South america & antarctica

menea

Hi everyone this is just about my second post on CC although I read it often especially when I am getting ready to take a cruise or plan for one.

I am very interested in doing the South America and/or South America & Antarctica cruise that is currently being done by HAL on the Zaandam and I have a few questions if you all will indulge me. I have used the CC search feature and read almost all the post about the subject already but want a fresh view.

If I do the cruise in an Ocean View stateroom are there enough public spaces outside to get a good viewing of events?

If you were taking this trip would you do it from a stateroom with a balcony or would the stateroom not matter so much?

If you could only extend your visit one of the cities (Buenos Aires or Santiago) at the beginning or end of the cruise which would it be?

How far in advance should I be serious about booking it for a late 2016 or early 2017 passage?

All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

menea

Great questions. There is some lovely scenic viewing on this itinerary, so if possible, I would get a balcony but......if you do an ocean view, there are lots of places to view on this ship.

Santiago and Buenos Aires are both wonderful beautiful cities. The ideal thing would be to stay in the one pre cruise and the other post cruise.

They are both so beautiful with so much to see. Buenos Aires is considered to be the Paris of South America, but I found Santiago very lovely too.

If I had to choose I would probably tip the scales in favour of Buenos Aires.

I have done this cruise three times; twice from Rio to Valparaiso, and once from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

First and foremost---if you are going to go all the way down there, include the Antarctica portion! There is no place on earth like it, and you will never regret it. Why go all that way and not see the 7th continent!

At least two of my cruises had an overnight in Buenos Aires, and we could have spent at least two more days there, it was that interesting. I would much prefer to spend extra time pre/post cruise in that city than in Santiago.

I have done all the cruises in an inside cabin, but would have loved to have had an outside. A balcony is not necessary unless you will enjoy sitting out there during the cold weather portions (I would). There are lots of outside decks for viewing, and the bow will be open a lot during the Antarctica scenic cruising. There is a significant amount of viewing space on Lower Promenade, outside the Lido restaurant, and on upper decks.

I was saddened the last time because the loungers were brought in from the Lower Promenade, and the chairs from the Lido, when in Antarctic waters, and were not returned until we were almost back to hot weather areas. I could have sat out there all day if there was someplace to sit.

This is a difficult itinerary to pack for as you go from brutally hot, to comfortably warm, to very cold and possibly frigid, and back again. But it can be done!

I've always booked these cruises well in advance, like a year or more. But I think you can book closer to six months before and still get a good cabin selection, unless you have very specific desires for your cabin.

And last, a suggestion about timing your flights: plan to stay over at least one night on the way down, as the flight is a killer. And stay over at least one night on the way back, too. You will be up very, very early that last morning, and have a very long day before your flight leaves. If you stay over, you can sleep later the day of the flight, and may even be able to arrange a late check-out.

I kinda liked Santiago better than BA. However, that could be because we had a three day pre-cruise stay in BA and saw a lot, and only one and half day stay in Santiago and didn't see as much (but they have a lovely little artisan market where we went twice!).

We were in an Ocean View and it was totally fine. Our cruise was on the Veendam, though. We had access to lots of outside spaces so you shouldn't have any worries there.

Check your port times before deciding on direction. On our cruise, we found out that going from BA to Val allowed for a longer time in the Falkland Islands. That additional time allowed people to do a more distant penguin tour to Volunteer Point, in case that is something that appeals to you.

I would book well in advance. I, like Ruth, book a year or more in advance to ensure that I get what I want, and to be able to book the flights on points as soon as they are available. The pricing may be higher early on but you can always watch for price drops (until final payment) and get HAL to refare your pricing. If pricing goes up, at least you're booked in at the lower price.

I also agree with Ruth about Antarctica. I wanted to but we couldn't make it work the year we went. I'm kicking myself for not doing it and trying to figure out how to do it without that butt numbing flight! Oh, last piece of advice, try to book business class flights. It truly did take my well padded butt FOUR days to recover from the 10 flight from Houston to BA.

I did this trip on the Veendam four years ago and I would go again in a heartbeat. Absolutely include Antarctica. I was totally blown away.

You do not need a balcony for scenic viewing. We were upgraded to an aft balcony, but that only provides one view. I hardly spent any time there, especially when we were in Antarctica and Glacier Alley. For scenic viewing you want to be out on the open decks, such as on the bow or even higher. On the Veendam there was an observation deck above the Crows Nest and I ventured up there for some of the best pictures. The outside promenade deck is good for viewing as well as the aft pool deck.

