No Sommeliers on RCCL Grandeur of the Seas?

Lysingers

A few months ago, my husband and I sailed on the Celebrity Summit, and for the first time ever had Celebrity's complimentary classic beverage package included in our fare. Although I rarely drink at home, we did take full advantage of it on the ship, particularly for wine at dinner in the MDR. And what made it most enjoyable for us was having a very attentive and personable young sommelier who was assigned to our section of the dining room. He promptly greeted us upon our being seated, asked us our preferences, made suggestions for wines that fell within the limitations of our beverage package, and kept our glasses full, often leaving the bottle on the table for us. It really enhanced our cruise experience, and has even led to us experimenting with wine at home fairly regularly since we've been back. We now can't see ourselves cruising in the future without a beverage package. (So, mission accomplished, Celebrity marketing department!)

Fast forward to the present, where my son and his girlfriend are just ending a 10 day cruise tomorrow morning on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas. This was my son's second time sailing with a pricey, self-purchased premium beverage package. Prior to the start of this cruise, I encouraged him to meet their sommelier in the MDR and take full advantage of his services, as we ourselves had on our cruise. I felt they would end up trying far more and better wines than they would choose for themselves with their limited knowledge, and would end up having an enhanced dining experience. Well, I just spoke with him a couple of hours ago once they got back into contact range for his cell service.. Sadly, he never once met a sommelier, let alone had one assigned to him. Partway through the cruise he actually asked for one, and he claims the waiter acted like he didn't know what he was talking about. I'm disappointed for him, and disappointed in Royal Caribbean. From what I heard tonight, this was just one of multiple disappointments he had on this cruise. Was this just a fluke, or are the two cruise lines really so different? Shouldn't there always be at least a few sommeliers available in the MDR to assist cruisers with their wine selections? And with the automatic pre-paid gratuity policy that is in place, aren't they charging a little something each day for the sommeliers' services?

I would be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences with this matter.

Hello,

No, certainly no sommeliers on board RCI.

No decent wine waiters (or pourers) either. In my experience the table cloth leaves the dining room after a meal looking like a rag from an abattoir so my advice is to pour your own - especially on formal nights.

Regards,

Cublet

Was this just a fluke, or are the two cruise lines really so different? Shouldn't there always be at least a few sommeliers available in the MDR to assist cruisers with their wine selections? And with the automatic pre-paid gratuity policy that is in place, aren't they charging a little something each day for the sommeliers' services?

sommeliers are hard to come by. at best there MIGHT have been a wine steward on board, which is NOT the same thing. if he had MTD it's even more rare to have either be visible, let alone available.

and you cannot assume that any package includes the services/gratuity for a dedicated wine steward or sommelier . those tips are for bar tenders/servers.

in fact I am not even sure Royal or Celebrity actually trains/pays for the training of either. it may have been done by individuals, ether before they were hired at the cruiseline or in the years since to get advancement.

Head waiter

"Career snapshot:

•Utilizes appropriate food and wine terminology and pronunciation. Maintains complete knowledge of menu descriptions and wine lists in order to discuss items appropriately to enhance the guests dining experience. Responsible for the successful execution of the training for Restaurant employees in this function

"

I also can attest to your observation. Our family was on the Grandeur this past Thanksgiving. As it was a holiday, I brought along a very nice bottle of Cabernet from my cellar to enjoy for Thanksgiving dinner in the MDR. When I asked the head waiter to decant the bottle into a decanter, he looked at me as if this was a very unusual and novel concept. I had to physically explain what I wanted him to accomplish, mock pouring the bottle into a separate container. He then took the bottle away from the table after seemingly understanding what I was asking for which I also thought was odd. Wine is typically decanted at the table in view of the diners. He returned after a few minutes later with the bottle open, and the wine still inside explaining to us they somehow poured out the wine from the original bottle to some other container, then transferred the wine back to the bottle again. My wife and I exchanged a few confused glances. However, not want to make too much of it, we rolled with it and wrote it off as a miscommunication on our part. Maybe it was a little presumptive for me to assume MDR staff were familiar with wine decanting techniques and requests. Perhaps they don't even have a stock of decanters in the pantry to pour wine into. I feel a little better now knowing it was not likely my fault based on reports by the OP. Certainly an improvement opportunity for RCCL.

Edited by GoldenDomer
spelling, grammar

I was on the Allure in Nov. did not see a Sommelier, but I did see a lot of passengers brining their own adult beverages in the MDR.

We've noticed slow beverage service in the dining room and as other have noted, no Sommelier. It is a good idea to bring beverages in as it can take a while to get a drink, especially the first night or two.

Not surprisingly, we also see very few tables with any wine service. We see a good many getting a glass from the bar server, but few full bottles of wine. Not sure which came first, the decline in bottle ordering, hence the elimination of the Sommelier, or the elimination of the Sommelier, hence the decline in bottle sales.

