Early Flight

Getting a little worried with a 10:50 am international flight after our cruise. Does anyone know if we can walk off early with our luggage ?

Hi,

I can not tell you much about Indy ...... the port and airport are very close ..... you can just about see one from the other ...... but the early walk off with luggage seems to be more popular and many do it.

I just got off the Vision ( Tampa) last sat. and there were ( in my estimation) 2 or 3 hundred or maybe even more people in line waiting with their luggage waiting for the early walk off ...... so it does take time ...... and when they did walk off another long line to clear the authority.

Are you flying out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

I took that as Independence in Fort Lauderdale. OP said an International flight which is why I questioned the airport.

OP is from Canada so a flight there from FLL, which are available, would be an international one.

Edited by robtulipe

OP is from Canada so a flight there from FLL, which are available, would be an international one.

I'm also Canadian from the west coast. I've taken 2PM flights and got to Vancouver by 6 pm to get a connecting flight anywhere in British Columbia the same evening.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I was on the Allure last month and had no problem getting off the ship dragging my own bags, but got held up in Customs for and hour and fifteen minutes along with everyone else, once outside the terminal had no problem getting a taxi.

We disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale in November. After you retrieve your luggage there are two customs lines - one for American residents and one for non US. The non US line comprised of about 30 people only- took 10 minutes! Cabs are running very frequently between ship and airport.

Request the earliest disembarkation time or do the walk off. We were at the airport before 9:30am! It's tight, but you should be OK.

It can be done.

But you must be one of the first to walk off.

You have to get thru customs, catch a cab, get thru airport security.

Mind you the only busy place at this hour will be ship customs, cabs lined up ready to go.................and at the airport should walk right up if you have your boarding pass.

Now also hope the ship arrives on time and clears.

Good luck.

Sea Ya

I did self-disembarkation when I was on Explorer in July, and it was a breeze, I want to say from the lounge they put us in, to my car it only took 20 minutes, and that was at Cape Liberty where it's not just walk right off, they have to shuttle bus you from ship to terminal and vise versa.

We are on the same cruise as you! We booked a 10:30 flight although not international! But I am still worried we will miss our flight! We are also doing self debark!! Fingers crossed!! I guess the worst situation is another day in warm Florida instead of cold Indiana! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll no changes can be made so guess we have to hope for the best !!! As long as I am at the airport checked in by 9:30 we should be good . Ships docking time is suppose to be 5:30'if all goes well

Make sure you check with your airline for their check in requirements. If you are flying Air Canada, they recommend you be checked in 2 hours prior to your flight. Check in and baggage deadline is 60 minutes prior to your flight. Getting to the airport at 9:30 for a 10:50 flight doesn't give you much time to make that 60 minute deadline if there are long lines or any problems.

Oops Fort Lauderdale off the independence on Jan 17 th

We had a 10:30 flight from Liberty of Seas in Dec from Ft Lauderdale and had plenty of time. We carried our on luggage off ship and grabbed a taxi and we were at airport by 9am. Just realized you said International, we had a domestic flight

Edited by jackie101

We disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale in November. After you retrieve your luggage there are two customs lines - one for American residents and one for non US. The non US line comprised of about 30 people only- took 10 minutes! Cabs are running very frequently between ship and airport.

Request the earliest disembarkation time or do the walk off. We were at the airport before 9:30am! It's tight, but you should be OK.

We just disembarked Celebrity Equinox two weeks go and they did away with separate lines for US and foreign. It really screwed it up for US citizens as they were fingerprinting and photographing every non resident. I hope they go back to separate lines.

We'll no changes can be made so guess we have to hope for the best !!! As long as I am at the airport checked in by 9:30 we should be good . Ships docking time is suppose to be 5:30'if all goes well

Just keep in mind that "checked in" and "through security" are two different things. I fly in and out of FLL all the time, and I've seen security lines that were empty, and security lines that were wrapped around the building.

Make sure you check with your airline for their check in requirements. If you are flying Air Canada, they recommend you be checked in 2 hours prior to your flight. Check in and baggage deadline is 60 minutes prior to your flight. Getting to the airport at 9:30 for a 10:50 flight doesn't give you much time to make that 60 minute deadline if there are long lines or any problems.

See above. The OP was planning to be checked in by 9:30, not be arriving at the airport by 9:30. Security is still a separate issue. :)