As for extending your stay in one of the cities, I would take RuthC's advice. Given the cost of the cruise and airfare, a couple extra nights in a hotel is a drop in the bucket. We started in Buenos Aires and flew in two days early. We could have used more time there as we only saw a small bit of the city. Some people on our cruise came to Buenos Aires even earlier and did a two day trip to Iquazu Falls. We had an active roll call on that cruise and a bunch of us got together and went to a Tango show and dinner the night before the cruise.

We ended in Santiago and stayed over one night. That gave us almost two full days of sightseeing as our flight home didn't leave until 10 pm. The first day we did a tour of the city and the second day the Hop On Hop Off bus. I felt I saw enough of Santiago that way.

When I went, I followed RuthC's advice and it helped tremendously.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

We were on the Zaandam 2013 Antarctica Holiday cruise. This is a fantastic itinerary, one of our best cruises ever! I echo Ruth's advice. We booked a lower prom and took a last minute upsell to a verandah, which we really enjoyed for Antarctica. We also utilized the crow's nest and top outside decks for scenic viewing. People on our cruise were much kinder in sharing Crows Nest viewing than the obnoxious window hogs we experienced on Alaska Cruises. I think the overall excitement about Antarctica fostered comraderie among passengers.

I would also opt to stay in Buenos Aires....an amazing city!

I wrote a review, as did a number of cc members on our cruise. By all means take this cruise!

Karen

Hey, very interesting questions!

We booked this cruise two weeks ago for december 2015.

We booked this early, because balcony cabins will be too expensive for us (usually we love to Sit on our balcony) we booked an outside cabin. Very important for Us- the possibility to get out quickly!

So we choose da special room number...

I have a question to all who went there before: how was the sea?

Was it very rough ?

Greets from Germany

Janine

Was it very rough ?

We had over 40-foot seas on the way down (missed the Falklands) and calm as could be on our way back up. This is one itinerary where there is a VERY wide variance.

Was it very rough ?

Greets from Germany

Janine

Seas were fine when we went but they were really bad on the following cruise (Nov/Dec, 2010). I think there are videos on You Tube with waves hitting the Crows Nest.

But, since you can't predict what it will be like when you cruise, don't worry about it. Just be prepared for rough seas. Bring whatever items you need to combat seasickness, and know that HAL has some medication, and have a great time!

We had very calm seas going and some motion coming back, but not bad. Two cruises previous to ours was a really rough one and there was damage to the bow that was visible. Our cabin steward told us he had been very freaked out by that sailing, but they got through it. I wouldn't let it stop me.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Deb

I want to thank everyone for the great answers to my questions -- looks like I will have to go :)

menea

Do it!! Do it!!

We've done it three times - twice with Princess when they were still doing it and once with HAL on the Veendam. Great trips all, and it is still on our bucket list to do again.

We've done it with balcony and without. I must say the balcony was nice to be able to step in for a bit to warm up and then quickly back out. But, we also enjoy being able to move about the outside decks for viewing.

Just take lots of layers and packets of "Hot Hands". I made good use of lined Crocs with ultra heavy socks that kept my toes nice and toasty.

As for seas, we've not had a bad Drake crossing but on the last voyage, we did skip Ushuaia to make a run for Antarctica to avoid incoming weather which gave us an additional day in Antarctica.

As for BA vs Santiago, we've seen BA go downhill the last couple of times we've been there but enjoyed it none the less. We've also stay in Santiago and had a great time there. Coin toss for me, I think. OH yes, and we've never missed the Falklands due to weather or political stuff, even when doing the SA trip without Antarctica. Must be lucky on that one, me thinks.

Go and ENJOY!

Was it very rough ?

They don't call it the "Drake Lake" and the "Drake Shake" for nothing. I've experienced both on the same trip. Twice. Going over and coming back can be totally different.

I've made it into the Falklands once out of three attempts. (sorry that it wasn't more than that; it's a good port.)

We were on Veendam Jan 2011 with dfish and others we'd met through the roll call. We loved our ocean-view cabin, a little aft of midship, where we could go up the main stairs quickly to either side of the promenade, or to the stairs to the rear promenade where there were a few dedicated birders fascinated by the albatross gliding along behind the ship. The Antarctic days were long, cold but sunny. Don't forget sunscreen, and warm/windproof layers. There were just so many vistas of blue, green, grey, black, white that your brain and eyes would get a little overloaded, but how could I nap when there were penguins floating by our cabin window on an iceberg!

