Freedom 12/28 NYE Cruise Review! - Never again!

Here is my review from Freedom 12/28. We stayed 2 nights in a Ocean front villa at the former Ron Jon Resort - now Holiday Inn Vacation Club - prior to the cruise. It was excellent. Weather was perfect. 2 Bedroom villa was big, clean, well appointed with a perfect view of the ocean and the jetty. Spent Saturday at the pool area was awesome! Lazy river, plenty of chairs, sun and shade, tiki bar, food service by the pool, nice big hot tub - but look out for the snakes - yes we had a snake slither right up to my husbands arm while he was in the hot tub - yikes!! We spent Saturday afternoon/evening on the huge double balcony, sipping cocktails and watching 4 ships sail away. We used their scheduled taxi service for $5 per person to get to the port. We should have arranged our own cabs to go at 9:30 am instead of 10:45. We were just in time to hit massive lines to check in - ugh! We should have spent the week at the Holiday Inn instead of boarding the Freedom. This is our 9th cruise - 3rd with the kids - and LAST with Royal. Yes - I complain ALOT in this review - but I had very high expectations for Freedom and left highly disappointed!

Sail Date: December 28 2014

Destination: Western Caribbean

Embarkation: Port Canaveral

What were we thinking. Holiday madness ensued on this broken ship. We called it the "every man for himself" and "hurry up and wait" vacation. RCL lost me completely after this trip. No attention to detail, just massive crowds of people milling from spot to spot, waiting in lines for everything, and a broken propeller that shortened port times - we were late into every port and it took at least an hour or more to get on and off the ship, especially with the tenders. Pathetic. Captain Tor continuously apologized for the "prop issues" and kept us informed of all the delays. Thanks - ha! Ship is dated and this was the last cruise prior to dry dock in January 2015. This was my 9th cruise - 2nd on RCL - never again.

Lets start with those port stops. We were late getting to every port, and left late from every port. This is unacceptable. Prior cruises in December 2014 were given large onboard credits to make up for the port times. This would have helped. And should still be an option. It is not my fault as a passenger that your ship is not functioning properly to make it to ports on time, and some financial amends should be made. Security getting on and off the ship at all ports was unacceptable, understaffed and horribly slow. We waited 90 minutes to board the ship again in Cozumel. No water, no shade!

Embarkation - check in went as well as I could hope with a party of 9, but it took us well over 2 hours to get onto the ship from the time the cab stopped us at the curb at 10:50 am. The greeting as we entered the ship was not a friendly "hello" or "welcome aboard" or a cold towel or glass of water (after waiting in line for 2 hours to board) - it was a squirt of Purell from a crabby woman and a slew of tables selling the drink packages with crew shouting out to use to get our drinks - which we already purchased in advance. This set a poor tone for the "welcome" to the ship. Rooms and public areas were worn and dated, lifting carpet in our room, aging mirrors with spots that need replacement in our bathroom, rust spots, dust and hair under the massage table in the spa ( I could see it through the hole in the massage table - gross) , bent and broken plastic plant décor, chipped dishes in the buffet, paint stained chairs on our balcony and the neighbors suite, urine/musty smells in the hallways, worn and faded teak railings - rarely saw anyone cleaning the ship - except for our room stewards who should be paid double for their excellent work all week! Our room TV was not functioning properly all week - we called 3 times about it. Finally on day 6 we were brought a replacement tv and remote and were able to access our bill online for the first time. Dirty windows and doors everywhere. The pub was dirty, had dried lipstick on my glass - more than once. Just felt like the ship was dingy.

Food - you know there is something wrong when the food in the buffet is better than what is offered in the main dining room. Terrible inedible beef, chicken and fish - very poor quality food in the main dining. Servers were overwhelmed with large tables and they apologized over and over for making us wait or bringing entrees out at different times - every single night. Not a fine dining experience at all. Rather uncomfortable and left us feeling like we were not getting a true cruise service experience. We should not be "feeling sorry" for the staff! Not one ice sculpture or fruit carving on the entire cruise! Not one "oh my - how wonderful" moment with regards to food or food service in the main dining room. Always felt like we were a bother to be served. Orders constantly wrong - especially with drinks that took forever to get. Props to the head of bakery - only food on board that was really well made and delicious.

