Cuba - Will Celebrity re-think their Caribbean deployments ?

Andy

Cuba IS open to tourism. It is a popular destination from the UK. As should be clear from Cruise Critic, the USA is not the only travel market in the world.

As this thread is about Celebrity ships, and their deployment, all of which service the caribbean out of a US-based port other than on a transatlantic or redeployment voyage, it's not a stretch for me to speak as to the majority of those passengers on the ship, US Citiizenss who are prohibited by embargo from visiting.

No slight was intended, I was just sticking with the thread title. I don't think it's necessary to add disclaimers for every available option when posting here. Frankly if people did, many threads would be far simpler to read, but in reality, it's not gonna happen, so one needs to infer the context of threads given the titles, and posters' locations and experiences.

Given the thread is about Celebrity deployment, Tourism is CLOSED to the majority of passengers boarding its ships headed for the caribbean, still is, likely will be for some time.

I believe X as a foreign flagged carrier could legitimately call on Cuba NOW, but it would be silly in that very few of its passengers could get off the ship.

I think the opening of Cuba will be the biggest stimulus for the Cruise industry since the "Love Boat". It will be a huge draw! I would be the first in line.

Interesting, you can already see it, RCL stock went up 6.62% today and CCL 3.46% just today! (wish I'd bought more than the 100 share of each I own :( )

It would be a pretty interesting new cruise itinery to include the largest island in the Caribbean to the 75% of over 300 million Americans who would like to go :p

I have been to Cuba countless times as a tourist and a former Flight Attendant over the past 20 years. Tourism there is definitely alive and well--the airports were always full of aircraft from many other countries (Canada, Europe, Asia). The resorts also never seemed to be lacking in guests. It is the destination of choice for many non-US tourists.

This being said, I'm not a big fan of the destination for my own reasons, and I highly doubt I would book a cruise that stopped there.

My two cents,

Shawn

As this thread is about Celebrity ships, and their deployment, all of which service the caribbean out of a US-based port other than on a transatlantic or redeployment voyage, it's not a stretch for me to speak as to the majority of those passengers on the ship, US Citiizenss who are prohibited by embargo from visiting.

No slight was intended, I was just sticking with the thread title. I don't think it's necessary to add disclaimers for every available option when posting here. Frankly if people did, many threads would be far simpler to read, but in reality, it's not gonna happen, so one needs to infer the context of threads given the titles, and posters' locations and experiences.

Given the thread is about Celebrity deployment, Tourism is CLOSED to the majority of passengers boarding its ships headed for the caribbean, still is, likely will be for some time.

I believe X as a foreign flagged carrier could legitimately call on Cuba NOW, but it would be silly in that very few of its passengers could get off the ship.

Celebrity, fully owned by RCCL an American company , cannot dock in Cuba the same as RCCL's Spanish line Pullmantur, which called into Cuba prior to 2006 when it was acquired by RCCL

I visited Havana in Nov 2011 on a small Spanish ship, the Gemini and know for a fact there were many US expats from Cozumel who did the same.

Hi Everyone,

With today's blockbuster news about the liklihood of allowing travel to Cuba.... here's an interesting question.

While this may not be a done deal... assuming this comes to fruition, will Celebrity re-think their Caribbean schedule, and change ships and/or ports around ?

Assuming this happens, I'd certainly think Celebrity will have a strong desire to have at least 1 or more ships visiting Cuba. Might Constellation's move to Asia be reconsidered ? Many potential pieces in this chess game.

Folks : Please refrain from political comments, as this is a no-no. Thanks very much !

Your thoughts ?

Way too soon.

Celebrity, fully owned by RCCL an American company , cannot dock in Cuba the same as RCCL's Spanish line Pullmantur, which called into Cuba prior to 2006 when it was acquired by RCCL

I visited Havana in Nov 2011 on a small Spanish ship, the Gemini and know for a fact there were many US expats from Cozumel who did the same.

RCCL is incorporated in Liberia. Just its headquarters are in the U.S.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The notion of adding Cuba ports to Caribbean itineraries is appealing, if only because the island is essentially unknown to the vast majority of American cruisers.

However Castro (Fidel or Raul) will need to create and operate a well designed tourist infrastructure, including addressing the terrible and visible poverty that exists all over the island, creating deepwater port facilities at the various ports of call (Havana, Santiago, Juventud, and even, possibly, Guantanamo). permitting local entrepreneurs to acquire modern transportation equipment to replace the ancient and unreliable school buses, and create activity based attractions for tourists.

On the last point, part of the fascination of visiting Cuba would be the opportunity to step back 50 years in time to experience what our parents and grand parents experienced when the toured Cuba.

RCCL is incorporated in Liberia. Just its headquarters are in the U.S.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They are incorporated there primarily for tax purposes. Doubt they have much more then a PO box in Liberia. They are headquartered in the US. The majority of their operations are in the US. Their primary stock listing is on US exchanges. Their corporate finance reporting is under US financial law. They have US based subsidiaries. They are bound by US law related to Cuba.

