Handicap Cabins

fatdolly

I do have photos but haven't posted them yet because I need help at this end.:) If you need this I can post photos of the handicap cabins on the Dawn Princess. Presumably the cabins on other Princess ships will be rather similar.

Handicap cabins are double-size. The ones I have seen have two single beds and a lot of storage. The bathroom is enormous and has a 'ramp' so a wheelchair can enter. The shower is enormous and is at floor-level (without a lip). There is a drainage grid around the shower area and a curtain that can be pulled around.

We were assigned an accessible cabin on the Caribbean Princess last month (B304). The bathroom did not have a ramp--just the same level as the rest of the cabin. There was a ramp to get over the threshold onto the balcony. The shower area was huge. There's a drain covered with a metal grate around the shower area. It was easy to get water on the rest of the floor even with the curtain carefully drawn around us. We had the beds set up as a queen size, not two twins.

The true handicapped cabins are much more spacious than what is portrayed in that "not really handicapped Mini suite cabin".

Lots of room in the total cabin to manipulate a wheelchair around.

Princess does a really good job with space in their handicapped cabins.

This was the Grand Princess last year about this week. Note ramps into the bathroom as well as abutting ramps each side of balcony door rails. The bathroom had an accessible shower with a fold out bench. Plenty of room for two scooters, or as in this case, one person with walker and one with scooter.

1858781105_Handicap01(640x480).jpg.95dee50d70e86310b3bf01ce941a9508.jpg

2030192314_Handicap02(640x480).jpg.44f28becb5ab0976a8826542f8e2f012.jpg

You can choose to have either the same as in any cabin.

Thanks every photo I've seen and even every post I've read seems to talk about twin beds, and while I hope my wheelchair days are almost gone there is no way I'm having twin beds.

Hi

I had the pleasure of taking a non cruiser who was wheel bound, around a Grand Class ship,

they could not believe just how set up the ship was for there needs,

the wet room with extra hand rails, assistance cords, etc

the highlight of the tour was a invitation for them to meet the captain on the bridge,

yours Shogun

Can someone tell me this, do any handicap cabins have double bed, or are they all twin.

I will be able to accurately answer your question by the evening of 04/19/2016. I'm booked on the Golden Princess 2 night Melbourne-Sydney leg and have asked for a queen bed configuration.

While Princess did have subject to upgrade on my booking my TA said not to worry, "There's only 1 Disabled Accessible Stateroom with Suite Perks, the Window Suite F315 which you've booked. She doubts Princess would, having been advised of my Disabled Accessibility requirements, move me from a Window Suite to a Premium Balcony Stateroom which, until I was told about the Window Suites, I intended to book for myself.

Any other questions you have re Disabled Accessibility on the Golden Princess just post and I'll make a note of the request for information. I already have at least 1 notebook pretty well full of notes for research; hints; prices of drinks and souvenirs to help with budgeting. It's a straight 2 night cruise from Melbourne to Sydney, so no Port tours to worry about this time-Tasmania for my 60th birthday is another matter.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Can anyone tell me about hanicap cabins. wheel chair . Any pictures would be great. Thanks

I use a wheelchair full-time and have cruised with Princess 3 times including twice as a solo cruiser and once in a Window Suite on the Golden Princess. The bed configuration in accessible staterooms is the same as any other, can be a twin or Queen. The non-accessible Window Suite (F301) we had on the Golden while in Alaska had the Queen bed and a pullout sofa. This made for a tight space. It is my understanding the Accessible Window Suite has much more room. The staterooms themselves are much larger than your average stateroom and the balconies have always been large enough for my wheelchair.

If they aren't removed, I have placed two links to Accessible articles I have written for wheelchairtravelingdotcom. One is from the Ruby Princess and the other is from Royal on her Maiden Caribbean Voyage. I hope they will be of some help to you.

http://www.wheelchairtraveling.com/accessible-western-caribbean-cruise-onboard-the-ruby-princess-for-wheelchairs-and-seniors/

http://www.wheelchairtraveling.com/accessible-caribbean-cruise-on-the-royal-princess/

I will be able to accurately answer your question by the evening of 04/19/2016. I'm booked on the Golden Princess 2 night Melbourne-Sydney leg and have asked for a queen bed configuration.

While Princess did have subject to upgrade on my booking my TA said not to worry, "There's only 1 Disabled Accessible Stateroom with Suite Perks, the Window Suite F315 which you've booked. She doubts Princess would, having been advised of my Disabled Accessibility requirements, move me from a Window Suite to a Premium Balcony Stateroom which, until I was told about the Window Suites, I intended to book for myself.

Any other questions you have re Disabled Accessibility on the Golden Princess just post and I'll make a note of the request for information. I already have at least 1 notebook pretty well full of notes for research; hints; prices of drinks and souvenirs to help with budgeting. It's a straight 2 night cruise from Melbourne to Sydney, so no Port tours to worry about this time-Tasmania for my 60th birthday is another matter.

Crochetcruise :cool:

A few pretty important questions to me IF I need to return to a chair:

1. What are door width like throughout the ship

2. Are there extra power points in the cabin to handle some of the equipment that I may need

3. Might sound silly but table height in MDR some ships the table comes to your chin (wella slight exageration perhaps but high all the same) on a normal chair and if your wheelchair is little low as my travel chair is, I can see a real issue

4. Access to tables in Horozin Court so many seem to have "fixed" seats on one side and limited acces to many of the others, if there are a limited number of tables you can get too they need to be reserved for those in chairs

I may think of more later.

Thank you, good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Can anyone tell me about hanicap cabins. wheel chair . Any pictures would be great. Thanks

You may want to post the name of the ship as they are not all the same.

You may want to check out the Disabled Cruise Travel board at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Do you have any specific questions?

We had a HP Minisuite (no, we didn't need it nor ask for it) in Emerald. It was 50% larger than standard...2 HPs in the space of 3 Std.

As Geoherb states, the bath area is at floor level. The shower is surrounded by floor drains, with another drain across the entryway. There is a fold-away seat for those who do not want to get the wheelchair wet.

It seemed to have all the room anyone could need or want.

Steve