Why Royal Caribbean?

I have been on cruise critic for some time now. I have found it a great resource to help with my education regarding cruising. I have noticed a trend as of late and it is rather troubling. Threads about smuggling alcohol, how much soda you can bring aboard, how many people can be stuffed into an inside cabin, how expensive specialty restaurants are, how to get away without tipping the service staff and the ever popular, "can I get away with wearing a T-shirt, thong and flip-flops in the MDR on formal night? And if all of that wasn't enough we question why the cruise " experience" isn't what it once was. So I ask, why cruise? Why RCI? I happen to think that Royal Caribbean is a great vacation value and don't mind breaking loose some cash to pay for it. Rant over, thanks for your indulgence.

After the rollout of the Quantum I would ask the same question. Why Royal Caribbean? They are doing away with some of the staples that made them a true standout in the cruise in the cruise industry. No more Viking Crown lounge, no more main dining room, pay for hot items on room service and so-on, I am sure there are many more. I used to be a cheerleader for Royal, but after reading so many negative reviews of the Quantum I'll just stay away.

I've done over 30 cruises and after my last on the EOS I decided that the cruising industry has gone way down hill. Just not worth it anymore!!!

Going to do land resorts and not worry about big lines, Dynamic dining with poor food and service.

RCCL made a multi-billion dollar mistake on this class of ship and their super flawed dynamic dining.

Edited by skiman1

After the rollout of the Quantum I would ask the same question. Why Royal Caribbean? They are doing away with some of the staples that made them a true standout in the cruise in the cruise industry. No more Viking Crown lounge, no more main dining room, pay for hot items on room service and so-on, I am sure there are many more. I used to be a cheerleader for Royal, but after reading so many negative reviews of the Quantum I'll just stay away.

I've done over 30 cruises and after my last on the EOS I decided that the cruising industry has gone way down hill. Just not worth it anymore!!!

Going to do land resorts and not worry about big lines, Dynamic dining with poor food and service.

RCCL made a multi-billion dollar mistake on this class of ship and their super flawed dynamic dining.

Lots of things have changed in society over the past 15 years, not just in the cruise industry. In your rant, you point out that you have read many negative reviews of the Quantum, so you will 'stay away'. What sense does it make to 'stay away' from the entire company (RCCL) or the entire industry (cruising) because you have read some negative reviews on one specific ship.

Have you not read wonderful and positive reviews on other ships?

A multi billion dollar mistake? Kind of early to make such a claim...

From what I see, the cabin prices are still amoung the highest I see.

We don't know the per passenger fare they are colllecting with the add-ons for dinning etc.

We dont' the cost to run the ship.

The ship apprears to be sailing pretty full..

I remember when NCL introduced "Free Style" and now pretty much all ships have open dinning and some speciality resturants.

Time will tell... But I too will wait a while continue to read the reviews before I book the quantrum or any new ship for that matter...

But I too will wait a while continue to read the reviews before I book the quantrum or any new ship for that matter...

I have very little desire to rush to cruise on a new ship. I waited several years to cruise on the Oasis Class, and will wait again before cruising on the Quantum Class....but while I wait for them to work out all the bugs in the new deployments, I will be enjoying other ships.

I've been on RCL twice (once with DH) and also gone on Disney. Can't compare with other lines. What we love about RCL

• Ships are beautiful - marble staircases, the décor, theatre
  • Each bar / lounge is different (again decor)
  • Variety of activities offered
  • I know it's not for everyone, but we love the mega ships, where they are a city in themselves
  • Great service
  • Doesn't' feel overcrowded
  • First time going with kids, but did lots of research and see tons for them too
  • I compared with other lines such as Princess, and there seems like so much more to do on RCL
  • A true vacation

Yes, the standard cabins are smaller but not a huge deal for us. We'll make do.

And I know there is a lot of complaints about changes (e.g. dynamic dining, drinks not included...which BTW, non-alcoholic drinks were included 11 years ago on last RCL cruise). SO it'll be Dynamic Dining...we'll just go with it, and I'm sure it'll be fine. Not used to having to book dining and dinner, but I guess RCL is trying to make timings more flexible to meet each family's preferences.

Super excited for our RCL cruise.

Edited by LuCruise

I have been on cruise critic for some time now. I have found it a great resource to help with my education regarding cruising. I have noticed a trend as of late and it is rather troubling. Threads about smuggling alcohol, how much soda you can bring aboard, how many people can be stuffed into an inside cabin, how expensive specialty restaurants are, how to get away without tipping the service staff and the ever popular, "can I get away with wearing a T-shirt, thong and flip-flops in the MDR on formal night? And if all of that wasn't enough we question why the cruise " experience" isn't what it once was. So I ask, why cruise? Why RCI? I happen to think that Royal Caribbean is a great vacation value and don't mind breaking loose some cash to pay for it. Rant over, thanks for your indulgence.

I agree. This is why we give Celebrity an edge...seem to be fewer of these types of issues on Celebrity. It manages to maintain a bit of a classier vibe than Royal (which I really like for what it is, by the way).

I've been on RCL twice (once with DH) and also gone on Disney. Can't compare with other lines. What we love about RCL

• Ships are beautiful - marble staircases, the décor, theatre
  • Each bar / lounge is different (again decor)
  • Variety of activities offered
  • I know it's not for everyone, but we love the mega ships, where they are a city in themselves
  • Great service
  • Doesn't' feel overcrowded
  • First time going with kids, but did lots of research and see tons for them too
  • I compared with other lines such as Princess, and there seems like so much more to do on RCL
  • A true vacation

We agree on all but the mega ships.