An option might be to have a few glasses of wine at a particular bar then the bartender can assist in wine selection. He/she can recommend food parings for later. Once you have a few options you like, you can order them in the dining room.

Cheers

M

We were on Liberty in 2011 the last time that I met / talked to a sommelier. His name was Robert and WOW, he was good! He was tending the bar in Vintages one night talking to us when he received a call from the dining room and had to leave for a few minutes. He returned and we asked him under what circumstances he went to the dining rooms.

Apparently if someone opens a bottle of wine and the guests say that it's bad the sommelier was supposed to be called to investigate.

Again, this was in 2011. It wouldn't surprise me if RC had sommeliers on all ships back then but now they don't.

I also can attest to your observation. Our family was on the Grandeur this past Thanksgiving. As it was a holiday, I brought along a very nice bottle of Cabernet from my cellar to enjoy for Thanksgiving dinner in the MDR. When I asked the head waiter to decant the bottle into a decanter, he looked at me as if this was a very unusual and novel concept. I had to physically explain what I wanted him to accomplish, mock pouring the bottle into a separate container. He then took the bottle away from the table after seemingly understanding what I was asking for which I also thought was odd. Wine is typically decanted at the table in view of the diners. He returned after a few minutes later with the bottle open, and the wine still inside explaining to us they somehow poured out the wine from the original bottle to some other container, then transferred the wine back to the bottle again. My wife and I exchanged a few confused glances. However, not want to make too much of it, we rolled with it and wrote it off as a miscommunication on our part. Maybe it was a little presumptive for me to assume MDR staff were familiar with wine decanting techniques and requests. Perhaps they don't even have a stock of decanters in the pantry to pour wine into. I feel a little better now knowing it was not likely my fault based on reports by the OP. Certainly an improvement opportunity for RCCL.

Honesty the only place I've seen decanters is in vintages or the specialty restaurants. Not sure if they ever use them, as much of the vintage wine on board is on the younger side.

They do use the RCCL aerator in the specialty restaurants. I am not sure if they will attach it to a bottle you've brought on board. We've never asked.

I would have loved to see your face learning that "re bottling technique" . Better luck next time.

M

We've noticed slow beverage service in the dining room and as other have noted, no Sommelier. It is a good idea to bring beverages in as it can take a while to get a drink, especially the first night or two.

Agreed. I think part of the change has been the all-inclusive alcohol packages. Since they came out we haven't ordered a bottle of wine - we order by the glass.

Dave - we have found the staff in Vintages to be knowledgeable. Was this server generally in the dining room or did you meet him in Vintages?

Thanks,

M

Same here Marci. We've had some excellent custom flights created by the Vintages staff.

A few months ago, my husband and I sailed on the Celebrity Summit, and for the first time ever had Celebrity's complimentary classic beverage package included in our fare. Although I rarely drink at home, we did take full advantage of it on the ship, particularly for wine at dinner in the MDR. And what made it most enjoyable for us was having a very attentive and personable young sommelier who was assigned to our section of the dining room. He promptly greeted us upon our being seated, asked us our preferences, made suggestions for wines that fell within the limitations of our beverage package, and kept our glasses full, often leaving the bottle on the table for us. It really enhanced our cruise experience, and has even led to us experimenting with wine at home fairly regularly since we've been back. We now can't see ourselves cruising in the future without a beverage package. (So, mission accomplished, Celebrity marketing department!)

Fast forward to the present, where my son and his girlfriend are just ending a 10 day cruise tomorrow morning on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas. This was my son's second time sailing with a pricey, self-purchased premium beverage package. Prior to the start of this cruise, I encouraged him to meet their sommelier in the MDR and take full advantage of his services, as we ourselves had on our cruise. I felt they would end up trying far more and better wines than they would choose for themselves with their limited knowledge, and would end up having an enhanced dining experience. Well, I just spoke with him a couple of hours ago once they got back into contact range for his cell service.. Sadly, he never once met a sommelier, let alone had one assigned to him. Partway through the cruise he actually asked for one, and he claims the waiter acted like he didn't know what he was talking about. I'm disappointed for him, and disappointed in Royal Caribbean. From what I heard tonight, this was just one of multiple disappointments he had on this cruise. Was this just a fluke, or are the two cruise lines really so different? Shouldn't there always be at least a few sommeliers available in the MDR to assist cruisers with their wine selections? And with the automatic pre-paid gratuity policy that is in place, aren't they charging a little something each day for the sommeliers' services?

If I were you, I would send an email to rcldining@rccl.com. This email goes into the department that handles food and beverage issues on board all of the ships. This department needs to know from you your experience and what your expectations were and how Royal came up short on the delivery.

