Cuba - Will Celebrity re-think their Caribbean deployments ?

Andy

Hi Everyone,

With today's blockbuster news about the liklihood of allowing travel to Cuba.... here's an interesting question.

While this may not be a done deal... assuming this comes to fruition, will Celebrity re-think their Caribbean schedule, and change ships and/or ports around ?

Assuming this happens, I'd certainly think Celebrity will have a strong desire to have at least 1 or more ships visiting Cuba. Might Constellation's move to Asia be reconsidered ? Many potential pieces in this chess game.

Folks : Please refrain from political comments, as this is a no-no. Thanks very much !

Your thoughts ?

Edited by Host Andy

Well, I wondered this same thing just a couple minutes ago....

But for now they are not opening up Cuba for TOURISM, so I don't see cruise ships parking there ay time soon, and thus no changes to current published schedules.

But in my other thread, I wonder about if they (Cuba) have the infrastructure in place to do so if it does open to tourism at some point.

But for now they are not opening up Cuba for TOURISM, so I don't see cruise ships parking there ay time soon, and thus no changes to current published schedules.

But in my other thread, I wonder about if they (Cuba) have the infrastructure in place to do so if it does open to tourism at some point.

Hi Cle-Guy,

I just heard that on the news, but one would think it's only a matter of time before they allow tourism, if this moves forward.

As for the infrastructure.... they apparantly have cruise ports/terminals, as other ships currently visit there. The bigger question is, whether they can handle huge cruise ships carrying thousands of passengers. Of course, tendering is always an option, until they are up to speed.

I suppose it's all a moot point, until tourism travel is allowed.

We live in Canada and have been to Cuba 7 times. Tourism is one of their main sources of income. I think you would be amazed at their resorts and beaches. The Cuban people are wonderful. It is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean for tourists.

It appears to be a win win. It would take the ship to the island and help the boat people defecting. They won't have to travel as far to be picked up by a cruise ship while making the journey. :D

happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Andy, I think it is only a matter of time when all the cruise lines will be cruising to Cuba but I am not sure they'll change their existing schedules. I certainly think that going forward they will include Cuba, providing that tourism this is part of the U.S., Cuba deal to normalize relations. Fingers crossed because I would love to see Cuba. Hopefully DH could even bring home some Cuban Cigars or better yet, buy one at our local stores.

Assuming travel restrictions are eased, cruises from the US still won't be allowed there. That, unfortunately, will require action by Congress. NOT political statement, just a fact.

However, if by some miracle Congress does lift the embargo on Cuba, then I think it'll take a solid year for any cruise line that sails from the US to be up and ready to go there. And in the beginning I could see it only being a few trips there to see how things go. 2-3 by each line perhaps?

The one good thing that will come from resuming full diplomatic relations is that families can visit one another. The other thing would be that US citizens could once again legally buy Cuban cigars and alcohol. :)

If and when the opportunity arises for ships to visit Cuba, I don't see X changing their current itineraries for the Constellation. Asia and the Middle East is a new and expanding market for RCI. They are going to slowly increase the number/size of their ships in that region. I, for one, am glad to see new options being offered in this area.

Edited by C-Dragons

YES... Cuba will happen

Canadians have been visiting for decades.

The Cruise Lines will definitely want to go there... As will their Pax (especially us Cdns who have been before)

Sure there will be some hold outs the "I'd never go to Cuba" folks who will forever see Cuba as something else...

But there are those like myself who are fascinated by the OLD Cuba... Those of us who are too young to remember / know it (lol, anyone under 60)

Cuba is a very beautiful country... As well as being culturally, historically, and architecturally interesting. It will be a popular Cruise Destination.

Hopefully it however will always retain some of that SIGNIFICANT charm and won't end up with a McDonalds etal on every corner (the downside to Tourism over development)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

While this may not be a done deal... assuming this comes to fruition, will Celebrity re-think their Caribbean schedule, and change ships and/or ports around ?

The short answer is no. Andy, all that happened today was a step toward more normalized relations between the 2 governments. The lifting of the embargo is facing a long, uphill climb that needs to be passed unilaterally and with bipartisan agreement. The South Florida contigent who have always been so vocal against lifting the embargo always seem to get traction and I don't see this going without a strong fight and some protest by them.