We prefer the smaller vs the larger, and will continues to cruise on them, whether they be Royal, Celebrity or HAL, whenever possible. We have always had wonderful cruise experiences even if there were a few minor bumps in the road,

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I'm new to RCI but I liked the first cruise so much I booked two more. I like the idea of smaller ships vs the city at sea as when I cruise, I want to get away from the "city". On the other hand, many enjoy the huge mega ship experience. I see the cruise industry following a similar path as the airlines. Back in the day, flying meant first class type service, people dressed to the "9's" and it was quite expensive limiting it to the upper class. As all can see today, the airlines pack us in like sardines and unless you want to pay more, you sit crammed in coach. People complain about flying as cattle but they still pay. We can see the cruise industry has cut perks and you pay for what used to be provided for "free". Evidently the masses still flock to cruise. You can vote with your wallet and go elsewhere to other cruise lines but at the moment, DW and I are happy with what we pay for and get on RCI. We will be lucky if we can cruise once a year so from our perspective we have no complaints. For those who go multiple times per year, you will definitely see it differently than us.

I too have read the reviews on Quantum. I don't think it would appeal to me - so I will likely never cruise on it. No biggie. There are lots of people who will.

As long as Royal has a ship (preferably Freedom Class) going to Labadee - I'm a customer :)

50% of the threads started on here are mindless jargon, by people who are misinformed or just plain dumb. There are still great topics posted by honest folks who love cruising, and that's why I stick around.

For someone who hasn't cruised before, I would honestly steer them away from Cruise Critic. All they will read is how bad food is, how bad service is, this and that, etc etc and they probably wouldn't want to cruise after reading all this stuff!!!

I agree. This is why we give Celebrity an edge...seem to be fewer of these types of issues on Celebrity. It manages to maintain a bit of a classier vibe than Royal (which I really like for what it is, by the way).

This is what we are starting to think. I don't plan to book anything less than a Grand suite from here on. We are also looking into Celebrity due to the upgraded suite experience.

RCCL made a multi-billion dollar mistake on this class of ship .

Thanks for the chuckle! Thats the SAME thing a lot of people around here said about the Oasis class :rolleyes: Those ships would sink RCI! They will NEVER fill those ships! They will NEVER sail on that amusement park at sea!

Now, those are arguably the two most popular ships in the fleet and maybe even the industry :rolleyes:

Quauntum is new. Dynamic Dining is new. Yes, there seems to be issues but my guess is they fix those issues and Quantum class eventually becomes one of the most favored classes of ships sailing.

JMHO.

Thanks for the chuckle! Thats the SAME thing a lot of people around here said about the Oasis class :rolleyes: Those ships would sink RCI! They will NEVER fill those ships! They will NEVER sail on that amusement park at sea!

Now, those are arguably the two most popular ships in the fleet and maybe even the industry :rolleyes:

Quauntum is new. Dynamic Dining is new. Yes, there seems to be issues but my guess is they fix those issues and Quantum class eventually becomes one of the most favored classes of ships sailing.

JMHO.

If you really want a chuckle, check out the RCL stock price chart for last 3 months. Low is on Oct 15, the day Oasis left Southampton. Been on a tear ever since. Probably because of fuel costs, but it still makes me laugh.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I understand changing parts of the industry and the line that are flawed, but to change something that is perfectly fine is beyond me! After reading more about what Dynamic Dinning is, I can tell I don't like the idea at all. I don't understand what the point is, there was nothing wrong with the MDR experience, one I actually looked forward to every night of my cruise! The MDR on Explorer was absolutely breath taking, and we got used to eating at the same table with the same wait staff, by the end you really grow a bond with them! The menu was different every night, so we got to try new and different things everyday. I just don't understand how they just change it completely just because a few people don't enjoy the experience of the traditional MDR, there's nothing wrong with offering it as a "option" to those who wish to not eat in MDR, to have dinner in a similar way to the Dynamic Dinning, in like a specialty reaturant or something.

For anybody to try to get out of paying your tips is insane and so wrong to me. Those crews work so hard.

Agreed!!! A dinner out for a couple in a nice restaurant would cost more in a tip than the tips for all staff on the ship for a day. Why are people so against tipping the staff??

We haven't cruised where Dynamic dining is an option but am wondering, if it wouldn't have been better, to leave MDR dining as it is and change out the MTD into the differant restaurants. Since we cruise every 2 to 3 yrs, each one is like a new experience to us and enjoy the meeting of new friends, ports. RCCL has provided us the most enjoyment for all around cruising, and we have had wonderful cruises with Princess but prefer Royal. My DH & I cruise for the reasons stated above, and don't need a lot of extras. This is probably one reason why we haven't noticed all the changes, because we don't dine in the specialty restaurants.

I understand changing parts of the industry and the line that are flawed, but to change something that is perfectly fine is beyond me! After reading more about what Dynamic Dinning is, I can tell I don't like the idea at all. I don't understand what the point is, there was nothing wrong with the MDR experience, one I actually looked forward to every night of my cruise! The MDR on Explorer was absolutely breath taking, and we got used to eating at the same table with the same wait staff, by the end you really grow a bond with them! The menu was different every night, so we got to try new and different things everyday. I just don't understand how they just change it completely just because a few people don't enjoy the experience of the traditional MDR, there's nothing wrong with offering it as a "option" to those who wish to not eat in MDR, to have dinner in a similar way to the Dynamic Dinning, in like a specialty reaturant or something.

Of course you could always replicate the MDR dining experience by limiting your evening meals to just one or two dining venues and you might even find enough variety in the menus to avoid repeating items. We definitely have enjoyed the wait staff we experienced on our past RCI cruises, but we were not so put off by having a variety of complimentary dining venues to choose from on Quantum.