Cuba - Will Celebrity re-think their Caribbean deployments ?

Andy

I would love to go to Cuba. I had a friend go and she thought it was fantastic. She did say that the resorts are amazing, but the areas where the locals live is in need of much improvement.

In the 90's tourism surpassed Cuba's traditional export industry, sugar, as the nation's leading source of revenue. Cuba has 3 million tourists a year and if they stay at their word (The Cuban government has established safeguards designed to ensure that tourism and other development do not result in significant environmental impacts. The development of new tourist facilities and related infrastructure in Cuba must, among other things, proceed in accordance with Cuban environmental laws and policies), then hopefully Cuba will keep their country as quaint as it is and, hopefully they will take the revenue made off any new tourism and help the people of Cuba.

I would love to go to Cuba. I had a friend go and she thought it was fantastic. She did say that the resorts are amazing, but the areas where the locals live is in need of much improvement.

In the 90's tourism surpassed Cuba's traditional export industry, sugar, as the nation's leading source of revenue. Cuba has 3 million tourists a year and if they stay at their word (The Cuban government has established safeguards designed to ensure that tourism and other development do not result in significant environmental impacts. The development of new tourist facilities and related infrastructure in Cuba must, among other things, proceed in accordance with Cuban environmental laws and policies), then hopefully Cuba will keep their country as quaint as it is and, hopefully they will take the revenue made off any new tourism and help the people of Cuba.

Eco tourism is amongst the best in the world in Cuba since so much of it is protected and even the areas that aren't are for the most part the way they were before Columbus.

I'll be in Eastern Cuba in a few days, and first visit to that end of the island, and I've been told the further east one heads, the more rural and wild it gets.

Hey I just thought of another port that may open up someday when things normalize.

Guantanamo Bay could easily accommodate ships and is at the east end of the island! :p It's right beside Cuba's huge Parque Nacional de Baconao, east of Santiago de Cuba, which already serves tourists. I'm not kidding. Some day in a better world it will happen! :D:)

Kuba-Karte_Baconao-Park_0.jpg

DirtyDawg I must assume if you go to Glasgow you will only eat Haggis and imbibe Irn-bru?

Though deep fried Mars bars are a local specialty as well.

Irn-bru's not bad, a wee bit sweat for me but 'When in Rome....!';)

As for Haggis, once was probably enough for me. But serve me enough Scotch and anything could happen!:D Then it's off to do some Caber Tossing.... and then to the Chiropractor.:p

As for Cuba, I hope you're right and it stays authentically Cuban.

Have a great Holiday Season!

Edited by DirtyDawg

Try the fiery stuff. Irn-Bru have the very best commercials:)

Phil

:D:D:D Brilliant!!!

Thanks Phil

Now I'm going to have to watch Austin Powers again. Mike Myers might have been born in Canada but his humour was definitely from his Scottish Dad.

The race is on - who will get there first? The U.S. Embassy or Diamonds International?

Seriously, it will take time to build the infrastructure to receive cruise ships - docks and markets. I grew up with Cuban neighbors and friends in Florida and always heard how beautiful it is. I'm not sure a cruise stop will satisfy my curiosity, but it would be a natural (and much needed) destination to spice up Western Caribbean routes.

I wonder how their government will handle the immediate burst of small-time free market entrepreneurs competing to snag a few cruiser dollars?

Also need to note that the Cubans who emigrated in the late 1950's and early 1960's lost everything - nationalized businesses, personal effects, everything. Their voices should be heard in all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder how their government will handle the immediate burst of small-time free market entrepreneurs competing to snag a few cruiser dollars?

There have been free market entrepreneurs serving the travel industry for quite some time. Just because Americans can't go there doesn't mean there is no tourism. Many of the large European chains such as: Sol, Melia, Barcelo, TRYP, Riu and even a Sandals have built big beautiful hotels.

Canadians, Russians, Germans, Spaniards are visiting in huge numbers already along with travelers from all other countries EXCEPT the USA.

