Sandals not allowed at Dinner???

Baybear

I read in our Oceania documents that sandals are not allowed in any of the dining rooms (MDR and Specialty Restaurants). I'm not sure what "sandals" means.

So here is a picture of my Wife's sandal... Can this NOT be worn in the dining rooms?

Thanks

1943632388_Sandal(800x450).jpg.e937b3e131a0755791f83642d3c96e1b.jpg

Women can wear any kind of "nice" sandal they wish, they do it all the time. In fact, I rarely wear shoes on a cruise ship.

Men's sandals are a different matter, and I would defer to Oceania experts on this topic. But your wife's sandals are just fine, believe me.

Thanks. They're going in the luggage.

It is more clear, in the official book in your cabin once you board. The rule stated there, which I take to be the last word (Oceania is notoriously lax in updating their web site),. states "no rubber or plastic sandals". Dressy sandals are OK. In fact, I wear leather, closed toe fisherman sandals to dinner regularly (and I'm a guy). I wear leather open toe sandals during the day, but the fisherman sandals are my "dress" shoes.

I wear wedge thong sandals to every dinner on all of my cruises on Oceania and Regent. Some are plain but somewhat dressy and others are dressy sandals. They aren't beach thongs (geez, I hate that the kids have hijacked our words and used them for underwear!). Anyway, their dress code is very much like what you would wear to your club or nice restaurant. Now, I come from Washington State where we don't really dress up for dinner but country club casual is wonderful for us. DH wears a polo shirt and nice pants and I wear sun dresses with sandals or dressy silk tops and pants. You will be just fine. Hopefully you won't stress over this too much because you are in for a real treat. We love Oceania!

Karen

Hi Karen, I absolutely agree!

I frequently wear a healed sandal (not very high since my knee surgery 8 years ago!) and sometimes flat sandals, but they aren't cheap or flip flops. I always cringe when I see people wearing those things on an airplane or the subway ... Not because they are offensive to the eye but because the wearer can pick up germs! (Especially when they go barefoot through airport security.)

Don't sweat these things. There was a classic story here a few years ago where an elderly passenger somehow came to the GDR wearing his boxer shorts. (He did have a shirt on, and shoes.) No one blinked or sent him back home.

Mura

In Hawaii, since, well, it is Hawaii and aloha, we have euphemisms for footwear since all we ever wear falls into the category of "sandals." Slippahs (slippers) are rubber soled with a punched out hole that has a plastic thong for the upper. No wear dem to dinner, bro! Or, any kine like dat! Sandals are da nice ones, with real sole and upper with some style, bruddah. Shoes, they only for mainland, no wear anywhere it hot. So, lesson from local, man. Go with style, you be ok.:D

In Hawaii, since, well, it is Hawaii and aloha, we have euphemisms for footwear since all we ever wear falls into the category of "sandals." Slippahs (slippers) are rubber soled with a punched out hole that has a plastic thong for the upper. No wear dem to dinner, bro! Or, any kine like dat! Sandals are da nice ones, with real sole and upper with some style, bruddah. Shoes, they only for mainland, no wear anywhere it hot. So, lesson from local, man. Go with style, you be ok.:D

I was looking for the 'like' button!:D

roflol:D

It is more clear, in the official book in your cabin once you board. The rule stated there, which I take to be the last word (Oceania is notoriously lax in updating their web site),. states "no rubber or plastic sandals". Dressy sandals are OK. In fact, I wear leather, closed toe fisherman sandals to dinner regularly (and I'm a guy). I wear leather open toe sandals during the day, but the fisherman sandals are my "dress" shoes.

Would these be ok?

image.jpg.f1d9a2be42baf679367f3da1c1540298.jpg

Mura;

Not doubting the story, but I have seen several people denied entry for dinner in the GDR and specialties for attempting to wear shorts and tee shirts. Guess it depends upon who's on duty.

Since I wasn't there I don't know the veracity of the story either but I've always thought it was an example of compassion. I've never seen anyone turned away because of inappropriate attire, but I don't doubt that a big factor could be who is on duty. And perhaps the "amount" of the infraction.

Mura

Edited by Mura

I only wore sandals ..but mine had beads ,glitter and stones on them ..not like flip flops ...very pretty and fancy ..they were fine .I went to see them first day told them I could not fit in closed shoes even if I tried ..my feet swell in heat and humidity .It was fine .my pretty little sandlals are dressy shoes in my books so fine .I think they meant flip flops but some still wore them

Youll be fine

Get some at Michaels and stick them on ..win win .....;)

Pass on that idea. :)

But I did notice on last cruise 2 Cross Dressers and 3 transgender men turned women who might appreciate some glittery beaded sandals. size 15's. :eek:

Pass on that idea. :)

But I did notice on last cruise 2 Cross Dressers and 3 transgender men turned women who might appreciate some glittery beaded sandals. size 15's. :eek:

Do you have to work at being offensive or does it just come naturally?

Ricki

Edited by ricki

Hi Baybear,

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day cruise on Marina in Polynesia. On our very first evening, I was stopped as I entered the main dining room. (I was wearing a long skirt and black leather sandals with fairly flat heels and open toes.) A very young server told me "open toes are not allowed in the dining rooms..." I was appalled. We've traveled on Oceania before, never had a problem and I had taken only sandals on this cruise. I decided that I would just ignore his comment and continue to wear my various open-toed shoes. I was never stopped or questioned again. I think he was a young, over-eager server! Most of the women on board wear open toed sandals - many of them with flat soles...

Do you have to work at being offensive or does it just come naturally?

Ricki

Dame Edna would be offended by your comment.

Do you have to work at being so closed minded and homophobic, or does it just come naturally from your upbringing?

Do you even have any LGBTQ friends? Probably not.

Have a good day.

image.jpg.46425872eefedec3340046b182716107.jpg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Just returned from a 16 day cruise on the Regatta. I live in South Florida and don't own any shoes other than sandals. I wore very nice sandals every night to every restaurant -- no issue anywhere. As another poster noted, the "ban" is for rubber or plastic sandals.