Quart Sized Bag: What can I live without?

Smilefy

Instead of hand sanitizer, I take packets of handiwipes. I clean my hands before I eat after getting food from the buffet. Do you realize all the people who handle the serving spoons at the buffet? I also carry them in my purse. Also instead of a bottle of perfume, you can buy roller ball perfume.

One of my dreaded vacation fears is cross-contamination. It only took me one nasty case of food poisoning from my college dorm cafeteria to learn my lesson. Now, I am one of those people who likes to be first in line because everything has been touched less. But if my memory serves me right, don't cruise ships post hand sanitizing stations throughout the common areas and especially around the buffet areas? Regardless, I will, like you, be cleaning my hands before I eat.

My perfume bottle is 1-2 mL in volume, which is like .06 fl oz, I think I got 5 of them free when I purchased a bottle of perfume years ago. I think it was meant to be a tester so I will go and buy more, but I've always been conservative with fragrances so it has lasted.

I've flown all the heck over the US, through many major airports (Newark, LAX, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Orlando) and never once have I put my mascara in my liquid bag - so far, TSA seems to not care. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I can't imagine in the 30-40 flights I've been on in the last 3 years, that anyone can be that lucky. lol

Have you tried the Listerine strips (aka minty pieces of paper)? They work as well as mouthwash for helping to freshen breath.

Also, Neutrogena makes a great stick sunblock that is the size of a deodorant stick. So a wider coverage area than the smaller lipstick sized ones that are mainly only good for your face. (Plus it smells awesome)

Good luck and happy packing!

Thanks for the tips, I will add the Neutrogena stick and breath strips to my shopping list. I mainly use mouthwash as a backup insurance to kill germs and bacteria after brushing, but I doubt a week without the gurgling is going to kill me.

Also instead of a bottle of perfume, you can buy roller ball perfume.

The roller ball is just the method of application. The perfume is still liquid and therefore still counts as a liquid to go in the quart bag.

There are solid perfumes. I have a couple. I keep one in my travel toiletries bag - it's a very light scent and my husband (who is allergic/hates scents) is ok with it. You won't find as many choices in a solid but they are out there....

If you are willing to try something new - try tooth powder in lieu of toothpaste. I use it for longer trips and it works well. I purchase through Amazon. I've also seen it at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's stores.

At the end of a long cruise I've often used most of my little bottles in my TSA regulation quart bag. I treat myself to a bottle of perfume or special lotion (less than 3 oz.) to fill the bag on the trip home.:)

Do a 'dry run' with your lotions and potions.

At home test how many uses you get out of each container. I decant many of the items we use.

For me I know that travel toothpaste lasts 14 uses, 10ml (recycled eye) dropper contains 42 uses of Argan Oil. Each side of a contact lens case holds 10 uses of hair gel or creme.

ladylighttravel.com has some good info about this. Also a tutorial making your own toothpaste drops.

If you're going to be in your destination city beforehand, buy what you need in larger sizes there.

Edited by SadieN

• 1 month later...

I've been known to use 2 or even 3 quart sized bags. The people manning the security devices at the airport have absolutely no clue which items belong to which passenger. The person looking at the screen isn't counting plastic bags and putting a face with each individual one.

I've been known to use 2 or even 3 quart sized bags. The people manning the security devices at the airport have absolutely no clue which items belong to which passenger. The person looking at the screen isn't counting plastic bags and putting a face with each individual one.

You can get away with this for a while, especially in the US, but the day will come when an agent is going to ask whose bags they are, and the excess will end up in the trash.

You can get away with this for a while, especially in the US, but the day will come when an agent is going to ask whose bags they are, and the excess will end up in the trash.

Yep, and it won't be anything valuable going in there, and life will go on. :D

@ Pizza

You made me laugh out loud and have to explain myself to my husband. You are a living example of thinking outside the box!!!

I seem to be able to get a lot more in a quart bag (or need a lot less) than a lot of people, but those that have particular hair or skin or who sunbathe -- they could try your approach and rank their zippies by Necessary Stuff and "Would-be-nice" Stuff. Keeping all but the one to the "Life-will-not-end" stuff.

In a thread on tooth powder on flyertalk, someone mentioned using tablets from Lush. I don't like tooth powder nor do I like Lush, but I thought I'd throw the idea out to you if anyone is interested ;-)

http://www.lushusa.com/Dirty-toothy-tabs/03096,en_US,pd.html

Actually Lush also carries 'shampoo bars' - which are not liquid - have not tried them myself but have heard good things about them: http://www.lushusa.com/Shampoo-Bars/shampoo-bars,en_US,sc.html

I started packing for my cruise next week and I think I managed to fit everything I will need for 11 days into one quart sized bag. The only exception is that I have a 3 oz. reusable container of suntan lotion to get started, and I will buy a big bottle when I arrive at my departure port city. Here's what I managed to fit:

1) shampoo (I found an old 1-2oz. travel sized bottle of herbal essences shampoo so I emptied out the rest and cleaned out the bottle to reuse it. I find that the reusable bottles you can buy are too stiff to get the shampoo out, or they leak. I refilled the herbal essences bottle with my fancy shampoo from home.)