Photo - took many wonderful photos only to arrive home and found only 17 of 250 photos on our CD we purchased for $300. Currently have spent 3 plus hours on the phone and emails trying to obtain the pictures. Do not have them yet. Unacceptable!

Entertainment and onboard activities - when your kids say - "mom this ship is worse than a Carnival cruise" you know it is bad. The evening shows were good. But the music by the pool was so loud you could not hear the person next to you talk. Walking by Boleros at night was a nuisance - just too loud we didn't even want to walk past let alone sit and listen. The rock wall hardly seemed open, and flow rider had selective hours and very long lines due to limited availability. Pool Towels - really a disaster - no towels in our room and no towels available poolside and on all port days. We ended up finding pool towels one night in the pool area and keeping them stashed away in our room to use for the entire trip - not acceptable - ever! This cruise was like a bad Vegas hotel. Super cheesy and just obnoxious. Sitting out at the pool was just annoying. Kids/Sports area was jammed to the gills most days with very long lines for golf, rock wall and flow rider. Frankie Valli show, Broadway salute "Marquee", comedians, all decent. Quest was ok - but former cruisers arrived and sat in the prime spots and basically took over the entire show - knowing all the "answers" in advance. Cruise "shopper" Jenna - on 2 channels on the TV at all times - so annoying stop please! - we actually turned on the channel to watch the 12 year old boys standing behind her and mocking her all through out her presentation - it was hilarious!

Cabin - We had aft balcony 8412 and 3 interiors 8399, 8397 & 8395. Great area of the ship - quiet. We spent the entire last day on our balcony in the sun. Three times on the last day in the early evening LARGE black smoke rose from the bottom of the ship up into the aft cabin rooms filling them completely with smoke. A few of us on the aft called guest services and we were all given different stories about the cause. We chatted back and forth with people on the balconies above and next to us. I asked to have someone call me back about "the cause" but no one ever did. With a "broken ship" this smoke was a huge concern to us. The ship was cruising along at 21 knots even though we were told the ship could only go about 19 knots - we were genuinely concerned something was wrong. Mart and Roberto our room stewards were the complete highlight of our entire cruise. They kept our rooms tidy, clean bath towels every day, fun towel animals for all of us, and a wonderful attitude of service and charm that we appreciated as guests. They were the ONLY members of the staff that really made us feel like guests!

Disembarkation - again, we called this cruise the "everyman for himself" and the "hurry up and wait" cruise. Staff was overwhelmed dealing with the sheer number of people. When people did not receive good service or any service at all they ended up doing whatever they wanted, cutting in line, throwing tantrums to the maître d or towel service person. On the last day we took off our own bags knowing full well that it was going to be a disaster to get off the ship. It took us from 7:45 AM until 10 AM to get off the ship and through customs - completely unacceptable. I could go on all day here about the sheer disappointment of our trip. Crew lacked service skills and any WOW factor was missing. Obviously service was much too much to ask from the staff - even pompous Dru the cruise director was annoying. We saw him while in the hideously long line in Cozumel to get back on the ship and asked him if we would make it on to the ship in time - he laughed and said "well they aren't going to leave without ME" - thinking only of himself and NOT the guests - unacceptable.

We will never again sail a ship this size or with Royal. I cant afford to spend this much time and money on a vacation company that is such a disappointment. 

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Deck 6 8412

We had aft balcony 8412 and 3 interiors 8399, 8397 & 8395. Great area of the ship - quiet. We spent the entire last day on our balcony in the sun. Three times on the last day in the early evening LARGE black smoke rose from the bottom of the ship up into the aft cabin rooms filling them completely with smoke. A few of us called guest services and we were all given different stories about the cause. I asked to have someone call me back about "the cause" but no one ever did. With a "broken ship" this smoke was a huge concern to us. The ship was cruising along at 21 knots even though we were told the ship could only go about 19 knots - we were genuinely concerned something was wrong. Mart and Roberto our room stewards were the complete highlight of our entire cruise. They kept our rooms tidy, clean bath towels every day, fun towel animals for all of us, and a wonderful attitude of service and charm that we appreciated as guests. They were the ONLY members of the staff that really made us feel like guests! Room needs TLC - the tv was not working properly, curtains were falling off, mirror in the bathroom chipped and worn, balcony dingy. Mattress was a 3 inch thin floppy thing with a bare egg crate topper. We slept fine, but the mattresses needs upgrading. The couch was faded and worn. Carpet lifting from the corners. View from Aft balcony outstanding. Combination of sun and shade was excellent. Enough room for 9 of us to gather and visit nightly at sail away. Minimal noise from crew area, and cabins above us could see onto our balcony. Didn't bother me, but it might bother some. No issues with soot other than the LARGE BLACK SMOKE CLOUDS on day 6 that billowed into our cabin 3 times.

