Thinking of canceling cruise...

I have a 7 day eastern cruise scheduled on freedom of the seas for mid April. I'm thinking about canceling because my family has said they would rather do a week at Disney in December. We can't really afford to do both this year, so we need to choose. I booked this cruise last September, when I was having a very hard time. My mother was dying of stage four lung cancer, and I had some health problems that caused me to be hospitalized. I needed something to look forward to, so I booked this cruise.

So, now, my family wants to change our plans, which I am okay with...except that I've been putting off canceling the cruise. The thought of Caribbean sun, beaches, ect was what got me through some really hard days. I'm just not sure what to do, I guess. I can probably change my family's mind, if I wanted to.

Not sure anyone can help with this problem, but it feels good to type it out. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by LibrarianBecky

Have you ever been to Disney around Christmas time? I live only a couple of hours from Disney and have been during Christmas...never again, it's super busy and not relaxing at all.

So if it's relaxing you're into, I'd stick with the cruise. You will lose some money by canceling this close too, won't you?

Maybe you can transfer the deposit from the Freedom over to a Freedom cruise for next year sometime. (you can change until final payment which would be about 70 days out). Then, go with the family to Disney for a week this year. Vacations are about who you are with, not so much the destination. Although being on a ship in the Caribbean is one of the BEST types of vacations!! Then, you can try to budget for both vacations, and still have a cruise next year to look forward to!!

Edited by debshomespun

You couldn't pay me to go to Disney around Christmastime. And if you are dreaming of sun, it can be quite chilly in Orlando in December. Sounds as if you are getting voted over though. I would have chosen the cruise.

We would go first week of December, so lower crowds. We are far enough out that we won't lose money from RC, and I should be able to rebook flights from Southwest without issue.

That is a great week to go to Disney as far as crowds. I went that week and it was not crowded. The weather was perfect except that one of the six nights was a little chilly. That could be the only negative. The daytime temperature was perfect, warm but not hot. I would say Disney but that sounds like long time for you to wait for vacation after what you have been through.

Edited by Charles4515

Just as a heads up, we did Disney before our mid-December cruise this part year and it was the most crowded I have ever seen it. The decorations were beautiful, but there were hour and a half waits for almost every ride.

I'd cruise.

We have taken our 4 DDs on cruises each of the past 5 years or so on March Break. My DW has wanted to take the DDs (12, 10, 6, 6 this past summer) to Disney for the magic while they were young. We did that this summer in July to Disney World and to Universal Studios. Ever day, all we heard by noon was, I'm tired, can we go back to the hotel yet? NO, not after spending over $700 a day to get in the park! You are staying and are going to enjoy it!

The kids are over the moon that we will be on the Allure in a couple of months. As for our next Disney experience...nothing planned in the foreseeable future....maybe with the grandkids in 20 years or so, but for now, cruising it shall be.

I know this is not everyone's opinion or experience. We have Disneyaholics in the family who own points there and visit a couple times a year. (That said they had never done a cruise with their kids before til last March with us...now their kids keep asking when they are going on their next cruise....)

Nothing beats Disney...they KNOW how to entertain. Sorry...but I'd go for the theme park, prices being close.....Christmas cruises are expensive, and the cabin and food will not be close to what you get at Disney.

The OP's cruise is in April, not Christmas. Prices will not be close.

Good food at Disney? Really? I was just there recently and the food in my opinion was just OK and overpriced.

Standing in lines for a 1.5 minute ride is not my idea of relaxing. But all my kids are grown so my family situation is different. If you're doing a vacation to relax... then cruise. If you want to please some kids then go to Disney.

Sometimes we Mom's get to be selfish and choose what WE want! It doesn't happen very often, but once in a while the rest of the family let us put ourselves first. Maybe this is one of those times?

I'm with you on this one and I'm not a mom:). I'll take sailing in the Caribbean in April to walking my legs off in Disney anytime.

Edited by Jimmers

I was just at Disney with my family Dec. 8th - 15th. The temperature was in the low 40s at night and in the 60s during the day. The crowds werent bad at all, unless you wanted to go see the Osborne lights. That was miserable. The only other issue is experienced was the closing of the Magic Kingdom early some nights for Mickeys overpriced late night christmas party. If you go two weeks later when kids are out of school, the lines are ridiculous. The longest wait times i saw on the Disney app while we were there was 80min. I kept an eye on it when schools got out, and 120 min was typical for a lot of the rides we walked onto all day long. Pick the right week, and Disney won't be too bad. Its beautiful there when its all decorated for the holidays.