2) conditioner (same process as the shampoo listed above)

3) special medicated shampoo (again, the same process as listed above)

4) toothpaste

5) lip gloss

6) 3 oz. suntan lotion

7) cream foundation (my skin is too dry for the pressed powders)

8) spare contact lenses

9) travel bottle of contact solution (are we sure this doesn't have to be in the baggie?? I'm taking a half-empty bottle and I plan to leave the rest behind if I have any left... It's about to expire anyway)

10) travel bottle of aloe

11) benadryl anti-itch cream (somehow I ALWAYS get bug bites haha)

12) psoriasis cream

I'll leave the mascara in my makeup bag, although I could fit it in my 3-1-1 bag if I wanted to since I do have a little space left. I am actually a bit impressed with myself for making everything fit!

Good job, DelaDane!

I've never gone as long (27 days counting the day-early hotel stay) as our upcoming cruise with just one 3-1-1 bag apiece... otoh, on short trips all kinds of things that don't have to be in there, wind up in there so that it can be a one-stop-shopping toiletry bag. Will have a wet bag & a dry bag apiece, and a Rx medicine bag between us for this trip! I bought FOUR 2oz Travel Tubes from eBags... but realized I don't know if 2oz is enough for things like my face cleanser. So am filling the little bottles (they aren't *really* tubes) and since it's only a little over that long before we fly out, I'll see how it lasts. I do have some 3+oz squeeze bottles but don't want to take more than I will need.

Actually Lush also carries 'shampoo bars' - which are not liquid - have not tried them myself but have heard good things about them: http://www.lushusa.com/Shampoo-Bars/shampoo-bars,en_US,sc.html

I have used those shampoo bars since a friend turned me onto Lush back in 1999!! A really good travel find. And, they are in my rotating shampoo scheme at home, too. I like the old standbys Godiva and Karma Koomba. But, there are a couple of new ones that sound interesting. I love the Honey I Washed the Kids soap the the It's Raining Men shower gel, so the Honey I Washed my Hair could be fun, since it's in the same scent range.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a 2 week trip to Istanbul and the Maldives, and we did carry-on only. Here is what I took in my liquid bag, and what I found non-liquids of:

Liquids

• Hairspray
  • Toothpaste
  • Styling (hair) cream
  • 2 packets Woolite
  • 2 packets deep conditioner
  • Travel safe bottle filled with coconut oil (good for a variety of uses)

What I used solids of:

• Lush perfume
  • Tarte concealer
  • Neutrogena Beach Defense SPF sticks
  • Lush massage bar (body lotion)
  • Shiseido SPF foundation stick
  • Anti-bac wipes
  • Makeup remover wipes

sunscreen: liquid in a spray bottle as of now. May break down and get the solid stick version.

Just buy this in Orlando. The price is the same as at home.

bodywash: Could replace with a moisturizing soap bar. Not a bar soap fan.

Get a bar of Shea Butter soap from L'Occitane. One bar x 2 showers a day=10+ days.

shampoo: my hair is very picky in humid weather.

Wash once a day in the evening and wear a sun hat or pull it into a ponytail. Use a rich shampoo and emulsify in your hands first. Two ounces will last the whole trip--most people use way too much shampoo.

conditioner: I need lots of conditioner for my hair. I have long hair.

Wash once a day in the evening and wear a sun hat or pull it into a ponytail. Emulsify in your hands and run them through your hair. Two ounces will last a week or more.

face cleanser: I plan to wear makeup on formal nights, plus sweating in the heat, so I need a good one.

Cleanser towelettes. Don't need to go in the 3-1-1 and you can use the space they take for small souvenirs on the way home.

hairspray: Can't think of an alternative.

Because you'll be only styling hair once a day, a small travel size can will be plenty for a week to 10 days.

mascara: Can't think of an alternative.

This takes so little room I don't see why it's even an issue unless you are flying through LHR. US TSA won't care if it's not in the 3-1-1

concealer: I have dark under-eye circles that need covering. At least when I want a nice photo.

Again it's so small (mine comes in a pot about an inch across) it's just not an issue.

foundation: I could use the powder or mineral kinds. Though I prefer a tinted moisturizer.

A B&B takes very little room in your 3-1-1 bag.

lipgloss: Could use a potted lipgloss instead.

The "stick" type will fit better in the 3-1-1 bag

aloe vera gel: Do they have this available at the purser's desk?

No, but they will have it for purchase in the shop. I would skip it and use the space for extra sunblock.

mouth wash: Can't go without mouthwash.

Buy in Orlando

wrinkle releaser: For all of my clothes that are going to be packed so tightly.

You don't need it. Hang them up and the wrinkles will fall out. If something is really bad, send it out for pressing--$2 or so.

hand sanitizer: for when we are ashore.

Get one of those mini-bottles in Orlando

Na-PCA: My skin moisturizer.

With the sun block you will use daily, you won't need this.

argan oil: For hair

If you can't find a sample size, use an oil that can be used for face, hair, and body

almond oil: For skin after shaving.