Port and Shore Excursions

CocoCay

(4)

Probably our best port. We got off first so we could get chairs. This was not necessary. We were the only ship visiting, so we had plenty of room to spread out. GREAT snorkeling here if you go way out. We brought our own snorkels and shared. Also brought 2 floats and used our own - saved over $100 bringing our own stuff. Island was beautiful, clean and had plenty to do. Volleyball, kayaks, swimming in several different areas. Large water toys if you wanted to spend the $$. Vendors walk around selling the Coco Loco drink of the day for $9 with rum. They were very heavy pours. Food was good, ribs, chicken, burgers, fresh salads, desserts, all easy to access with no lines. Weather was excellent. Tender broke down while returning passengers to the ship - so of course we were delayed leaving - so we were late getting to Jamaica.

Cozumel

Snorkeling

Of course we arrived late - so once off the ship we didn't have time to take a taxi into town. We shopped across the street from the pier area then went to the bar at the soon to be open Hard Rock and had a beer. Went back to the cruise terminal area to shop - noticed several stores - probably half - that had their selling license suspended due to selling fake silver. Huge signs taped their display cases shut. Met up with Carlos and the Aqua Dream 2 catamaran for a snorkel tour.

Left late - but we weren't worried because it was a cruise ship tour. Had a short ride out to snorkel area and were given great instructions. Catamaran had lots of space for the large group and was clean and comfortable - with bathrooms. Snorkeled in 2 sports - very strong current, and minimal fish spotting. Water was beautiful and warm. Enjoyed complimentary rum punch, beer and margaritas on the cruise back. Very good! Once in port - saw a line out to the street to get back on the ship. It was 2:50 and we needed to be back on board by 3:30. We got back on at 4 pm. Waited forever for security to look for alcohol in everyone's bags. Of course we left late and waited and waited for missing passengers. No one from the cruise ship was informing anyone standing in line that we were fine, just left us all to worry.

Grand Cayman

(2)

Shopping and banks - and not enough time to do an excursion. No towels available on the ship anyway! Grand Cayman has lost its "island charm" of years past. Ended up at Margaritaville across from the port area having drinks and using the pool and hot tub. Should have stayed on the ship. Arrived late and left late due passengers who went into port and didn't make it back on time so the ship pulled away and stopped - and we all waited for them - for at least an hour!

Montego Bay

We booked with Ricardo because of his perfect rating on Trip Advisor. $780 for 90 of us - pre tip. We booked an outing to Blue Hole with Rafting and lunch. We were an hour late off the ship because of delays and had to cancel the rafting - and did not receive a refund at that time. After emailing Ricardo once home, showing the original email that included rafting - he did send me back $160 via Western Union to cover the rafting refund. It was New Years Eve the traffic on the island was horrible. I suspected this from the beginning and told our guide we needed to be back at the ship by 3 pm - thinking we would be lucky to get back by 4pm. Obviously the "no problem" reply I received didn't take into account the fact that I was serious. And of course we made it back to the ship at 4:28 - 2 minutes before the "all aboard". We for some reason stopped at the guides favorite "patties" shop in Ocho Rios to get food at our own expense which we did not request to do. Blue Hole was amazing. Look it up on YOU TUBE and see what all is there. We spent another $80 on 2 guides that helped us through the jumps and falls. I hate heights, but still did most of the jumps. The roads are poor in this area. There are lots of people selling pot brownies (big signs you cant miss them) and our guide had a baggie of pot stuck behind the wiper of our van at some point during the day. We passed on all opportunities for pot. No problem..man! On the way back to the ship Ricardo insisted on stopping at Scotchies to get our chicken to go. It took 20 minutes to get the chicken. We hit major traffic in Ocho Rios. We hurried on board, only to wait until almost 6 pm to depart because several other tours were stuck in traffic too. Sat on our balcony watching the sun set over Montego Bay.... again hurry up and wait! This was our first trip back to Jamaica in 23 years. It seemed much cleaner and safer than before.

