Canadian cruisers!!

I have never seen anything called a Canadian discount like that or even the provincial one even though each time I enter my province when I get a quote..

I know that a lot of the travel site DO give resident discounts on some RCI cruises...

Would be nice if RCI would implement something..as a almost 35% exchange rate is a killer for us Canadians right now and doesn't look like its going to get much better anytime soon:(

this is why i appreciate that rcl allows us to book in canadian funds. it saves the worry of exchange rates as well as being cheaper. the only other cruise line i have sailed with only books in u.s. funds. they are no longer my go to cruise line.

It is probably just RCIs regular resident discount. I am using one on my Oasis cruise at the end of this month. I have actually used it on all my cruises with RCI so far (except my Liberty Aug 2016)

Can I ask what prov you are booking from to get that?

I have 10 cruises booked with RCI..never got a resident discount ever..

[/b]

this is why i appreciate that rcl allows us to book in canadian funds. it saves the worry of exchange rates as well as being cheaper. the only other cruise line i have sailed with only books in u.s. funds. they are no longer my go to cruise line.

It does help a little yes. I figure most times its around a 20% exchange while through CC or bank its about 35%. Big savings too when you can then buy your OBC at 10% exchange rate.

Can I ask what prov you are booking from to get that?

I have 10 cruises booked with RCI..never got a resident discount ever..

I only book directly with RCI. I just put in my province and it comes up. It is not in addition to whatever sale is going on, it is in lieu of. The site shows the best price so if the 30% off sale is cheaper than the resident rate, it will not show you the resident rate (if there is one).

ah ok...I thought you said you had received a resident discount every cruise but one...and I have cruised more than you with RCI and live in the same province as you and NEVER received a resident discount...lol.

I know often that the 3rd party travel sites offer a NB discount on top of the deals RCI, but its never been anything that worked time wise for me so far.

ah ok...I thought you said you had received a resident discount every cruise but one...and I have cruised more than you with RCI and live in the same province as you and NEVER received a resident discount...lol.

I know often that the 3rd party travel sites offer a NB discount on top of the deals RCI, but its never been anything that worked time wise for me so far.

I just started sailing with RCI a year ago. So I got the resident rate on the Oasis last Nov, on the Indy & Freedom in March and then this trip I have coming up. I just booked the Liberty for next Aug but there was no resident rate available, or if there was it was higher than the 30% off sale.

I always look at the other travel sites but not once has it been cheaper for me to book via them for either cruises or for all inclusive vacations.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

I just started sailing with RCI a year ago. So I got the resident rate on the Oasis last Nov, on the Indy & Freedom in March and then this trip I have coming up. I just booked the Liberty for next Aug but there was no resident rate available, or if there was it was higher than the 30% off sale.

I always look at the other travel sites but not once has it been cheaper for me to book via them for either cruises or for all inclusive vacations.

I am lost...so you HAVE received a resident discount on many cruises..AND it was higher than the current promo with RCI at the time??...

I must be missing something here.....

I am lost...so you HAVE received a resident discount on many cruises..AND it was higher than the current promo with RCI at the time??...

I must be missing something here.....

From what I understand, when you pull up pricing on the Royal Caribbean Cruise site, it only shows the cheapest rate. If there is a resident rate available and that rate is cheaper than the BOGO or 30% rate or whatever the sale is at the time, it will only show the resident rate. You would not be able to see the other rates unless you took out the province, at least that is how it was on the old site. It seems like the new site might show resident rate if you are logged in, whether or no you put in the province. You could also call.

On each of my sailings I have cruised so far, and the one this month, resident rates were available and were cheaper than the BOGO fare. The exception is my Liberty sailing in 2016 which was booked on the 30% off sale.

There are times where the resident rate might be a better deal on one cat but not on another. Or maybe the other cat does not have resident rates at the time. Below are screen shots from today of my upcoming sailing on the Oasis if i wanted to book. It shows the resident rate for Ocean View but not for Junior suites. To get that little window to pop up, you just click on the "i" beside where it says "Deals Included". It will show you what promo they are using.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2012.43.23%20PM_zpspb104kwz.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2012.33.37%20PM_zpsof24ljjg.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2012.33.20%20PM_zpsxkiumyw0.png

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

I only wish my next cruise had decent Canadian prices. I had to book in $US, so sadly cannot take advantage of this like I did in March. Ah well.

I am curious as to how this occurs. Is it because you used a US travel agent?

From what I understand, when you pull up pricing on the Royal Caribbean Cruise site, it only shows the cheapest rate. If there is a resident rate available and that rate is cheaper than the BOGO or 30% rate or whatever the sale is at the time, it will only show the resident rate. You would not be able to see the other rates unless you took out the province, at least that is how it was on the old site. It seems like the new site might show resident rate if you are logged in, whether or no you put in the province. You could also call.

On each of my sailings I have cruised so far, and the one this month, resident rates were available and were cheaper than the BOGO fare. The exception is my Liberty sailing in 2016 which was booked on the 30% off sale.

