Left Behind

We just returned January 11th, 2015 from Cruising the Eastern Caribbean on ms Eurodam.

We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the Eurodam.

I keep wondering though if anyone missed the boat. Ourselves due to a Sunwing screw up literally had to have the door harnesses re-attached to allow us on and a few others racing in cabs from the Airport. Did everyone make it?

We also heard on board that someone was left behind in St. Thomas. I have a curious mind and since we were on this cruise I would like to know details like this. Is there somewhere I can go and view our actual cruise itinerary ??

Somewhere that might tell us info like this. Thank you in advance

Lois & Scott

I dont think you will get posted information about someone missing the boat-- unless that one person is posting on the internet.

a ship leaving late means someone is missing- and the repeated calls over the speaker to call guest services is another.

when that happens many people go to the rails and watch for the return.

Yes, people do get left behind. The ship will not wait.

Hi, supermans girl friend, and welcome to (posting on) CC!

And those who get left behind may find themselves starring on YouTube, where there are plenty of videos of this happening. Edited by Globaliser

I was also on this sailing, while at the Mariner's Brunch on Friday, a lady at the table said we left 5 people in St Thomas. She said she watched them run down the pier. I don't remember hearing them announce any names before sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I dont think you will get posted information about someone missing the boat-- unless that one person is posting on the internet.

a ship leaving late means someone is missing- and the repeated calls over the speaker to call guest services is another.

Here's a first hand report from the Royal Caribbean forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2118638

Roy

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Over the years we have seen passengers and crew left behind in various ports.

People left behind at the embarkation port have only themselves to blame for flying in on the same day as the ship sails.

People left behind in ports -- well it could be due to improper planning, traffic, etc.

I was watching the Crown Princess sail away from San Diego a few days ago. The ship untied and started to leave, but then the ship pushed back against the dock so that one last couple could get on board. I was viewing from the other side of the ship so I wasn't sure if they tied the ship to the dock or just used the engines to pin the ship against the dock.

I was wondering if re-docking for a late passenger was unusual. In all, this amounted to a ~25 minute departure delay for the ship. The was a ship visit rather than an embarkation.

igraf

Edited by igraf

We just returned January 11th, 2015 from Cruising the Eastern Caribbean on ms Eurodam.

We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the Eurodam.

I keep wondering though if anyone missed the boat. Ourselves due to a Sunwing screw up literally had to have the door harnesses re-attached to allow us on and a few others racing in cabs from the Airport. Did everyone make it?

We also heard on board that someone was left behind in St. Thomas. I have a curious mind and since we were on this cruise I would like to know details like this. Is there somewhere I can go and view our actual cruise itinerary ??

Somewhere that might tell us info like this. Thank you in advance

Lois & Scott

It happens! If it does, the port agent will become your "lifeline". Take that persons' name, address and phone # with you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HArh2UTMib4

It happens! If it does, the port agent will become your "lifeline". Take that persons' name, address and phone # with you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HArh2UTMib4

On HAL, that information is always at the top right hand side of the handout HAL prepares for each port. Unless something has changed, it is not in the Daily Program. Even if you don't want to use the port map and/or list of ship recommended places, tear off that corner of the sheet so you never leave the ship without Port Agents's name and contact information. (S)He is your friend in town should anything happen for which you need help.

The ships have an Agent in every port.

The ships have an agent for every port. The agent may or may not be in the port though; there's a difference. That is why having the phone number is essential.

Many times there has been one or two port agents for all the ports on a cruise I have taken. Alaska is a good example of this.

On HAL, that information is always at the top right hand side of the handout HAL prepares for each port. Unless something has changed, it is not in the Daily Program. Even if you don't want to use the port map and/or list of ship recommended places, tear off that corner of the sheet so you never leave the ship without Port Agents's name and contact information. (S)He is your friend in town should anything happen for which you need help.

You're 100% correct as usual, S7S! A port agent for HAL will be in every port the ship calls on. As a matter of fact, he, sometimes a she, i.e. in Skagway, AK ;), is usually the first individual up the gangway and into the ship at that port after the gangway has been landed in that port. He/she will first assist, sorta kinda liase, the interaction between the local authorities coming onboard and the ship's Crew Officer (Crew Purser), aka Port Paper Officer on the Vistas and Signatures in clearing the vessel/obtaining the authorization for pax and crew to leave the ship and visit the port, not always an easy process in some countries, like the People's Republic of China.