If you can't find a sample size, use an oil that can be used for face, hair, and body

perfume: I have mini bottles that are sample size, Not worried about these.

Leave it at home.

spare contact lenses

Don't need to be in 3-1-1, and to be honest you'd be better off just bringing glasses. You can't wear contacts in the water.

toothpaste

A travel size tube is enough for 7-10 days.

How can this be such a long list? ?

Because you are letting it be.

Things I will bring if I can fit them in:

First aid ointment, wipes.

Sample size Biofreeze.

Bug spray

Tide stain stick

and

Tide packets for sink-washing garments.

Instead of bug spray bring a couple packets of Off wipes.

I just got back from two weeks in London and haven't unpacked my 3-1-1 bag yet, so here's what is in it:

2 ounce shampoo (a little left after 18 showers)

2 ounce conditioner (a little left after 18 showers)

25ml Face Wash (a little left after 18 showers)

2 ounce styling cream (2/3 full)

2 ounce hand lotion (almost empty)

1 ounce eye makeup remover (to catch what the disposable wipes miss)

.5 ounce Caudalie hair/face/body oil (about half gone) (Buy this size at Sephora)

1 ounce Khiels body polish

travel size hairspray (almost gone)

.25 ounce face cream x 2 (one day, one night--both about half empty)

1 mascara and 4 lip gloss/balm sticks

.25 ounce concealer pot

.1 ounce eye cream (sample from Keihls almost gone)

.15 face oil (sample from Keihls that I keep refilling, enough for one more use)

1 ounce travel tube of toothpaste almost gone (I started with two)

1 Yankee Candle mini air freshener spray stick (the size of a Sharpie but not as long)

It is not jammed, there is room for another can of hairspray and another tube of toothpaste and probably a few more small things.

You can't wear contacts in the water

Wa? So not true. My husband had contacts for 20+ years and has always gone swimming & snorkeling with them (he stopped diving before we met so I am not sure about that - but I'm guessing he also dove with them) He's had a lot of eye problems the past year so has moved to primarily glasses (he's adjusting, but when it rains - boy does he miss his contacts!)

Wa? So not true. My husband had contacts for 20+ years and has always gone swimming & snorkeling with them (he stopped diving before we met so I am not sure about that - but I'm guessing he also dove with them) He's had a lot of eye problems the past year so has moved to primarily glasses (he's adjusting, but when it rains - boy does he miss his contacts!)

Maybe it depends on the type of contacts, but both my husband and I have lost contacts while swimming in the past.

Maybe it depends on the type of contacts, but both my husband and I have lost contacts while swimming in the past.

I'm with Hoyaheel. Wore contacts for 30 years (cataract surgery took care of that). My now-ex wore for even longer (still does). We both snorkel and he scuba dove. We were both big bodysurfers. I am still a big swimmer. Never once lost a lens. Now, we always had soft lenses. I lost lenses when I was mt. biking, though…

I'm taking another trip to Italy in a month; still not really thinking about what I'm going to take in specifics. I'll throw some things in the ole' Kippie bag and buy what else I need in Rome. There is a Sephora on Via Tritone that I walk by every day and also a Kiehl's store in the Via Condotti area! I can get enough samples from those two places to easily get through the vacation.

I head to China tomorrow (and I do NOT like the toiletries in the hotel where I'll be staying) so am figuring out what I want to take. I am checking a bag because my co-worker and I are bringing stuff for friends & colleagues, but I'll still have the essentials with me carry-on.

For China (or any country where the water may cause distress) I recommend taking some Pepto tablets. Easy to pack and very helpful if you get an upset stomach. VOE.

I loved our trip to China and hope to go back. There is so much to see there, and the people we met were lovely.

As for the contact lens discussion: I wear contacts in the ocean to swim and snorkel, and I exercise and waterski with them. I also prefer them to glasses for special dinners. A small bottle of saline suffices for at least 10 days if one is mindful.

I'm also a big fan of the bug spray wipes. I'll be trying a stick sunscreen for the first time on my next cruise.

I'm with Hoyaheel. Wore contacts for 30 years (cataract surgery took care of that). My now-ex wore for even longer (still does). We both snorkel and he scuba dove. We were both big bodysurfers. I am still a big swimmer. Never once lost a lens. Now, we always had soft lenses. I lost lenses when I was mt. biking, though…

I'm taking another trip to Italy in a month; still not really thinking about what I'm going to take in specifics. I'll throw some things in the ole' Kippie bag and buy what else I need in Rome. There is a Sephora on Via Tritone that I walk by every day and also a Kiehl's store in the Via Condotti area! I can get enough samples from those two places to easily get through the vacation.

Bring your lens prescription to Italy. DD has had no trouble getting contacts.

Do not know if she uses her American prescription or just shows her the box.

Bring your lens prescription to Italy. DD has had no trouble getting contacts.

Do not know if she uses her American prescription or just shows her the box.

On a cruise there is such limited time in port that I wouldn't want to waste it running around trying to replace contacts.