There are times where the resident rate might be a better deal on one cat but not on another. Or maybe the other cat does not have resident rates at the time. Below are screen shots from today of my upcoming sailing on the Oasis if i wanted to book. It shows the resident rate for Ocean View but not for Junior suites. To get that little window to pop up, you just click on the "i" beside where it says "Deals Included". It will show you what promo they are using.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2012.43.23%20PM_zpspb104kwz.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2012.33.37%20PM_zpsof24ljjg.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2012.33.20%20PM_zpsxkiumyw0.png

We live in NB and have received quite a few resident rates. We always keep an eye on the prices after we book and have found them pop up. We just call and get the rate if we didn't get it at the time of booking. We always book direct and have never paid any more than what the other sites or TA have been offering.

[/url]

Neat, never noticed the different types of discounts.

But I do have a question...

When i display for our April cruise on Allure, and select '2', I do see 'Special Resident Rates' next to two of the cateogry rooms. At this point I haven't entered my province. So then if I go in and enter "Ontaio', and update, the same ''Special Resident Rates' shows BUT the price doesn't change. Or is it basically for all Canadians?

Wow..I guess its just luck of the draw...I re-price my cruises almost every day to watch for better deals...and I can assure you, I have NEVER seen NB resident rate deal come up.....

I have 10 booked/taken cruises and have checked those 100's of times...and probably done 1000's of "dummy" cruise bookings looking for deals etc...

And I always check with/without my C&A number.....but either way you HAVE to enter your prov....so there is no way I was/am doing something wrong...

This website NEVER ceases to amazing with the tech issues/problems they have....

When i display for our April cruise on Allure, and select '2', I do see 'Special Resident Rates' next to two of the cateogry rooms. At this point I haven't entered my province. So then if I go in and enter "Ontaio', and update, the same ''Special Resident Rates' shows BUT the price doesn't change. Or is it basically for all Canadians?

That is why I mentioned the old site in my post above. On the old one, the price would change if you were logged in & added/removed your province if there was a resident rate. On the NEW site, it seems to know where I am from already - I am not sure what that is. Cookies maybe?

I guess the province doesn't matter...as I see "RESIDENT" deals on the first page...at this point all they know is I am booking from the Canadian site....

First time EVER seeing that for any cruise that I was looking at......

Guess all my cruises have just been really unlucky deal wise....go figure

is the canadian discount only for the jewel? i just called rcl for the oasis and they tell me there is no such discount. it would be amazing if there was.

tia

I called rcl directly got her to price the same cruise as the TA did she first quoted the just the 30% discount, I asked if the 15% resident discount was available, she checked and came back and said yes. then I asked about the flights and the 500 off the cruise discount and thats where she shut me down.

Her prices are better then the TA but when the flight credit is applied the TA wins , I just like booking directly with the cruise line, but may have to use the TA this time as the trip is very expensive and every bit helps

So I just called to try and purchase additional onboard credit. I was placed on hold several times and the agent comes back on to tell me that I can't purchase anymore credit until I fax in my credit card and ID.

He then proceeds to explain that accounting department may cancel my previous purchases because there is no personal information attached to them. I told him that I was explained that the limit over the phone is $500 and that anything above that needed to be faxed in. He said that was incorrect and the limit to purchase over the phone is $500 in total, not per call.

Has anyone else been told this?

So I just called to try and purchase additional onboard credit. I was placed on hold several times and the agent comes back on to tell me that I can't purchase anymore credit until I fax in my credit card and ID.

He then proceeds to explain that accounting department may cancel my previous purchases because there is no personal information attached to them. I told him that I was explained that the limit over the phone is $500 and that anything above that needed to be faxed in. He said that was incorrect and the limit to purchase over the phone is $500 in total, not per call.

We had $1,500 for Indy a few weeks ago and did not have to fax anything in for purchases at either $500 or at $499. If I wanted to buy more than $500 on one call I'd have to fax it in. I called three different times. I was never told I needed to fax for over $500 OBC in total.

Another example of reps not knowing all the facts and possibly making things up. I have 2 future cruises both with over $1000 in OBC. For one of the cruises it's was all done in 1 transaction.

Not sure why accounting would cancel any purchases as they have instant approval on credit card transactions and after one month know that those charges are not being disputed.

Call back and try again. I'm sure you'll get a different answer.

There are many stories on here of inconsistency.

I have purchased 4 times:

3 times I was able to only purchase $499, the other $500. No ID or fax needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another example of reps not knowing all the facts and possibly making things up. I have 2 future cruises both with over $1000 in OBC. For one of the cruises it's was all done in 1 transaction.

Not sure why accounting would cancel any purchases as they have instant approval on credit card transactions and after one month know that those charges are not being disputed.

He said that three days before the cruise all purchases are reviewed and that when they see all of the credit that was purchased without documentation they may cancel it. It obviously makes no sense, but boy am I going to be angry if I get to my cruise and I have no OBC.

He said that three days before the cruise all purchases are reviewed and that when they see all of the credit that was purchased without documentation they may cancel it. It obviously makes no sense, but boy am I going to be angry if I get to my cruise and I have no OBC.

I'm thinking that angry would be an understatement.

I just called C&A and asked to add $2K to my upcoming sailing. The first guy said I could not do that much, only $499 or I could fax in and do the whole amount. I said $499 was fine. I completed that and then I called back and got someone else and asked to add $1500 and she did it without any problem at all. Go figure!1