If you go to Disney. It would be much more of a headache then anything. Since you have to think about all the accommodations as well as having to spend hundreds of dollars on food. Whereas with the cruise you wont have to think about thank and just enjoy fun in the sun.

We were in Disney the first week of December a few years back and besides the Magic Kingdom it wasn't very crowded at the 3 other parks. Temps were in upper 60's daytime and upper 40's at night. We all had a blast. I love both vacations so I don't really have an opinion. We are going Halloween week this year and looking forward to it. Expensive though, jeez our Oasis cruise was much cheaper for all 4 of us. Hoping for free dining plan to fall our week when they release the fall dates.

Hi Librarian Becky. A couple of years ago another couple (both of us in late 50's) visited Disney World the second week of Dec. after doing a cruise out of Miami. We did not have the crowds and only short lines. We walked right on to many of the rides. It was before the Christmas vacation crowd arrived. We visited both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Weather was comfortable and in the 70' s. We loved it. The Christmas decorations even made it more magical. Hotel prices are more of a bargain during this lower season until you get closer to The Christmas break. :)

Becky,

Who in your family wants to do Disney? Are they your kids or siblings?? If kids then I say do what YOU want. Sounds like you have been through a very hard time. This is

Something you planned and looked forward to to help you through some bad times. Sounds like the fact that you are hesitant to cancel is your answer. Follow your heart. I am so sorry about your mom.

Linda

This is something you planned and looked forward to to help you through some bad times. Sounds like the fact that you are hesitant to cancel is your answer. Follow your heart. I am so sorry about your mom.

I second these sentiments!

Sorry to hear about your mom....I have been to Disney and had a great time but I would go on a cruise over Disney. Disney to me is not a relaxing vacation so it depends on what your looking for. Your family would probably enjoy either when it comes down to it so sounds like you deserve to choose.

It would help to know the ages of your children and the family members. One thing, at Disney you have to "do" a lot. On a cruise, a lot of that is taken care of, they "do" it for you. You don't have to go far, it's all on a "plate" right near you. Especially a lot of food on a plate! You don't even have to take out your money usually. I was just in the Caribbean, and really liked that warm weather. Coming from Ohio, you probably would crave tropical weather in April. I hope the weather is nice in Orlando if you go there. I think your experiences have been draining, and Disney could also make for some draining, whereas a cruise could be somewhat restorative. You might be feeling that in your gut. Good luck with your decision. One thing, imagine right now you have made the final decision. See how you feel if the final decision is one or the other. That might tell you something. But of course there are other people to consider too.

Sorry about your mom.

Who is the "family" you say wants to go to Disney instead? If it's just the kids saying this, keep your cruise booked. They don't get to dictate and over rule your vacation plans that are already booked. If it's adults too, then you may need to consider switching. Regardless, I would keep the cruise over Disney any day! :)

I also would love to know who "family" is. I agree with the PP who said a vacation is more about who you are with than where you go, but at the same time, you need a "recharge" trip. I love Disney, too, but it's a) 11 frigging months away, and b) exhausting -- in both the planning and the execution.

If you DO decide to go with your family's wishes, please try to schedule a smaller, less expensive escape this spring. Even a long weekend in a cabin in Hocking Hills, "off the grid", or at Deer Creek or Maumee Bay lodge, might allow you to recharge a bit.

My DH and I lost 5 parents/step-parents in a two and a half year period. Looking back, I don't know how we got through it. But a couple weeks after my father passed away, we were on a previously scheduled cruise. I remember sitting on my balcony watching the moon on the water, thinking that this was exactly what I needed. Being a fellow Buckeye (NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! :D), I know I find being out on the ocean very therapeutic. There is something elemental about it that allows me to completely relax.

Best of luck whatever you and your family decide. Please let us know!

We would go first week of December, so lower crowds. We are far enough out that we won't lose money from RC, and I should be able to rebook flights from Southwest without issue.

We went first week of December 2013. Crowds were low,lines not bad at all, everything was decorated for the holidays, and best of all we got free dining for the week.

Bill

Sent from ipad mini using Cruise Critic app