So that's it - I know I know I sound like a whiner, but it really was the worst cruise we have ever been on. Still had a great time with my family and the near perfect weather - but I wont be spending my money with RCI again.:(

Edited by siestaclaud

That is too bad you had a bad time.

I cruised the Freedom just 2 months before you at the end of October. I did not notice any of your complaints re: worn carpet, dirty and dingy. It must have gone downhill in 2 months. And we thought the food was great.

I understand your disappointment about the shortened port stays. That is a valid complaint.

Maybe because this was our first cruise ever, we had no expectations and loved every minute of it. Didn't even complain about the 3 hour boarding fiasco and the fact we totally missed lunch because all the food venues were closed for the muster drill by the time we got on.

Sorry this cruise fell short of your expectations. I felt that way about my Allure cruise last April, but chalked it up to the fact that I decided I just don't like the mega ships. Anyway, I was wondering how New Years Eve was on the ship. Taking a NYE Dec 2015 because it is on my bucket list and like every cruise, I can't wait !:D Was NYE fun, what was offered, regarding parties, etc. Thanks for any info.

While in the line in Cozumel Dru the cruise director says: "well they aren't going to leave without ME!" Thinking only of himself and NOT the guests - unacceptable."

No flames here...although they might be hard to see with the "large black smoke clouds billowing into your cabin"....but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Dru wasn't serious and you just may have taken this the wrong way.:)

That was well written and enjoyable to read. Not that I enjoy the fact you had a subpar trip. Hope your flame suit is on though! [emoji33]

Ha! Thank you - go ahead flamers - flame away - I have already been burned by RCI - lol. Still working on the photo issue.......:confused::(:mad::(

While in the line in Cozumel Dru the cruise director says: "well they aren't going to leave without ME!" Thinking only of himself and NOT the guests - unacceptable."

No flames here...although they might be hard to see with the "large black smoke clouds billowing into your cabin"....but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Dru wasn't serious and you just may have taken this the wrong way.:)

I don't know how he could not have taken several inquiring passengers seriously. The line was backed up almost to the street through all the vendor stalls in the port - it was LONG. It was also hot! The $1 beer stand got us through the wait! It was well past "on board time" and not one rep from RCI came and let us know that everyone in line would not be late. We got in line 45 minutes before we needed to be on the ship. I just found him annoying all around. We had Alejandro on the Summit a few years back - he was so enjoyable and genuine. Spoiled us! They eventually opened the "crew" security line to let passengers through to speed things up. Still left very late.

Edited by siestaclaud

Sorry this cruise fell short of your expectations. I felt that way about my Allure cruise last April, but chalked it up to the fact that I decided I just don't like the mega ships. Anyway, I was wondering how New Years Eve was on the ship. Taking a NYE Dec 2015 because it is on my bucket list and like every cruise, I can't wait !:D Was NYE fun, what was offered, regarding parties, etc. Thanks for any info.

I agree with the mega ships, not for me- what was I thinking. NYE was a LONG day. We were in Jamaica - arrived late - so we had to basically re plan our day on the fly with 9 people. Then somehow our driver didn't understand that I really meant it when I said we wanted to be back to the ship by 3 or 330. So we were back with 2 minutes to spare and then sat for almost 2 hours waiting for other groups that did not make it back on time. We had a late dinner time - 8 pm. I recommend that. Should have taken a nap between excursion and dinner as I was tired from the day. Everyone was dressed for formal night. They provided hats and leis on the dining tables at dinner for everyone. We of course had to ASK for ours because our overwhelmed servers 'forgot" - oye! 2 parties started about 11 pm - one on the pool deck with a dj - where we went, and another on the promenade with a large balloon drop, and the captains toast and his band played too. They televised that by the pool for a while, also some of CNN was televised by the pool. Free champagne flowed from about 11:40 to midnight. Waiters passed it on trays in both venues. After dinner we went back to our room and changed into more casual attire, so we felt more comfortable hanging out on the pool deck. Our 7 kids that were with us had fun there too dancing in the new year. All ages - lots of adults jumping in the pool with their fancy clothing on. Even some people in the hot tub - which in hind site I should have done. Lots of photographers milling about taking all kinds of pictures. About 12:30 everything basically shut down - we headed back to the room and by 1 am the promenade cam showed that it was all cleaned up and empty of people. Fun night, just wish we had planned better with a nap! What ship are you sailing for NYE?