It has never mattered much to me and DH to have a sommelier's services. We know what we like and what we will order. I will say that on our recent Her Majesty cruise, when we enjoyed the only specialty restaurant on board, called Taste of Tuscany, we received a wonderful wine education from the "Master of Ceremonies" -- this is as much a show with a food and wine education as much as a 5 course meal with unlimited wine. This gentleman must have had some of the education that a sommelier would have -- he was remarkable.

and you cannot assume that any package includes the services/gratuity for a dedicated wine steward or sommelier . those tips are for bar tenders/servers.

Incorrect. The wine tender (steward) that is stationed in the dining room does in fact share in the tips.

No sommelier on our Grandeur cruise over New Years but we did have the Ultimate package and a very knowledgeable bar server assigned to our table. He understood that we wanted to try different wines by the glass and was happy to suggest and to have a glass waiting for us when we arrived at our table each night. Our assistant waiter was also happy to assist if we needed a drink or glass of wine as well. Not always the case, and I did enjoy a Celebrity cruise recently and it was nice to have them pour more wine for you as you dined instead of bringing another glass.

Luck of the draw I guess...🍷

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

No sommelier on our Grandeur cruise over New Years but we did have the Ultimate package and a very knowledgeable bar server assigned to our table. He understood that we wanted to try different wines by the glass and was happy to suggest and to have a glass waiting for us when we arrived at our table each night. Our assistant waiter was also happy to assist if we needed a drink or glass of wine as well. Not always the case, and I did enjoy a Celebrity cruise recently and it was nice to have them pour more wine for you as you dined instead of bringing another glass.

Luck of the draw I guess...🍷

This was exactly what I had imagined for my son and his girlfriend on their Grandeur cruise, which ended just this morning. But as I said in my original post, no sommelier, no wine steward, no knowledgeable bar server. Just a for the must part adequate waitstaff, whose only advise regarding the wines was, "We have these wines here (points to menu). The red ones go with beef, and the white ones with chicken and fish". Well duh!! Really coulda figured that much out for themselves. My expectation was that they would have access to a far wider selection of wines by the glass than the limited few that were featured on the MDR menu. For the price of the Ultimate package, including 15% gratuities, I really expected and hoped for a far better experience for them.

If this is truly the status quo on Royal Caribbean ships, I will refrain from investing in their beverage packages on any future sailings with them, as will my son, and will just buy the occasional glass of wine when I come across an amicable bartender who is willing to suggest a truly good wine worth experiencing, rather than just the ones that the cruiseline apparantly buys in bulk and hopes to unload on unwitting, naive passengers. I'll save my money to purchase the beverage package only when we sail with Celebrity again, which seems kind if ironic, considering they both have the same parent company.

The sommeliers are a thing of the past on rccl. It's a shame they keep getting rid of little touches like that! One day I was wearing a royal sweatshirt and walked into my local liquor and wine superstore when an associate stopped me and told me he used to be a sommelier on Royal! Needless to say he is the most knowledgable associate in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On a similar note, Do they have decanters for wine you bring on board? We like to bring a couple of really nice bottles on, and the decanter would be great.

I've not seen decanters in the dining room, only in specialty restaurants.

As someone who enjoys a really good bottle of wine and actually goes on buying trips to Napa to fill my cellar, I would expect expert wine service only on the most expensive cruise lines. I equate the food on board to a good medium priced restaurant and the wines are comparable to that in a medium prices restaurant. I would never expect a medium priced restaurant to have a sommelier or a decanter. I can always find wines that I enjoy onboard.

Celebrity is a more upscale line than Royal Caribbean so I am not surprised you found more knowledgeable wine service than on Royal.

If you want your red to breathe, open it in your storeroom before you bring it into the MDR or ask for it to be opened during the appetizer while you are drinking a white. Bring your own aerator to enhance the flavor of your red.

Make the best out of life and don't stress what isn't available, just enjoy what is there!

On a similar note, Do they have decanters for wine you bring on board? We like to bring a couple of really nice bottles on, and the decanter would be great.

See post No 7 above

To be honest the dining room staff have enough to do keeping on top of service without taking the time to decant wine.

I would think you will stand a better chance of being able to have your wine decanted if you take it to a speciality restaurant The food there is much better anyway, so should better complement the wine.

See post No 7 above

To be honest the dining room staff have enough to do keeping on top of service without taking the time to decant wine.

I would think you will stand a better chance of being able to have your wine decanted if you take it to a speciality restaurant The food there is much better anyway, so should better complement the wine.

I wouldn't expect them to. We generally bring the bottles we bring on to the steakhouse, as we anticipate pairing the wines with beef. I wouldn't even expect them to decant it for me. As long as they had a decanter for me to use.