful but was wondering if anyone knew what cruise ships went to the few different ports. Thanks.

Holland America does a true 14 day itinerary (w/no repeat ports like on a back-to-back), which stops at some little visited-by-cruiseship ports. I've sailed this itinerary 3 times on HAL's Amsterdam. In 2015 however, the itinerary will be done by the Statendam. The only downside for you is that this sailing is roundtrip from Seattle, so you wouldn't have the opportunity to spend some time on mainland AK as you would on a north or southbound route.

That said, this itinerary is wonderful. Here are the ports/port times I experienced on the May 18, 2014 cruise - Ketchikan (8AM-5PM), all day scenic cruising of Tracy Arm, Juneau (8AM-10PM), Icy Strait Point (7AM-4PM), Anchorage (long port time - 7AM-11PM this year), Homer (10AM-6PM), Kodiak (7AM-3PM), Hubbard Glacier scenic sailing, Sitka (9AM-5PM), and Victoria, BC (1PM-11PM). Something to consider if you are open to a RT Seattle cruise.

Agree w/previous posters who cited the port of Sitka - beautiful, as yet unspoiled port with so much to see and do. Probably one of the most magical sail-ins you'll ever experience in Alaska - with the harbor studded with tiny islands, Mt. Edgecomb volcano towering over the picturesque fishing town - just lovely! Sitka is steeped in Russian history and a beautiful Totem pole park to walk thru. We've enjoyed several small boat marine wildlife tours in Sitka (booked with Capt. Davey of www.puffinsandwhales.com) - seeing many whales, puffins and sealions, and amazing pastel colored starfish.

Good luck in your mission finding the perfect trip for you. As you know, Alaska is spectacular and keeps drawing many of us back - over and over again!

Holland America does a true 14 day itinerary (w/no repeat ports like on a back-to-back), which stops at some little visited-by-cruiseship ports. I've sailed this itinerary 3 times on HAL's Amsterdam. In 2015 however, the itinerary will be done by the Statendam. The only downside for you is that this sailing is roundtrip from Seattle, so you wouldn't have the opportunity to spend some time on mainland AK as you would on a north or southbound route.

That said, this itinerary is wonderful. Here are the ports/port times I experienced on the May 18, 2014 cruise - Ketchikan (8AM-5PM), all day scenic cruising of Tracy Arm, Juneau (8AM-10PM), Icy Strait Point (7AM-4PM), Anchorage (long port time - 7AM-11PM this year), Homer (10AM-6PM), Kodiak (7AM-3PM), Hubbard Glacier scenic sailing, Sitka (9AM-5PM), and Victoria, BC (1PM-11PM). Something to consider if you are open to a RT Seattle cruise.

Agree w/previous posters who cited the port of Sitka - beautiful, as yet unspoiled port with so much to see and do. Probably one of the most magical sail-ins you'll ever experience in Alaska - with the harbor studded with tiny islands, Mt. Edgecomb volcano towering over the picturesque fishing town - just lovely! Sitka is steeped in Russian history and a beautiful Totem pole park to walk thru. We've enjoyed several small boat marine wildlife tours in Sitka (booked with Capt. Davey of www.puffinsandwhales.com) - seeing many whales, puffins and sealions, and amazing pastel colored starfish.

Good luck in your mission finding the perfect trip for you. As you know, Alaska is spectacular and keeps drawing many of us back - over and over again!

OMG - that sounds wonderful - will definitely look into this. Thanks for all the wonderful information. Would absolutely love to visit Sitka - everything I have read has been so positive about the town!! Thanks once again. :)

Wow Glaciers, that is an excellent price! We had originally booked an oceanview for the May 18th sailing of this year, and the cost was $2199/pp. We ended up inquiring about an upsell offer to a balcony cabin about a week before sailing, and were given a super reasonable price so we took it. It is the first time I sailed this 14 day itinerary in a balcony and it was definitely nice! But we also greatly enjoyed the two previous sailings on this itinerary in an oceanview cabin. Heck, we'd even do this itinerary in an inside cabin if the price was right. HAL ships have lots of outdoor spaces, including the promenade deck so it is always easy and convenient to get outdoors quickly or for viewing glaciers or scenic sailing.

To the OP - you are very welcome for the information, glad to be of assistance. I do hope you are able to book this great itinerary - I don't think you'd be disappointed.:D

Part of the reason we began looking at this cruise, Assateague Island Princes, was based on your glowing reviews about it. Other’s as well. We’re also looking at a b2b starting in Seward so we don’t have to worry about air and can just drive to and from the port.

We were on the Statendam a couple years ago and were in cabin 421 right next to the exit to the promenade deck. Was very handy when the captain would make wildlife announcements as we could quickly step out on deck, although we didn’t spend a lot of time in the cabin. Turned out better than a balcony.

Assateague Island Princes - Wow - have just looked at the itinerary for the 14 day cruise and that is definitely for us!! Looks amazing and covers all the ports that we would be interested in and good long port calls. Would have preferred to leave from Vancouver only because we have a daughter who lives there - but Seattle it is (with a flight to Vancouver afterwards)!!!! Now to start all the research!! :o

I did a similar cruise on Princess (I think) a few years back except we also stopped Valdez. It was a wonderful cruise.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

Those able to late book, I saw this cruise listed at significant discounts several times this year. I am just off the Zaandam, with the mention that they are selling the Statendam, the end of next year, along with the Zaandam. Many good points with HAL.

Another port not mentioned above is Haines, which is another gem to also consider.

There aren't a lot of different ports in Alaska, so you are going to have repeats. A little reading on the board would reveal there is Sitka, Victoria, Haines, Icy Strait Passage, Tracy Arm and perhaps one or two other lesser visited ports.

If you can find a cruise that goes there, you can add Kodiak, Valdez, Wrangle, Prince Rupert BC as neat places to stop. If you are willing to take a small ship cruise, they stop at lots of neat little towns.

Also, if you regard the Alaska Marine Highway as a cruise (it is a ship, after all), you add even more small towns. I have always wanted to go out to Dutch Harbor on the Marine Highway.

You just have to do a bit of out-of-the-box thinking.

DON

Greetings. We are booked on the HAL Statendam for the 14 day Alaska cruise leaving Seattle on May 18, 2015. We have done Alaska several times but never this schedule. We are very excited about the smaller ports we will visit. And I am looking forward to cruising up the Cook Inlet to Anchorage. Book this cruise, we have a nice group on the HAL roll call site, we are from all over! I guess we never know what kind of weather we will have in May but who cares...we will be on a cruise! We choose a cabin on lowest deck, midship, its a nice place to be if the seas get rocking! Hope you can join us. Marian