Cuba is huge and there are multiple cities that could potentially become cruise port destinations.

FYI there is already one cruise line that does a circumnavigation of Cuba.

http://www.yourcubacruise.com/#

I realize this is a smaller ship but it shows that it's already happening.

Using google images check out: Sierra Maestra cruise ship terminal at Havana, Cuba

Edited by monicajay

The race is on - who will get there first? The U.S. Embassy or Diamonds International?

Seriously, it will take time to build the infrastructure to receive cruise ships - docks and markets. I grew up with Cuban neighbors and friends in Florida and always heard how beautiful it is. I'm not sure a cruise stop will satisfy my curiosity, but it would be a natural (and much needed) destination to spice up Western Caribbean routes.

Also need to note that the Cubans who emigrated in the late 1950's and early 1960's lost everything - nationalized businesses, personal effects, everything. Their voices should be heard in all this.

There are many small businesses in cuba operated since reforms began there after the fall of the USSR.

The war is over, one side of my family who fled after the revolution, recognize that and we have decided that it be a waste of time demanding back the land we lost in Boston and New Hampshire. :p

monicajay, that round Cuba cruise sound very interesting, but the ship is owned and I believe operated as a charter by Louis Cruise.... I couldn't talk my wife on another Louis Cruise again if it was free. We Were on the Sea Diamond before it's last sailing... and we weren't surprised at what happened.

Edited by A Sixth?

US embassy has to be funded by Congress???????

The race is on - who will get there first? The U.S. Embassy or Diamonds International?...
The US has had a de facto embassy in Havana since 1977 - it just happens to be known as the United States Interests Section of the Embassy of Switzerland in Havana, Cuba. It is the building that held the US Embassy until it closed 1961. I think I'm correct that the US has more Foreign Service Officers in Havana than any other country. Seems like all the US has to do is change the sign on the gate, and the Embassy is in place. When Rubio talks about not funding a US Embassy in Havana, either he is blowing smoke or is a lot less informed than I think he is.

The US has had a de facto embassy in Havana since 1977 - it just happens to be known as the United States Interests Section of the Embassy of Switzerland in Havana, Cuba. It is the building that held the US Embassy until it closed 1961. I think I'm correct that the US has more Foreign Service Officers in Havana than any other country. Seems like all the US has to do is change the sign on the gate, and the Embassy is in place. When Rubio talks about not funding a US Embassy in Havana, either he is blowing smoke or is a lot less informed than I think he is.

I'll venture that Rubio is very well informed.... about where his votes come from at the very least. ;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

And Congress can defund the US Interests Section....

And Congress can defund the US Interests Section....
Yes, Congress could do that in future years, but it would be virtually impossible to defund monies already currently obligated. USINT Havana has served the interests of the US government for 36 years under three Democratic and three Republican Administrations. I would hope that we do not undercut the interests of the US to placate a small group of people who, although they may be US citizens, have primary interests and allegiances that lie elsewhere.

Thom

Yes, Congress could do that in future years, but it would be virtually impossible to defund monies already currently obligated. USINT Havana has served the interests of the US government for 36 years under three Democratic and three Republican Administrations. I would hope that we do not undercut the interests of the US to placate a small group of people who, although they may be US citizens, have primary interests and allegiances that lie elsewhere.

Thom

Just passing on that Congress can defund, no comments on their functions.

The US has had a de facto embassy in Havana since 1977 - it just happens to be known as the United States Interests Section of the Embassy of Switzerland in Havana, Cuba. It is the building that held the US Embassy until it closed 1961. I think I'm correct that the US has more Foreign Service Officers in Havana than any other country. Seems like all the US has to do is change the sign on the gate, and the Embassy is in place.

You are correct. I have spoken with the de facto embassy several times and from what I garnered in my conversations they are all for dropping the silly regulations concerning visits to Cuba.

