Rotational Dining coming to Quantum

dirtgirl

Thanks for the video

So if sounds like it is either RD or DD on Anthem, then probably Quantum, Oasis and Allure

IMO (everything in this post is just my opinion), I would expect that eventually this will go fleet wide.

What seems to be the case with cruise dining, is that there is a larger preference among guests for flexible dining. However, there are those that really prefer traditional dining, as has been stated by a number of posters on this thread and other similar dining threads on CC.

The "Classic" option as stated in the video suggests a way to merge these two fairly well. Book a "traditional" time, and get the same time, table, waiter, etc. as was traditionally the case, but get some benefit of enjoying the different restaurants (OK, some might not see this as a benefit).

Ship operations don't have to change, as they effectively only see the multiple dining rooms with the general guest population arriving at different times (should be uninteresting to operations if some percentage always arrive at the same time).

Note, that details are yet to come, so asking questions on the implementation would only result in a speculative answer.

Right. The video provided a couple of posts previously suggest that it is still in the working out the implementation, but it would appear that passengers who choose this option will have fixed-time dining and automatically rotate through the restaurants (how, in what order, etc. is yet to be released). Passengers who choose standard DD will make reservations or go to the restaurant they choose at the time of their choice.

The order of rotation must be the same but the starting restaurant must change.

While one group is doing A-B-C-D-A-B-C

Another group will be doing B-C-D-A-B-C-D

Another group will be doing C-D-A-B-C-D-A

Another group will be doing D-A-B-C-D-A-B

This means one group will have a formal night on the first night. Shouldn't be an issue since Grande was smart casual on the first night anyway. You will get three restaurants twice and one once.

Ding.....ding.....ding.....

We have a winner. Math and facts always over comes rumor and theories.

Disney's version of RD simply can't fit on Quantum class ships. The only way that would work is if there are three seatings. Anyone want to start spreading that rumor?

Biker, who is happy to see all the DD bashing threads replaced with RD bashing threads.:cool:

Would the math work if they allowed all guests to eat at Coastal Kitchen and converted 1 or 2 of the bigger "pay for" restaurants to comp restaurants, thus adding more seats?

I suggested rotational weeks ago, and they should have 2 options -one with Grande (for those who want a formal night) and one without

I was wondering how the formal option was going to work. This makes sense.:) We enjoy formal nights so I hope they find a way to keep them.

And I really hope they keep MTD - we really dislike set dining times.

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Interesting video......for anyone who has done Disney, I wonder how RCI will do the rotation. On a seven day cruise you do each restaurant once , then only repeat 3. Sometimes you hit your favorite dining venue only once and the one you dislike twice! You have to be "on your toes" to see which rotation you are assigned. I remember calling Disney to get the rotation my wife and I wanted. The Disney seapass card had your rotation on it....example....ABCDABC or BCDABCD . You do "rotate " with the guests at your table and do have the same table and waiter/asst.waiter. It worked out very well and for those cruisers who like early or late seating...it is a good system. Also takes away the hassle to book dining and book entertainment times to match dining . All you do then is book a specialty dining venue on the night of the scheduled restaurant you do not like!

IMO (everything in this post is just my opinion), I would expect that eventually this will go fleet wide.

What seems to be the case with cruise dining, is that there is a larger preference among guests for flexible dining. However, there are those that really prefer traditional dining, as has been stated by a number of posters on this thread and other similar dining threads on CC.

The "Classic" option as stated in the video suggests a way to merge these two fairly well. Book a "traditional" time, and get the same time, table, waiter, etc. as was traditionally the case, but get some benefit of enjoying the different restaurants (OK, some might not see this as a benefit).

Ship operations don't have to change, as they effectively only see the multiple dining rooms with the general guest population arriving at different times (should be uninteresting to operations if some percentage always arrive at the same time).

Note, that details are yet to come, so asking questions on the implementation would only result in a speculative answer.

I would think that this DD/Classic will eventually be implemented on all ships with a 3-story MDR. I know some will disagree with me, but I just don't see this being implemented on the smaller ships (Radiance/Vision Classes) with only 2-story MDRs.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Here's a link to the presentation on Freedom of the Seas by Michael Bayley and Vicki Freed about the new dining concept.

What he didn't mention in the video is that that option will be limited (due to seating capacity) - like MTD is now on other ships. The only thing Classic adds to DD is a standing reservation (which you could do now) with the addition of having the same staff (which is more difficult to do now). I have a feeling that you won't have much choice with Classic - the rotation through the restaurants will be picked for you - if you don't like the rotation, tough. If you don't like formal, on Grande nights you'll have to find some place else.

I can see the thread title now - What can I do if Classic is not available on my sailing:cool:

Would the math work if they allowed all guests to eat at Coastal Kitchen and converted 1 or 2 of the bigger "pay for" restaurants to comp restaurants, thus adding more seats?

No. Take for example the CK. Seats X passengers. Convert it to complimentary and it still seats X passengers but you've added X passengers to the list of people needing seats in the MDR.