It will happen, but it will not be anytime soon.

As has been said the tourism industry is well developed in Cuba. We were looking at a week's holiday there just last night. I don't want to look at the prices again should my American cousins get to go there too! :eek:

If this goes through it will be boom time for the Cuban economy. The wealth that could be created is enormous! I work for an investment firm and a company that we have an interest in has a mine in Cuba. The stock is up 25% this morning.:D:D As we speak I'm trying to get my boss to open up an office in Havana - with me leading the way!!! I love Canada but hate the cold!

Un feliz acontecimiento! :)

Well, as someone who grew up watching "I Love Lucy" re-runs, I've always wanted to go to Cuba. All these years of cruising the Caribbean, we have sailed past that mystery-shrouded island dozens of times -- wondering what it would be like to stop there. :cool:

As far as when this will finally happen, I'll leave that speculation to others -- as my crystal ball is currently in the shop. ;) All I know is that I hope to be onboard as soon as RCCL puts up an itinerary with Havana on it! :p

We live in Canada and have been to Cuba 7 times. Tourism is one of their main sources of income. I think you would be amazed at their resorts and beaches. The Cuban people are wonderful. It is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean for tourists.

It's actually one of the safest countries on the planet.

I'll repeat:

Havana has a cruise dock, was there in 2003

Just by chance, before my cruise out of Miami I will be in Central Cuba... in a few days actually... :D:rolleyes:

It will be very interesting to talk to locals and officials alike on what they think about this.

My timing was pretty good on this one eh?

The view entering Havana

2vmsd9t.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Hi Cle-Guy,

I suppose it's all a moot point, until tourism travel is allowed.

Tourism is alive and well in Cuba, it's just Americans who are restricted from visiting. :)

As for American-based cruises stopping in Cuba in the future.... supply and demand. If it is allowed at some point, surely some company will send a ship there, and likely it will be a VERY popular itinerary due to the relative novelty of getting to visit Cuba. Any such cruise would likely command a premium booking price as a result, and other cruise companies would likely follow suit.

It would be especially appealing for shorter cruises that sail from Port Canaveral, Port Everglades and Miami because instead of being limited to Nassau, private islands and sometimes Key West, they could include a stop in Havana instead.

Posted by Kevin T Brown: Assuming travel restrictions are eased, cruises from the US still won't be allowed there. That, unfortunately, will require action by Congress. NOT political statement, just a fact.

My thoughts as well, Kevin. Since the embargo was passed by Congress all those years ago, it will take an act of Congress to remove it.

It would be nice to see Cuba, though.

Posted by Kevin T Brown: Assuming travel restrictions are eased' date=' cruises from the US still won't be allowed there. That, unfortunately, will require action by Congress. NOT political statement, just a fact.

My thoughts as well, Kevin. Since the embargo was passed by Congress all those years ago, it will take an act of Congress to remove it.

It would be nice to see Cuba, though.[/quote']

If anyone checks back, there are many threads on this subject over the years and they die shortly. This is not anything different as Congress has to change the embargo. Should also be noted there is bi-partisan support in Congress to continue the embargo.

You can also pretty much bet that nothing will be done before 2017, Florida is too important in the Presidential election.

Edited by dkjretired

Cuba IS open to tourism. It is a popular destination from the UK. As should be clear from Cruise Critic, the USA is not the only travel market in the world.

Edited by Project_gal

Back to Andy's Cuba original post "Will Celebrity re-think their Caribbean deployments ?"

As I recall when I was docked in Havana it wasn't a very large pier.

Sure, Havana Harbour is one of the largest in the world, I was on a 28,000 ton ship and I'm not sure if a much bigger ship would fit.

Maybe somebody who's docked there lately will add something, but I wonder if any major cruise operator has a ship small enough to fit at Havana.... there certainly is room to tender though! :D

It's actually one of the safest countries on the planet.

I'll repeat:

Havana has a cruise dock, was there in 2003

Just by chance, before my cruise out of Miami I will be in Central Cuba... in a few days actually... :D:rolleyes:

It will be very interesting to talk to locals and officials alike on what they think about this.

My timing was pretty good on this one eh?

The view entering Havana

2vmsd9t.jpg

Wonderful picture!!!:)