As to any deal in the works it does not seem to really address loosening the restrictions but only allowing certain Cuban goods to be brought back to the U.S. by those visitors who visit with the current regulations already in place.

bosco

Dec 19 (Reuters) - Carnival Corp, the world's largest cruise operator, said Cuba would present "a tremendous opportunity" if the United States ended its economic embargo on the Caribbean nation.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-corp-sales-miss-pricing-153817328.html

I bet they are all salivating to get a chance to sail to Cuba.

A Sixth? I just realized you'er from the West Island. Before my family moved to Toronto we lived in Beaconsfield.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Dec 19 (Reuters) - Carnival Corp, the world's largest cruise operator, said Cuba would present "a tremendous opportunity" if the United States ended its economic embargo on the Caribbean nation.

Well, DUH! Of course it would present an opportunity....for all cruise lines.

(Response to Carnival Corp, not you). ;)

Edited by Aquahound

We live in Canada and have been to Cuba 7 times. Tourism is one of their main sources of income. I think you would be amazed at their resorts and beaches. The Cuban people are wonderful. It is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean for tourists.

I have heard that Cuba has wonderful resorts and it is safe on the streets, but one must realize:

1) Cuba is still a Police State

2) The hotels may be first class, but all the money goes not to the people, but rather to the government and military.

3) Cuba has one of the highest proportions of political prisoners compared to population in the world.

There are many democracies in the world and the Caribbean where your tourist dollars will go to the people. I do hope that we can someday visit Cuba, but I would like to see it as a democratic state first.

I have heard that Cuba has wonderful resorts and it is safe on the streets, but one must realize:

2) The hotels may be first class, but all the money goes not to the people, but rather to the government and military.

3) Cuba has one of the highest proportions of political prisoners compared to population in the world.

There are many democracies in the world and the Caribbean where your tourist dollars will go to the people. I do hope that we can someday visit Cuba, but I would like to see it as a democratic state first.

You are certainly free to avoid Cuba until it becomes a democratic state. Others are free to visit prior to it becoming a democratic state.

And others are free to visit it even though it may never become a democratic state. Like people who visit Saudi Arabia etc. etc.

...Cuba has one of the highest proportions of political prisoners compared to population in the world.

There is wide disagreement over who is a political prisoner, and almost all countries have political prisoners by someone's definition. But there is little doubt that Cuba does have a high number of political prisoners per capita (perhaps even higher under Castro than under Batista) and an atrocious incarceration ratio of 510 per 100,000 (but then again the incarceration ratio in the US is significantly higher at 707 per 100,000).

I too would like to see Cuba as a democracy, but I'm not holding my breath, as democracy is an all too rare occurrence in Cuban history. It certainly was not a democracy under Batista or any of the Presidents who came to power by military coups, nor was it when it was governed by future US President Taft or by US General Wood. Cuban politics (like most) has always been messy, and I don't claim to know all the ins-and-outs of Cuban government, but in many if not most countries the national police apparatus (and especially the secret police) come under the Ministry of the Interior. I don't think it coincidence that the founder of the first major anti-Castro organization was Rafael Lincoln Diaz-Balart, who had been Under-Secretary of Interior under Batista. Diaz-Balart had been a school roommate of Fidel Castro, and introduced Fidel to his sister who became Fidel's first wife and mother of Fidel's oldest child before they divorced. After the Revolution the family became major leaders of the anti-Castro community in Miami asking for "restoration of democracy" in Cuba (as if Cuba under Batista was a democracy). Two sons of this family served simultaneously in the US House of Representatives (one is still serving). IMO this is a family food fight that has nothing to do with democracy and everything with who gets to control the goodies. And we, the US public, have been caught in the middle of this and lost our freedom to travel while being played for fools by people who are a lot more concerned about themselves and their own fortunes than they are about democracy, or with what is in the best interests of the US as a whole.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Thom

Canada, Europe, Asia and Latin America have many business dealings with Cuba and I think the Spanish hotel chain Melia would be very surprised to hear that the government and military were receiving all the money from their 27 luxury resorts in Cuba. As well as the Allegro, Iberostar and Brisas chains etc.