What he didn't mention in the video is that that option will be limited (due to seating capacity) - like MTD is now on other ships. The only thing Classic adds to DD is a standing reservation (which you could do now) with the addition of having the same staff (which is more difficult to do now). I have a feeling that you won't have much choice with Classic - the rotation through the restaurants will be picked for you - if you don't like the rotation, tough. If you don't like formal, on Grande nights you'll have to find some place else.

I can see the thread title now - What can I do if Classic is not available on my sailing:cool:

Well hopefully that will help balance the amount of people who chose regular DD versus the Classic option. For example, someone not wanting to eat at a formal venue should simply choose regular DD, and the same for someone who does not want to eat in Silk (or AI, or Chic).

The order of rotation must be the same but the starting restaurant must change.

While one group is doing A-B-C-D-A-B-C

Another group will be doing B-C-D-A-B-C-D

Another group will be doing C-D-A-B-C-D-A

Another group will be doing D-A-B-C-D-A-B

This means one group will have a formal night on the first night. Shouldn't be an issue since Grande was smart casual on the first night anyway. You will get three restaurants twice and one once.

Keep in mind that Quantum and Anthem typically cruise longer than 7 days (just meaning that the letters continue), but I would expect (or maybe hope, in order to not generate another problem) that this would be the basis for the rotation.

The later data would be what restaurants are replaced by the letters, or even how a guest might choose one of the rotations.

No, and as the video about the "announcement" shows, the Classic (no way RCI would want to call it rotational since that's a Disney thing) is a limited option in lieu of DD.

Or the threads "I'm being forced to do Classic...."

Not only will the seating for classic be limited, for some it won't be an option.

The OP inferred it was trade marketing manager, Vicki Freed that made the announcement. It was interestingly the new CEO and President, Michael Bayley.

The OP stated she had said DD "will be gone" in a couple of months.

The OP stated that they named the program would be named in caps, Rotational Dining and did not refer to the 'Classic Option'

I guess we heard the cheers he or she heard.

I did not hear the part about the roll-out on Anthem as stated by the OP, but that would make sense.

While I do not share the anger or frustration of RCI presenting new information at a 'trade' event, I just wish these 'Professional Travel Planners' actually listened to what was being said.

It was interesting to hear that Bayley said this will be rolled out in March/April - I have a feeling he wasn't talking about Anthem only. I'm betting that in April (or even earlier) there'll be an announcement that all Quantum and Oasis class ships will have DD with the Classic option - and then it's just a matter of time for implementation but would guess about 3+ months after the announcement.

Just adding the option for Classic in their IT system will take quite some time.

I would think that this DD/Classic will eventually be implemented on all ships with a 3-story MDR. I know some will disagree with me, but I just don't see this being implemented on the smaller ships (Radiance/Vision Classes) with only 2-story MDRs.

Possibly.

Primarily I used "eventually", it allows for any length of time. We are already seeing the Vision class being moved elsewhere, and one day all will somehow be retired and (hopefully) replaced by newer ships.

But it is feasible to split a two-story dining room into 4 separate restaurants. This is effectively what was done on Quantum. It may or may not make any sense to the company, but if DD with this added option is wildly popular, I expect they will find a way to make it work as far as possible.

Keep in mind that Quantum and Anthem typically cruise longer than 7 days (just meaning that the letters continue), but I would expect (or maybe hope, in order to not generate another problem) that this would be the basis for the rotation.

The later data would be what restaurants are replaced by the letters, or even how a guest might choose one of the rotations.

Why should they allow the passengers to make choices? We've been told 243,443 times on these threads that passengers don't like making choices. It's too difficult and too confusing. You've got to keep it simple for those who like traditional dining. An alternative name for this instead of classic dining could have been simple dining.

It was interesting to hear that Bayley said this will be rolled out in March/April - I have a feeling he wasn't talking about Anthem only. I'm betting that in April (or even earlier) there'll be an announcement that all Quantum and Oasis class ships will have DD with the Classic option - and then it's just a matter of time for implementation but would guess about 3+ months after the announcement.

Just adding the option for Classic in their IT system will take quite some time.

We, on Quantum sailings in April, have had a hard time getting entertainment booked this past week, given we have had dining booked since May 2014. I am hoping no changes are made before heading to Asia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I do think this sounds logical, I do not think we are dealing with a logical marketplace here.

I hope they roll this Classic Option out on Quantum and Anthem, continue to collect data and then set the roll-out for Oasis/Anthem/Oasis III allowing for the timing of the Allure TA sailing at the earliest.

Edited by MADflyer

I just wish these 'Professional Travel Planners' actually listened to what was being said.

Indeed! Just makes my comment: "it wouldn't be the first time someone heard what they wanted to hear only to find out that was not what was said" more appropriate.

why should they allow the passengers to make choices? We've been told 243,443 times on these threads that passengers don't like making choices. It's too difficult and too confusing. You've got to keep it simple for those who like traditional dining. An alternative name for this instead of classic dining could have been simple dining.

:eek::D