Anyone else aware of the new Real ID's for air travel?

firefightermom007

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Just saw this on the Homeland security website. They will start checking in 2016.

This is not new. It's been out there a while. The keys words are " will not occur sooner than 2016".

Before this is actually implemented, there will be a lot of additional information put out there so it won't be sprung on people without plenty of advance warning. The date has been delayed several times and probably will be delayed several more.

An interesting Q&A can be found at: http://www.nilc.org/document.html?id=1040

Several states have yet to implement changes from the REAL ID act of 2005, so either 2016 will be pushed back again or people from certain states are not flying.

This is not new. It's been out there a while. The keys words are " will not occur sooner than 2016".

The date has been delayed several times and probably will be delayed several more.

You do realize that 2016 is just next year, right? And that sounds JUST LIKE a Carnival announcement.

Edited by EZ4

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Just saw this on the Homeland security website. They will start checking in 2016.

No. It says they won't start requiring this BEFORE 2016. So needing one to board a flight COULD end up being in 2016, or it could end up being 2017 or 2020 for all we know.

Get a passport for a domestic flight?

Sure, why not? I always use mine.

I would never use my passport for a domestic flight. They are too expensive to replace if lost or stolen. Glad that this has already been addressed here. I know when I go in for my DL renewal I will be asking for this type of license. Hopefully they will not have the problems they did when they implemented the passport requirements - even though they gave us plenty of advance notice of the implementation date.

No. It says they won't start requiring this BEFORE 2016. So needing one to board a flight COULD end up being in 2016, or it could end up being 2017 or 2020 for all we know.

Sure, why not? I always use mine.

But you already have one and if necessary have it available. I was specifically asking would someone that didn't have one get one just for a domestic flight? I haven't gotten one for going on closed loop cruises so can emphatically answer that I wouldn't get one for a domestic flight (of course my state is REAL ID compliant).

For those that live in a state that has not implemented REAL ID compliant drivers licenses by 2016 (or whenever) and don't want to use a passport book, a passport card can be used for domestic air identification purposes.

Most states are compliant or have an extension. If you have a gold star on your DL, you are okay. If not, you'll likely get one when you renew.

For those that live in a state that has not implemented REAL ID compliant drivers licenses by 2016 (or whenever) and don't want to use a passport book, a passport card can be used for domestic air identification purposes.

Most states are compliant or have an extension. If you have a gold star on your DL, you are okay. If not, you'll likely get one when you renew.

Hmmm...here in California we have an extension for our DLs. However, DW just renewed hers in the last two weeks. No gold star. I don't see any problem as the HSA/TSA are not going to suddenly say 32 million Californians can't fly domestically. The extensions will go on for quite a while, or California DLs will be approved as is.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hmmm...here in California we have an extension for our DLs. However, DW just renewed hers in the last two weeks. No gold star. I don't see any problem as the HSA/TSA are not going to suddenly say 32 million Californians can't fly domestically. The extensions will go on for quite a while, or California DLs will be approved as is.

Found this for California:

The California DL/ID card stays the same; however, a REAL ID star is added to the right corner of the card if California decides to implement the REAL ID Act.

Google around and a lot of states are not implementing REAL ID in any sort of time frame the feds would like. There's a lot of concern related to privacy and a national id card. Unless the fed does something like requiring the states to implement REAL ID to receive highway funding, it's not happening soon. Until a majority of flyers have a gold star, they can't realistically require it for a flying ID. 2020 is probably optimistic.

If some one is worried about it, they can get a passport book/card, Global Entry, or move to a state that gives you a gold star DL. Me, I'll worry about it when I hear about people getting denied at the airport because their DL isn't REAL ID compliant.

Edited by CantanaLobo

Found this for California:

The California DL/ID card stays the same; however, a REAL ID star is added to the right corner of the card if California decides to implement the REAL ID Act.

Google around and a lot of states are not implementing REAL ID in any sort of time frame the feds would like. There's a lot of concern related to privacy and a national id card. Unless the fed does something like requiring the states to implement REAL ID to receive highway funding, it's not happening soon. Until a majority of flyers have a gold star, they can't realistically require it for a flying ID. 2020 is probably optimistic.

If some one is worried about it, they can get a passport book/card, Global Entry, or move to a state that gives you a gold star DL. Me, I'll worry about it when I hear about people getting denied at the airport because their DL isn't REAL ID compliant.

California is on the list as being a compliant state. I know here in Vermont DMV will issue a drivers license/ID that is not compliant if the requester does not present the documentation needed to meet the requirements of the REAL ID act. According the to the DHS website there are ten states/territories that are non-compliant:

Am.Samoa

Arizona

Idaho**

Louisiana

Maine

Minnesota+New Hampshire**

New York+

Oklahoma

Washington

Minnesota, New York and Washington offer Enhanced Drivers Licenses and EDLs are deemed to be REAL ID compliant. I know that some people have thought that by having a REAL ID compliant license that they have an EDL but this is not correct- they are two different critters.

But you already have one and if necessary have it available. I was specifically asking would someone that didn't have one get one just for a domestic flight? I haven't gotten one for going on closed loop cruises so can emphatically answer that I wouldn't get one for a domestic flight (of course my state is REAL ID compliant).

To each his own.

California is on the list as being a compliant state.

Not exactly. California has the * next to it on the list, meaning it is complaint with an extension. which would imply it would at some point lose that extension. As DW's DL is good for 5 years from next month, that would imply that extension is good for at least that 5 years. So DHS/TSA will be accepting Calif DLs for at least that period.

My DL has 4 years left on it. Will report back if my gets changed in 4 years.

Edited by CruiserBruce

"read-id" good gawd......I have a CDL with a haz-mat endorsement (which requires a background check and finger printing) along with a TWIC (transportation worker identification credential)which also requires a background check and finger printing)....so I guess I am covered. :roll eyes: (plus add in my global entry and there probably isn't much the govt doesn't know about me)