Edited by siestaclaud

Im not going to flame you. You are entitled to your opinion. I generally stay far away from "Never again" reviews but curiosity got the best of me since Im about to be on this ship soon.

I will say its a shame you are gonna let one "bad" experience on a "broken" ship sway you from ever trying RCI again. Freedom has a 86% approval rating and the majority of the bad reviews lately seem to be coming because people felt like they were deceived and not compensated for the late arrivals and shortened port times. I just got through reading another review about the New Years cruise and the people said the MDR food was wonderful :D its amazing how much things can differ from one persons perspective to another.

I just want to get on Freedom ASAP. She will be fresh out of drydock and all freshened up with new dining venues Ive never tried. I appreciate your review but I wont let it sway me from enjoying myself ;) It sure beats being at this office any day of the week!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Edited by ryano

Ugh, I am so sorry you had a bad trip. I agree with you: most of what you encountered was unacceptable!

I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that it was headed into drydock...you wonder, do they just not care? Not bother replenishing towels? That is insane.

I can understand a NYE cruise being more crowded, but they should compensate for that with more crew! You paid a premium to sail during this holiday, and the trip should reflect that.

I too hope you send a copy of this to RCCL. And good luck getting your photo $ back. Hope your next cruise is much better!

:eek:

Soooo, we just booked this ship for November. :rolleyes:

Is anyone confident these issues will be fixed during the dry-dock? I'm sure the propeller issue, but what about the worn down furnishing?

I hate second guessing. :o

Edited by dreday3

:eek:

Soooo, we just booked this ship for November. :rolleyes:

Is anyone confident these issues will be fixed during the dry-dock? I'm sure the propeller issue, but what about the worn down furnishing?

I hate second guessing. :o

Dont ever second guess Freedom of the Seas. She is one of the most popular ships in the fleet. The OP said Freedom was "dated". I have no idea what she meant by that but I was just on two years ago and I guess I didn't notice "worn down furnishings". Either that or they have completely worn her down in two years :o

From what I understand, the drydock will not only fix the propulsion issues but also will give Freedom a total refresh inside and out.

This ship is less than 10 years old and just underwent an extensive dry dock in 2011. Please dont stress out over one or even several bad reviews that mostly seem to be because of the propulsion issues and shortened port times.

Edited by ryano

I'm sorry that you had a bad cruise on your NYE cruise on Freedom. We too sailed her a few months ago and I have to say that I never noticed the wear and tear you describe...and we've cruised her several times in the last few years.

I would expect a holiday week cruise to be busier and more crowded than most other weeks. So I expect lines and delays. Especially in ports where there is almost always traffic issues. That's why we almost never get off the ship and always stay on and enjoy the amenities such as the rock wall or flowrider.

We just purchased our airfare for our end of August trip and we're set on Freedom. My kids can't wait go get back on her.

I can relate to your feelings of disappointment with this ship- I sailed on FOS Dec 7 and was extremely dissatisfied with my experience. We were not compensated, either. I thought for sure the NYE sailing would be compensated, given the premium prices. Good luck talking to corporate or anyone at RCI- they simply don't give a damn! I would be furious over the picture CD and would be demanding my money back. Have you posted anything on the Royal Caribbean FB page regarding the pictures? I won't be sailing RCI anymore after my cruise on Oasis (already made final payment), due to my experience on Freedom and the horrible customer service I have received. Sorry you had a disappointing vacation.

Edited by JinxyB

Wow what a difference a couple of months make. I absolutely loved the FOS in May. I found the crew the nicest of any of my cruises.

Sorry you had a crappy time but please don't judge because you cruised on one of the most crowded weeks of the year.