@menea

Back from South America on the Zaandam last month. We booked an OV about the end of September (yes, 2014) and took an upsell to verandah in late October or early November. I don't know if there would be empty verandah "mini-suites" to be upsold on an Antarctic cruise. We definitely enjoyed ours: I went in and out for photos and my mom bundled up and sat out there portions of many days. Plus just having a floor to ceiling window and the "sideways" orientation of the bed, makes the room seem so much roomier.

I can't really speak to the public spaces. We did sit in the Crows Nest a few times and my DH's favorite spot was the Explorers' Lounge, reading in front of one of the windows. But those weren't during the glaciers or sailaways, for which we preferred our own balcony. Guess we are in the minority, but we really don't enjoy wandering the ship, hoping to find a better view. When we sailed to Alaska (inland-passage) in an inside -- my mom had ONE spot she would go (I could always find her!) to drink coffee and shoot photos... not that much different than a well-placed balcony! When DH and I did Panama with a balcony/mini-suite, we used the balcony exclusively in the Canal despite all the recommendations to move around the ship. We figure, if you're moving around there is just as much chance you will MISS something as happen to be in a good spot for it.

As far as the Zaandam, the ship has very nice, and varied, places to sit/relax/enjoy a drink. Of the Statendam, the Norwegian Star, and the Zaandam, it is my favorite ship! We thought the ship was in good shape, and the crew/staff all seemed to be in good spirits and helpful.

If you were taking this trip would you do it from a stateroom with a balcony or would the stateroom not matter so much? After doing the last two cruises (Canal and Cape Horn) with a balcony cabin, I thought I was "ruined" for a lesser cabin -- but then we just booked an INSIDE for a Transatlantic/Western Med in April! The difference in price will go a long way toward paying for our excursions. It's always a balance! Most important is being on the ship.

If you could only extend your visit one of the cities (Buenos Aires or Santiago) at the beginning or end of the cruise which would it be? I wish we'd flown into Santiago a couple days early, but my husband booked the flights (with the HAL transfer) without my input! But that is me and my reasons (my mom and I have a forum-friend in Santiago, from a different forum!). We had a late flight out of BA so we were able to do an all-day excursion to the pampas on the first day, and the highlights of the city on the way TO the airport on the "half-day".

How far in advance should I be serious about booking it for a late 2016 or early 2017 passage? If you decide that your choice of stateroom is very important, book early. If you want a good deal, wait until final-payment day has gone by -- that's what we've done for all of our cruises EXCEPT the Panama in February of 2016... already booked -- because the placement of TWO ADJOINING CABINS was considered very important.

@ JanDom -- we had very good weather/seas last month (going on two months!), missed no ports, never soaked to the skin... but that was our good luck! Cape Horn is said to be the roughest piece of ocean in the world, statistically, and I read that the chance of missing Stanley on the Falklands was about 50%.

We had very calm seas going and some motion coming back, but not bad. Two cruises previous to ours was a really rough one and there was damage to the bow that was visible. Our cabin steward told us he had been very freaked out by that sailing, but they got through it. I wouldn't let it stop me.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Deb

These are exactly our thoughts ... like

there is no bad weather, there are only wrong clothes :)

It is still almost a year to go, but I am so happy to get the chance to go there :):)

How far in advance should I be serious about booking it for a late 2016 or early 2017 passage?

I just remember that HAL can't say yet if they are allowed to going to Antarctica in 2016/2017. Cause they told in 2013 that 2014 will be the last cruises, in 2014 they told 2015 might be the last cruises ... so you'll never know if they are not allowed to go any more some time.

I just remember that HAL can't say yet if they are allowed to going to Antarctica in 2016/2017. Cause they told in 2013 that 2014 will be the last cruises, in 2014 they told 2015 might be the last cruises ... so you'll never know if they are not allowed to go any more some time.

My 2011 cruise was supposed to be the last. I do hope they continue as I really do want to go back.

Debbie

Definitely recommend BA for the extended stay over Santiago. Loved BA with its historic charm, excellent restaurants, so much to see and do. Also agree with everyone about including the Antarctica portion as going there was almost a life changing experience. Will never forget the 8 penguins on an ice flow not 5 feet from the ship plus great lecturers! Totally amazing and one of our top wonderful things we have seen.

Always think about layering your clothes as you can always put on 1 more thing. With a few silk undershirts, cotton turtle necks, a sweater vest or 3, fleece jacket and a water proof shell jacket plus hat and mittens, I faced the cold weather and survived without an entire extra suitcase of warm clothing - and we are from FL.