Carnival is the same. Even though they have shifted to Panama also for tax purposes.

The companies might be able to start going to Cuba without a change in US law, they would just have to move all of their operations out of the US, stop using US banks, and have their ships stop sailing out of US ports.

I believe it's only a matter of time and it will be an exciting port for that section of this boards community who have not been able to visit Cuba up until now.

The tourist infrastructure is well developed, yes shock that can happen in a place that does not get an immediate boost from the holder of the mighty dollar. It is also currently unspoilt, free from the large chain franchises that tend to follow those from the USA.

Virgin have been offering holidays there for several years, many of the hotels are very high standard and having seen photos it is a bucket list place for sure I'm probably going to promote it on the list to get there before it loses some of it's simplicity and gets spoilt

That is not what you wrote initially and to me you were clearly being much more general about tourism (or lack of) in Cuba, so I can see why Project_Gal commented to you the way she did:

Well, I wondered this same thing just a couple minutes ago....

But for now they are not opening up Cuba for TOURISM, so I don't see cruise ships parking there ay time soon, and thus no changes to current published schedules.

But in my other thread, I wonder about if they (Cuba) have the infrastructure in place to do so if it does open to tourism at some point.

I would like to get to Cuba one day, whether on or a cruise ship or as a land trip, particularly as it is a time capsule.

Phil

Actually you'd be surprised (or then again, maybe you wouldn't) how many Americans assume that since they can't go to Cuba, nobody can go to Cuba.

Cuba is "open to tourism" for Canadians, Brits, Spaniards, certainly. But surely people recognize that Cuba opening to American tourism would increase the number of potential visitors by a factor of 10, which would require massive changes and expansion in infrastructure.

https://plus.google.com/photos/111068288242326437024/albums/5474880970318640065?authkey=CI7TmZq4uLzUHQ

Link to my Cuba photos.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nice pics. Thanks.

Ports as listed that are "destinations" as advertised by a cruise ship line that circumnavigates the island:

Havana - Cruise ship dock ready but like I said I was there back in 2003 and it was on what is now considered a small ship

Holguin - I'll be there in a few days and check out if they dock or tender. I will be arriving by air.

Santiago De Cuba - don't know tender or dock

Cienfuegos & Trinidad - don't know tender or dock

Punta Frances on the Isle of Youth - Cruise ship Tender I'm sure as it was in 2003

Somebody here on the cruise critic must know somebody who's been to all these places and can fill in a bit on the potential for destination ports?

Nice pics. Thanks.

Ports as listed that are "destinations" as advertised by a cruise ship line that circumnavigates the island:

Havana - Cruise ship dock ready but like I said I was there back in 2003 and it was on what is now considered a small ship

Holguin - I'll be there in a few days and check out if they dock or tender. I will be arriving by air.

Santiago De Cuba - don't know tender or dock

Cienfuegos & Trinidad - don't know tender or dock

Punta Frances on the Isle of Youth - Cruise ship Tender I'm sure as it was in 2003

Somebody here on the cruise critic must know somebody who's been to all these places and can fill in a bit on the potential for destination ports?

Here is a link to the My Cuba Cruise thread. It was started in 2013 but if you start near the most current postings you should find reports of people who have returned and can give you some info on the ports.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850565

Edited by Christine Frances

I believe it's only a matter of time and it will be an exciting port for that section of this boards community who have not been able to visit Cuba up until now.

The tourist infrastructure is well developed, yes shock that can happen in a place that does not get an immediate boost from the holder of the mighty dollar. It is also currently unspoilt, free from the large chain franchises that tend to follow those from the USA.

Virgin have been offering holidays there for several years, many of the hotels are very high standard and having seen photos it is a bucket list place for sure I'm probably going to promote it on the list to get there before it loses some of it's simplicity and gets spoilt

Wow, I guess it would be best if none of the American savages visit.

Before any large cruise ships from US PORTS enter Cuba the US will have to alter the current regulations dealing with the strict programs that must be part of any visit, since the Cuban infrastructure that provides the needed person to person and educational programs the US requires is not up to handling large numbers of visitors.

Currently anyone from the US can visit Cuba Via Air since the relatively smaller number of visitors can easily take part in the group programs approved by the US as far as their content and size..

Non US visitors are not required to fulfill any such requirements and enter freely by any means of transport.

The newer policy does not seem to address any of the above issues but instead deals with easier visits for relatives, journalists, business, personalities and the such as well as now allowing increased spending in Cuba for those allowed along with the ability to bring back Cigars and Rum..LOL

Drop all the tourist requirements and let us spend our money at local privately owned restaurants, craft shops, bars and any number of the numerous small enterprises the people of Cuba are not opening. Let us stay on our cruise ship and not have to spend our cash at Government owned venues.

Seems more like the US is looking more at profits and tax money from a new market (not a bad thing) while ignoring the value of boosting the local people up a few notches. That type of GOOD WILL is invaluable to the creation of a good neighbor, especially one only a few scant miles off our southern shore.

OMO

bosco