Torn between two cruises

Mirrasi

I'm torn between two cruises, both leaving in April. Independence or Freedom. One going to Haiti and Jamaica, the other going to St Martin and St Thomas. I've never been to any of those.

What would be your preference?

Depends on your likes and dislikes. I would do St. Martin and St. Thomas. Now, by "Haiti," I you must mean Labadee which is RCCL's private beach. One of my favorite places to go. But I'm not a big fan of Jamaica. However great beaches.

But St. Thomas and St. Martin also have great beaches and you can do a lot of sightseeing and if you want, shopping.

Can't talk about the ships as I have never been on Independence. But I loved Freedom (both the same class) and Freedom is coming out of the yards.

Personally for me

i love spending the beach day in Haiti, Ive been to Jamacia many times and I dont care if i ever go back there again.

St Martens is a great place, lots of beaches and shopping, St Thomas is beautiful, just nice to walk around town and check it all out.

If I was choosing between the two it would be the easiest choice ever. St. Thomas and St. Maarten by far. We don't like Falmouth one bit (great half empty ship day though) and find Labadee to be one of the worst beaches in the Caribbean. Whenever I hear that people love Labadee I can't understand why other than it's free. We've been there twice and each time we've gotten a kick out of watching people painfully walking into the water and complaining about all the rocks.

If I was choosing between the two it would be the easiest choice ever. St. Thomas and St. Maarten by far. We don't like Falmouth one bit (great half empty ship day though) and find Labadee to be one of the worst beaches in the Caribbean. Whenever I hear that people love Labadee I can't understand why other than it's free. We've been there twice and each time we've gotten a kick out of watching people painfully walking into the water and complaining about all the rocks.

If you go to Columbus Cove it's nice and sandy. As I remember Nellies Beach is also nice and sandy. It's the other side that is definitely all rocky. You didn't see me "complain," but if you were there you certainly saw me walking "gingerly" saying "ouch...ouch...ouch." :)

I love Labadee for it's natural beauty. It's also safe, the ship is right there, lunch is provided by the ship, and you don't need cash. Just charge everything to your Seapass.

I will say, if you have a Grand Suite or better, you have access to Barefoot Beach which is wonderful. Upgraded lunch, lot's of shade or sun, quiet.

But Labadee is a nice place to just relax on the beach.

But I agree wholeheartedly, St. Thomas and St. Martin are easily 2 of my favorite destinations.

Water shoes! Where I'm from they're almost a beach staple. I love watching the landlubbers tiptoeing in. :D As far as Labadee, papaflamingo is right, there's plenty of sandy beaches. You just have to know your way around. Our favorite is Barefoot.

I am not a shopper when I have spent a lot of money just to cruise, therefore shopping is not something I look to do. I love Labadee because it is a relaxing day at the beach. We try to rent a cabana and it makes the day wonderful if we are able to get one. If our girls are with us (teenagers) we try to do one excursion for them, but otherwise we stay on the boat to enjoy even when in ports. We have done a zipline excursion in Jamaica which we all enjoyed booked through RCCL and we did a catamaran/snorkel in St. Marteen one time that was fun and relaxing also booked thru RCCL. Both of those excursions our teenagers enjoyed. So, to answer your question we just always first look at the ship when booking before looking at ports. I have never cruised on either one of these ships, but we are booked on Freedom of the Seas this April and we are on the Labadee route.

I'm torn between two cruises, both leaving in April. Independence or Freedom. One going to Haiti and Jamaica, the other going to St Martin and St Thomas. I've never been to any of those.

If we're talking 2015, I'd take the 7 night Freedom over the 6 night Independence any time. The Freedom also includes Coco Cay and Independence includes Grand Cayman. They're both great ships.

St. Thomas is one of our favorite islands because of the people and beaches. We also enjoyed our time in St. Maarten, so our vote would definitely be the Saints.

I agree they are 2 of my favorites, al though there is nothing wrong with the other choice

I'm one of those who love Falmouth. I enjoy meandering around all the wood carvings made, although I do wonder if they are really carved by the vendors there. I had a great zip line adventure there as well. I'm not really a water person so the beaches don't do much for me.

Be careful of any itineraries that go to Cococay. Probably half the time they skip it saying the water is too rough to tender. Labadee has a dock and it's my favorite stop on a cruise. Go to one of the far beaches. The water is calm and beautiful and its usually easy to get chaises under some palm trees.

If it's the Indy, isn't she also going to Grand Cayman?

If it's the Indy, isn't she also going to Grand Cayman?

Yes, I didn't mention it or Coco because I've been to both (Grand Cayman was amazing for me)....btw, I'm jealous of your list. Holy cow!

Thank you so much everyone for responding! That was a big help.

Edited by Mirrasi