I was on this sailing, and while I don’t have all of the same complaints, I do agree with many of the OP's observations and opinions. This ship was FILLED to capacity, seemingly every bed in every cabin. It was filled with many first time cruisers who just did not have clue what was going on. This may have been a reason why no compensation was offered for the many changes in shortened port times. And it was insanely expensive. Yes I know it was NYE, but I’ve sailed NYE the past two years and this was way higher than the past two NYE cruises.

My main complaint is a combination of knowing there was to be shorted times in three ports and then RCCL waiting over an hour in several ports for one person to return to the ship. This caused us to be 1 1/2 hours late the next day for an already shorted port day. Then it happened again so we were late returning Port Canaveral. I would have loved the extra time in the shorted port day but I returned to the ship as requested. Not sure why 4500+ passengers were held up for 1. Several port excursions had to be cancelled because of a late arrival in Cozumel.

We found the entertainment to be good, but the food to be subpar. We sailed the Explorer the day we got off the Freedom and saw a huge improvement from the Freedom to the Explorer in regards to food.

We managed to do some quick snorkeling in the Cayman Islands, and went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. I was really glad I had not scheduled an expensive all inclusive for Cozumel as we ended up with such a short port day. Took a taxi and had a lovely day at Doctor’s Cave Beach in Montego Bay. I was so happy we were not docked in Falmouth .

The ship did a nice job with NYE parties in the Promenade as well as the pool deck. We opted for the upper pool deck and it was so nice to be outside under the stars.

We were not in a huge rush to get off the ship, had a low number (I think it was 4,) and were off well after 9 AM. I wish RCCL could have set up some sort of shuttle to take us from the Freedom to the Explorer.

OP – regarding the towels for port, just get them the afternoon prior at the pool and you’ll have them for the port.

This was our third NYE cruise and we are not sure we will do NYE ( on the Freedom) again. I am a frequent and experienced cruiser and know what to expect and also know when the cruise is "off" . Honestly, I don’t know why corporate made the decision not to compensate this particular sailing when RCCL had full knowledge of the mechanical issues that caused shortened port stays.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Holiday cruises: no way! I know it is harder to agree on date with larger groups, but staying away from holiday cruises should be on your radar for the future, as well as looking at things like 'just about to go to drydock' or 'first cruise after drydock' to add to your avoid list.

And a French winemaker philosopher told me one time 'Don't have expectations, only wishes'. It's gotten me through a batch of crummy travel experiences with a laugh. I have found time after time, that when I do have the highest expectations for things, those are my biggest disappointments. Still working on that!

You clearly had things to be annoyed at- the pictures!!! Aack, what a big huge pain. I wonder if there is a way for future people to check the CD's before leaving the ship- I think that would be a good tip for future cruisers- find a way to check those CDs before leaving the ship. Yes, it's a pain. But a bigger pain is to get the CD home without all the pictures.

Holiday cruises: no way! I know it is harder to agree on date with larger groups, but staying away from holiday cruises should be on your radar for the future, as well as looking at things like 'just about to go to drydock' or 'first cruise after drydock' to add to your avoid list.

And a French winemaker philosopher told me one time 'Don't have expectations, only wishes'. It's gotten me through a batch of crummy travel experiences with a laugh. I have found time after time, that when I do have the highest expectations for things, those are my biggest disappointments. Still working on that!

You clearly had things to be annoyed at- the pictures!!! Aack, what a big huge pain. I wonder if there is a way for future people to check the CD's before leaving the ship- I think that would be a good tip for future cruisers- find a way to check those CDs before leaving the ship. Yes, it's a pain. But a bigger pain is to get the CD home without all the pictures.

OttoCal

At booking and again at final payment we had full expectation, not wishes, to be taking a ship with no mechanical issues. I did not have overly high expectations, just normal expectations that the ship would be in working order.

M

I wonder if you could dispute the $300 charge with your cc since Royal didn't deliver as promised. I'd be livid with the photo cd issue and upset at everything OP had to put up with. And I'd probably not roll with Royal again given the choices he's got.

We sailed Freedom in October and weren't surprised about the subsequent azipod issue. We had a starboard side aft cabin and the vibration was like none we've ever felt on a ship. That said, the ship's condition was otherwise great including the service and food. I too would never do a holiday sailing because of pricing and crowds. It just seems like one problem just compounded another. We're actually looking forward to booking Freedom again post dry-dock.