After this has been completed, the port agent will liase with the GRM and Front Office staff in case of special requests. The port agent will also facilitate shore consults for pax and crew with local doctors, medical facilities and dentists, medical disembarks, and is the person who will assist with flights elsewhere for guest entertainers, crew on leave and pax on emergency disembarks. He/she will take care of any mail/packages to the ship and, as one of his/her last duties, will take mail/packages off the ship just prior to departure.

If someone misses the vessel's departure, be it pax or crew, the port agent will have that individual(s) name, picture and required info and will generally wait a reasonable amount of time on the dock for those individuals after the ship has departed. The port agent will facilitate a hotel stay, if required, and airline/ground transportation for those having missed the ship. It will be the responsibility of those individuals having missed the ship take care of the cost for those expenses

great info!

haven't been to Alaska (yet ;)) but I have rarely seen the port agent come on board. When he does (haven't seen women yet sorry), it's not a long stay.

We normally have great views from our verandahs and love watching this stuff.

Certainly we don't have as many days as some, but I think we have been to enough ports over many cruises to have observed.

Interesting what the different experiences are.

great info!

haven't been to Alaska (yet ;)) but I have rarely seen the port agent come on board. When he does (haven't seen women yet sorry), it's not a long stay.

We normally have great views from our verandahs and love watching this stuff.

Certainly we don't have as many days as some, but I think we have been to enough ports over many cruises to have observed.

Interesting what the different experiences are.

Kazu; not disputing what you are saying and not being a wise a$$, but do you know who you're looking for when it comes to the port agent? They come in all shapes, sizes and ages, and don't wear a uniform. ;)

I personally have seen anyone get left behind. But we almost on this lasted cruise with Royal Caribbean. We happen to be on the side of the ship looking down on the dock. This was just a one port cruise. Cozumel and back. But the ship waited 45 minutes for about 2-3 couples. We got it on video with the lasted couple.

I have "herd" of some people getting left behind on a few ships I have been on. But never seen it for my self.

We almost did that our selves..... On "1" cruise. We were being taken around on a tour of a friend on my dad's. They were so proud on his little island of Roatan, that when he drop us back off back to the ship. We said by and ran to the ship. I think we still had about 5-10 minutes, but a little to close to my liking. LOL

We didn't do that again.

The ships have an agent for every port. The agent may or may not be in the port though; there's a difference. That is why having the phone number is essential.

Many times there has been one or two port agents for all the ports on a cruise I have taken. Alaska is a good example of this.

I was wondering about that :) I'm considering the 14 day Statendam R/T, and some of those ports are darn small. So do these little ports e.g. Kodiak and Homer, have their own port agents? Or is the designated port agent in another location, and does the duties "remotely"?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

I know that there are exceptions but most of the people who get left are either drunk or they have just been so busy shopping that they lost track of the time. I find it difficult to feel sorry for them. The ship should leave precisely on time. If they get left, they might learn for next time instead of assuming that the ship will always wait for them.

DON

You're 100% correct as usual, S7S! A port agent for HAL will be in every port the ship calls on. As a matter of fact, he, sometimes a she, i.e. in Skagway, AK ;), is usually the first individual up the gangway and into the ship at that port after the gangway has been landed in that port. He/she will first assist, sorta kinda liase, the interaction between the local authorities coming onboard and the ship's Crew Officer (Crew Purser), aka Port Paper Officer on the Vistas and Signatures in clearing the vessel/obtaining the authorization for pax and crew to leave the ship and visit the port, not always an easy process in some countries, like the People's Republic of China.

After this has been completed, the port agent will liase with the GRM and Front Office staff in case of special requests. The port agent will also facilitate shore consults for pax and crew with local doctors, medical facilities and dentists, medical disembarks, and is the person who will assist with flights elsewhere for guest entertainers, crew on leave and pax on emergency disembarks. He/she will take care of any mail/packages to the ship and, as one of his/her last duties, will take mail/packages off the ship just prior to departure.

If someone misses the vessel's departure, be it pax or crew, the port agent will have that individual(s) name, picture and required info and will generally wait a reasonable amount of time on the dock for those individuals after the ship has departed. The port agent will facilitate a hotel stay, if required, and airline/ground transportation for those having missed the ship. It will be the responsibility of those individuals having missed the ship take care of the cost for those expenses

Cool. Thx for them detailed info.

I was wondering about that :) I'm considering the 14 day Statendam R/T, and some of those ports are darn small. So do these little ports e.g. Kodiak and Homer, have their own port agents? Or is the designated port agent in another location, and does the duties "remotely"?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Funny you should mention Homer and Kodiak, Cow Princess. Those are two ports where I remember noting that the port agent's address was listed as elsewhere.