Do not think a balcony is needed as the lecturers would announce "on the port side at 9:00 we have 3 whales breeching" so everyone would run over to the port side. We had an ocean view and had no complaints as we would find great places to view what was going around. We were blessed with calm seas and were able to get into all ports including the Fauklands so it is just chance. One issue for when you book the cruise may be booking your flights, so keep that in mind.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by take us away

My 2011 cruise was supposed to be the last. I do hope they continue as I really do want to go back.

Oh wow :eek: they already told that in 2011 ... I did not know this because we start thinking about a cruise like this in 2013 :o

We did this cruise last year at Christmas. It was fabulous. We stayed at Iguassu Falls pre-cruise. Our cruise left from Rio, so we stayed at the Brazilian side. You could stay on the Argentinian side (Iguazu Falls) pre or post cruise. It's a short plane ride from Buenos Aires. The tropical landscape is an excellent complement to the scenery of Antarctica.

This year, we had a trip to Hawaii planned. We just got back yesterday. At least 2 of 4 of us were wishing we were in Antarctica. We loved our Zaandam cruise that much.

Edited by boulders

We did the cruise on the Veendam in 2013 (januari 30th) and it was fabulous. We did the itinerary going from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and we indeed also did Antarctica. I still think about it very often. There are no words to describe it. You have to experience it to truly get a sense of how it is.

We had an OV room on the Main Deck in the middle, and it was a great cabin. We never had a cabin with a balcony before, so I can't do any comparisons, but the OV suited us fine.

I usually was out on deck all day, and there were so many good places to see everything. I found it never was a problem not to have an own balcony.

Our cruise originated in Buenos Aires, and we added a couple of days. There is so much to see and do. I loved it. We also went to Iguazu. We had an extra day added in Santiago as well, but we did not do much there. I really liked Buenos Aires alot.

In our case, indeed we were told that 2013 would be the last year HAL would offer this cruise, which is why we took it. I was suprised when the itinerary's for 2014 came out and the itinerary was there. And now it is 2015 and once again the itinerary is there. So I am not sure what you should do. Perhaps 2015 really is the last year, but then again....maybe not ;)

We were so Lucky with the weather!!! We made all ports, including the Falklands, and even in the ports where it rains more often than not (Ushuaia for one) we had the most beautiful weather. Puerto Montt was also the best: clear blue skies so the Osorno volcano was clearly visible, and that was an awesome sight. The crossing to and from Antarctica was pretty calm as well. I do get seasick, but we were lucky to have the weather we had.

If you are interested in seeing some photo's or reading about our cruise, I kept an extensive blog during the cruise (boy that really did cost me, internet packages were expensive, but worth it) and I also made some video's and put them up on Vimeo (downloadable if you prefer) and YouTube. I still have not finished them all, but the ones in highest demand are there, such as Falklands and Antarctica.

Have fun planning your cruise, this is the most amazing trip we have ever done.

Travel blog: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/ina01nl/1/tpod.html

YouTube channel:

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/insesa2013

Edited by monina01

I did this cruise in 2012, Santiago to Buenos Aires. I booked it in 2011. I wanted a cabin on the Lower Promenade so I could quickly get outdoors for pictures. When I booked, I got the last available cabin in the location I wanted. It was supposedly the last cruise to include Antarctica. When HAL added a cruise after it (Buenos Aires to Santiago), many cabins opened because people switched to that cruise.

I was happy where I was because I could quickly duck inside when I got cold. It was a good location because I could go to the bow of the ship and/or head aft to get a better picture.

Regarding the seas -- we missed several ports because of rough seas. The cruises before and after ours missed nothing. So, the seas can't be predicted.

Timing -- if seeing penguins is a major item on your "to do" list, consider a trip that places you in the penguin spots in January. According to the guides on our trip, birthing time is primarily January.

Please consider adding Iguazu Falls to your trip, either pre or post cruise. The highlights of the trip for me were Iguazu Falls, Antarctica and penguins. I spent 1 1/2 days pre-cruise in Santiago and 1 1/2 days post-cruise in Buenos Aires. Both were interesting, but Iguazu Falls was amazing!

- but then we just booked an INSIDE for a Transatlantic/Western Med in April! The difference in price will go a long way toward paying for our excursions. It's always a balance! Most important is being on the ship.

[/i]

Crystalspin -- thanks for the response I noticed in the roll call that we are on the same Transatlantic (DW and I are doing the 14 day portion). I look forward to seeing you at the Meet and Greet, I can use your help convincing DW that it is a great trip to take.

Thanks

menea